The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The do what you love fallacy!

Demaine

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 24, 2022
Hello to you all,

My name is Demaine I would firstly like to thank MJ DeMarco for the books and for the forum which are inspiring me on a new journey.

A little about why I'm here:

I was a huge believer in the do what you love lifestyle choice.
However after over 20 years in the workplace and many attempts at different idealistic pursuits, I have finally realised I have got it wrong.

Although I won't go into detail on all of my endeavours over the years. I will mention one that had a big impact.

Around 10 years ago I decided to become a Helicopter pilot.
To obtain the commercial license is around $80K, which I didn't have. So I got a loan, dumb idea I know! But I learned my lesson.

Anyway I did manage to complete the training.

However learning more about the commercial world of helicopters, everything is timed to the second and flights are mostly mundane and repeative.

You're basically just a glorified bus driver.

I knew I had made big mistake, the thing I loved most about flying was the feeling of freedom but when it becomes a job it's not the same.

So long story short, I understood passions don't always make good careers.

So here I am, realising that working for someone else is not the way to go and trying to live life by my own terms by living the unscripted lifestyle.

Thankyou to everyone on the forum.

Regards

Demaine

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
To do what you love you must first do what you hate :)

I believe that's (close to) a quote from unscripted .

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hello to you all,

My name is Demaine I would firstly like to thank MJ DeMarco for the books and for the forum which are inspiring me on a new journey.

A little about why I'm here:

I was a huge believer in the do what you love lifestyle choice.
However after over 20 years in the workplace and many attempts at different idealistic pursuits, I have finally realised I have got it wrong.

Although I won't go into detail on all of my endeavours over the years. I will mention one that had a big impact.

Around 10 years ago I decided to become a Helicopter pilot.
To obtain the commercial license is around $80K, which I didn't have. So I got a loan, dumb idea I know! But I learned my lesson.

Anyway I did manage to complete the training.

However learning more about the commercial world of helicopters, everything is timed to the second and flights are mostly mundane and repeative.

You're basically just a glorified bus driver.

I knew I had made big mistake, the thing I loved most about flying was the feeling of freedom but when it becomes a job it's not the same.

So here I am, realising that working for someone else is not the way to go and trying to live life by my own terms by living the unscripted lifestyle.

Thankyou to everyone on the forum.

Regards

Demaine
I think it depends on the person. I think to be able to follow your passion straight away in life you have to be very lucky and happen to have a job that pays good money and is in demand then its easy to follow your passion.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I turned my passion/hobby into a business. It's worked out - 18 years in, 40 employees in two offices.

That said, I am no longer that interested in my passion/hobby. I do it about 99% less than I did in the past.
And... that's ok.

I can still talk about this business with passion and enthusiasm - even if I don't do it anymore.
My experience is... if you can SERVE others in your niche/hobby. Provide real value - then you can absolutely "do what you love" for a career.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Passion is vital for a successful career, but not in the way most people think.

You don't do what you love. You learn to love what you do.
If you can't find true motivation within you to do your job, you will be mediocre at it.

Blindly following your passion can result in catastrophe:
  • If your passion does not bring value to anyone, you will starve
  • If you don't implement it properly, your passion will die and you will start hating what you once loved

So never follow your passion. But always bring it with you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...