The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

8721240.jpg

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.

The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.

Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.

Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .

Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,

By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

35138858.jpg

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman

Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant

Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager

Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.
What are you reading?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 3, 2018
Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers. Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control. He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital by Nathan Latka

This is like unscripted only shorter, less abstract and has step by steps which I am more than sure people will appreciate.

It's completely under the radar and I can't believe more people aren't talking about it.

Gold, gold, gold.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm somewhat of a WW2 buff, this is a great read, about an American who becomes a British spy during the war (because us dumb Americans have no use for a savvy woman who speaks 5 languages and has balls of steel.)

IMG_0893.JPG

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Just finished reading 2 books in the past few weeks and about to finish the 3rd one tomorrow.

1) StoryBrand : This is the book to get if you're heavily into branding. The concepts taught in the book are very similar to the kind of abstract and philosophical "hard-to-get" concepts written by rpeck90 here. The book is very highly actionable; they've "worksheets" for you to fill in with your branding concepts for your company. By the end of the book, you'll basically have a very streamlined and clear branding direction for your business and where you want to take it etc.

2) Visual Hammer : This book talks about the concept of the Visual Hammer and Verbal Nail in marketing. I will definitely be going back to read this one again next week. The idea is that marketing in the world focuses too much on the written word even though humans can remember images way better.
Basically, a Verbal Nail (what you intend your brand to be about and what it stands for) + Visual Hammer (the type of imagery customers associate with your brand) = Extremely powerful brand almost invulnerable to competition.
On every single page, the author throws about 1 - 4 different companies as examples. So choke full of examples that my mind is in a mess now. F*ck. I've never seen a book like this. It exposes a lot of new concepts which I've never thought of. The best thing is : the author boldly criticizes a whole ton of companies, what they did right and what they did wrong. This is rather unusual for a book as most authors usually refrain from talking about the bad points of how Company A did X amt of things wrong and what they could have done better.
Note, the term "Visual Hammer" doesn't necessarily refer to logos or icons in the book.

3) The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing : Another really good book. Written by Al Ries (Visual Hammer is written by his daughter) in the same style : critiquing a ton of companies in the world and how we can learn from them. I feel if one takes the lessons in the book to heart, one can really go far with branding. One section about quality vs branding makes me realize that quality is not everything.

IMO, I would rate all 3 books 5 stars.
I've now become a fan of Al Ries and will be reading more of his and his daughter's books.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

LuckyPup

Done Dicking Around
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Tools of Titans, i'm half way thought the book and i'm not sure if I should finish it. I've read many books this year but i still can't implement most of what i learned, now i'm rethinking which books i should read
Yeah, if you find yourself reading a lot of books, but not implementing what you've learned, you have a case of "action faking," as MJ puts it. Instead, read one book several times, until you develop the habit of implementation.

I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm an info junkie myself and have fallen into this trap many times.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Currently reading a book written by one of the forum members @JScott

I am thoroughly impressed. In my quest for learning, I had decided to read something totally out of my toybox of what I currently do. With that in mind, this book has held my interest.
I have an extremely hard time finishing a hard copy of any book so I normally just listen to audible played at 180x. But I've been reading this nightly and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Highly recommended.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019

This book changed me.
I read his earlier work "Love yourself like your life depended on it" and it was mildly useful for changing my self-talk and engaging some more self-respect/conviction, but it was just that, mild. Here Kamal managed to find the perfect g-spot between truth, hopes, life, and carrying on that gifted me a peace that I hadn't had since I read Herman Hesse's "Siddartha" when I was 19. I can tangibly feel that things will work out, and things will especially workout once I leave my gig to put all my effort into my venture.
Highly recommended, and this is free with a kindle unlimited subscription.

Completely solid book that I would recommend to anyone in a heart beat. It's a relatively short read but well layed out and sprinkled with anecdotes that help you latch onto the meaning and the process of getting over fears. Interestingly enough, author has ties to Kamal Ravikant and James Altucher.

Another critical book; People like Peterson would want you to believe that learned helplessness and pessism (and it's counterpart [mild-servere]-depression are innate and not easily overcome without a prescription course and multiples of psychiatrist visits.
In "Learned optimism" Seligman shows you decades of research, much of it his own; and how he could produce lasting, powerful results in mere weeks. He also shows statistics and evidence on how optimists are almost always more successful, higher-earners, and much more healthy; and also stories of people who started as poor-performing pessimists or depressed people that were re-trained and let loose back out into the world to success. This book helped me understand a bit more of the "Blind, reality distorting optimism streak" I see come up again and again with all successful entrepreneurs from Trump to Branson to Jobs; and I'm re-engineering my beliefs to adopt some more of this magic.
Glad Tony Robbins mentioned this in "Awaken the giant within" which I'm back to reading now.

