The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Just got from my local library these two....

Import/Export for Dummies
and
Start your own import/export business

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
2 books. Ca$hvertising and Words That Sell

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
Atlas Shrugged, definitely the biggest book I've ever started reading. I'm slowly making my way through it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Currently I am reading "Without conscience; the world of psychopaths among us":Amazon.com: Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us (9781572304512): Robert D. Hare PhD: Books

Statistically we will all come into contact with a psychopath at one point in our lives(scammers, thieves, liars etc). this book tells you all about the psychology and helps you identify them so you won't become a victim(hint: they are very charming!).

So far since I finished my spring college semester I have read about 50 books. I tried to do a book a day but fell behind.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Trump, think like a champion. I kinda want it to be over.

I would rather read a book about him as an early entrepreneur etc. I really enjoined the Zappo guy's book. I like to hear other entrepreneurs' stories.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I just read "What got you here, won't get you there". Amazon: What got you here won't get you there

At first, I really thought It was just another 'self help/motivational' book. Which it isn't, and it is. I really try to do my research of the writer before I read something from him or her, and this guy has a very nice trackrecord of coaching executives and CEO's.

What I liked about the book, is the way Goldsmith describes the interpersonal flaws but also acknowledge you, as a reader, can not decide if you really have that problem or not. That's where feedback comes into play.
His feedforward technique is one of those tools that might help you.
It goes like this: Decide the 1 thing you want to change. Tell somebody you want to change that habit, ask them two suggestion how to get better at that in the future. Just say 'thank you'.

The title is so, because a lot of very succesful people might believe that a habit got them where they are today, while it's more that they got there despite that habit.

Very good book. The website of the writer can be found here: Marshall Goldsmith group

Talk from Goldsmith on youtube:

[video=youtube;xY7UJVYM9n0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY7UJVYM9n0[/video]

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I'm currently reading "Fifty Shades of Grey"

If you're wondering why I'm reading a book targeted toward females, the answer is simple: This book has sold MILLIONS and it hasn't sold millions because of some ingenious marketing plan. Word of mouth has catapulted this book into a phenomena. As an author, I'm curious to read something that has so many people talking ...

On a personal note, I'm hating the book thus far and am about 1/2 way through.

There is something very strange about that book dude.

JayKim, I read that book in 2003-7, take it with a huge grain of salt.

As for two essential books of this year for me - "The Gift of Fear" - which I will post a little summation on, as there are about 5 pages in that book that are worth their ..uh, length, in gold.

And "How People Change" by Wheelis, is guaranteed to mindblast within first 20 pages. If you ever wanted to peek under the hood, this is the book. Be careful what you wish for.

D

Deleted11391

How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis.

One of my top 10 favourite books of all time.

Just started reading it again last night after a year or so from the last time i read it.

Really really enjoying it and finding that certain sections are resonating with me this time, which i had overlooked before.

One of the few get rich books, which goes out of its way to explain the downsides to becoming wealthy.

Highly recommend it.

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012
Startup Manual by Steve Blank
Enchantment by Guy Kawasaki

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Anyone read the 4-hour workweek? Does is apply to the fastlane mindset? Just finished "How to win friends and influence people" and was debating my next read. I have The four hour work week, cashvertising, and Cashflow quadrant on my shelf.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Current Reads: I declare by Joel Osteen and Secrets of the Millionaire Mind.

Just finished Cold Calling for Cowards, Good book really.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Anyone read the 4-hour workweek? Does is apply to the fastlane mindset? Just finished "How to win friends and influence people" and was debating my next read. I have The four hour work week, cashvertising, and Cashflow quadrant on my shelf.

Read the 4HWW and use some of his concepts. Problem with his book is people getting the attitude of not having to work to put it in place. It kinda promotes the get rich quick and easy mentality.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I honestly like the get rich quick stuff. It roots out the idiots.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
The 50th Law - Robert Greene

I saw a youtube video about it in the tv thread so I picked it up. Pretty good so far.

Moneymadness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 15, 2012
Bay Area, CA
If you're into marketing, I highly recommend reading, "Internet Prophets" by Steve Olsher. Possible one of the best marketing books I've read.

I'm also reading Cashvertising and One Simple Idea at the moment. Great books so far.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Also Reading: The Few That Do: The Few That Do - How Winners Set and Reach Their Goals: Brian Mc Shane: 9780956964205: Amazon.com: Books

I'm reading this too. Written by our very own, forum member Brian Mc Shane. Taking my team reading it and writing a lot in my journal. Haven't read much since the storm because my mind has been preoccupied with many other things, but will get back to it this week and do a full review when I'm finished.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted by andviv
Also Reading: The Few That Do: The Few That Do - How Winners Set and Reach Their Goals: Brian Mc Shane: 9780956964205: Amazon.com: Books
I'm reading this too. Written by our very own, forum member Brian Mc Shane.

I've finally started reading this as well.

Nearly finished with The Pumpkin Plan. I highly recommend.
The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field: Mike Michalowicz: 9781591844884: Amazon.com: Books

Just finished reading this and I got to say, it's one of the easiest reads in the business category I've read. Will give it another read after I finish Brian's book and Business Model Generation.
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers: Alexander Osterwalder, Yves Pigneur: 9780470876411: Amazon.com: Books

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
Been on bit of a reading spree lately; something about Business/Finance-related books...can't put em down.

Just finished Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends & Influence People, about halfway through with Cramer's Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World, and just ordered Peter Lynch's One Up On Wall Street and William Oneill's book on stocks as per MJ's recommendation from a prior thread.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Going back and forth between:
-Direct Marketing: Strategy, Planning Execution This is a pretty big book. I didn't realize until after I purchased it that it was probably a college textbook. I got the kindle edition as a preview (full book was $50-$70) so I ordered a used copy for $10. I am waiting until I finish my copywriting book(this week) before I dive deeper into this one
-The Adweek Copywriting Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Powerful Advertising and Marketing Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters This is my "Personal Skills" book. The personal skill I'm attempting to learn right now is Copywriting.
-Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant This is my 'strategy' book. I only allow myself 1 skill book, and 1 strategy book at a time. I just started it due to a recommendation on my progress thread.
-Sheriff of Yrnameer This is my 'escape' book. It's science fiction/humor, a LOT like Douglass Adams books if you're into the Hitchhikers guide stuff you'd probably like this. I read this when I need to clear my head after a long days work.

psaco131

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 16, 2012
Peru
Just completed "How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets" - Awesome book, the guy gets straight to the point describing the challenges one must face in the pursuit to become rich. Covers many aspects of the "process"

Currently reading: Ca$hvertising - 1/4 through the book and I I've already learned so much about consumer psychology.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Did anyone else who purchased "How to Get Rich" have issues with the binding?

My first copy had pages cleanly falling out every 5 pages or so. I sent it back to Amazon, got a new copy and still had about 7 pages fall out throughout the book. Didn't bother sending it back again since the time involved in sending it back isn't worth just dealing with the problem but it was kind of a let-down to see a book from a world-renowned publisher fall to pieces in my hands...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.