The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what you love ?

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Personally, I love custom vehicles. I love everything about them, wheels, grills, the paint jobs, engines, and car audio! I intend to open a chain of customizing shops that I plan to make award-winning, and I also intend to start a custom car magazine. This has already been done in terms of like "DUB" (which BTW was started by custom car-loving guys) and "Rides," but I still will start my own.

I also intend to start, as an off-shoot of the shops, a tuning company, that develops parts like custom grills, wheels, etc...this all may take awhile and I am not pursuing it just yet, but I will.

There are other things I am passionate about as well, so I will pursue them too, like robotics.

For a long time I've wondered why no one printed a robotics magazine, but they just started one (Robot magazine!), so I will start a competitor...I have loads of ideas for other stuff too, my problem is focusing on one idea and following it right now (at the moment an ecommerce business to start getting that initial capital!).

lkn2bfd, you say you do not understand the Web? I do not know of any opportunities per se on the Web for businesses, and I am not any Web expert (yet :D), but a good starting place to begin learning might be here: http://www.w3schools.com/ There are also tons of books out there on the subject. Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
WheelsRCool-

Focus, focus, focus. :)

-Russ H.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi :)

How about you open a nursing agency/supplemental staffing agency.. and have your wife work as an independent contractor for a little while until you can bring on more help?

If you go through NSO the insurance premium on an agency is under $500 a year, your wife has a license as a nurse, plenty of folks can help you start a C corp or LLC here...I know my sig other would since he started a corp for me a year ago so I could be an IC and has several for his buisness stuff.

So wow her boss does a half a$$ job..so does that mean people in the area would be looking for another place that did a great job? ..are there *any* places that do a bang-up job? How about a service to help families find the places that do a bang up job? I used to work in assisted living/nursing homes, I know how scary it can be for families, and often they really don't know where to turn for information...doesn't cost much to start providng information..That nursing degree has so many uses. :) good luck!

Checked into the home health care you would have to form some type of corp or llc be licensed,insured,bonded really don't have the money for this there is a lot of liability. my budget is very small $1000 but is a very good Idea could make millions my wife's boss owns to assisted living facility's and does a half *** job of running them and he's made millions one thing is for sure they will always be in demand the place my wife works has a waiting list if that tells you anything

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Checked into the home health care you would have to form some type of corp or llc be licensed,insured,bonded really don't have the money for this there is a lot of liability. my budget is very small $1000 but is a very good Idea could make millions my wife's boss owns to assisted living facility's and does a half *** job of running them and he's made millions one thing is for sure they will always be in demand the place my wife works has a waiting list if that tells you anything

This is exactly why I believe we should have a "SLOWLANE MENTALITY FLAG".

You are thinking very very small.
You are thinking negatively (I can't; it won't work; it's too difficult).

The reason you don't want to go after this idea is because there is lot of liability? Then stop driving today. Do not invite anybody to your house, EVER AGAIN. Do not work with any customers while at your job (you could get sued.. not only your employer, you too could be sued personally).

If you want to really make a change in your life then start changing the way you think. If you don't believe is possible then, for sure, it won't happen. Otherwise you will keep feeling like a loser not only at 29, but at 39, 49, 59, etc etc

You just recognized a HUGE opportunity. You have the most important asset of all needed to make this business successful (your wife's experience and license). What else do you need? Correct, you need more things. List the things that need to happen or that you need to have and find ways to get them and make them happen.

BeingChewsie, Rep++ for a great idea and the right mindset.
ATW, excellent reply.

While lkn2bfd is just finding problems and excuses you two are finding and providing solutions.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
This is exactly why I believe we should have a "SLOWLANE MENTALITY FLAG"

Yes, there should be a Slowlane flag. That way, people who are posting can become aware of their mental standing among others, if needed. I think many people need a little push to get them out of their comfort zone, and that's when many, finally, decide to take action. So, a flag can be used to motivate for the better.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I love the idea of being flagged...like they do at the races. What flag do the wave when a car gets off the track? I think it is black. Whatever. Anyhow, I like the idea of calling attention to thinking small. If we all agree that we are here for personal development we need to learn how to take constructive criticism.

I know that when I first started expanding my mental horizons lots of fears and excuses popped into my head and out of my mouth (I still wrestle with this). "Too expensive, out of my comfort zone, too far, too close, too cheap" and so on. It is easy to look at these excuses as reasons, and then to justify these reasons as being realistic. The reality is that your reality is only limited by what you can think. My advice is to just practice thinking of the most far fetched scenerio...and just get comfortable thinking that large. That's it. There's no pressure to act on anything now, just practice developing your thinking large muscle. Humor me and post back with an ideal situation about you wife starting an assisted living program, or whatever your dream would be. Don't be "realistic" at all. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Quick reply:

To the OP:

You may find that doing anything nursing related is not the way you want to go. I suggested it is because it is something available at your fingertips now...even if it isn't the activity of looking at ideas and researching ideas with the mindset that the money will be found or the mindset that you already have the money can help you move beyond that "I can't" into "hell yes I can"...