Stay frosty and get at it y'all

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019
It's been a busy past few weeks

And last but not least:
Finally got my hard copy of unscripted in, between reading and listening to it I have almost the entire book memorized.

Why the f*** would you read so many books instead of selling fidget spinners on street corners and TAKING ACTION like a real hustler siddharhtha?
Because I am trapped in an office for a good amount of time and have a Fortune of time to spend listening to audible books.
At the moment I only have about 2 hours a day (waking up at 4am) to work on my business and plying myself to copywriting in hopes of escaping and gaining more time. Audio books are a way for me to fight back
No one is perfect, everybody does what they can do to do what they can; I'm just throwing in extra ingredients as I'm prepping my launchpad.

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Just finished Pre-Suasion by Cialdini. This is definitely one you have to listen/read twice.

What was striking about this book is that the sale happens before the sale.

Just like we used to think you made a sale by the words that come out of your mouth. Only to then discover, 80%+ was body language. Pre-Suasion is similar, in that the sale comes from the environment, and before you even utter a word.

For example, imagine 2 restaurants with the following names: Rue 17. House 37.

Both are of equal quality and value. However, customers are more likely to purchase a higher priced meal in House 37.

Or another example is increasing the price of food, to increase customer satisfaction. I noticed the Asian buffet in my town raised their prices by 77%. The place is more packed than ever. Same exact food and service. If you have the time, look up how buffets make money. It's fascinating. (Not an example in the book)

Likewise, you can trick people into success.

Simply putting up posters of someone winning a race, is enough to make the viewer more goal oriented.

Or...

How about marginalized groups? People who are under societal pressure to not do well in school? Well you can push their scores up without all the political trickery of padding results.

Again, put up a few posters, but this time of successful people who look just like them. I think we've known this for a while, just not applied to academics. If there is a task no one has been able to complete, then someone comes along and does it. Then soon after, other people start completing it as well. This is because they now know it can be done.

How about a principle that's related to current events?

Nike.

Pre-suasively, we give importance to what we're paying attention to.

And it's at an all time high:

upload_2018-9-8_11-6-40.png
While the controversy will hit them short term, (barely as we can see at the last candle), most people will forget by the next news cycle. However, those Nike connections in their head will strengthen.

upload_2018-9-8_11-7-33.png

More importantly, by the exposure effect, people who don't even care about what everyone is mobbing about, will subconsciously gravitate towards Nike. (Adidas who?)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance.

1) Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers.
2) Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied)

3) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control.

4) He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

absolutely

1) masterminds are not on earth to be sheep in a controled society . i can't say too much because of political correctness since political correctness is more important than truth in our world

masterminds are on earth to think about the big picture . not to watch TV an insult intelligence

2) yes the stupidity of the masses is very annoying for masterminds

very very annoying

this is why a lot of masterminds have contempt fot the masses

because of the stupidity of the crowd , living like idiots instead of thinking about truth

3) yes because masterminds are above the crowd

you can't tell a private to do the work of a general !

people are not equal

4) absolutely

look at this picture and the quotations

intj.jpg

so the book i read are masterminds related because money is not the goal of life but a means

once you get the money, you have to get serious and live the right way above the crowd

you have 80 or 100 years on earth to honour human dignity and intelligence

not to be energy in a system for unknow masterminds above you

for example :

flight.jpg

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Recently read Essentialism - all about cutting out the clutter and focusing only on those things that fit your vision and move the needle.

I'll be coming back to this book regularly. Highly recommend.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The books I've read recently that have blown my mind (and have ACTUALLY HELPED me level up):

1. The Great Libertarian Offer (by Harry Browne) - never heard of dude before and wish I had, earlier. Would vote for him in a heartbeat. Simply read the description here and let me know if it doesn't, at least make you curious what he's storing up for you inside.

Click here to read the description of the book

I never knew what a Libertarian was, what their values were or why I should even consider their party. That's all changed. I'm a fan. Love Harry Browne.

