The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

LaraJF

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 1, 2017
Silicon Valley, California
I just finished Company of One by Paul Jarvis (two thumbs up) and am currently listening to Hunting LeRoux: The Inside Story of the DEA Takedown of a Criminal Genius and his Empire. Totally fun read and quite thrilling. Next up is Black Death at the Golden Gate by David K. Randall. Before that I finished I Love Capitalism!: An American Story by Ken Langone (three thumbs up. I love when authors read their books)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
The Untethered Soul, Singer

Primeperiwinkle

though she be but little...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
7EA7DA0A-4692-491B-8E86-14EDEAECC98B.png I’ve read a bunch since the last time I posted but none of them are as beneficial to this forum than MY NEW FAVE BOOK OBSESSION.

Please get this book. Please. Please. Please. I need the idea of Resistance to be common knowledge on this forum.

It’s SOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Listening to “Tribes” by Seth Godin.

As with most of Seth’s stuff, pretty much every sentence is worth putting on a t-shirt, so it feels like drinking from a firehose. I’m not sure what my biggest takeaway is. I’d prefer more stories that I can latch onto.

Adam VanBuskirk

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Was speaking to the VP of Sales at my current company (guy is a hell of a salesman and veteran) and telling him I’m always on the lookout for the book that does a great job of explaining how to build the perceived value of a product in the customer’s eyes. Especially when selling / closing large accounts. He said SPIN selling - best selling book he’s ever read. I’m reading it now and it’s a must read. Fantasy book!

For fiction, reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Also a great book.

Tommo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I just finished Company of One by Paul Jarvis (two thumbs up) and am currently listening to Hunting LeRoux: The Inside Story of the DEA Takedown of a Criminal Genius and his Empire. Totally fun read and quite thrilling. Next up is Black Death at the Golden Gate by David K. Randall. Before that I finished I Love Capitalism!: An American Story by Ken Langone (three thumbs up. I love when authors read their books)
Try The Mastermind by Evan Ratliff it's about LeRoux also, excellent read.

Madara

New Contributor
May 18, 2019
Currently half way through Unscripted. This book is blowing my mind

MickeyNicks

New Contributor
Sep 13, 2018
Reading:

Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy and How to Make Them Work for You
Platform.jpg
...and

Slow Fade to Black: The Decline of RKO Radio Pictures

rko.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MickeyNicks

New Contributor
Sep 13, 2018
I'm not too far into it, but I say go ahead and pull the trigger on "Platform Rev."

It's good for a general overview of platforms, their history, and some interesting observations. It isn't earth-shattering, but it's a good starting point.

Adelaide

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
Last night I finished The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz.
It's written for CEOs and it is INCREDIBLE. Lots of tips on managing people - but it's for executives. It wouldn't suit everyone. If you're a thinker who loves people, you'll probably like it.

Earlier this week I started Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Funny thing is I've given this book to others as gifts, but never read it myself. I'm a couple chapters in and really enjoying it!

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 2, 2019
reading "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser. Great for non-fiction writers.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019

I had an amazing time reading his second biography; but it left me hungry to know what kind of hustles and deals he did when he was young to build his empire. I'm about 140 pages in, wholly lost in the book; seeing a man do between 15-22 what I hadn't even contemplated until I was 22.
There is one strong and indelible lesson I get from every page, and it's not just "fortune favors the bold", but "Being bold in ways that no one else can dare to, and putting yourself out there and taking the leap will always sow rewards".
Branson went from being a straight up failing dyslexic to interviewing keith richards and John lennon within a year of being told he'd either be in prison or a millionaire when he grew up by his school headmaster. Half a decade later, He produced one of the best-selling albums in british history and signed some of the greats of punk and rock to his label.
All of this and he never even really knew how to do these things, just that they had to happen.

For god knows what reason I'd been avoiding TGR, but I made the leap and got the audiobook after Daymond John said he revisits it very regularly in Power of broke, and was surprised but not shocked to see the basis for a lot of modern business/self-development books verbatim. I'm doing myself the favor of closely following the book and digesting the information, and I will see where this road takes me.

This popped up on amazon, everybody knows that market and product validation is ultimately important in the founding of one's productocracy. I'm fully intent on squeezing as much as I can on how to narrow down and hone in on things that can produce value in spades while working with my current skillset and life experience.

A family member loaned this to me, good on them because I was thinking about buying it myself. It's James Altucher and his normal mashup of life experience and advocating for the (fairly wonderful) daily practice. I'm incredibly glad to see a book that explains the benefits of creating value and basing an existence off of that as opposed to dying in a cubicle everyday.
He pointed out some poignant thoughts on how freelancing, in the end, is almost always better than a normal 9-5 and it's pushed me even more into weighing what I can do to separate from the soul drain, support myself and my family, and then found my own productocracy.

Keep it going y'all

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019

Listening to TMF/Unscripted and MJs wisdom over and over is like being in a ring with Oscar de le Hoya
Listening to Entrepreneur Rollercoaster was like being in the ring with a crack-addled Mike Tyson with blessed chinese fists of penultimate destruction.

No punches were held back, no fears were kept in the dark. Darren spelled out everything verbatim, and openly admitted so many times that you will come up again and again in potentially awful situations that will endanger your life, time, relationships, health, and future; but the exhilaration and rewards of the ride are completely worth it.
Going to give this a listen again after I finish my 3rd run through of unscripted, I'm so glad I bought it.

