The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Strategy for Goals and Habit Change?

Idea threads

Justin L

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 2, 2022
North Carolina, US
Hello all,

The other day, I was brainstorming a way to keep myself on track with forming new habits and breaking habits that are bringing me down as a person. I eventually landed on an idea of a points system. For me, it helps to really see my progress from week to week or month to month.

So here's the idea: You write down goals that you want to set yourself on a daily basis. Examples can be "Workout", "No Videogames", or even "Meditate." And what you do is you give each goal a point value based on how important it is that you complete that goal. For me, a good point range is anywhere from 1-3 or 1-5 depending on the goals.

Then, you add columns labeled "Daily", "Weekly", "Monthly", or even "Yearly" if you want. And when you start completing the goals, begin adding up your points under, the daily, weekly, and monthly columns, and then try to get as many points as you can per day. You could even set expectations for yourself on how many points you want to get per day, week, or month. I think this could be a great motivation factor and a way to visualize your progress.

Thank you for your time reading this!
Kind regards,
Justin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hello all,

The other day, I was brainstorming a way to keep myself on track with forming new habits and breaking habits that are bringing me down as a person. I eventually landed on an idea of a points system. For me, it helps to really see my progress from week to week or month to month.

So here's the idea: You write down goals that you want to set yourself on a daily basis. Examples can be "Workout", "No Videogames", or even "Meditate." And what you do is you give each goal a point value based on how important it is that you complete that goal. For me, a good point range is anywhere from 1-3 or 1-5 depending on the goals.

Then, you add columns labeled "Daily", "Weekly", "Monthly", or even "Yearly" if you want. And when you start completing the goals, begin adding up your points under, the daily, weekly, and monthly columns, and then try to get as many points as you can per day. You could even set expectations for yourself on how many points you want to get per day, week, or month. I think this could be a great motivation factor and a way to visualize your progress.

Kind regards,
Justin
One suggestion. Place all your goals in a positive frame.

For example, you listed no video games. So every week you don't play video games you're going to be reminding yourself that you didn't play video games. You'll never move past the thought of video games.

What do you want to do with that time instead? Maybe more exercise? Maybe more family time? List those as your goal and forget about video games entirely if that's what you want to do.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
If it works for you Justin, and it helps you form habits and move towards achieving your goals, then go for it.
this could be a great motivation factor and a way to visualize your progress.
Sounds like it could be helpful to others as well, do you have a outline of how the planner/goal setter would look like?

Justin L

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 2, 2022
North Carolina, US
If it works for you Justin, and it helps you form habits and move towards achieving your goals, then go for it.

Sounds like it could be helpful to others as well, do you have a outline of how the planner/goal setter would look like?
points system.PNG
This is what mine is currently looking like, I am definitely going to make a few changes, but that's the general concept.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Justin L

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 2, 2022
North Carolina, US
One suggestion. Place all your goals in a positive frame.

For example, you listed no video games. So every week you don't play video games you're going to be reminding yourself that you didn't play video games. You'll never move past the thought of video games.

What do you want to do with that time instead? Maybe more exercise? Maybe more family time? List those as your goal and forget about video games entirely if that's what you want to do.
Great Idea, thanks for the feedback!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello all,

Kind regards,
Justin

LOL, I just posted this:

Not exactly like your system, but similar.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.