The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

DuPont

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2011
I am currently reading "The 10X Rule" I highly recommend this book in fact I have BOTH the Kindle Book as well as the audio version. The really nice thing about the audio version is the author Grant Cardone reads it himself and he reads it from the passion of how he wrote it and wants the listener to hear it. If you have never heard of Grant Cardone google him. I rank this book right up there with MJ's book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Currently reading 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris.

aBeats

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Feb 9, 2011
I am currently reading "The 10X Rule" I highly recommend this book in fact I have BOTH the Kindle Book as well as the audio version. The really nice thing about the audio version is the author Grant Cardone reads it himself and he reads it from the passion of how he wrote it and wants the listener to hear it. If you have never heard of Grant Cardone google him. I rank this book right up there with MJ's book.

I second this nomination. Read "10x Rule" a few weeks ago and it was powerful.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I just finished Tony Robbins - Unleash the Giant Within. It is easily the most powerful book that I've ever read. If you enjoyed 'Think and Grow Rich' or any book on mindset, this book takes it to whole other level. It really helps to put yourself in the right mental state, and take massive action to achieve your goals. I've become a huge Tony Robbins fan after reading the book.

I'm now reading "Propoganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion". I'm only about 15% of the way through it, but it's pretty interesting if you want to understand human behavior and marketing. It's supposed to be the best book out there on the subject.

I recently read 'The Ultimate Sales Machine', 'The Startup Entrepreneur', and 'The Power of Full Engagement'. I would highly recommend all of these books.

I've also read several other, non-note worthy business books the past few months, which I won't bother to mention.

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California
The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur by Mike Michalowicz. I haven't finished it but it's been great so far.

squall74

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Mar 14, 2012
Auburn, WA

RAhul

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2011
Just read Think Big and Kick a$$ by DonaldTrump....a very good read...also read Who Owns the Ice house which MJ had recommended...next on my list is Inbound Marketing....

Although I must say that these books only matter if you can take ACTION and IMPLEMENT what's written...

I'm sure MJ would agree....

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
principles of accounting by Mcgraw hill

the financial analysis part is what Im reading now. its purty cool

D

DeletedUser394

Ugly Amercan$: The true story of the ivy league cowboys who raided the asian markets for millions.

It's a good book, second time I'm reading it. Even named one of my cats after one of the characters...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
currently reading "emergency" by neil strauss after I found it mentioned here, which is a refreshing read from the business-only stuff I mostly read.

before that I read "the king of oil" about marc rich (founder of what is now glencore) - really interesting read, it actually brought me to thinking more about entrepreneurship in the commodities/shipping area after I already made a shift from online to offline business in the last months.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I Know This Much Is True, Wally Lamb.
The Now Revolution, Baer

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
recent reads:
Cashvertising by Drew Whitman
How to Write and Sell Simple Information For Fun and Profit by Robert Bly
The Official Get Rich Guide to Information Marketing by Robert Skrob
Marketing Warfare by Ries & Trout
Bottom-Up Marketing by Ries & Trout
Identity Theft, Inc. by Glenn Hastings
Starbucked by Taylor Clark
currently reading:
Miracles Happen by Mary Kay Ash
on deck:
The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Instructional Design by Tillman Ragan, using it as I design a course. I don't have much time to read if it isn't in the course of helping me do something in the moment.

Sue

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Raving Fans - About creating a SUCS customer service event all the time.

Leadership and Self Deception - Excellent book that can help you with managing, family and friends.

The Tipping Point - How ideas and products spread. Its not geared to help you with a business but the insight is amazing and should be used in marketing.

Purple Cow - Making your product or service stand out from the noise, like a purple cow would.

Toilet Paper Entrepreneur - As others have said, its pretty similar to TMF .

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
This book has been mentioned by others earlier in this thread:

Currently finishing "How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis. I'll add to the recommendations for this great book. Filled with no-nonsense "DO IT NOW" encouragement written in a friendly tone. It's no wonder this guy is such a successful publisher, given the high quality of his own book.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
When Genius Failed.
About the rise and fall of Long-Term-Capital-Management. Instructive for those who desire to know more about Wall Street.

Screw Business as usual, Richard Branson.
Not recommendable.

The Midas Touch.
Nice addition to RK's and Trump's work.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Goals by Brian Tracy and finishing Guerrilla Marketing

Going for a good email marketing or word of mouth marketing book next. As you can probably tell Im into marketing as of late.