I only say this because not too long ago I thought just like you. I followed a link to this forum about a month ago and just in that month, everything has changed for me...much to the relief of my sig other who had been dragging me along with him kicking and screaming and with me being negative the whole time. We used to drive around Newport Beach and the Island and I'd say "What do those people do for a living that they can afford that house?"...well now I know the things they do and not only that I can do them too! I can't believe I ever thought I couldn't.

You might find nursing related service isn't your or your wifes "vehicle", that is OK.

Just keep posting here and reading.

Sue

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
You know, I always mention this when this topic comes up, and I'm usually the odd man out. I disagree with the notion of 'Do what you love and the money will follow.' It could just as easily be...'do what you love, and you'll end up hating it.'

To me; making money and doing what you love can be mutually exclusive; you can still have a passion for being financially free, but it doesn't HAVE to be linked to doing what you enjoy; enusring that we make the generalization of linking them for everyone means just the opposite results for many.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Yes, there should be a Slowlane flag. That way, people who are posting can become aware of their mental standing among others, if needed. I think many people need a little push to get them out of their comfort zone, and that's when many, finally, decide to take action. So, a flag can be used to motivate for the better.

What about allowing us to bring speeds down also?

'Cause I'm flattered by the bump ups truly
but I'm going way too fast
(wait, I just had a Driving Miss Daisy moment).

I've got the windows open
and the wind is messing up my hair.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
To me; making money and doing what you love can be mutually exclusive; you can still have a passion for being financially free, but it doesn't HAVE to be linked to doing what you enjoy;

Technically, that is true. But I think the key is the PASSION. The biggest problem with many today is that they have no passion for anything whether it be financial freedom, the work they do, family, etc. So, instead of "do what you love and the money will follow" how about "be passionate about something and you can be successful (whatever your definition of success might entail)."

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
Actually, I like that better. Let me sip on it a while and see how it tastes. :smx6:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Kidgas, well said.

Kimberland, we discussed the speed down already and agreed not to do it. You are going waaay too fast to have the windows down anyway... why don't you try a Britney Spears haircut (i.e. go bald) and see if that fixes the bad hair day issue.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
I know I'm in the slow lane that's why I'm here for some inspiration for that extra push. As far as the home health care my wife and I are checking it out just think 20 sitters charge $16 an hour pay the sitter $8 pocket $8 working 8 hours a day what is that $1280 a day $8960 a week $465920 a year wow not bad

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I know I'm in the slow lane that's why I'm here for some inspiration for that extra push. As far as the home health care my wife and I are checking it out just think 20 sitters charge $16 an hour pay the sitter $8 pocket $8 working 8 hours a day what is that $1280 a day $8960 a week $465920 a year wow not bad
A step in the right direction! Good!

Now think of how you can get that $16/hour higher. For instance, you could offer meals for an extra $10 per meal. Depends who you're dealing with. If you're dealing with kids, you could come up with some special activities. Maybe even some trips? Running a business involves a lot of creativity and innovation. Sorry, I meant running a GREAT business.

Good luck. Keep pushing in the right direction. If this turns out to be something you don't necessarily have that much interest in, no worries. Take what you've learned and move on!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Now that's more like it.... and yes, 400K a year is not bad at all.
So, you just demonstrated that you can think of details and can dream. Next steps?

From now on, just dream, think, breath this business. Keep talking to your wife about your business. Refer to her as business owner. When driving by, search for the ideal location for it. Think about the logo, what colors you want to have for the sign, visualize it. You have to keep the momentum. Now that you have seen the possibilities you have to focus on defining those little things that need to happen to make this a reality.

Rents in your area? Location has to be good. Also, remember you need to make sure the location is 'accessible'.
Where you should advertise so people can find your business?
What type of business should it be? (I think you said it has to be an LLC)
Do you know an insurance agent that can give you a quote for a business like this?
I'm sure there are dozens of things to think about, so start soon.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Depending on which route you take in the health care field, but assisted living (at least with development diabilities) generally are 5013c (non profit). ...Just because a business operates as a non profit doesn't mean they don't make money.

As soon as you start honing in on what you want to do and who you want to serve, let us know. I am very excited for you both!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.