The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Is Your ONE THING?

Anything related to matters of the mind

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
After recently reading a thread about work ethic by @MTF (a gold thread on the inside), I picked up the book he recommended within the thread titled "The One Thing" By Gary Keller and read the whole thing. An awesome and fascinating book.

Within the book, Gary poses a "focus question" which he says will set you on the right path as long as you keep asking this one question. It will tell you what needs to get done and what you need to do to advance.

Personally, I'm trying to get MORE of an understanding, so I wanted to pose the question here and possibly start a discussion around it.

What is the one thing you can do, such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What is the one thing you can do, such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?
Love that question. (Can’t remember anything else from the book either.)

Anyway, focus means saying No. I find it hard, but helpful.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Wow that's such a great way to put it... Makes me realize how many things I say YES to that slow down my progress sometimes.

sometimes I'll be in the middle of a focus task and all of a sudden my brain wants to check my phone..

But deep down I know that little distraction of looking at my phone will cost me 15 minutes of distraction from focus.

That one yes/no could determine whether that task is done well or not

Rperrett2

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 8, 2022
After recently reading a thread about work ethic by @MTF (a gold thread on the inside), I picked up the book he recommended within the thread titled "The One Thing" By Gary Keller and read the whole thing. An awesome and fascinating book.

Within the book, Gary poses a "focus question" which he says will set you on the right path as long as you keep asking this one question. It will tell you what needs to get done and what you need to do to advance.

Personally, I'm trying to get MORE of an understanding, so I wanted to pose the question here and possibly start a discussion around it.

For me it's SALES. When I sell, it means I helped a customer, that helps the business, helps the cashflow, helps my family, helps me.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
For me it's SALES. When I sell, it means I helped a customer, that helps the business, helps the cashflow, helps my family, helps me.
How early in the process did you start hiring/outsourcing so that you can only focus on sales? (assuming you have yet)

Rperrett2

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 8, 2022
Wow that's such a great way to put it... Makes me realize how many things I say YES to that slow down my progress sometimes.

sometimes I'll be in the middle of a focus task and all of a sudden my brain wants to check my phone..

But deep down I know that little distraction of looking at my phone will cost me 15 minutes of distraction from focus.

That one yes/no could determine whether that task is done well or not
Right! And it goes with everything...

Saying no to a job or a project that you really can't take on (saying yes might hurt your brand or reputation)
Saying no to a family member who is just trying to steal/suck your time (my extended family is very needy, I hope they don't join the forum and read this haha)
Saying no to a sale that is too low
Saying no to seconds or desert
The list goes on and on!

Rperrett2

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 8, 2022
How early in the process did you start hiring/outsourcing so that you can only focus on sales? (assuming you have yet)
Funny you ask...I actually just posted a topic about it on here a couple of hours ago! I don't focus only on sales, but I'm trying to focus more time on it. Because like your original post said, it makes everything else easier or unnecessary.

I'm in the process of figuring it out right now. I'm recognizing how important sales are to my organization and how a good portion of my time needs to be spent on that. In the very early days of my company I had a partner and a "summer help" employee. That allowed me to spend a little more time selling and we benefited from that. My partner and I have since parted ways. I have been outsourcing mostly to subcontractors up until this point but now managing subs as well as my business is taking away from sales. So I'm currently working through the process of budgeting and planning to hire on some help. Also looking into purchasing software and paying contractors to help in other aspects of the business. I will have been in business for 1 year this June.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Funny you ask...I actually just posted a topic about it on here a couple of hours ago! I don't focus only on sales, but I'm trying to focus more time on it. Because like your original post said, it makes everything else easier or unnecessary.

I'm in the process of figuring it out right now. I'm recognizing how important sales are to my organization and how a good portion of my time needs to be spent on that. In the very early days of my company I had a partner and a "summer help" employee. That allowed me to spend a little more time selling and we benefited from that. My partner and I have since parted ways. I have been outsourcing mostly to subcontractors up until this point but now managing subs as well as my business is taking away from sales. So I'm currently working through the process of budgeting and planning to hire on some help. Also looking into purchasing software and paying contractors to help in other aspects of the business. I will have been in business for 1 year this June.
Thanks for sharing!! I am going to check out your thread

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
For me it's meditation. My brain is on 24/7 so it's tough for me to sit down for 15 minutes and clear my mind. The earlier in the day I meditate the better the rest of the day is.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
For me it's meditation. My brain is on 24/7 so it's tough for me to sit down for 15 minutes and clear my mind. The earlier in the day I meditate the better the rest of the day is.
So true man.. I was reading the almanack of naval ravikant recently and it just showed me how important this is...