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
Did buy it yesterday on my Kindle in Amazon, read it all yesterday evening! =) Great capturing story with a lot of advice on how to transform your business into a cash machine in a year, making hard decisions and give in for the faith you got for the business.

Recommended to anyone stuck in a business they built, which is basicly a job they created for themself!

Built to sell is a real gem. Need to know how to prepare for the exit.

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
If you buy Built to sell, they also offers bonuses if you show a recipt. Get it here: Built To Sell | Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You, directly to the form for claiming the bonus is here https://builttosell.wufoo.com/forms/book-buyers/

Bonuses from their page:

" -12-month subscription to Inc. Magazine (12 issues) US Residents Only – Not Available in Canada
-Access to an exclusive one hour group teleseminar with me, John Warrillow, author of Built to Sell where you’ll get a chance to ask questions and get feedback on building and selling your business.
-An exclusive e-Book from The E-Myth Worldwide on building a sellable business (not available publicly).
-The Freedom Manifesto an 83-page e-book on building a sellable business by John Warrillow where you’ll find more case studies, tools, resources, and advanced strategies not found in the book.
"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The wall street journal every day, and im on a social media marketing book.

Please excuse my mistakes, Im using tapatalk and a mobile device.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
How To Win Friends And Influence People. A classic.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That is next on my list! Classic DC. :)

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Next time you buy a book, check amazon reviews...

This is from the 10x book on amazon:

The 10X Rule book talks about:

1. The 10X Rule
§ You must set targets that are 10 X what you think it will take to accomplish.
§ Massive thoughts are followed by taking massive actions, operating at 10X levels.

Grant Cardone says that people generally do not take enough action, let alone massive actions. People are generally setting targets that are too low and not exciting, spending time competing and not dominating. 10X rule says do 10 actions and set targets 10 times higher than you first imagine.

2. Why the 10X Rule Is Vital
§ Never reduce a target. Instead, increase actions.
§ Any target attacked with the right actions in the right amounts with persistence is attainable.

Grant talks about the more actions you take, the better chances of you getting "lucky".

3. What is Success?
Success is important. If you quit caring, then you quit winning; quit winning long enough, and you will just plain quit.

4. Success is your duty.
You must constantly demand success as your duty, obligation, and responsibility.

5. There is no shortage of success.
You must rid yourself of the concept of success can be restricted in any way. Operating under this notion will hurt your ability to create success for yourself. Being dependent on only a single thing or person for success will limit your chances of achievement.

6. Assume control for everything
Successful people accept very high levels of accountability for creating and having success for themselves and even for failing to do so. Successful people hate the blame game and know that it is better to make something happen good or bad than to have it happen to you. In other words be proactive and not reactive.

Anyone who uses blame as the reason why something happened or did not happen will never accumulate real success in life and only further his or her status as a slave.

To get where you want in life, you must adopt the view that whatever is going on in your world (good, bad or nothing) is something caused by you.

7. Four degrees of action
§ Do nothing
§ Retreat
§ Take normal levels of action
§ Take massive action.

Massive action is actually the level of action that creates new problems. Until you create problems, you're not truly operating at the forth stage of action.

8. Average is a failing formula
The addiction to average can kill the possibility of making your dreams a reality. Operating at average levels doesn't work in any area of life. Most businesses fail because they are unable to sell their ideas, products, and services at prices high enough to sustain the company and fund its activities. The company isn't able to collect revenue in quantities great enough because the people with whom the company has been built - employees, customers, and vendors - also take only average amounts of action.

9. 10X Goals
Here is what Grant describes as the method of setting 10X goals:
§ Set 10X targets
§ Align them with your other purposes
§ Write them down everyday: when you wake up and before you go to sleep.

We have been warned against setting goals "too high". The reality of that if you start small, you are probably going to go small. Many people bail out of projects when they experience any kind of resistance; their goals are not big enough. Grant talks about the importance of aligning goals to other goals to fuel will power, energy and dreams. Grant talks about never set small, attainable realistic goals , instead set unrealistic goals.

10. Competition is for sisses
Grant talks about never make it your goal to compete. Instead, do everything you can to dominate your sector. This means doing things that your competitor refuses to do.

11. Breaking out of the middle class
Grant warns about the middle class being the most suppressed, restricted, and confused socioeconomic demographic in the world. Those who desire to be a part of this is compelled to think and act in a certain way where "just enough" is good enough and a reward. The idea that one would only have enough to be "comfortable" or "adequately satisfied" is a concept has been sold by politicians, media, educational system to inspire entire population "to settle" instead of striving for abundance.

