The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WTF?! A 14 hour course on how to be more productive working at home?!?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's how to get more productive working from home: Don't take fecking 14 hour courses on how to be more productive working from home. And don't be enticed by the damn certificate at the end.

Sheesh. I wonder how many people actually went through this?

I forget sometimes the difference between how entrepreneurial types think and employee types think.

Or am I just getting old and cynical?

> Remote Working: Setting Yourself and Your Teams Up for Success

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
I forget sometimes the difference between how entrepreneurial types think and employee types think.

No, rest assured you're not haha.

Entrepreneurs need to create and innovate. If they can't create a routine, that fits their lifestyle. Then they're probably going to find every step of their journey to be a real drag, constantly searching for the next magic bullet.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I'll never understand the buzz around the word "productivity".

Is it really that hard to do your job? I consider myself an extremely lazy person, but I've never had any issue with getting stuff done.

What do they even need 14 hours for? I'd say that 2 hours are more than enough time to figure out what process to follow to be productive.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
My guess is this market is very very hot right now.

It all depends on what the user gets out of it. Not sure how much it is, but if they spent $500 or 1k on it, and learned something that made them more than that, OR saved them time to spend with their family or whatever, I'd say it's worth it.

Most people buying courses never even OPEN the course, let alone put the information into action.

That's on them tho. Good for whoever created it providing value to a market. If the market pays, the product will continue to exist.

That being said, my thoughts on "productivity."

The #1 most productive thing you can do is hire someone to do a task that's 3-5x better than you at it.

The only other legitimate "productivity" hacks I've found are:

Intermittent Fasting (I fast until I'm done working for the day)
Good sleep
Good nutrition
Good water intake

If you're actually dialed in, that will get you 90% of the way there.

Also if someone is working 12+ hours a day for any extended period of time, they are not being productive. They are doing busy work. Periods of hardcore work are very much necessary, but anything longer than say 6 months working like that, you'll just burn out. 6 months is even pushing it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My guess is this market is very very hot right now.

It all depends on what the user gets out of it. Not sure how much it is, but if they spent $500 or 1k on it, and learned something that made them more than that, OR saved them time to spend with their family or whatever, I'd say it's worth it.

Most people buying courses never even OPEN the course, let alone put the information into action.

That's on them tho. Good for whoever created it providing value to a market. If the market pays, the product will continue to exist.

That being said, my thoughts on "productivity."

The #1 most productive thing you can do is hire someone to do a task that's 3-5x better than you at it.

The only other legitimate "productivity" hacks I've found are:

Intermittent Fasting (I fast until I'm done working for the day)
Good sleep
Good nutrition
Good water intake

If you're actually dialed in, that will get you 90% of the way there.

Also if someone is working 12+ hours a day for any extended period of time, they are not being productive. They are doing busy work. Periods of hardcore work are very much necessary, but anything longer than say 6 months working like that, you'll just burn out. 6 months is even pushing it.
Good hacks.

I’ll add that a good productivity hack is to find out your super power and try to do more of that, rather than trying to improve your weaknesses.

In the case of the course listed, it’s “free” on LinkedIn, so long as you don’t value those 14 hours. Agreed that it’s a hot subject right now.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Here's how to get more productive working from home: Don't take fecking 14 hour courses on how to be more productive working from home. And don't be enticed by the damn certificate at the end.

View attachment 32945
Andy, I am old and cynical. You are definitely not those things mate. You are close to being a feckin saint in my eyes.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

View attachment 32945
Did you find this in the "irony" section?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
14 hours does seem like a bit much lol

Although I could see the value in a simple 2-hour course on efficient home office setup, tracking progress, kanban boards, recommended tools, etc.

The price of 2-hours is cheap if you're missing multiples more on lost productive time during the week due to messy organization and inefficient work processes.

Hell, I'd pay $50 for something like that. Hint...hint...

Most people have no idea how to work from home effectively...
(slowly raises hand)

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I'm not surprised that someone would take a course like this. It's more surprising how someone came up with 14 hours worth of course content for it.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I’ll add that a good productivity hack is to find out your super power and try to do more of that, rather than trying to improve your weaknesses.

Self awareness is the BIGGEST life hack, you're right! 10x strengths outsource weaknesses immediately. Become self aware, take personality tests, realize your natural +s and -s. Realize what you LIKE doing and are naturally good at. Most people NEVER figure this out!