2. The Secret of Selling Anything (by Harry Browne) - This was the first book I bought from dude. He got it. He was a master sales guy, a master at sales psychology and knew how to write copy. I'd recommend incorporating this book into whatever your sales training if nothing more than filling in basic blanks that so many other trainings just plain miss.

It's gold and coupled with the next book on my list, you will be a unstoppable and very dangerous sale force to compete against.

Click Here to check out the description

3. No: The Only Negotiation System You Need For Work and Home (by Jim Camp) - Frequently referred to as one of the world's most feared negotiators (he passed in 2015), I MUST admit, this book has become my negotiating bible and I use principles to help me craft my own high ticket proposals that RARELY fail (usually if they do it's because I got impatient and tried to cut corners somewhere).

This is MUST read reading that I would recommend to someone who's paid me to coach them and, sadly, not enough people know about this amaze balls book.

The other thing to note about this book is it's NOT available on Kindle, which takes it's value up a notch due to it's exclusivity and, quite possibly, it's rarity.

If you can find it...get it.

Worth 1000X whatever the current price tag is.

4. Tools of Titans (by Tim Ferriss) - The book is basically a compendium and summary of past folks Tim has had on his podcasts and the wonderful lessons they've had to impart.

You can skip the book and just listen to the podcast and read his blog to get the same content, but the book is more of a convenience than anything and the wonderful insights you get from each of the contributors (who've all made amazing accomplishments throughout their lives) is well worth the read.

Inspirational, insightful and counter-intuitively thought provoking.

Recommend.

5. The 365 Stoic (by Ryan Holiday) - If you've never read anything about stoic philosophy, this is an excellent intro into the subject matter.

It's all about how to live an even keel life and how to maintain your emotional levels no matter the situation.

Dealing with life as it happens and keeping your emotions in check.

The way it's written is brilliant...read one chapter (about 2 pages long) each day. Get a little lesson, a little perspective and maybe a helpful lesson that could actually help you deal with your own personal adversity, no matter how big or small.

It's helped me deal with my own feelings a great deal.

6. Value Based Fees (by Alan Weiss) - Good lord...why does anyone charge for anything any other way?

Charging by the hour is actually a conflict of interest (if you ask me). If the service provider is good and can do a job quickly, they penalize themselves. If they suck, the client gets penalized and pays more for something that someone else could have handled sooner?

It's just not smart.

It also helps folks get a handle on how to evaluate and anchor value in the world of your prospect so that you can comfortably and confidently ask whatever you think you're worth for whatever it is you offer.

Must have for service providers, coaches, consultants, and anyone that is trying to understand how to reframe or at least better articulate value (MJ talks about skews, etc).

Game changer.

7. Building A Story Brand

---Oops...I gotta run so will finish this later.

Hope you dig so far and would love to know your thoughts about these recommendations, even if you dislike.

Insidious

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 3, 2019
Asheville, NC
In the middle of (in no particular order):
Plutarch's Lives Vol. 3 - I find a little historical perspective useful. Juices the gratitude for the time we live in if nothing else. Available @ Project Gutenberg

The Birth of Tragedy (Friedrich Nietzsche) - A couple of pages of Nietzsche in the morning gives my mind something to chew on all day.

The Second Self (Sherry Turkle) - The impact of the age of computers on human psychology and sense of self.

Vision To Reality (Honoree Corder) - A skim read for key concepts before tossing the book.

Manage Your Day-to-Day (Jocelyn K. Glei) - A collection of writings from a lot of 'current thinkers' on work & life. Seems somewhat aimed at artists, but there's also lots of stuff about time management and productivity. As usual, aimed at sidewalkers, but useful for independents as well. Many of the short articles I've read before, but it's a nice reminder/reference.

Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts (Bruce Lee) - A somewhat uneven collection of aphorisms. Compiled after his death, so it contains both 'thoughts' original to him, and notes that he took. If you're widely read you'll notice where the editor (?) doesn't realize that Lee is simply taking note of something someone else said, without comment or reflection.

Puck of Pook's Hill (Rudyard Kipling) - Damn can Kipling write! Available @ Project Gutenberg. There's a Kipling poem you might want to look up, it's called 'The Gods of the Copybook Headings'.

Starting a Successful Business from Scratch (William D. Poynter) - Title says it. Not sure about this one yet.

Recently finished:
Unscripted (MJ DeMarco) - The examples from this forum's community lead me here.

