The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to investing, including crypto

IronGoat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 10, 2022
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm interested in the opinions of savvy investors and entrepreneurs on my situation.

Upon the sale of a rental property I stand to make about $250k net after tax and commissions.

For a bit of history, I had my FTE last summer and left a six-figure career to become self-employed as a manufacturer's rep in November doing B2B sales. As you probably know, getting paid as a rep can take some time. The sale is made, then it must be delivered, then the customer pays your principal, and then finally your principal pays you...this process can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on a variety of factors. My wife also had her FTE and left her six-figure career to go full time as a realtor earlier this year.

As I began to think about what I'd do with the money, I came up with a few options:
  • Buy a business. I currently live in CA and I'm not a fan, but I have personal commitments that prevent me from moving. The goal is to pick up stakes and get out of here in about two years, so anything brick-and-mortar wouldn't work in the near term, so perhaps something in e-commerce. I already have a print on demand side hustle and I am copywriting as well, so it would have to be passive or lucrative enough for me to justify me dumping one of the other gigs (preferably the copywriting, as it takes a lot of time).
  • Liquid investment with a low rate of return. There's uncertainty associated with the 100% commission gig that I'm currently engaged in, and it would be nice to have additional cushion to fall back on during the lean months. My wife is less of a gambler than I am, so a $250k parachute would help keep her from worrying about money, but having that money lose value during this hyper-inflationary period isn't desirable.
  • Dividend stocks. I was reading an article where someone with a similar investment of around $250k claimed to be making roughly $2700/mo in passive income. I'm no whiz at stocks, so picking the right portfolio to match this performance could be challenging.
  • Crypto. I hopped on the crypto bandwagon at the height of the market last spring and after suffering some losses, my portfolio is back to where it started. As much as I like crypto, in my opinion there's a significant amount of uncertainty in this market now that it has the attention of politicians, governments have successfully frozen people's crypto assets for disagreeing with public policy, increasingly haphazard and uninformed regulation, and now lawsuits against exchanges, etc. by jilted investors. Not saying I'm done with this market, but I'm not sure how much more I want to invest in it in the near term.
  • Buy another property. While it was a write-off, the property being sold barely netted a couple hundred dollars a month after expenses, and then in between renters I was often out a few grand for new carpet, etc. I could pay cash for a property in a different state (can't get much for $250k here in CA) and have nearly 100% cash flow each month, but I'm concerned that we're at the height of this real estate market and the Fed is going to start jacking interest rates to combat this inflation. I bought the property at the height of the boom just before the bubble popped in 2008 and it's been a wild ride that I'm not too keen on repeating.
I'll add as a footnote that I have just under $1M in my 401k. There's been a couple of evenings while sipping a whiskey that I thought about what I'd do with that money and my $250k combined, but I haven't sufficiently researched the pros/cons of that course of action.

All this said, what would you do with $250k? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

okamndud

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 17, 2022
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm interested in the opinions of savvy investors and entrepreneurs on my situation.

Upon the sale of a rental property I stand to make about $250k net after tax and commissions.

For a bit of history, I had my FTE last summer and left a six-figure career to become self-employed as a manufacturer's rep in November doing B2B sales. As you probably know, getting paid as a rep can take some time. The sale is made, then it must be delivered, then the customer pays your principal, and then finally your principal pays you...this process can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on a variety of factors. My wife also had her FTE and left her six-figure career to go full time as a realtor earlier this year.

As I began to think about what I'd do with the money, I came up with a few options:
  • Buy a business. I currently live in CA and I'm not a fan, but I have personal commitments that prevent me from moving. The goal is to pick up stakes and get out of here in about two years, so anything brick-and-mortar wouldn't work in the near term, so perhaps something in e-commerce. I already have a print on demand side hustle and I am copywriting as well, so it would have to be passive or lucrative enough for me to justify me dumping one of the other gigs (preferably the copywriting, as it takes a lot of time).
  • Liquid investment with a low rate of return. There's uncertainty associated with the 100% commission gig that I'm currently engaged in, and it would be nice to have additional cushion to fall back on during the lean months. My wife is less of a gambler than I am, so a $250k parachute would help keep her from worrying about money, but having that money lose value during this hyper-inflationary period isn't desirable.
  • Dividend stocks. I was reading an article where someone with a similar investment of around $250k claimed to be making roughly $2700/mo in passive income. I'm no whiz at stocks, so picking the right portfolio to match this performance could be challenging.
  • Crypto. I hopped on the crypto bandwagon at the height of the market last spring and after suffering some losses, my portfolio is back to where it started. As much as I like crypto, in my opinion there's a significant amount of uncertainty in this market now that it has the attention of politicians, governments have successfully frozen people's crypto assets for disagreeing with public policy, increasingly haphazard and uninformed regulation, and now lawsuits against exchanges, etc. by jilted investors. Not saying I'm done with this market, but I'm not sure how much more I want to invest in it in the near term.
  • Buy another property. While it was a write-off, the property being sold barely netted a couple hundred dollars a month after expenses, and then in between renters I was often out a few grand for new carpet, etc. I could pay cash for a property in a different state (can't get much for $250k here in CA) and have nearly 100% cash flow each month, but I'm concerned that we're at the height of this real estate market and the Fed is going to start jacking interest rates to combat this inflation. I bought the property at the height of the boom just before the bubble popped in 2008 and it's been a wild ride that I'm not too keen on repeating.
I'll add as a footnote that I have just under $1M in my 401k. There's been a couple of evenings while sipping a whiskey that I thought about what I'd do with that money and my $250k combined, but I haven't sufficiently researched the pros/cons of that course of action.

All this said, what would you do with $250k? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Buying another proprety in a state with higher ROI might work,also you wouldn't have to pay taxes if you did a 1031 exchange.I am not well educated in the current housing markets,but if you feel like a proprety is a good enough investment on its own,may as well use the 1031 to avoid tax.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I would buy businesses. Ones with a managers already in place.

You could make peanuts in rental profit, or you (allegedly) can make $32400/yr in dividends.

But what if you could take that $250k and begin to make over $200k/yr owning a portfolio of businesses? For some inspiration, read this...

Last edited:

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
I would put it all into PSLV, SILJ, and PHYS. The fed can't raise rates enough to fight this level of inflation because of all the debt we've got. I'm thinking we're headed for a recession which will lower the value of stocks and real estate, without actually lowering the number of dollars they're worth.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It would be hard to purchase e-commerce stores due to their current high multiples. But that’s where I would go. You have $1M in retirement so you can go more aggressive with the $250k.

Real estate is not going to make you rich compared to what $250k can do with a business. It’s sounds like you want an active investment anyway. Buying a business at 5x means $50k a year. That would be significant to you in addition to your current income.

IronGoat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 10, 2022
All great suggestions so far, thanks everyone who's answered.

I would buy businesses. Ones with a managers already in place.

You could make peanuts in rental profit, or you (allegedly) can make $32400/yr in dividends.

But what if you could take that $250k and begin to make over $200k/yr owning a portfolio of businesses? For some inspiration, read this...

Thanks for this, I'm going to give the whole thread it a read this evening.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
G

Guest-5ty5s4

People are saying that profit in rentals would be "peanuts." They are right. But... rental cash flow is not the goal with real estate. I mean, it might be the end game once you own the biggest property ever, but the capital gains are where you make your real money.

You can sell a property for a cap rate. The lower the better. Just like a business.

Property bringing in net income of $20,000, sell for 10% cap rate = $200,000 sale price. Sell for 5% cap rate = $400,000.

Increase income, lower cap rate. Profit.

Can't think of a good thread on the topic, but just chew on that.

The master of this is @SteveO

As an engineer who enjoys numbers (but hates calculus lol) this is pretty fun for me

Forgot to mention @WJK who is also a master of this topic ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Have you thought about loaning your 401k and 250 out as hard money? Alot of dumb money in the market right now. I know dudes paying 16%

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
People are saying that profit in rentals would be "peanuts." They are right. But... rental cash flow is not the goal with real estate. I mean, it might be the end game once you own the biggest property ever, but the capital gains are where you make your real money.

You can sell a property for a cap rate. The lower the better. Just like a business.

Property bringing in net income of $20,000, sell for 10% cap rate = $200,000 sale price. Sell for 5% cap rate = $400,000.

Increase income, lower cap rate. Profit.

Can't think of a good thread on the topic, but just chew on that.

The master of this is @SteveO

As an engineer who enjoys numbers (but hates calculus lol) this is pretty fun for me

Come on Fam, you gotta sharpen your pencil.

Is taking $250k and turning it into $400k in commercial real estate all that good a profit figure? Maybe in CRE terms it is. I honestly don't know, but that sounds right.

But can you buy a $250K building and turn it into a $2M building as fast as you can with a business? That's what I call fun...

Screenshot_20220418-200317.png

Your post isn't comparing apples to apples. (pun fully intended)

Compare yearly net profit to yearly net profit & final sales price to final sales price.

In which scenario is it easier to grow yearly profit? Commercial RE or owning a business?

In which scenario is it easier to grow the final sale price? CRE or owning a business?

Shoot, look at the cash flow figures of absentee owner businesses in Cali selling right now for under $250k.

And you could take that $200k, buy one of these businesses, invest the other $50k in business improvements and a couple years later sell the whole thing for $400k.

In fact, getting a return that small sounds kind of disappointing in business terms.

At least the yearly cash flow (should be) much much better with the business vs cre.

If commercial real estate was the better way to go, you wouldn't have any problem finding such threads on this forum.

For asymmetrical returns, you can't beat having and growing a quality business.

And before anyone points out that you can use leverage in CRE, well, you can finance the purchase of businesses too, so I left that bit out of both examples.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Come on Fam, you gotta sharpen your pencil.

Is taking $250k and turning it into $400k in commercial real estate all that good a profit figure? Maybe in CRE terms it is. I honestly don't know, but that sounds right.

But can you buy a $250K building and turn it into a $2M building as fast as you can with a business? That's what I call fun...

View attachment 43065

Your post isn't comparing apples to apples. (pun fully intended)

Compare yearly net profit to yearly net profit & final sales price to final sales price.

In which scenario is it easier to grow yearly profit? Commercial RE or owning a business?

In which scenario is it easier to grow the final sale price? CRE or owning a business?

Shoot, look at the cash flow figures of absentee owner businesses in Cali selling right now for under $250k.

And you could take that $200k, buy one of these businesses, invest the other $50k in business improvements and a couple years later sell the whole thing for $400k.

In fact, getting a return that small sounds kind of disappointing in business terms.

At least the yearly cash flow (should be) much much better with the business vs cre.

If commercial real estate was the better way to go, you wouldn't have any problem finding such threads on this forum.

For asymmetrical returns, you can't beat having and growing a quality business.

And before anyone points out that you can use leverage in CRE, well, you can finance the purchase of businesses too, so I left that bit out of both examples.
I said both.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I said both.
Speaking of both, now I'm looking at absentee owner businesses in California for under $300k that you can buy which also comes with commercial real estate. :moneybag:

I usually only look at Arizona businesses. Arizona businesses don't have this kind of cash flow to purchase ratio.

People must really want out of that state. Lol.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Speaking of both, now I'm looking at absentee owner businesses in California for under $300k that you can buy which also comes with commercial real estate. :moneybag:

I usually only look at Arizona businesses. Arizona businesses don't have this kind of cash flow to purchase ratio.

People must really want out of that state. Lol.
You’re derailing the thread a bit, but there are a lot of good reasons for that. California has proven that they don’t care about business owners and will arbitrarily shut you down, prevent you from evicting tenants, stop you from collecting rents, and more. It is definitely a risky place to do business.

Anyway, yeah, there are pros and cons to both, and there are people who have gotten insanely rich in both.

Can’t think of anyone who got insanely rich buying index funds.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Money market instrument. Low return but low risk and highly liquid.

You need cash cushion for adjusting for self-employment.

No one gets broke due to inflation. From a net worth perspective you are still mainly in assets not cash (401k).

IronGoat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 10, 2022
Glad to see I've inspired some conversation. I'm learning quite a bit just reading everyone's responses, so thank you.

Just finished my deep dive on @doitman's post... Noticed that he hasn't been seen on the site in over a year, hoping he's in Central America with a cool drink in his hand and reaping the rewards of all of his hard work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.