The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Currently reading "Losing My Virginity".. someday I will finish it.

*I see what you did there...*

Actually, I listened to Outliers on audio and I loved it. I listened to it with my wife and we were fascinated by the topic. It was actually quite brilliant.

Anyway, I just finished The Myth of Innovation, which was okay, I guess, and now I'm starting Toilet Paper Entrepreneur. I'm not exactly a fan of the analogy, but it's a decent 'start your own business' type book.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
If you learn why he invests in the things he invests in, and work backwards, you can learn more than you can imagine about these "business methods" you speak of.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dreisig

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 27, 2011
Denmark
"Awaken The Giant Within" by Anthony Robbins
"The Way Of The Superior Man" by David Deida

That's what I'm currently reading.

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
About 200 pages into Buffet's book. And the best I can say is that he worked hard. He seemed to work hard all his life. He wasn't normal. He seemed to have an obsession to earn money. And he was smart about it. Smart and Risky. I think we can learn a lot from this man.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Just finished: Nineteen Eighty Four - Orwell
Currently Reading: One Simple Idea - Stephen Key
Up Next: Guide to investing in Gold and Silver - Mike Maloney

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
currently reading Nail it then Scale it

next in line is "Launch" and then ca$hvertising

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
'I was blind but now I see' - James Altucher

USCguy09

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 30, 2011
currently reading Nail it then Scale it

next in line is "Launch" and then ca$hvertising

how was ca$hvertising? I was eyeing that book for a while.

Recently finished:
TFM
Iacocca An Autobiography: William Novak

currently reading:

One Simple Idea: Stephen Key
Internet Riches: Scott C. Fox (a bit outdated in some areas)
Learning Web Design: Jennifer Robbins
JavaScript Step by Step: Steve Suehring

on the way:
Murach's PHP and MySQL (Murach: Training & Reference) by Joel Murach and Ray Harris

KhayShenz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 3, 2011
I just finished --

Millionaire Fastlane (again) - read it twice already.
Strait Path to Real Estate Wealth (K. Krohn) -- this book is admirably NOT about real estate but it is. I know I'm not making sense AT ALL, but pick it up and read through - you'll see what I mean. And I'm totally diggin' K.Krohn's message. Not necessarily "fastlane" - but a 10-year plan to retirement is not bad either.

Right now reading -

Millionaire Messenger - so far so good. I'm reading through it right now, and will go through the next go around with application. I think we can all learn from B. Burchard - especially those who are looking into becoming an author, blogger, etc.

Think and Grow Rich (again) - yeahhhhhh....one time is just not enough for some books y'know.

Up on the shelf:

Awaken the Giant Within (Robbins)
Cashflow Quadrant (Kiyosaki)
The Greatest Salesman in the World (Mandino)
The Referral of a Lifetime (Templeton)

Question:

Anyone read those book reviews on Amazon? I'm particularly interested in the negative reviews....

Sharp

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 8, 2011
Canada
I think Buffet and Soros are in a class of their own. Buffett, especially is anal about his work to the point where he was not able to tell his assistant's hair color one time when she asked him on the phone. He was also described as someone who would not see an artistic statue but see two bottles of shampoo below where one is free with another. If he took his children to the movies, at times he would not pay for them. To me that's a bit extreme almost to the level of clinical autism. He is a genius, but I think most people would not be able to emulate him as his drive is something more than money.

When it comes to Soros, after several decades his parents finally came over from Israel yet after not seeing them for such a long time, he sent his brother to pick them up because he was busy making more money.

I have tried to study them but I think their vision, knowledge, and also their learning curve is far more advanced than mine. That is why they don't diversify their stocks but rather learn a lot about one company or trend, and simply go all in because that's how confident they are.

Book wise, "The Winning Investment Habits of Warren Buffett & George Soros" by Mark Tier is a really good book if you really want to study their tactics and strategies. Hope this helped.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Just finished “Launch” by Michael Stelzner and I'm very disappointed. The book doesn't contain any ground breaking material and has a lot of fill.

This book can be summed up in just a few words; recruit experts to write meaningful content for your blog site and give it away.

The book goes into some marketing strategies using social media, but this information can be found on Michael's site for free.

Overall, I didn't think this book was worth the money and it was a very drab read.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Just finished The World Is Flat 3.0 by Friedman. Good but slow read on international sourcing, global competition, and impact on world economic models specifically aimed at entrepreneurial developments.

Picked up Deals on Wheels by Lonnie Scruggs based on a Fastlaner's recommendation. Haven't started it yet... might have to wait for a while on that one.