Do you use music when you meditate? or just sit in silence?

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
So true man.. I was reading the almanack of naval ravikant recently and it just showed me how important this is...

Do you use music when you meditate? or just sit in silence?
I used to listen to music but I found it to take away from the experience a bit. For me, meditation is about detaching completely from my thoughts. Music always got in the way of that so I sit in silence. I'll have to check that book out been meaning to read it.

Rperrett2

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 8, 2022
Oh that's a good one too! I haven't latched on to the meditation yet, but working out is kinda like my meditation/therapy. That's my one hour of the day that I don't answer my phone, don't get distracted, nothing else matters...just turn up the music and grind!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
My one thing: Serving others.

If I do this consistently, I win. Everything else is easier because I get offered great opportunities.
I learn, get better, and then continue serving others with my increased skillset and knowledge.
It becomes a positive feedback loop.

We're in a society that's fueled by capitalism, which rewards those who produce something of value.
We're all social creatures who can't do big things alone. We all need help.
So serving others allows me to receive the benefit from the value I provide others.

As Zig Ziglar said,
"You can have everything in life you want, if you help enough other people get what they want."

Mavrick614

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 13, 2022
For those of you who said "sales" or "serving others", you're on the right track, but from what I've found, in order to have this actually MEAN anything tangible, it needs to be broken down much much further.

Each night I ask myself "what is my one thing for tomorrow"?

The "One Thing" is a new thing each day.

What I have is a long long to do list that I keep adding to with any new things that need to or should get done.

Each evening, I sort the list in order of importance. Then, I break down any tasks that's aren't comically easy to do (5 minutes - 1 hour)

If your one thing takes you longer than that, it should be broken down smaller.

Example: my one thing is "sales"

What EXACTLY are you going to do tomorrow to make "sales" happen?

Are you going to send 100 cold emails?

Are you going to craft the PERFECT cold email and send 20 of them?

Are you going to make 100 cold calls?

Are you going to train the new sales guy you just hired on the scripts?

Each of those things above could be a "one thing"

Again, in order for this to have any meaning, break it down into a measurable task for each day. IE you either hit 100 calls or you didn't. It's very very black and white.

Having a group of people to bounce ideas off of, and thus make sure your One Thing is ACTUALLY the most important task you should be doing is crucial.

If anyone wants to get into a daily One Thing centric group chat about biz, please hit me up. That's what I'm looking for right now as well.

Hope I can help some people out and in turn get some cool friends to bounce ideas off of

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I used to listen to music but I found it to take away from the experience a bit. For me, meditation is about detaching completely from my thoughts. Music always got in the way of that so I sit in silence. I'll have to check that book out been meaning to read it.
Interesting... I usually do it with music - never tried it silent. Will give it a try tomorrow!

the book - it is phenomenal. highly recommend

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
My one thing: Serving others.

If I do this consistently, I win. Everything else is easier because I get offered great opportunities.
I learn, get better, and then continue serving others with my increased skillset and knowledge.
It becomes a positive feedback loop.

We're in a society that's fueled by capitalism, which rewards those who produce something of value.
We're all social creatures who can't do big things alone. We all need help.
So serving others allows me to receive the benefit from the value I provide others.

As Zig Ziglar said,
"You can have everything in life you want, if you help enough other people get what they want."
Man... this is awesome!!

I've also noticed this in a non-business sense.. people will feel obligated to help US when we serve them first. I read about reciprocation in "influence" by robert cialdini..

Cool story:

I decided to test out what adding value could really do and if reciprocation really works.

So one day, I offered a friend of mine a ride to somewhere, when I really didn't have to. I was just being nice, not expecting anything in return.