Plutarch's Lives Vol. 2 - Notice a trend?

The 5 Love Languages (Gary Chapman) - Worthwhile if you're in a relationship or not. Also, you've gotta give this guy props for the money machine this 'idea' is. Take a look at the sales numbers and niche markets he's reaching. A good example of SOWING for a long time (as a therapist) and then using that domain expertise to REAP millions.

Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism (Fumio Sasaki) - Halfway between how-to and philosophy. Worth a read for the reminder to be mindful about what you (really) want, and not to fall into 'things' as social ego displays. Also good to remember that you, and your desires change, so your pile of things should too.

Play On: The New Science of Elite Performance At Any Age (Jeff Bercovici) - Was looking for cutting edge info on body maintenance and improvement. While there were a few things that were new to me, generally this is a neophyte surveying experts and tying together their info with stories about himself (kinda boring IMO).

The Pocket Guide to Action: 116 Meditations On The Art of Doing (Kyle Eschenroeder) - This has been published as a book, but it's also available on one of his websites for free if you want to take a look. Good stuff from someone else on the entrepreneurial journey. Kyle has a couple of 'deep thought' articles you should take a look at.

In the Queue (subject to change!):
Left Of Bang (Patrick Van Horne)
Can't Hurt Me (David Goggins)
Zorba The Greek (Nikos Kazantzakis)
The Warrior Ethos (Steven Pressfield)
Finite and Infinite Games (James Carse)
The Liberator (Alex Kershew)

Yes. I like to read. =)

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Just finished reading Kevin O Leary's "Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women, and Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes and How to Fix Them".

Overall decent book. The book is all about saving and scrimping, and Kevin discourages you from buying certain things like cars. He also talks about whether one should waste the $ to go college, and how you should invest only in stocks that pay you a dividend monthly, how to avoid gold diggers, teaching kids the importance of saving money, and overall, do not spend on unnecessary crap, and a big section on not buying things on credit because the interest will kill you over time (ie. if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Just don't buy on credit)

It also has a section which runs along the same tune as one part in Unscripted, which is do not spend more just because you're making more (ie: making $4 million a year and blowing $3 million on trash just because "you can").
He also talks about why one should not mix $ with emotions.

From the book, I can see that Kevin is a scrooge, miser and penny-pincher, but here's the thing : I love his beliefs towards money and I aspire to scrimp like him. To be the Ultimate Miser.
The book complements Unscripted very well : scrimp and save, then funnel all the $ to your business to make even more money, then scrimp and save more, repeat, and occasionally pamper yourself to something you like once in a while.

Currently reading The Luxury Strategy after reading about it in the Luxury thread here.

SRathwell

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 26, 2017
Ontario Canada
I am currently reading (listening) to Quiet by Susan Cain.

This book is an eye opener for me. I always knew that I was an introvert but always thought of it as something was wrong with me. This book has changed my outlook on introversion, now I see that it is normal and can even an advantageous in many critical situations.

The book teaches how to be effective as introvert in a world that is dominated by extroverts. I recommend this book for everyone, but especially for someone who thinks they are an introvert and want to learn how to leverage it in business and in life.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Currently reading E-Myth after seeing this title posted in one of the posts here.

I'm at page 83 of the ebook and the author talks about some Business Format Franchise thing and how the true product of a business is not the product itself but the business (is he referring to the experience that the business can provide to the customers?). I hope he explains what all these means in later chapters cos it's sounding a bit abstract to me right now.

Like how those wise old man on Wudang Mountain in remote China telling you stuff like "In emptiness exists existence and in existence, there is emptiness".

I hope the book is not about asking readers to buy a franchise cos if it is, imma gonna demand a refund and throw rotten pies at the author's face.
Long time since I read the book, but I think you might be misinterpreting his message. He sure does talk a lot about franchises, but definitely not in the way that you should buy one.

Take McDonald's for example. They sell burgers. Anyone can sell a burger. It's a piece of bread, meat and some veggies. And in fact, many would argue that McDonald's sell shitty burgers.

But McDonald's is still the #1 food chain in the world. Why do you think that's the case?

One reason might be that Ray Croc or someone else defined a specific process for how everything in the restaurant should be done. Fries need to be fried for 3 minutes and 43 seconds. Toilets are cleaned every 30 minutes. This is exactly how you make a Big Mac, that is how you deal with customers.