12. Obession isn't a disease. It's a gift.
Most people make only enough effort for it to feel like work, whereas the most successful follow up every action with an obsession to see it through to a reward. It is vital to go for a bigger goal if you wish to see 10X results.

13. Go "All In" And Overcommit"
Grant talks about overcommitting your energy, resources, creativity, and persistence. Know that you are "all in" on that particular activity, everytime you take action everyday you are in business.

14. Expand, Never Contract
Contracting is a form of retreating, it violates the concept of the 10X rule. You have to take massive action.

15. Burn the place down
Once you take the 10X actions, don't stop, keep the momentum going. Grant talks about the importance of staying committed.

16. Fear is the great indicator
Fear means you are doing what's needed to move in the right direction. Without "fear", it means you are only doing what's comfortable for you now.

17. The myth of time management
Grant talks about jotting down your time-wasting activities. Most people work just enough to make it feel like work, whereas successful people work at a pace that gets satisfying results that work is a reward.

18. Criticism is sign of success
Criticism precedes admiration, goes hand in hand with success.

19. Customer satisfaction is the wrong target
Customer satisfaction is the wrong target, increasing customers is the right target. You will first have to get the customer first and satisfy him/her later. That means, you have to increase sale.

20. Omnipresence
Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Visa, American Express are some companies that you see everywhere. It is vital to be omnipresent in your industry if you wish to stay ahead.

21. Excuses
Excuses are never the reason for why you did or didn't do something. They are just a revision of facts that you make up in order to help yourself feel better about what happened (or didn't).

22. Successful or Unsuccessful?
Grant talks about a list of things successful people do:
§ Have a "Can Do" Attitude
§ Believe that "I Will Figure It Out"
§ Focus on Opportunity
§ Love challenges
§ Seek to solve problems
§ Persist until successful
§ Take risks
§ Be unreasonable
§ Be dangerous
§ Create Wealth
§ Readily take action
§ Always say "yes"
§ Habitually commit
§ Go all the away
§ Focus on "Now"
§ Demonstrate courage
§ Embrace change
§ Determine and take the right approach
§ Break traditional ideas
§ Be goal oriented
§ Be on a mission
§ Have a high level of motivation
§ Be interested in results
§ Have big goals and dreams
§ Create your own reality
§ Commit first - figure out later
§ Be highly ethical
§ Be interested in the group
§ Be dedicated to continuous learning
§ Be uncomfortable
§ "Reach Up" in Relationships
§ Be disciplined, create successful habits

23. Getting Started With 10X
Grant talks about
§ Not reduce your goals as you write them.
§ Do not get lost in the details
§ Ask yourself "What can I do today to move me forward towards these goals?"
§ Take whatever actions you come up with, regardless of what they are or how you feel
§ Do not prematurely value the outcome of your actions
§ Go back each day to review the list

another 20 bucks saved.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm currently reading "Fifty Shades of Grey"

If you're wondering why I'm reading a book targeted toward females, the answer is simple: This book has sold MILLIONS and it hasn't sold millions because of some ingenious marketing plan. Word of mouth has catapulted this book into a phenomena. As an author, I'm curious to read something that has so many people talking ...

On a personal note, I'm hating the book thus far and am about 1/2 way through.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Philip Roth - The Ghost Writer

Think this is my fourth read of it . . . I don't know why but Lonoff is big for me. I think of his "turning sentences around" speech whenever I need a little inspiration. It's like what I picture my dream lifestyle as, having the freedom to spend the whole day hunkered down with a word processor, "turning sentences around," and then taking a nice long walk with the wife.

That speech and Alec Baldwin's "Coffee's for closers only" thing are my go-to moves in times of depression or doubt . . . never fail to get me back at it. I think it helps that both are half-parody, or something like that. Perhaps parody is the wrong word. But I tend to be best energized by things that are both serious and ridiculous at the same time. You can take the message as the kick-in-the-a$$ sort of thing, and the ridiculous part uplifts you in the way a good belly laugh does. "Second prize is a set of steak knives."

G

GuestUser8117

Thinking Fast and Slow ~ Daniel Kahneman

One of the greatest books in the field of psychology. The author explains how we make our decisions and choices. Basically it says that there is 2 systems in our minds. System one thinks fast and is intuitive. System 2 is more slow and lazy. Very interesting content.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.