That's really all there is to it. It's easier said than done. It took me YEARS of constant mental, spiritual, and emotional improvement to figure this stuff out. Literally feels like a veil is being lifted from your face.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
14 hours does seem like a bit much lol

Although I could see the value in a simple 2-hour course on efficient home office setup, tracking progress, kanban boards, recommended tools, etc.

The price of 2-hours is cheap if you're missing multiples more on lost productive time during the week due to messy organization and inefficient work processes.

Hell, I'd pay $50 for something like that. Hint...hint...

Most people have no idea how to work from home effectively...
(slowly raises hand)
I think they just bundled together a heap of courses and made it a productivity course. I suppose that’s quite a quick and productive way of making a new course (and turning people into consumers).

Funny you mention you could do with a short “working from home” course. I started a thread here:
> Tips Working Remotely

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Self awareness is the BIGGEST life hack, you're right! 10x strengths outsource weaknesses immediately. Become self aware, take personality tests, realize your natural +s and -s. Realize what you LIKE doing and are naturally good at. Most people NEVER figure this out!

That's really all there is to it. It's easier said than done. It took me YEARS of constant mental, spiritual, and emotional improvement to figure this stuff out. Literally feels like a veil is being lifted from your face.
100%

I talk about it in the second radio interview in my signature:
> (Radio Interview) Freedom, Motivation, & Grow What You Know

Shazelle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 13, 2020
Staffordshire

View attachment 32945
No you're not old and cynical you read this one spot on!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The only people who I would think would buy it are people buying it for their teams, the same people who think a 5-day intensive course on corporate values or sensitivity training is a good investment. Lol

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lmao real action faking material in that course
No kidding. Does anyone really need to take a course on how to use 4 different video conferencing tools? I've used a bunch of them and they are all pretty intuitive.

Here is my 14 second version:

Click "Join"
Click mic icon to mute/unmute
Click camera icon to turn camera on and off

Done. That'll be $9.99 please.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Does anyone really need to take a course on how to use 4 different video conferencing tools?
I presume you need to finish all four of those lessons if you want the certificate that shows you learned how to work from home.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This is why udemy sucks as a course creator.

If your course isn't 10 hours long filled with bullshit, it's crap.

People make longer courses purely for perceived value, and students buy it because they think longer is better.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
People make longer courses purely for perceived value, and students buy it because they think longer is better.
Slight correction:

“SOME people make longer courses purely for perceived value, BECAUSE **students** buy it because they think longer is better.”

If you look at how I positioned my course I did it to appeal to people who value their time rather than people who don’t.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Slight correction:

“SOME people make longer courses purely for perceived value, BECAUSE **students** buy it because they think longer is better.”

If you look at how I positioned my course I did it to appeal to people who value their time rather than people who don’t.
I think it depends on the platform.

Udemy is known for 95% discounts and 14 hour courses.

If you simply go to where your customers are, you might fair better like you’ve seen.

Create_Value

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Aug 9, 2018
Love it! It really is ironic. I recently released a productivity course for entrepreneurs, but it’s all high level strategy stuff with a time-ROI of 1000% or more...

...like only doing what you are best at and hiring people for everthing else instead of trying to learn new things to later create an SOP for it, hire for it, and train someone to do it.

But this post got me laughing because there’s certainly something wrong with spending 14 hours to learn how to adapt to high efficiency in the home environment.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Pro-tip: pomodoro technique. It's free and works.
There you go. That didn’t even take 14 seconds to read, never mind 14 hours.

D

Deleted78083

Slight correction:

That is me entirely, i buy longer courses because i think i have more value from it, it's probably stupid....

How long do you think a course should last? I guess you'll tell me it depends on the topic, but what would be your minimum and maximum length?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How long do you think a course should last? I guess you'll tell me it depends on the topic, but what would be your minimum and maximum length?
1) I think a course should ideally be the minimum amount of time needed to get the result intended.

2) It’s often harder to make a short course so the time to get the course out there could be factored in. For instance, I may think: “Am I doing people a disservice trying to create a 4 minute video when I could publish a 10 minute video much sooner?“

3) What will people buy? Will they think a course has to be a minimum of 30 minutes? An hour? Can I bring out a 15 minute course on precisely one topic, or is that just a “lesson”?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Sounds like a bunch of corporate jargon and buzzwords that would take up 2 8 hour work days to go through.

Maybe for people who are just warm bodiesin an office chair at their jobs, it’s a good way to waste company time and get paid for it.

“how to sound confident on your next video call” how about you know what your talking about? People who know what they’re talking about are automatically confident and don’t have to think “ooo maybe Ishould raise my voice a bit or sit up more”

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.