It's so simple for a worker do this because they won't have to learn stuff for themselves, just follow the instructions. How else could a popular fast food chain be largely run by pimpled teens with no former experience?

It's a business system. Like a money-making machine where all you need is to turn the key. You've got processes and systems defined for everything, and everything needed for things to go well is someone to follow the instructions.

That's why McDonald's got franchisees. People want to start a business with high chances of surviving, so they start a McDonald's. All they've gotta do is to show up to do the work, and things could work out okay.

This is also an important notion to businesses that are NOT franchises. It will help you make things more efficient and painless, make it easier for potential employees to get in the groove, and might make the business more valuable if you choose to take on investors/sell it off.

Let's say you run an ecommerce store selling pet clothing. If you had to write a document outlining the process for everything that's needed to be done in your business, in simple, easy-to-follow instructions, what would you write?

What are the steps for finding new suppliers? What are the steps for importing and storing the product? How do you add a new product in the store? How do you package and ship it off? How do you deal with customer service? How do you communicate with followers on social media -- are you friendly and sincere, funny and viral etc?

Mikkel

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 25, 2016
Maryland
What are your thoughts on Mergers? Amazon being so big? Should the Government intervene? (For Example Anti-Monopoly)

Where/when do you think Government should intervene/ what should they regulate? If this was completely pro-free market we wouldn't have organizations such as FDA or USDA etc...

Why are pro-free markets better?
When I look at free markets, I want what is best for the consumer(myself) and the access to these products.

Mergers: These tend to be positive for the consumer as the two companies tend to bring their strongest assets/systems to the table and become more efficient and therefore decrease their costs, which is good for most everyone... except the competition.

Monopolies: I am not a fan of monopolies just because they can force new businesses out of existence. However, how do monopolies become a reality? It is typically due to regulations that make it impossible for small business to stay in business, leading to companies to buy out their competition and take a stronghold in the market. Even Facebook stated that increasing regulations for social media would be great for Facebook because it would help destroy its competition while FB would be able to weather the regulations due to its capital.

Government Intervention: The government should ONLY regulate against actions it wishes to exterminate. Like smoking. If you don't like smoking, tax the crap out of it and people will stop. However, what they SHOULD NOT do is try and regulate things they believe is good. Products are neither good nor bad. The individual can determine for themselves if a product is good or bad at the current free market price.
An example of bad regulation: when you give price caps on the water to farmers in California, you allow farmers to use excessive amounts of water to grow their plants, leading to shortages in water. If the government didn't cap the price of water, farmers would be more hesitant on whether they should grow water hungry plants in such a dry climate. Since the market can provide those exact same crops at a lower price because other areas don't have to pay for water since it is free... since it rains more often in other areas. The point of free markets is to allow the markets to determine the price and to allow for allocation of scarce resources.

FDA: Why can't a private institution do this? Why are consumers unable to determine if they should take a certain drug or not. Why should terminal patients not have access to potentially life-saving drugs just because they don't know if those drugs will cause damage to them... they are already at the end of their life if they don't do something different.
Now, I can see an argument that the FDA may be helpful in ensure drugs don't cause harm to patients, but why does a drug company have to spend years testing if their drug is effective? The market can determine that. Instead, the FDA jacks up the prices of these drugs because of all the testing that must be done, causing the drug companies to spend more money on R&D which gets past on to the customer.

The free-market system is just ONE system on how to distribute scarce resources. I believe it is the most efficient as individuals know the value of a product to themselves a LOT better than the government knows what is best for each individual.

Thomas Sowell and his book explain these ideas much better than myself. :happy:

Plank

That's not sawdust.. it's Man Glitter
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 20, 2016
Tennesse
The rational male, if you're a man and haven't read it, do so now!! Jesus I wish I had that book back when I was 15 or younger..
It's the "millionaire fastlane" of its genre, "self realization/awakening/relationship advice/people skills, etc. Really hard to put that book in a box..

DStark

New Contributor
Mar 3, 2017
Maryland
I am reading/listening to Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning and 12 Rules for Life. I recommend both these as they are absolutely fascinating and 12 rules for life is a great book to help orient yourself in your life. Dr. Peterson has fantastic viewpoints on life and they have helped me and I think would give great perspective to anyone who reads it.

MakeItHappen

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 12, 2012
12 Rukes for Life by Jordan Peterson
I haven't paid any attention to the hype the last couple of years but after watching some of his lectures the last couple of weeks I am finally reading his book and really like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom