The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will people pay to learn things they could otherwise learn for free?

Idea threads

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway
I have a few ideas of a course i could make, but this is a skill that is easy to learn completely for free.
Will people pay you for something you could otherwise find free on youtube, facebook, etc?

I would never pay for a course which i could get for free, but i see there is a rising demand in this subject. Most of the competirors who were selling courses, were genuinly pretty bad nad old school.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
I have a few ideas of a course i could make, but this is a skill that is easy to learn completely for free.
Will people pay you for something you could otherwise find free on youtube, facebook, etc?

I would never pay for a course which i could get for free, but i see there is a rising demand in this subject. Most of the competirors who were selling courses, were genuinly pretty bad nad old school.
Went and looked through all the 50+ courses I bought on Udemy with one question - could I learn this for free on YouTube? In each instance the answer was yes. But I still bought them.

Unless you host in-person practical sessions there is no way you can make a course so unique that everyone will want to buy it. But people still buy them. Go figure why. For me it is convenience and size/structure. On YouTube you rarely see 30 hours of content that is convenient to consume and structured. No-one on YouTube wants to upload low-performing videos, so every educating content there usually degrades to bullet-like "follow me doing this" tutorials.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India

If people didnt consume paid courses, platforms like Udemy wouldn't exist.

Here are the primary reasons that I believe people buy courses-
1. Structure (as explained by @Maxkaz )
2. It gives a person more motivation to complete the course because one has actually bought it with their own money.
3. Gives a person the 'environment' to learn. It allows you to ask questions directly to the instructor, and most courses have some form of forum to communicate with other learners as well.
4. Projects, personalized feedbacks etc.

Although what I see is that in the platforms in which you can sell courses, only the top-quality courses get 90% of the sales. This includes the top 3-5 courses in a niche. You can see this yourself. So if you plan on making a paid course, your quality needs to be really good. Plus if you have some form of social proof, like if you can show your works, projects in the niche, then the people would be more likely to buy.

But at the end, just swing the bat man. Even if you end up making 0 sales you would learn valuable skills in the process. Dont spend a lot of time overanalysing imo.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I usually look for products that are paid, including with learning.

"Free" usually means I'm just paying with more time or more irritation (ie ad supported) and is often a red flag for me that what's on offer isn't that valuable. I do appreciate free trials though.

For paid learning specifically I need to see
1 - coherent structure
2 - a clear reason why i should trust the teacher(s)
3 - i need to see a sample of the content, if the teacher is hard to understand or i find them slow or annoying then i pass. I like people to get to the point.

You get both of those I'll pay if its something i want to learn.

I'm personally not interested in assignments and having access to direct feedback isn't a deal breaker but this is a big value add and would increase the perceived value of the course a lot.

Courses I've bough have been on Udemy and I used to have a Coursera subscription. In each case i followed 1,2,3 above. I've also purchased Udemy courses for my team related to improving specific skills. Not all are business related either, ive purchased courses on Udemy related to drawing which is something I just like to do and wanted to get better at. I could definitely find these on Youtube but there is so much noise and it's unclearly organized so i just found some Udemy courses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some people value their time more than their money. They often don't trust or want free.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 17, 2024
People equate cost with value. If this course is teaching something that I can learn for free somewhere else, it must be better than the free course then right? The answer is usually yes.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
People will always pay for an effective way to learn anything. eg Driving lessons they could just figure out themselves, art classes, language classes, dance classes and University as mentioned above.

Companies pay huge amounts of money to put staff on training programmes.

Look at this for example. £4800 + VAT for 2 x half day sessions, so approx 8 hours of live learning plus access to a library of pre-recorded videos.

15 people per course = £72,000 + VAT and there's no real way to assess if the course delivers anything tangible to the companies that send staff to them. Vodafone being one of them.

Dan

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You can always sell things that people can otherwise find for free, just add a few tweaks (value skews) here or there.

Brain.fm comes to mind -- a lot of the stuff on there you can find on YouTube or Spotify.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.