Also have Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill on my short list.

and... waiting for my wife to finish Atlas Shrugged so I can dive into that... might be my Christmas holiday read.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Into "The Prosperity Bible", which contains 19 books on prosperity including 'Think & Grow Rich'. Have previously read some of the titles in the book so am skipping over them to the ones that are new to me. Good stuff in there that clears your mind and gets you focusing on setting goals and implementing the processes to achieve them which when it comes down to it is pretty much the main thing in this business game.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
Just finished “Launch†by Michael Stelzner and I'm very disappointed. The book doesn't contain any ground breaking material and has a lot of fill.

This book can be summed up in just a few words; recruit experts to write meaningful content for your blog site and give it away.

The book goes into some marketing strategies using social media, but this information can be found on Michael's site for free.

Overall, I didn't think this book was worth the money and it was a very drab read.

damn, I am starting it tomorrow:(

I have just finished Nail it then Scale it.

IMO it is the next logical step to read after TMF , and I'm dead serious.

After TMF minds you to get on something, NISI tells you in much greater details the step to nail your solution and then scale it once you have proven that it's right...

I strongly, very strongly recommend it to anyone.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Your "Nail it then Scale It" comment reminded me of a great book on leverage and building businesses:

"Ready Fire Aim" by Michael Masterson.

It's about getting your idea out to market quickly rather than over-analyzing. There is only one place that can tell someone if their idea is going to work or not and that is the market place. Put something out there even if it isn't "perfect" because it never will be. On any given day your sales presentation is always the worst it will ever be because you can always tweak to improve it.

KhayShenz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 3, 2011
Your "Nail it then Scale It" comment reminded me of a great book on leverage and building businesses:

"Ready Fire Aim" by Michael Masterson.

It's about getting your idea out to market quickly rather than over-analyzing. There is only one place that can tell someone if their idea is going to work or not and that is the market place. Put something out there even if it isn't "perfect" because it never will be. On any given day your sales presentation is always the worst it will ever be because you can always tweak to improve it.

I'm assuming you read the book - was it worth it? He also has a business/personal development website of some sort: Early To Rise dot com. And I'm finding some quality reads in their blog/reading section.

newbeginning

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 16, 2011
Just going to start reading "Delivering Happiness" by the Zappos CEO (I think Hsieh?).

Also been reading Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene". Holy crap. Don't start that unless you're ready for a major paradyme shift in how you view life and who you are. Also, it may be slightly demotivational, at least it was for me.

D

DeletedUser394

Richard Dawkins is my hero.

Oh and now I'm reading 'Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money, and Life' by Kevin O'Leary (of Dragon's den, Shark Tank Fame)

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
I'm assuming you read the book - was it worth it? He also has a business/personal development website of some sort: Early To Rise dot com. And I'm finding some quality reads in their blog/reading section.

I just re-read my highlighted sections of the book for the purposes of answering this question. I would recommend it to anyone who runs a business even if their current goal isn't $100MM/year in revenues which is what the book is essentially about. If a person is already running a business around that magnitude or higher the book would still be worth it for different ideas on key personnel reporting structures and other unique thoughts throughout the book.

It goes into the steps to take a company from its first sale to $100MM, hiring an executive team, etc. So starting with you as the only employee in your business doing everything and ending with you as the wealth builder in a variety of your businesses, focusing on JVs, acquisitions and divestitures.

Just as important as the steps above, there are solid business fundamentals throughout the book. Such as the true advice that an entrepreneur's #1 focus and knowledge base should be marketing. Let's say someone starts a welding business. IMO that person's first role is Marketing, Welding is second. Without marketing there is nothing to weld.

KhayShenz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks @deepestblue. Will add to my long list of BOOKS TO READ. :groove:

Cashflow Quadrant by Kiyosaki is an eye opener.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
Started How to Get Rich and I'm hooked, it's very good so far!

on the bookshelf are One Simple Idea, The lean Startup and Cashvertizing... but I'm out of time as I want to start to code my website so I'll take a break on the books.

Autarkeia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Aug 4, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Just going to start reading "Delivering Happiness" by the Zappos CEO (I think Hsieh?).

Also been reading Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene". Holy crap. Don't start that unless you're ready for a major paradyme shift in how you view life and who you are. Also, it may be slightly demotivational, at least it was for me.

Making my first post just to say: "The Selfish Gene" is amazing. I love books like that; the ones that grab you and shake the ground you stand on. I'll never look at the world the same way after reading that book. To me though, it's motivational. It reminds me that I need to get my head out of my a$$ and enjoy this flash in time which I'm privileged to experience. It also somehow helps me not be intimidated by the people in a more powerful position than myself. I think because (to a point) social stature seems so insignificant when you're able to see the big big picture.

EDIT: I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to belittle MJs book. If I hadn’t read TMF , I feel I’d be stuck in this cubicle for the rest of my life. Missing out. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.