I had been wishing for a condensed, gold-nugget book about the core lessons of modern entrepreneurship; I didn't know that such a thing would find me on the bottom shelf of a half price books bookshelf.
It's barely 90 pages, but just two of them cut like the entirety of any other book.
Start because you need to.
Action now, knowledge later.
No business plan survives first contact with market.
Do what you can do yourself by yourself, delegate all else.
Being over having.

Only halfway through but I can see myself keeping this agile tome in my car or in my desk at work.

Last edited:

Olimac21

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil

Listening to TMF/Unscripted and MJs wisdom over and over is like being in a ring with Oscar de le Hoya
Listening to Entrepreneur Rollercoaster was like being in the ring with a crack-addled Mike Tyson with blessed chinese fists of penultimate destruction.

No punches were held back, no fears were kept in the dark. Darren spelled out everything verbatim, and openly admitted so many times that you will come up again and again in potentially awful situations that will endanger your life, time, relationships, health, and future; but the exhilaration and rewards of the ride are completely worth it.
Going to give this a listen again after I finish my 3rd run through of unscripted, I'm so glad I bought it.

I had been wishing for a condensed, gold-nugget book about the core lessons of modern entrepreneurship; I didn't know that such a thing would find me on the bottom shelf of a half price books bookshelf.
It's barely 90 pages, but just two of them cut like the entirety of any other book.
Being over having.

Only halfway through but I can see myself keeping this agile tome in my car or in my desk at work.
Derek Sivers book is so good, simple yet powerful.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Recently finished on Audible:

The Reason for God-Enjoyed it. Listened to it twice
Etched in Sand- An incredible true story of survival of a horrible childhood
The Gambler-Story of Kirk Kerkorian, rags to riches story of the Billionaire

Currently listening to Ready, Fire, Aim, 1st chapter a bit braggadocio and a turn off, but thoroughly enjoying later chapters. Some good takeaways....

Next on the list: Titan-The life of John D. Rockefeller- A huge 36 hour listen. Reviews impressed me.

I seem to get far more takeaways from reading/listening to Biographies of business builders than I do from any self help or how to book.

Real life stories of conquering and overcoming make a greater impression on me and seem to stay with me so much longer. Reminds me of military and political leaders referring back to stories of past accomplishments of others in the same arena in life. Many times it helped them move forward when the way was formidable.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Being over having.

I listen to this once a year. I just love his attitude to business, and the fact that he conducts business how *he* wants to do it.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Currently listening to Ready, Fire, Aim, 1st chapter a bit braggadocio and a turn off, but thoroughly enjoying later chapters. Some good takeaways....
Lol. I thought exactly the same of the first chapter, but then really enjoyed the rest. It’s been a few years since I listened to it and I recall the first half was more interesting, probably because of the stage I’m at. You’ve reminded me to relisten to this one. Thanks @million$$$smile

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019
I was in the GOLD mines today, looking for glimmers and clues in the cracks and alcoves,
A man who sold tasty frozen treats had let slip the recommendation of one book that was recommended to him early in his journey.
I went out on a hunch at this site, snaking my hand deep into the crevice, brushing past cobwebs, reaching and grasping.

And Then I Touched It.

I don't know why fortune has smiled upon me lately, but this book has done more in 80 pages than 1500 pages of like books I've read to date.
The beginning isn't even specifically a focus on marketing, just fatherly advice on diet, and holding the upper hand in looking (and being strong); about seeing a man get stabbed in the eye for being a snitch.
Then it turns.
He lays it all out.
Finding lists, what the best markets are; how it is imperative to Find A Market First and Then Sell to it. I'm only so far in but I'm reeling that I'm getting the skinny on direct marketing and influence from one of the greatest copywriters of the 20th century.
I know exactly what I'm reading after my miracle morning tomorrow.

Godspeed

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019

The 50th Law:
Complete self-reliance, and bludgeoning your fear to death.

Realizing that you can either hustle, or you can die; and that it's completely your choice.

Hearing a story like 50 cent's, especially his decision after getting a first "job" bagging crack rocks and deciding from this illegal job that employment would never be for him is amazing.

Greene cuts through the shit, and tells you straight out that no book, no guru, no course, and knowledge will ever give you what you don't already have.

This book was like a 40-ton drop-kick straight to the balls; now it's about finding my grit, dropping everything, taking what I've been putting off, and start executing.

I've already made some minor changes; From now on I'm going to have to work to make regular life as painful as possible, at home or out abroad, to start creating real change.

Anakalypsi

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 2, 2019
Listening to this right now.

Great narrator and great content. Highly recommended.

S.Y.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Just read The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement.

A gem. Saw it as recommended by Jeff Bezos. And man, I loved it. A definite re-read for me.

I think MJ said once that he was looking at writing the novel version of Unscripted. This book is an example of what it would look like.

Now reading two:
- Range: Why generalist triumph in a specialized world
- Supply Chain Management for Dummies

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
I've already made some minor changes; From now on I'm going to have to work to make regular life as painful as possible, at home or out abroad, to start creating real change.
Real change means that you have a philosophy wich sustains it.
Nietzsche sait it this way :
"phlegmatic natures can be inspired to enthusiasm only be being made into fanatics "
If you are not willing to die for you philosophy, you are probably a regular guy like everyone else.

by the way, i 'm not reading one book but dozens of books at the same time so i won't go into the details .

maybe you should look at this :

. striking.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom