The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is what 60 Pounds (27 KGS) Looks Like

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"When you reduce your caloric intake, your body gets its needed energy by releasing and utilizing its stores of glycogen, which is a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and the liver. ... This results in the initial "water weight" loss that accompanies early weight loss from dieting and calorie restriction."

Losing Water Weight vs. Losing Fat

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
On a related note, my wife had good success transitioning from a non-runner to a jogger using the free C25K (Couch to 5k) app. She then parlayed that into eventually doing a 15K. I am not a runner nor do I have much interest in becoming one (preferring other sports as a means of exercise) but check out the free C25K apps on all mobile platforms.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
Sorry if I'm repeating what people have already said, or I'm going against some other advice here (there were a shitload of replies to this in such a short time!), but wanted to share some personal tips and words of advice of things that worked for me, and conclusions I've come to based on books I've read and experience over the last few years:

- It's 80% diet, and 20% exercise. (roughly). If you keep eating crap, no matter how you exercise, you're getting nowhere.
So invest in better nutrition, don't waste all your efforts on the exercise part. (Focus your energy on that 80% part, but don't forget about the exercise, it has lots of other benefits beside weight loss).
- Sugars, and unrefined carbs are bad. Cut down on those, and you're mostly there.
- From that follows: Fats (and proteins) are not bad!
- The whole calories in and out thing is way oversimplified. There are way more involved systems involved. And on top of that, you really only think calories go out by exercising?

A read I'd recommend is "Why we get fat", by Gary Taubes. (and also "Good Calories, Bad Calories", by same author)
(yes, those are referral link, hey this is an entrepreneurial site!)

Good luck Vigilante!

Cheers,
Martijn

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Although this thread is already packed with too many opinions, why not add one more? I think you're doing the right thing by sticking with a pre-made plan @Vigilante

It's great to have options and to debate about this and that, but nothing beats adherence like a set it and forget it strategy. This is even more important when you're trying to engineer a break with decades (or a lifetime) of bad habits.

When I was younger I used to worry about all that detail stuff. It seemed like the kind of thing worth arguing about on 20 page internet threads. As I got older and had more experience with myself and seeing results in others, I realized most of it didn't matter.

The people who got the best results were the people who were still in the gym in October, while everybody else who made the New Year's resolution was back on the couch by February.

This was even true when they were doing everything "wrong". (Believe it or not, sharing information about nutrition and exercise involves a lot of ego! I know, I was also stunned to learn this.)

Facts about physiology and nutrition are waaaaay down the list of Important Things next to psychology. It's your own head that will beat you 99 times out of 100 if you aren't prepared.

Having a structure in place is absolutely vital to making change happen and stick. If you have to think about it, if every meal is a conscious decision, if you've got to make it an act of will, you're going to fail. It's not a matter of if, it's when... and how spectacular the implosion will be.

On the other hand, relentless consistency with "non ideal" methods (whatever these might be) has a great track record.

I don't have many specific recommendations besides that (and even if I did, would it matter? LOL). In general, very overweight people can get away with eating less, for longer, than people closer to the biological set point.

You'll also have the advantage of any exercise being good exercise. I've seen very overweight people make tremendous improvements by adding 30 minute walks every day. You don't need anything extravagant at first, and the fewer changes you make the more likely they are to stick.

Good luck with your goal here. I expect you'll see great things .

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
THANK YOU Vig for reopening this thread. This is not only an important goal for you (me, and others) to work side by side in, but it is very informative. And I need cold hard facts.

You'll also have the advantage of any exercise being good exercise. I've seen very overweight people make tremendous improvements by adding 30 minute walks every day. You don't need anything extravagant at first, and the fewer changes you make the more likely they are to stick.

This is my plan exactly. I had to walk from one end of a shopping mall to the other, and I couldn't do it. I had to rest. I have other issues that make it difficult - not just being out of shape - but damn, I didn't think I was that bad off. I remember the day when I laughed at someone telling me walking was exercise. Walking? Shit, I could do that all week long without a rest. Well, things sure change!

So first on my list - the shopping mall. 30 minute walk. THIS is the kind of simple, but very useful advice I need! It might have been a mere afterthought for you to post this rougue, but always remember some of us here are studying every single word!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Best of luck @Vigilante

Also an idea for the forum, can we get a "HEALTH Progress Thread" section? It looks like everyone has their own opinions on what works and doesn't, so it'd be interesting to have people post their progress and use the community for feedback/motivation. I'd be in to start a progress thread of my own.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Although this thread is already packed with too many opinions, why not add one more? I think you're doing the right thing by sticking with a pre-made plan @Vigilante

It's great to have options and to debate about this and that, but nothing beats adherence like a set it and forget it strategy. This is even more important when you're trying to engineer a break with decades (or a lifetime) of bad habits.

When I was younger I used to worry about all that detail stuff. It seemed like the kind of thing worth arguing about on 20 page internet threads. As I got older and had more experience with myself and seeing results in others, I realized most of it didn't matter.

The people who got the best results were the people who were still in the gym in October, while everybody else who made the New Year's resolution was back on the couch by February.

This was even true when they were doing everything "wrong". (Believe it or not, sharing information about nutrition and exercise involves a lot of ego! I know, I was also stunned to learn this.)

Facts about physiology and nutrition are waaaaay down the list of Important Things next to psychology. It's your own head that will beat you 99 times out of 100 if you aren't prepared.

Having a structure in place is absolutely vital to making change happen and stick. If you have to think about it, if every meal is a conscious decision, if you've got to make it an act of will, you're going to fail. It's not a matter of if, it's when... and how spectacular the implosion will be.

On the other hand, relentless consistency with "non ideal" methods (whatever these might be) has a great track record.

I don't have many specific recommendations besides that (and even if I did, would it matter? LOL). In general, very overweight people can get away with eating less, for longer, than people closer to the biological set point.

Good luck with your goal here. I expect you'll see great things .

I agree with most of what you are saying here. Working hard with consistency and perseverance are key in basically everything in life. The only thing I really disagree with is this:

Facts about physiology and nutrition are waaaaay down the list of Important Things

If your goal is to change your body wouldn't it make sense to understand the physiology behind how to do that? Wouldn't it make sense to learn how the human body works? Just like if your goal was to start a successful business wouldn't it make sense to know how business works before starting? Just trying to understand your logic on this one.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
This is my plan exactly. I had to walk from one end of a shopping mall to the other, and I couldn't do it. I had to rest. I have other issues that make it difficult - not just being out of shape - but damn, I didn't think I was that bad off. I remember the day when I laughed at someone telling me walking was exercise. Walking? sh*t, I could do that all week long without a rest. Well, things sure change!

So first on my list - the shopping mall. 30 minute walk. THIS is the kind of simple, but very useful advice I need! It might have been a mere afterthought for you to post this rougue, but always remember some of us here are studying every single word!

I'm glad it's helpful. And I'm glad you put it this way.

I've gotten pretty cynical about internet discussions on fitness and nutrition over the years. These are topics which have very low barriers to entry, and they always seem to turn into slap-fights about pointless disagreements.

But it's also easy to forget that what's common sense after 20 years isn't so common to others.

This isn't to say that easy walks will work forever, mind you. Cardio trains up fast, so even if you do feel out of shape the first couple of weeks it won't necessarily keep sucking for very long. But if you're very heavy and very out of shape, you can get a lot of mileage out of it.

I can't tell you how many trainers who've come to me asking why they couldn't get an obese person to drop weight using intense cardio. Interval training strips fat off like magic... if you're already pretty lean. Telling someone carrying a lot of extra fat to do a 15 minute HIIT workout 2-3x a week isn't going to cut it.

It's easy for a trainer, who is probably already in pretty decent to good shape, to forget what it's like to go from complete couch-potato to a baseline of 'in shape'. Getting your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes a day is part of that process.

If your goal is to change your body wouldn't it make sense to understand the physiology behind how to do that? Wouldn't it make sense to learn how the human body works? Just like if your goal was to start a successful business wouldn't it make sense to know how business works before starting? Just trying to understand your logic on this one.

Let's say you want to be an electrician. You may see some benefit from having a degree in electrical engineering before you start wiring up houses. You definitely don't need a Ph.D. in physics. The best way to learn how to wire up houses is to go out on job sites with a master electrician and get to wiring up houses.

I'd hire the guy who has spent 20 years wiring up houses and teaching others to do it over the guy who just stepped out of college with his BSc.

It sometimes rubs people the wrong way when they hear me say this. They think of the big steroid-monkey down at the gym spouting off gym lore from 1985 issues of Muscle & Fitness. He would probably be a bad trainer for anyone but a male bodybuilder wanting to compete and willing to use chemicals.

This would be like finding out that my veteran electrician has done shoddy work that has caused fires in 60% of the houses he's wired up. Experience isn't a guarantee of skill or wisdom.

How do you make the call when both have downsides?

I'm asking myself who has skin in the game.

My only point is that academic debates about physiology aren't productive uses of time or energy after a certain threshold. After that, it has rapidly diminishing returns. The fine details of physiology have no real implications for practical knowledge, which is hopefully going to get actual results for actual people.

It's totally free for anybody to get on an internet soapbox and debate about this or that Pubmed paper or whatever.

The equation totally changes when there's a real cost to you, when you have to get results or you risk your reputation. Or you don't eat.

Result-getting actions and strong understanding of physiology aren't strongly correlated.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Good luck @Vigilante , this will change your life!

The same type of visualising (except with weight in the gym, when I realized I carry it around all day every day) has worked for me.

I'm not nearly an expert, so I'll just share what worked and works for me, as maybe it can help you and others:

- While it's true that not calories are created equal, and have different effects on our body and hormones, I found it VERY important and useful to watch my caloric intake and stay at a deficit. It's like a brutal reality check, because even with the healthiest foods, how can we lose weight on caloric surplus?

It's also sobering in a way, when you realize how much calories there are in something you may have deemed small, and helps you to naturally modify your diet, or hold back from one more donut.

- Caloric restriction is too hard in itself to be hell-bent on perfectly healthy food too. Treats are fine. They may slow down the progress a tiny bit, which is so much better than crushing the progress completely due to cravings from going "too healthy" too fast.

- Fasting just works, and it's good to do periodically anyway. It can't not work.

- When I have a really active day, or am in some outdoor adventure, I eat less as I have no time for that:)

- If you feel a meal without dessert is not complete, try having a much smaller serving of dessert. I found it worked for me, as obviously it was more about finishing the meal with a sweet taste, and less about stuffing my face with calorie dense food. E.g. I found that 1 piece of chocolate can make me as happy as eating it all, and actually happier as I feel better.

Being overweight causes a rise in estrogen(s) and a lowering of T levels (causes increased aromatase, which is the process of testosterone converting to estrogen)

This is spot on and can be part of the issue. It's worth looking up foods with aromatase-inhibiting properties. Healthy and tasty stuff:)

Pretty sure the donuts and sedentary lifestyle trump the blood work though.

The wonderful part is that eventually cravings subside, or are so rare that they make no difference. E.g.how do you not take a piece of wedding cake? That's no way to live:)

Because EVERYWHERE is an obstacle; a burger commercial, a fast-food joint, a great menu at the restaurant -- you literally cannot escape the encitement and encouragement for a poor diet.

Just know this... it does get easier and at some point, your cravings for whatever is putting your weight out-of-skew (sugar, fat, empty carbs, etc.) will subside.

+1. What was game changer for me was when I had it with not being able to find foods that fit my nutritional needs and my budget. Although I was always averse to cooking, that aversion disappeared in a single moment, as I was eating one badly prepared/overpriced piece of junk too much.

I went to the store, bought fresh, quality foods, prepared it really well (and getting better ever time). It was:

- Tasty
- Healthy
- Affordable
- More satiating, making me eat less
- More varied, whatever I imagine, I can make it and there are recipes online. Eating is fun and exciting now

Funny thing is - I don't have cravings now. I don't mind the commercials at all.

Raitis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Mar 12, 2018
Lithuania
Good luck! It's going to be worth it!

A few years back I understood that with teen years passing and reduced physical activity my way of eating became unsustainable. It was showing on me already.

Initially I decided to and successfully lost around 10 kilos (20ish pounds, around 10% of my bodymass at the time) in around 3 months following the Tim Ferriss' proposed Slow Carb Diet. I already knew myself well enough at the time to understand that anything where I would need to count calories or restrict myself forever wouldn't work. SCD was the first thing that fit the bill so I took the plunge and it's one of the best things I've done.

You ordering a month's worth of food is a great way to increase the chances of sticking to it. Just keep up your efforts for long enough for the cravings to recede and you will wonder what the hell you were doing before.

By now I've added some sugary things like fruit and occasional high cocoa chocolate back to my diet, but decent physical exercise is back as well. Still, the biggest obstacle to eating as I'd like remains the various unfitting food products I have at home and forcing those out just wouldn't be worth it relationship wise.

Good luck on your journey!

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
My only point is that academic debates about physiology aren't productive uses of time or energy after a certain threshold. After that, it has rapidly diminishing returns.

I agree with this. I think we just disagree on where that certain threshold is. I've seen so many people fail at weight loss, including myself, that I'm probably biased in believing that we need to know more about physiology than you believe we need to know. Nothing wrong with that.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
View attachment 19522 I'm in day three, and the initial results have been fun. We all know how to improve our physical health. For me, having a specific crafted plan to follow has made a huge difference. This weekend has been a singificant carb crash as I get my body into ketosis. The food I purchased arrived Thursday, so I started following the specific first week plan Friday morning. So much water! I did also do a six mile bike ride yesterday, as I start slowly training for the two 5k's that I registered for (the first one fittingly on Father's day) --- I will probably walk that one but don't care. Better than sitting on the couch.

Spent some time chatting with @LightHouse about water weight loss (using water to flush out the easy first level impurities and lack of hydration). My guess is this first week I will drop 6-8 lbs which should be not super difficult as the initial weight will melt off. I bet it's harder for someone remotely healthy to drop a few pounds than someone fat fat fat to drop a dozen.

@LightHouse then promptly texted me a photo of him eating one of my favorite donuts.

#LifeCoach

I'm glad it's helpful. And I'm glad you put it this way.

I've gotten pretty cynical about internet discussions on fitness and nutrition over the years. These are topics which have very low barriers to entry, and they always seem to turn into slap-fights about pointless disagreements.

But it's also easy to forget that what's common sense after 20 years isn't so common to others.

This isn't to say that easy walks will work forever, mind you. Cardio trains up fast, so even if you do feel out of shape the first couple of weeks it won't necessarily keep sucking for very long. But if you're very heavy and very out of shape, you can get a lot of mileage out of it.

I can't tell you how many trainers who've come to me asking why they couldn't get an obese person to drop weight using intense cardio. Interval training strips fat off like magic... if you're already pretty lean. Telling someone carrying a lot of extra fat to do a 15 minute HIIT workout 2-3x a week isn't going to cut it.

It's easy for a trainer, who is probably already in pretty decent to good shape, to forget what it's like to go from complete couch-potato to a baseline of 'in shape'. Getting your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes a day is part of that process.

Let's say you want to be an electrician. You may see some benefit from having a degree in electrical engineering before you start wiring up houses. You definitely don't need a Ph.D. in physics. The best way to learn how to wire up houses is to go out on job sites with a master electrician and get to wiring up houses.

I'd hire the guy who has spent 20 years wiring up houses and teaching others to do it over the guy who just stepped out of college with his BSc.

It sometimes rubs people the wrong way when they hear me say this. They think of the big steroid-monkey down at the gym spouting off gym lore from 1985 issues of Muscle & Fitness. He would probably be a bad trainer for anyone but a male bodybuilder wanting to compete and willing to use chemicals.

This would be like finding out that my veteran electrician has done shoddy work that has caused fires in 60% of the houses he's wired up. Experience isn't a guarantee of skill or wisdom.

How do you make the call when both have downsides?

I'm asking myself who has skin in the game.

My only point is that academic debates about physiology aren't productive uses of time or energy after a certain threshold. After that, it has rapidly diminishing returns. The fine details of physiology have no real implications for practical knowledge, which is hopefully going to get actual results for actual people.

It's totally free for anybody to get on an internet soapbox and debate about this or that Pubmed paper or whatever.

The equation totally changes when there's a real cost to you, when you have to get results or you risk your reputation. Or you don't eat.

Result-getting actions and strong understanding of physiology aren't strongly correlated.

Pretty much, the 80-20 principle. You don't need to know everything. You need to know the basics that are simple and easy to remember because that's where 80% of your progress will come from. This all the BS in this thread and arguing back and forth is literally waste of SSD space on MJ's servers.

Someone starting out doesn't need to be exact, just be simple and consistent. It isn't hard, it mostly all psychology when you get down to it.

80% psychology / 20% mechanics

Of that 20% mechanics...

80% What you eat / 20% movement

That's how I have always seen it in my head. (Plus you have to be consistent no matter what.)

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Kudos to you Dave for coming to terms with and sharing your issues in public like this. Takes some balls to come out and admit our problems, but doing so can also force yourself to stay accountable.

I myself had the opposite problem most of my life. I used to be jealous of people who were big. Up into my mid 30's, I was a scrawny, skinny dude - 6' 5" weighing only 162 pounds....

I used to tell myself I wished I was a little overweight rather than underweight. Felt like everyone stared at me. I could eat whatever I wanted and how much - I just could NOT gain a F*cking ounce. May sound nice to some but I hated it.

Then I decided one day (like you) that enough was enough. Started reading up on the problem and taking action. Started lifting. Eating differently (protein being the biggest change). I am still on my journey, but I am no longer 162lbs. Still trying to climb and almost at 220lbs now with a 4-ish 'pack'. I'm a hardgainer though so it has taken me a loooong a$$ time, lol.

As it is with building a business and success: It really does come down to persistence and never quitting. Basically all the Fastlane principles apply. Just replace "financial freedom" with "health/body freedom".

Even though we are coming from opposite ends of gaining vs losing weight, I still want to share some important advice that I think can help you.

Below are the vitamins I take daily..
MANY people, especially in the US are deficient in things like Magnesium and Zinc. And for men over age 40, things like Vitamin B5 and E's are also deficient. (And they will positively affect your Testosterone levels, which someone mentioned earlier will also affect your ability to lose fat and gain muscle). By eating a much healthier diet, you will get more of some of these with your daily intake. But it may not be sufficient, depending on your weight, your body's absorption ability, etc.

For those of you struggling with sugar cravings or cravings in general - vitamins and minerals will greatly help to curb those cravings. They help restore and maintain our physiological balance. And it's a cheap investment. Most of these you can get for a few bucks at Walmart. (But don't skimp on getting quality and natural Vitamin E vs the synthetic cheap kind).

Depending on your starting point - some vitamins/minerals will take time to "build up" in your system so allow 4-6 weeks. (Some however, like Magnesium you can notice more immediately). You may find that after a while - you no longer crave the sugars so much, and something you ate before (like a candy or soda) will now taste WAY too sweet for your tastebuds.

• Vitamin C, 500 mg
  • Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid), 500 mg
  • Vitamin B6 (P5P), 1.5 mg
  • Vitamin B12, 1000 mcg
  • Vitamin D3, 5000 IU
  • Vitamin E (Non-synthetic - all 4 tocotrienols and all 4 tocopherols), 50 mg
  • Magnesium Citrate, 1500 mg
  • Zinc, 50 mg
  • Folic Acid (Methyl Folate), 400 mcg

We don't "feel" the effects of all these vitamins, but our body does over time and you will *indirectly* feel the effects of them. B6/B12 for me in the morning however gives me focus for the day, plus Magnesium at morning and before bed gives me WAY better sleep.

I have never drank coffee and never will (I hate the taste, lol). But B6/B12 + lots of water does it for me. Better for you than caffeine anyway.

If anyone here is struggling with some hard times emotionally, depression, or similar - magnesium really is almost like a miracle mineral. Calms you and evens things out. And it's cheap AF!

Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@Vigilante still reading the thread, so not sure what you’re doing in the way of exercise, but there’s a really good gym close by that’s 24/7, veteran owned, never busy. And if you want some help motivating, I’m getting my a$$ back in shape too.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Fully expecting the scale in the morning first thing (when all my weight will be measured) to tip below 270. Ketosis has kicked in now and my body is burning stored fat, first on my liver and stomach. Tomorrow should see the first small milestone as I get to that 269.X on the scale. Next one after that will be 259.X probably 2-3 weeks from now before it slows down.

