The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Too old?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tattman

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 29, 2022
I've tried all the ususal stuff since my twenties.
Building a bricks and mortar business, online shops, money lending, stocks and shares, selling cheap crap from China on Amazon the list goes on.
I've failed at them all, and after a while wallowing in my own misery I've awakened again.
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Building a bricks and mortar business, online shops, money lending, stocks and shares, selling cheap crap from China on Amazon the list goes on.
I've failed at them all, and after a while wallowing in my own misery I've awakened again.
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?
There are many examples in history, when people started in 60s and succeeded. For example see Colonel Sanders story who received over 1,000 rejections before selling his recipes of fried chicken. He started late in life, around 60.

Here is a quote from

"Look no further than three-star Michelin chef, Helene Darroze, HuffPost founder Arianna Huffington, Coca-Cola inventor John Stith Pemberton and McDonald’s Ray Kroc. Each created a successful business after 50. "

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?
So, what if idea #6 (or whatever) works? FYI, mine was business #7 or 8 or something.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?

Are you? Only you can answer that.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?
if anything your too young to have that mindset, its all mental, its not how much fight is in the dog, its how much dog is in the fight, get out there and dont stop til your dead

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
What does that mean 'failed them all'.

You've been doing this for 30+ years surely there's some lessons you've picked up on, or were able to iterate to do more successfully?

What's your definition of success?
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?
I'm not sure if you read any of @MJ DeMarco books, but providing VALUE , and solving people's problems has nothing to do with you (especially your age), it has everything to do with them.

As @Andy Black says - 'Who Have You Helped'.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?

Too old for what?

What would you like?

To win top 40 under 40? Yes, too old. Same with playing college football ;)

To make a pot of wealth that even your kids can’t spend (unless they try really hard!) - then not at all.

People overestimate what they can do in 1 year but underestimate what they can achieve in 10.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Am I too old?
Nope. What is that adage? Age is just a number? Sure you might not have the energy like a young guy like me but don't you have something else?

I'm 21. People my age have the excuse of being young, dumb, and broke. You happen to be on the other end so you must have some wisdom and learning experiences. You're on this forum, so you have access to knowledge most people don't. I can see why someone would use being "too young" as an excuse because they haven't tasted enough of life.

But you've been here for more than twice my years. You have many experiences, memories, and wisdom that could very well set you up to be free in the next few years if you choose to. Too late at 50?

My dad smokes and eats most carbohydrates and complains that he is feeling old at 45. I tell him I see 60 years old looking and feeling like greek gods at the gym. I tell him whenever he's ready, he can become just like those guys I see. I'm still waiting for the day he goes to the gym and realizes the lies he tells himself, are just that, lies. They're just self-placed limitations and rational excuses to not even give change a try.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
he is technically not too old but he will probably continue to be the way he has been for the last 30 years.

booo, common sense, boooooo
I got that part, but the 'better luck next time' sounds douchey just like your follow up post. But as you said that will probably continue to be the way you have always been.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I got that part, but the 'better luck next time' sounds douchey just like your follow up post. But as you said that will probably continue to be the way you have always been.
probably

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As @Andy Black says - 'Who Have You Helped'.
Exactly.

Are you too old to help people?

Are you too old to get paid for helping people?

Hint: The market doesn't care about your age. You can't invoice someone because of your age right?

Sooo...

Who will you help this week, even unpaid?

What will you do to make a sale this week?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
BUT.
I'm 50 next.
Am I too old?
Partner with someone younger so that you can provide the experience and direction while he has the high energy level to hustle daily.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
How you do things is more important than what you do.

"Trying the usual stuff" and "selling cheap crap from China" are not exactly indicative of a passionate entrepreneur eager to provide value, but rather someone who is trying to make a quick buck.

Are you too old?
It depends on what are you trying to achieve and how much you are willing to change.

If you repeat the same mistakes and patterns of thinking of the last 30 years, then yes. You were too old since you were in your 20s. You could live the same life for 1000 years and get the same results.

On the other hand, if you are willing to change and learn from your mistakes, you can achieve massive success in a few short years. Regardless if you're 20 or 50 - the market doesn't care about you and how old you are.

PS:
Focus on your health. As long as you are healthy, age is just a number.

Good luck.

Tattman

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 29, 2022
Some epic replies there people, a massive thanks.
I clearly need to change my mindset. The passion is there and always has been.

The Great Rat Race Escape has stoked my fire again. I know full well I'm capable.
I think it will help to write down mistakes made in previous attempts, learn by them and find a way to help people. I simply can't and won't keep working the day job until death.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some epic replies there people, a massive thanks.
I clearly need to change my mindset. The passion is there and always has been.

The Great Rat Race Escape has stoked my fire again. I know full well I'm capable.
I think it will help to write down mistakes made in previous attempts, learn by them and find a way to help people. I simply can't and won't keep working the day job until death.
Have a look at the first row of links in my signature. They're there to help people get untangled and get going.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi Tattman,
I m some years older and yes, we are too old!
Sure I could say, its my foult, because I didn’t get my a$$ up from time to time. Or that I gave up too ealy out of frustration.
But no, I think it’s because we are too old!

This year I started going to the gym after decades of not. But I m too old. My T shirt is old (style), my pants. I don’t want to run around in the gym like a fool. I m too old. So, well, I ll be an old fool in the gym. Doesn’t matter for me.
The last years I tried some „usual „ shit. Means I invested some time and saw no future.

To old. ? Fuxx! Yeas, if you need an excuse, you are too old! But don’t use that EXCUSE towards others, it will only work towards yourself!

If you want a business, take your young a$$ and do it.

PS: I love the comments of @Johnny boy , they are so ironical direct with no bs!

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Think of Colonel Sanders. My current employer is over fifty. He started a great school project and I see he is on the Fastlane Road. 50 is nothing when a person can make millions in 5. I am 26. I feel old. Should have read TMF five years ago. But that's nothing. I have read it now. I have my one thing. The gold is three feet away. Read MJs books man. That should be your next step.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.