The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

USA Meets NECST

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
So picture this..

A store that sells only USA made products. Some day reaching the size of a Walmart. I know there are some small shops like this in existence already, but they appear to be staying small (local based, no scale)

Why would this work?

Americans would support an American based store. The store would create jobs by only purchasing/selling american-made products. If you increase the demand in this area= more factories/warehouse/manufacturing jobs for Americans.

The store would also have to employ an entire work force like any other store of this size would. You advertise the "proud usa/go america" theme and you automatically tap into a huge market.

The obligation as an American to purchase American made goods would essentially force people to shop at this store (to some degree). I could see a scenario playing out where someone comes by your house and notices that your "insert product here" was made in China (omgomg). How would that make you feel as an American?

Why wouldn't it work?

Prices. American made products are known to be a little more expensive. I believe this will be offset by the knowledge that the higher prices are going towards more jobs for Americans.

Products? It's hard to find everything in the USA. I believe that as we grow, and the demand for usa-made products grow, manufacturers will accommodate those needs.

Acceptance - It seems like China (and other foreign) products are here to stay, and people don't really care where their stuff comes from as long as it's cheap. I'd like to think I'm wrong about this to some extent, but I just don't know.

Need - People will always need products like the ones Walmart offers. People need to support american made products to grow our economy. People need jobs.

Entry - It can't be easy creating the next Walmart, let alone your own store.

Control - You own it. Future sam walton.

Scale - Refer to Walmarts scale. Everywhere. Start with one, and grow to conquer.

Time - If you read the book e-myth(or fastlane) you should be able to separate yourself at some point from your business.

I don't want anyone reading this to think I'm against every country outside of the USA. That's not the case, I'm just presenting an idea based on things I've heard and seen throughout the years.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
well, most don't care where the products are made.

same thing goes for biological food.. people know the bio is better, but still they buy the cheapest they find.

pittyboy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 9, 2011
In Theory this is a great idea. Only in our country can it be considered egotistic, or hateful, or just plain evil if you are proud to be an American. I do not neccissarily agree with all of the politics in our country but I am proud to be an American and would buy the goods I need at an all American store. I am from a small town in Minnesota and I make sure that I shop at the locally owned stores before going out of town or to Walmart. If you don't support those type of things then they no longer exist.

Also as an Enteprenuer, if we don't support our own country or community then our local customers will not have the means to support us back. One may be able to bypass this to a degree or completely by doing things globally on-line but what kind of quality of life you be able to have in your own area of the world if everyone else is suffering? We can all still be successful and reach the dreams we have by being ethical, moral and in integrity.

Just some thoughts. Great post abeausimpson

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
This wouldn't work for multiple reasons in my opinion.
But the biggest one is:
Americans don't give a damn where a product is manufactured. The only thing that matters to us is that the brand has a good reputation in America.

You don't have to look too far. Let's analyze the auto industry. Foreign cars dominate the American market. Even tho the 3 big US car makers made cheaper cars than their foreign competitors, they account for only around 40% of the market. Two of them had to be bailed out with your tax money. Lol Ford is actually doing better in India than they are in the states.
When it comes to luxury cars, American made cars are almost non-existent. Moral of the story is quality is what people look for. Patriotism doesn't matter to the majority of consumers.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
911 - you ended with moral of the story being quality. I feel people believe american made products are far superior in quality vs any china(foreign) based products (although not in the auto area).

With that said, the auto industry is a good example. I'm not denying that people don't care where their products come from. Look at almost every store in America - everything comes from China or other countries where it costs less to manufacture thus resulting in lower prices.

This concept of the store really shifts to the BIG topic of relying on China(foreign countries) to produce everything for us so that we pay less. At some point, and I feel that point is slowly creeping near, people are going to realize we have to rely on ourselves to get us out of this economic mess. It made sense to outsource everything because it cost less for us (in the short term), but if you look at whats happening you'll see that long-term it was a disastrous move. China is thriving. We are funding growth overseas, and neglecting it at home.

The store would act as a moving point to get the ball rolling and encourage others to support American made products. It may be a crazy idea, but it's just something I thought I'd share to hear other thoughts.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Well by the time the non-skilled labor jobs start heading back to America, robots will be doing them :). Unskilled workers make too much money here so by the time Chinese workers can ask for the same salaries, robots will have taken their jobs already.
I don't think outsourcing got us into this mess at all. There are still plenty of jobs in America. American companies have been using oversea factories for a while now so it's nothing new. What got us in this mess is people spending more than they could afford to spend. Getting a 500,000 mortgage when they can't afford it, financing a big SUV to impress their neighbors when they can't afford it.

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
Yea theres more factors when buy than where its manufactured.. Like I'd rather shop at a place with good prices, best coolest stuff, and good selection.

Its sad for USA but we are moving toward a global society, theres no real stopping it either.. Just gotta grow with it not against it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.