• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by ChrisV, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $488
    Good deal, I just picked it up yesterday; I've been meaning to read it for about 3 years now but finally bit the bullet.
    Was scared that it was 200 pages of braggadocio and conjecture, but it has solid nuggets within it's pages.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

2. Taebaek

Taebaek New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $32
  3. Ocean Man

Ocean Man How may I provide value? Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $456
    Have you completed any of them so far? I'd like your opinion on some of them.
    I recently finished The Reason for God; belief in the age of skepticism and I'm currently listening to Bad Blood Secrets and Lies of a Silicon Valley Startup. This one is crazy! Crazy how she's not in jail yet as they're waiting for their decision. After this book, I'm going to read The Road To Serfdom.

4. Alex Enache

Alex Enache New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $53
    Hi rynor. What is your opinion until now of the book? I know that was plubleshed in 2002. The concepts described in the book are still relevant for 2019?

rynor likes this.
  5. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,490
    Fabulous book! I loved it.

I need to re-read it again.

6. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,490
    Currently reading Be Here Now by Ram Dass. It was a favourite of Steve Jobs.

7. Guest921Y

Guest921Y Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Just finished “War of Art.” An incredible read for any struggling self publishers!

Thanks to @Wiggly0607 for the recommendation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  8. Siddhartha

Rep Bank:
    $488
    [​IMG]
    Listening to this again, because having MJ tell me I'm a wantrepreneur scrub and how to build something that people want and how to make sure it provides freedom for a lifetime is always a good commuting theme.
    I like that I'm internalizing more TUNEF and productocracy principles but, just like MJ calls out in the book; I feel restrained to inaction for something that's both 1)good 2)I can start on with my current skillset.

[​IMG]
    I read this for persuasion and not for the business aspects the first time, picked it up on audible for the business and "I do whatever the F*ck I want" aspects this time around

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    DavBo, MJ DeMarco and Guest921Y like this.
  9. rynor

rynor Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $492
    Hi Alex. I'm still reading the book, but can say that the ideas and concepts are still relevant today. The new edition was published in 2009 so it's a little more up-to-date in terms of the technology and references used.

DavBo and Alex Enache like this.
  10. Insidious

Insidious Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $253
    In the middle of (in no particular order):
    Plutarch's Lives Vol. 3 - I find a little historical perspective useful. Juices the gratitude for the time we live in if nothing else. Available @ Project Gutenberg

The Birth of Tragedy (Friedrich Nietzsche) - A couple of pages of Nietzsche in the morning gives my mind something to chew on all day.

The Second Self (Sherry Turkle) - The impact of the age of computers on human psychology and sense of self.

Vision To Reality (Honoree Corder) - A skim read for key concepts before tossing the book.

Manage Your Day-to-Day (Jocelyn K. Glei) - A collection of writings from a lot of 'current thinkers' on work & life. Seems somewhat aimed at artists, but there's also lots of stuff about time management and productivity. As usual, aimed at sidewalkers, but useful for independents as well. Many of the short articles I've read before, but it's a nice reminder/reference.

Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts (Bruce Lee) - A somewhat uneven collection of aphorisms. Compiled after his death, so it contains both 'thoughts' original to him, and notes that he took. If you're widely read you'll notice where the editor (?) doesn't realize that Lee is simply taking note of something someone else said, without comment or reflection.

Puck of Pook's Hill (Rudyard Kipling) - Damn can Kipling write! Available @ Project Gutenberg. There's a Kipling poem you might want to look up, it's called 'The Gods of the Copybook Headings'.

Starting a Successful Business from Scratch (William D. Poynter) - Title says it. Not sure about this one yet.

Recently finished:
    Unscripted (MJ DeMarco) - The examples from this forum's community lead me here.

Plutarch's Lives Vol. 2 - Notice a trend?

The 5 Love Languages (Gary Chapman) - Worthwhile if you're in a relationship or not. Also, you've gotta give this guy props for the money machine this 'idea' is. Take a look at the sales numbers and niche markets he's reaching. A good example of SOWING for a long time (as a therapist) and then using that domain expertise to REAP millions.

Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism (Fumio Sasaki) - Halfway between how-to and philosophy. Worth a read for the reminder to be mindful about what you (really) want, and not to fall into 'things' as social ego displays. Also good to remember that you, and your desires change, so your pile of things should too.

Play On: The New Science of Elite Performance At Any Age (Jeff Bercovici) - Was looking for cutting edge info on body maintenance and improvement. While there were a few things that were new to me, generally this is a neophyte surveying experts and tying together their info with stories about himself (kinda boring IMO).

The Pocket Guide to Action: 116 Meditations On The Art of Doing (Kyle Eschenroeder) - This has been published as a book, but it's also available on one of his websites for free if you want to take a look. Good stuff from someone else on the entrepreneurial journey. Kyle has a couple of 'deep thought' articles you should take a look at.

In the Queue (subject to change!):
    Left Of Bang (Patrick Van Horne)
    Can't Hurt Me (David Goggins)
    Zorba The Greek (Nikos Kazantzakis)
    The Warrior Ethos (Steven Pressfield)
    Finite and Infinite Games (James Carse)
    The Liberator (Alex Kershew)

Yes. I like to read. =)

Tommo, MakeItHappen, Mutant and 2 others like this.
  11. mn4life

mn4life New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    This year I have read:

-How to Win Friends and Influence People
    -The Richest Man in Babylon
    -Tribes
    -The 5 Second Rule
    -Tribe of Mentors
    -The Millionaire Fastlane
    -Shoe Dog
    -Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep
    -The Power of Habit
    -How to Change Minds

If you like audio I would recommend getting the Libby app where you can rent free audio books from your local library. I also have Blinklist which is a app where you can either listen to or read the main points of a book, like cliff notes.

12. Daniel B

Daniel B New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    To Sell is Human by Daniel Pink

Olimac21 and 1step like this.
  13. 1step

1step Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,621
    Peterman Rides Again

Just started last night so not sure on it yet but I think @AllenCrawley recommended this to me so it must be good

14. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $28,191
    Good Profit by Charles Koch

This was one of the most profound books that I have ever read. I am throwing it in the top books that I plan to read multiple times. It really put into words a lot of things that I feel about business but never knew how to express.

This is an absolute must read for anyone who has plans for big business. An absolute must.

Taebaek, extraordwealth and Insidious like this.
  15. OliverR

OliverR Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $435
    Just finished "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. A classic still very relevant today. Give it 5/5

extraordwealth likes this.
  16. Guest921Y

Guest921Y Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    One day I want my book to be the one that someone here is reading!

extraordwealth likes this.
  17. hydemx

hydemx Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $224
    Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
    by Chris Voss

LaraJF likes this.
  18. SamRussell

SamRussell Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $734
    I'm taking a break from business books - I was doing a lot of action faking with them. Now my reading list is:

Harmony - Walter Piston
    Counterpoint - JJ Fux
    Once I complete those, I'll finish "an introduction to tonal theory" by Weissgard.
    Finished an online course to compose in ternary form and will be taking one to deal with sonata form in a month or two.

Working on applying all this knowledge and writing as I go.

I can work faster and better at writing music now... got some way to go before I can approach Mozart's skill of writing a complete piece in an afternoon, but that's the target!

Insidious and extraordwealth like this.
  19. Siddhartha

Rep Bank:
    $488
    [​IMG]
    Reading TMF again to follow up Unscripted; I'm still so surprised MJ could put two rich, dense books together like this. Here's to Internalizing fastlane and Unscripted principles and making something great out of this life

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    MJ DeMarco likes this.
  20. Zcott

Zcott Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,376
    Listening to TMF - loving it! Almost finished it.

Taking advice handed out on here and in the books and looking for something on audible that will help me solve the problem in front of me.

Can anyone recommend their best books on sales? My sales is rusty.

21. Scalr

Scalr Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $167
    Listened to "The Ultimate Sales Machine" by Chet Holmes. I saw it being referred here. It is great and I think I will have to pick it up again in the future. Several chapters are relevant for bigger teams and how to train your employees. I skipped those for later. Really liked the section about the "stadium pitch".

Now started "10X" by Grant Cardone. High energy audiobook. Saw it being referred here many times. Looking forward to it.