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
@Vigilante

It took me over a year and a half to loose almost 23kg, I'm lucky because I think I'm much younger (at 33) and with a past of constant training.

I will support every single post you will make into this journey because I'm almost through it, I'm in the second hardest part (after the beginning, the last kg's to shed)

My friend, be fierce and mentally prepare yourself because there will be threats in every corner

You will fail.... You won't see "results" after hard work...you will experience a change in hormons that might lead you who knows where.

But, Persistence will get you there, so Endure and embrace the future outcome.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Good for you @Vigilante !!! You can do it.

I have been doing a modified version of Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet. Modified because there are a lot of foods I can't eat. I have so far lost about 12 pounds in a few months. I think everyone needs to do what suits them, as long as it brings results. Like in everything, and in the fast lane, persistence and consistency are key. I think what I've done more than anything is just become really portion aware, and also used willpower to not eat junk. And there's junk in the house if your junk loving roommate buys it so will power is a huge thing. Have I eaten stuff I shouldn't? Yes, but I'm super aware, and able to turn off the chimpanzee brain before it's out of control.

Exercise is more of a problem than eating because I'm awaiting surgery and can't do anything weight bearing. I did just get the ok today to do recumbent bike riding, so that's what I'll be doing for the next few months. I won't be crushing it by climbing Kilimanjaro or anything.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Vig, this is great.

1. Where do you keep that much food for the month, did you end up buying a new fridge? - I assume it is a bunch of fridge-unfriendly boxes.

2. No doubt you will rock it because your discipline is legendary.

3. Did you suffer the keto flu? —my first time getting into ketosis was a bitch. I assume the large quantities of water help with this.

I remember I lost 22# in two months with keto+intermittent fasting so I know you will drop those first 20 pounds in no time flat.

Thanks for the updates.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Vig, this is great.

1. Where do you keep that much food for the month, did you end up buying a new fridge? - I assume it is a bunch of fridge-unfriendly boxes.

2. No doubt you will rock it because your discipline is legendary.

3. Did you suffer the keto flu? —my first time getting into ketosis was a bitch. I assume the large quantities of water help with this.

I remember I lost 22# in two months with keto+intermittent fasting so I know you will drop those first 20 pounds in no time flat.

Thanks for the updates.

I had a full size refrigerator freezer at my office sitting empty. Perfect.

IMG_20180517_133913.jpg
IMG_20180517_133849.jpg
IMG_20180517_100747.jpg

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Tomorrow should see the first small milestone as I get to that 269.X on the scale.

The milestones are so mentally important. After I hit under 220 for the first time in 5 years, I went to the closet and threw my fat clothes into a donation bag for Goodwill. I think that's when it really cemented in my mind that there's no turning back. On an unrelated note, this is what my 18 month old thinks of my progress as of this morning.

Me: "Daddy went down another belt loop, buddy"
Kid: (hits elephant noise on his zoo animal book)

Keep it up, dude. I abandoned the thread for a while when it turned into a debate, but felt guilty for not checking on you. Really looking forward to your progress. It's inspiring to see other people climbing the same path out of self-abuse.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The milestones are so mentally important. After I hit under 220 for the first time in 5 years, I went to the closet and threw my fat clothes into a donation bag for Goodwill. I think that's when it really cemented in my mind that there's no turning back. On an unrelated note, this is what my 18 month old thinks of my progress as of this morning.

Me: "Daddy went down another belt loop, buddy"
Kid: (hits elephant noise on his zoo animal book)

Keep it up, dude. I abandoned the thread for a while when it turned into a debate, but felt guilty for not checking on you. Really looking forward to your progress. It's inspiring to see other people climbing the same path out of self-abuse.

