The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What habit changed your life?

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Tomorrow I'll set my 14th day checkmark for a handful of new habits I'm building (reading, writing, meditation, no alcohol, healthier eating etc). Going really good so far.

That got me thinking.

Any new habit/habits that changed your life for the better or had a positive major impact?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Eating right. Once I started eating for fuel instead of fun and found out what type of foods work best for me, my energy increased significantly. I owe my business success to food, when your brain is fed right you have more energy and a clearer mind, it's easier to focus and GSD.

DonTriumph

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Jan 4, 2019
Philippines
Reading. My life changed when I began reading.

I learned a lot of new things, opened myself to new ideas. If not for reading, I wouldn't even know about TMF - and I wouldn't be here (I discovered TMF through a blog, by the way).

Reading will also improve your comprehension. You may think it's a small feat, but I see people who are either not confident in their comprehension or they don't just bother to understand what they read at all.

As for what I read: books and blogs.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Writing.

You'll be doing a lot of work for copywriting and selling via email, social media, forums and text.

In general, all writing:
- Caters to an audience with a need
- Offers content that is uniquely focused on solving the need
- Has a call to action/conclusion that sets the catalyse for the reader to take a different course of action, preferably in the direction put by the writer

You have to train the writing muscle every day. It's not enough to write shit in a blaze and drop the pen. That is what exams in school and university have trained us to do, I'm afraid.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Tomorrow I'll set my 14th day checkmark for a handful of new habits I'm building (reading, writing, meditation, no alcohol, healthier eating etc). Going really good so far.

That got me thinking.

Any new habit/habits that changed your life for the better or had a positive major impact?

My life changed when I began the habit of not procrastinating in creating new good habits, one at a time, consolidating them and replacing them with the wrong ones”.

raad182

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 29, 2018
Planning

I didn't realized how much my life was on my control since I've started to plan my days with simple to-do lists, Why?!

- Already know what I expect to accomplish that day.
- Freeing my mind from concerns about what should I do next.
- Avoid wasting time with meaningless tasks.
- Personally, gives me a motivational boost to achieve things as I really dislike to leave a task unchecked.

One tip is to reserve the winner hour at the end of the day, like a prize. So if you accomplish every task on your list, you win an hour at the end of the day to spend how you please without guilt, just give yourself an award for the hard work.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Meditation and journaling, it gives me more perspective and allows me to be more self aware. Before meditation I was still quite an organized way but my emotions would affect me 5x more, especially anger.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
  • The habit of curiosity has always been with me. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it's not
  • Meditation (always considered it was hippy hocus pocus in the past but it actually works)
  • Gratitude Diary (see above)
  • OMAD - Health benefits of Intermittent Fasting are truly remarkable

Those four have made the most impact.

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA
  • Waking up at 5am (and going to sleep early)
  • Going to gym first thing in morning
  • Cold showers in the morning
  • Daily journaling
  • High protein meal as first meal of day (don't start your day with a crash)
  • Zazen practice (highly recommend "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Suzuki if you're interested)

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
taking time to LISTEN and comprehend what someone smarter than me was saying

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
1. Working out three to four times a week.

2. Eating healthier, less meat more vegetables.

3. Getting out of my comfort zone and actually reach out to people to ask help or offer them your help / product/ service.

4. Reading more and listening more. But staying critical.

4. Not taking everything so personally. In business sometimes you have to deal with customers or employees who are easily light tempered and say all kind of things. No problem, resolve the problem and don't take it personally. This applies to my personal life too.

Great thread btw

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I stopped watching television and playing video games and started using my time to master my writing skills, educate myself, and work towards my goals. I don't usually like watching television much anymore for the last nine years.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Doing AT LEAST ONE THING a day to put opportunity in my pipeline.

-gives me constant feedback loops. Constant action used to make me uncomfortable.
-can be a call, an email, direct mail, etc. It just has to solve someone's frustration.

SMH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 20, 2018
Poland
Eating right. Once I started eating for fuel instead of fun and found out what type of foods work best for me, my energy increased significantly. I owe my business success to food, when your brain is fed right you have more energy and a clearer mind, it's easier to focus and GSD.

Absolutely this, along with working out and sleeping better. I used to wonder how people got all that energy to do stuff while I was sleeping too little, eating bad and not moving. Thought I needed more power to work out, turned out the oposite.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Loving this thread. I'm using it to find new habits to steal from others ;)

For me:
"win the morning"

It's from a Tim Ferriss blog post, but the gist is that you have 5 tasks each morning:
Make your bed
Meditate
Exercise (minimum 10 pushups)
Hydrate (+bulletproof coffee or tea)
Journal
If you do 3 of the 5, then you "win".
I'm allergic to fad-blog-post-meme-tasks, but this one actually works great for me. Maybe it's the mindset of "winning" and the fact that it can be a little flexible. It's also great to start the day with an accomplishment. I dunno, it's small but it really works for me.

Another great habit I've heard of:
Picking up habits

I had a friend who made it a habit to pick a new habit to focus on every 2 weeks. He'd pick a useful habit, focus on it 100%, and after 2 weeks decide if it's helpful and worth keeping. No matter what, when the 2 weeks were up, he'd pick a new habit to add for the next 2 weeks.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Planning strategically, with tactics for implementing.

I've always had goals. I've pursued action plans to reach them. But when I put a few things together, more started happening.
  • I use the principles of The Twelve Week Year to plan a few goals every quarter. A few, because too many overwhelm.
  • I brainstorm tactics to reach them, and schedule when to implement those.
  • I use an online to-do list that permits recurring tasks to remind me what tactics to employ every day, which also integrates with...
  • An online Pomodoro timer to keep me on task.
And it has just reminded me that my break is over and it's time to get on with work...

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Doing something productive as soon as I wake up.

I noticed that back in uni I'd be a lot more productive if I woke up and read something or did some work straight away, compared to doing whatever and then starting to work. I'd get so much more work done. I would become literally obsessed with it. To be honest, I loved it. This would last until the work was finished, could be a day or so, or could be a week or two.

I noticed similar trends when working too, but it's hard to be like that when you are working, because you don't wake up to start working, you wake up to commute like a lamb to the slaughter. But now I am working on something, I am reintroducing being productive as soon as I wake up back that into my life. For the first time in five years, I finally feel happy about working on something.

Typing that made me feel nostalgic for my student days, sad at my recent work life, and excited for the future.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
*Being 100% responsible for everything you do* has helped me tremendously

- bad job - don't blame the economy, it's YOU who are at fault;
- not satisfied with the relationship - it's not "happens to everyone", but YOU who left it stagnant.

Take full responsibility, and lead life, not the other way.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Very cool thread!

When I started picking up the phone and making phone calls... It moves business along far more quickly.

Also, adopting Skype for faster information exchange.

I try to only use email for data heavy reference, or when my words need to be perfect and it gives me time to think.

I will probably think of more... but just particularly happy with those.

Last edited:

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
There's a habit I know that most likely changed everyone's life here for the better or worse.
And that habit is Repetition.
Every kid that tried to ride a bike without training wheels for the first time most likely failed. And every kid that kept getting back on that bike eventually learned how to ride it.
There's a fun and enjoyment aspect of learning how to ride a bike which makes the learning stick forever I would say. Reading every book on how to do something is not going to change anything. The body needs experience, as the wobbly riding goes, the body and mind calibrate to balance and smooth itself out.

So for me personally, I have yet to achieve conscious repetition of certain things as habit, but I'm getting there. I'm beginning to consciously tell myself to breath deeper and capture my thoughts and my mind it its current state. I will say, so much more has been opened up to me recently because of that. I would read a book or forum while breathing deeper and I would notice myself remembering more parts of what I read and actually understanding the content more.

So I guess two things: Conscious repetition of things, and breathing deeper heh

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Going to the gym at 7AM. More specifically, doing heavy compound lifts.

Seriously, starting the day with a heavy squat or deadlift feels great.

I'm sure there's some unknown psychological benefit to getting a big physical victory in the morning. Or maybe it's just the increased testosterone from being stronger.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Daily tracking on the things that sustantively move me forward.

For example, since my revene (for now) is mainly consulting, I track:
billable hours
offers made
clients/prospects contacted
% of billed hours delegated

Tracking billed hours--instead of client hours (which could include nonbillable tasks), or a general bucket of "work" hours (which could include random research & action faking)--directly predicts revenue.

Tracking daily metrics helps maintain focus on what's actually going to move the needle--whatever your needle is.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
taking time to LISTEN and comprehend what someone smarter than me was saying
So true. I'd add: ...and then act on that insight.

I end up ruminating on these kinds of things--like I see the wisdom but it takes some time for it to percolate to the surface & adjust my mindset to the point where I act on it.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
When feeling the urge to respond, taking a deep breath and listening/processing what the person was saying. I started this with the goal to focus on their intent, and not my reply based on a quarter of their message.

After learning to do this, it struck me that this is what really competent, composed and influential people do.

For example, watch how Steve Jobs processes and responds to this question at 4:12:
View: https://youtu.be/qw7VrZSAUEU?t=256

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) “Yes, and” instead of “Yes, but”.

2) “How?” instead of “How!”.

3) Looking for the silver lining in *everything*.

4) Beating people to it (e.g. saying hello or smiling at people before they do it).

5) Seeing obstacles as stepping stones and barriers to entry.

6) Enjoying the awkward silence (when you’ve stated your price for example).

7) Producing more than I consume.

8) Trying to find the thing that makes whoever I’m talking to open up and get excited.

9) Assuming that *everyone* is interesting (and that it’s up to me to find their thing).

10) Looking people in the eye and saying “Sorry” or “Well done”.

11) Posting daily in this forum.

12) Taking time out to observe the wind blowing through the trees.

13) Allowing myself to get giddy with excitement when I talk about *my* thing.

14) Always chipping away.

15) Staying in my lane.

16) Listening to smart people yet completely ignoring them.

17) Saying “ok” or just not replying when folks look for an argument (that I don’t want to be dragged into).

18) Documenting as I go along, not after.

19) Saying Please and Thank You.

... loads more I’m sure.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

That got me thinking.

Meditation. Its a keystone habit , it made fitness stick , improved my work and home life , I keep a cleaner house , im more detail oriented , ive been eating better etc etc

If I was asked i'd say a solid daily sitting practice trumps any other single habit one could aspire for because it allows discipline in all other areas of life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.