The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why You Shouldn't Major in Minor Things

Anything related to matters of the mind

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I've been reading this forum for quite some time now.

One thing you'll notice quickly are the value takers and the value givers.

The "successful happy people" post NOTHING but pure value. They make threads giving awesome advice tips and tricks for entrepreneurs. They provide value.

They would never make a thread asking questions or asking for help, for a few different reasons...if they ask a question it's a rare occasion and it would be a specific question, not broad.

I can't provide any value like they do of course, I'm just a simple sidewalker, however the value I can provide, instead of giving advice on what you can do, I can tell you what not to do.

An Example of Majoring in Minor Things

I spent the last 2 days, about 10 hours total, researching watches.

I've never bought a watch for myself. I noticed a couple co workers wearing nice watches. They sparked my interest.

Started researching watch forums, brands, prices, quality.

Started daydreaming, producing anxiety, adrenaline, dopamine, stress.

My Ego started drooling quickly.

Did I mention I was broke? Yep, no money, couple hundred in the bank.

But what do I have? Credit cards. Not even 0 balance credit cards, I have SOME credit available.

Enough credit available to buy a fancy watch to boost my ego, make me feel good for the moment to spend money, money I don't even have, raise my self esteem for a week, cause more stress racking up more credit card debt? Absolutely yes.

Lets review:

I saw a couple guys wearing watches. It triggered a chain of thoughts in my head. Started fantasizing about having a watch. My ego would be boosted. It always feel great spending money.

I spend 10 hours researching watches, to buy a watch that I can't afford, that would cost me a lot more than the watch itself because of credit card interest, to feed my ego, when at the end of the day, owning even a half a million dollar watch, means absolutely nothing in life.

I majored in a very minor thing, now those 10 hours ( it was actually much more than 10 hours ) I will never get back, I should have been focusing on building wealth for myself, applying for ODesk jobs, learning more, providing value to people.

Hopefully someone gets some value from this.

Stay focused on the major things, things that will change your life and other lives for the better...
not this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I love the self realization that had to take place for you to identify this in your self. Most people are only good at seeing what others are doing wrong. So you're making a powerful step by seeing your own time/productivity leaks, which will allow you to create better habits.

Thanks for the post, I had this same issue in the past so don't worry you're not alone, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Ok, so you understand that the end game (acquiring the watch) probably isn't all that important to you.

But - you did enjoy the process (finding the watch).

Anyway you could make money (from others) by going through (enjoying) that process?

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I've seen guys spend hundreds of hours researching and fantasizing over Armani suits, Lambos, Breitlings, boats, etc. The truth is if they'd put the same amount of time into working at even a decent job, let alone a fastlane (say $200/day) they'd have damn near paid for the thing they were dreaming about being able to afford.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
They would never make a thread asking questions or asking for help, for a few different reasons...if they ask a question it's a rare occasion and it would be a specific question, not broad.
"Asking questions (permission) is simply a way of avoiding action. When you ask a question you get to wait for an answer. Waiting is the opposite of doing." -Victor Pride
Stay focused on the major things, things that will change your life and other lives for the better...
not this.
Agreed. 80/20 the shit out of your life. "It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." -Bruce Lee

P.S. Babe Ruth led baseball in strike-outs for 30 years. Kobe Bryant leads the NBA in shots missed all-time. It doesn't matter who you were in the past or how many times you fell flat on your face. Get up. The only thing that matters is what you will achieve.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Its not about what you get, it's about the person who you become.

On the subject of working just to be able to buy stuff.

"If I work another 10 hours this week I can finally finance a BMW".

"I can't wait to get rich so I can buy a mansion and a Ferrari".

I need to get out the "paradigm" of wanting to make a ton of money to buy stuff.

The stuff doesn't matter. Your brain tells you it matters, it's lying to you.

Nothing wrong with wanting and buying nice things. But it can consume your mind if you let it.

Acquiring nice things is great, it teaches you almost instantly that it makes no difference in your life.

They are nothing but distractions.

Spending hours on end researching things to buy when you should be working on yourself and your business.

You have to make that 1% progress everyday, if you don't, go ahead and open that 401k and put 10% of your paycheck in it every week and welcome to the life of everyone else.

I'm surrounded by average and below average people at all times, they get distracted by everything, they themselves are a distraction.

Stay focused on your vision. Don't get distracted.

Schmidty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jan 19, 2014
Santa Barbara, CA
Beautiful.

Thankfully,for me, the couple of hours a day spent dreaming about the watches and boats doesn't lead to the "add to cart" button, but here.

Cheers.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
If you enjoy the process, guess what - you are already living the millionaire lifestyle.

The money is just a formality.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
You should be so busy, so engaged and in love with the process.

Buying "stuff" shouldn't even cross your mind.

Did Steve Jobs day dream about the next exotic car he's going to buy?

Did Mark Cuban constantly think about what he was going to spend his millions on?

They and other success stories focus on the goal.

They focus on things that actually matter. The big picture.

Taking time off to even go shopping sounds absolutely ridiculous when your working on something much bigger than yourselves.

Being focused on accomplishing something of that magnitude, motivates you even further knowing what your working on will impact the lives of thousands.

Instead of working for what it does for you, you shift to a paradigm of being motivated working knowing that other peoples lives will improve because of what your building.

Focus on building something greater and more important than yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.