Right before he got out of the car, he pulled out a book about Copywriting (Copywriting secrets by jim edwards) and told me "Thanks. Keep this it's a really good book".

This book ultimately opened me up to a whole new world of persuasive writing that I now love.

So now I believe in the power of value and reciprocation forever!

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Make decisions quickly, and encourage those around you to follow suit.
Do you have any tips on getting better at this skill of making decisions?

Sometimes small daily decisions for me waste so much time lol.. For example sometimes it's hard for me to even pick what I'm going to eat for dinner because there's so many options and I end up spending 30 minutes trying to figure it out.

Mavrick614

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 13, 2022
Man... this is awesome!!

I've also noticed this in a non-business sense.. people will feel obligated to help US when we serve them first. I read about reciprocation in "influence" by robert cialdini..

Cool story:

I decided to test out what adding value could really do and if reciprocation really works.

So one day, I offered a friend of mine a ride to somewhere, when I really didn't have to. I was just being nice, not expecting anything in return.

Right before he got out of the car, he pulled out a book about Copywriting (Copywriting secrets by jim edwards) and told me "Thanks. Keep this it's a really good book".

This book ultimately opened me up to a whole new world of persuasive writing that I now love.

Always, ALWAYS lead with value! It costs you very little for potential life changing ROI.

In terms of health, wealth, relationships and happiness in general

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
For those of you who said "sales" or "serving others", you're on the right track, but from what I've found, in order to have this actually MEAN anything tangible, it needs to be broken down much much further.

Each night I ask myself "what is my one thing for tomorrow"?

The "One Thing" is a new thing each day.

What I have is a long long to do list that I keep adding to with any new things that need to or should get done.

Each evening, I sort the list in order of importance. Then, I break down any tasks that's aren't comically easy to do (5 minutes - 1 hour)

If your one thing takes you longer than that, it should be broken down smaller.

Example: my one thing is "sales"

What EXACTLY are you going to do tomorrow to make "sales" happen?

Are you going to send 100 cold emails?

Are you going to craft the PERFECT cold email and send 20 of them?

Are you going to make 100 cold calls?

Are you going to train the new sales guy you just hired on the scripts?

Each of those things above could be a "one thing"

Again, in order for this to have any meaning, break it down into a measurable task for each day. IE you either hit 100 calls or you didn't. It's very very black and white.

Having a group of people to bounce ideas off of, and thus make sure your One Thing is ACTUALLY the most important task you should be doing is crucial.

If anyone wants to get into a daily One Thing centric group chat about biz, please hit me up. That's what I'm looking for right now as well.

Hope I can help some people out and in turn get some cool friends to bounce ideas off of
BOOM!! Thank you man this is so valuable..
Wow very eye opening to me personally. I will take your advice ASAP

Mavrick614

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 13, 2022

Sometimes small daily decisions for me waste so much time lol.. For example sometimes it's hard for me to even pick what I'm going to eat for dinner because there's so many options and I end up spending 30 minutes trying to figure it out.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Currently reading this.

Is this what Naval Ravikant is talking about when he says to learn Game Theory?

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Man... this is awesome!!

Cool story:

Great story. It's good to hear people doing good things out there. It works magic.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Danny_Cox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Apr 26, 2022
Bristol, UK

Huge. I've had to get utterly ruthless with time at various stages. Entering into another one now. A little rusty...

But yes, focus means saying no... and saying no usually means pissing people off ‍♂️

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I changed my exercise routine to walking. This is in conjunction with me trying to get my work done outside my house. Apple phone tracker gives a good estimate on the milage I clocked. Doing work outside my house gave me less distraction.

In sales I focus on customer acquisition and engagement, since I do selling other people's products for a living. Bigger book of business and higher engagement frequency wins.

When it comes to financial and risk management, I believe in staying nimble. Avoid "irreversible transaction": Keep large of cash, pay mostly monthly for services instead of yearly, not buying a house unless you have to. I believe that most people are able to recognize opportunities, but when opportunity come most of the time they found themselves being locked down and tied down by other commitment and hence they are not able to utilize it.

I am finding time to studying a new language. I haven't figure out what is the best way to get some decent improvement with limited time budget.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.