LaraJF likes this.
  22. Siddhartha

Rep Bank:
    $488
    [​IMG]
    Over the year or two I've read or listenened to entrepreneur/success materials, I've been getting beat on the head with the "early to rise, early to success" principle; From Scott Adams and the 4am drawing sessions to Ferris/Robbins and their morning priming.

I'm hoping and planning on using this book and SAVERS to turn myself around and carve out time for me and me only each day; to do a 180 from the pattern I fell into over the past few weeks as school ended and I found myself getting up with barely enough time to get out the door in the mornings and staying up late with no definite purpose and cutting into my sleep time.

[​IMG]
    Just started this as my on-break book; Digging it so far and liking Taleb's writing style that can be erudite but also funny and human. The anti-library concept made me feel much better about the book-stack on my desk and the shelves of unread books I have.

[​IMG]
    My commute audiobook, I love case studies to death and hearing about them through this filter and being interpreted by a shark is just excellent. The bottom-up mindset and point of view is also great for defeating any possible resistance or excuses one can come up with, which is what everyone needs.

Scalr and LaraJF like this.
  23. mirabdolbaghi

mirabdolbaghi New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $73
    Currently reading:

Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond
    An interesting perspective on history and how it's affected by forces outside of human control. It's very informative but very dense and slow reading, at least for me. I'm working through it but it's not an easy read.

Blindness by Jose Saramago
    Fiction. What happens when a blindness epidemic starts spreading? A doctor and his wife who is naturally immune to the disease are quarantined in a mental asylum with other infected people. Cultural rules disintegrate and atrocities of humanity are commited. I'm guessing it's an allegory for concentration camps or something. It's written in a unique way and it captures the horror of the situation well.

Favourite books this year:
    Shogun by James Clavell
    Fiction. This is one of those books that you just can't put down. I didn't know it was possible to be both entertained and informed about an ancient culture at the same time. I wanted to live in this world and become a samurai lol

Hero by Michael Korda
    A biography of T.E Lawrence. The self-discipline, high executive function, vision and courage T.E Lawrence showed in his life was amazing. He was an enigmatic and complicated human being. A shy man but loves attention. Arabs were warmongers who loved battle and they admired T.E Lawrence for his courage. Driven by ambition and possibly a repressed homosexuality, he climbed high and fast. Inspired me to believe that a person can make huge impact if he has the self-belief and resolve to follow his ambition.

A personal goal of mine is to read 35 books this year and I'm trying to read biographies and non-fiction more.

LaraJF likes this.
  24. Dylan Hobrecht

Dylan Hobrecht Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $406
    I'm heavily into books. I have been reading a lot of different things. Some I put down and forgotten. It's great I finally assembled them here!

-Iron John: a book about men
    -The way of the superior man: a spiritual guide to mastering the challenges of women, work, and sexual desire
    -How to be a bawse: a guide to conquering life
    -E2
    -Unscripted: life, liberty, and the pursuit of entrepreneurship
    -Eat to live: the revolutionary formula for fast and sustained weight loss
    -Whiskey in a teacup: what growing up in the south taught me about life, love, and baking biscuits

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are by far my best books! I'm the type of person who is masculine, and enjoys beauty. My books definitely reflect that. Whiskey in a teacup was because naturally I'm from the south. I hope you would look some up. They are really great books

Secret master key:
    Get the audiobook and book and listen at 2x

I've yet to dive deep into Eat to live, but it's very comprehensive and wants me to stay dedicated. I'm very hopeful. Should be a great book

Iron John is very mysterious. I still can't quite put my finger on what it's trying to tell me. I'm 25, this is the perfect book for me. It's about young men. I hope you would cherish it as I have.

And of course Unscripted. I have so many questions, and am trying to escape the maytrix. I'm glad to have this as a resource. Y'all enjoy these now!

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  25. SREEJITH M M

SREEJITH M M New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $6
    I read The Millionaire fastlane and compiled a short thread on twitter. Check it out. This was a book which was radically different from any other books. This books is the reason why I am in this forum right now
    Sreejith on Twitter

The thread also contains many other books I have read and will post more as I read more books.
    Currently I am reading The Gene by Sidhartha Mukherjee

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.