220 is a big deal. It will be for me. Congrats. Inspiring.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
I've lost 18.7 lbs during the last 35 days. My face looks considerably leaner, I had to laugh looking back at some older photos. I started with a 20% caloric deficit. I calculated that I would need 2000 calories per day. I set my macronutrient distribution at about 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. I don't like the keto diet, because low amounts of carbs make me uncomfortable. My main protein sources are all sorts of meat, sometimes fish and eggs. If the meat is very lean, I put more oil into the potatoes and vegetables. As for carbs I like potatoes, rice, couscous, quinoa and pasta. And for fat, I only need to look at how much is contained in the meat and maybe add more oil. I also eat a moderate amount of vegetables with my meals. It gets really easy to calculate this after some time. I now roughly know how much grams of each macronutrient is contained in my preferred foods, e.g. in 100g quinoa there are 70g carbs, so I can mix it up each day and meet my macro requirements. I switched to more wholesome foods, so the quantity increased a lot, and I couldn't even eat 2000 calories a day, so now I'm at 1500-1600 a day. I skip breakfast, drink some coffee, and eat lunch and dinner. Sometimes I let some room for 200-300 calories so I can eat a tasty snack in the evening, like a yoghurt, cottage cheese with some sugar, a fruit bowl like blueberries, rasperries or strawberries, or even a candy bar. I normally don't experience any hunger during the day. I actually planned on starting some strength training 3x per week to minimize muscles loss, but then I noticed that my posture got so bad, that I'll probably start doing the Egoscue Method first for a couple of months.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I've lost 18.7 lbs during the last 35 days. My face looks considerably leaner, I had to laugh looking back at some older photos. I started with a 20% caloric deficit. I calculated that I would need 2000 calories per day. I set my macronutrient distribution at about 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. I don't like the keto diet, because low amounts of carbs make me uncomfortable. My main protein sources are all sorts of meat, sometimes fish and eggs. If the meat is very lean, I put more oil into the potatoes and vegetables. As for carbs I like potatoes, rice, couscous, quinoa and pasta. And for fat, I only need to look at how much is contained in the meat and maybe add more oil. I also eat a moderate amount of vegetables with my meals. It gets really easy to calculate this after some time. I now roughly know how much grams of each macronutrient is contained in my preferred foods, e.g. in 100g quinoa there are 70g carbs, so I can mix it up each day and meet my macro requirements. I switched to more wholesome foods, so the quantity increased a lot, and I couldn't even eat 2000 calories a day, so now I'm at 1500-1600 a day. I skip breakfast, drink some coffee, and eat lunch and dinner. Sometimes I let some room for 200-300 calories so I can eat a tasty snack in the evening, like a yoghurt, cottage cheese with some sugar, a fruit bowl like blueberries, rasperries or strawberries, or even a candy bar. I normally don't experience any hunger during the day. I actually planned on starting some strength training 3x per week to minimize muscles loss, but then I noticed that my posture got so bad, that I'll probably start doing the Egoscue Method first for a couple of months.

Excellent.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'm glad this thread opened back up with out the stupid BS, these stories are great.

Pesh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Feb 9, 2018
That Place
Hey Vigilante, I don't know you, you do not know me as I am pretty new to this forum but I have my own experience to share, spend a few minutes to read it, I hope there will be at least something that might prove useful to you.

3 years ago after visiting my doctor he told me that while I am still considered "healthy" I am on the border for a lot of things (gout and diabetes were predominant). I was 30 years old back then, weighted 260 lbs (6'2 tall). I lost 65 lbs in 8 months. I went from 260 back to 195.

I decided to make the change because at that point I realized there are very important people in my life that depend on me. My parents needed my support (both personal and financial), my brother as well as he was struggling with many things in his life and most importantly - my daughter.

There is no greater motivation then realizing how many people rely on you and what might possibly happen to them without you in their life. It was one of those "Oh, shit!" moments that people have maybe like 3-4 times in their life. Ever since that moment I put myself in front of everything else. I know that if I am well, the people that I care about most will be well as well. I never lacked motivation and never had dedication problems after this moment. Maybe it will help you too in some hard moments as trust me they will come.

As to how I lost so much weight in such a short period - it was very simple, clean foods, plenty of water, no alcohol, calories deficit, sort of intermittent fasting and 90 minutes of walking with a backpack in which I had my laptop and some other stuff that I needed for work. Instead of driving I started walking to my office (45 min in each direction). Walking helps but having some weight on your back (some, not much) changes a lot, trust me.

You seem very dedicated and on point with your diet, don't worry that much if you end up binge eating some days, it happens, especially after couple of months. Most important of all, no need to keep things complicated. I did not work out the first 8 months as working out was making me very very hungry.

After I lost a the said 65 lbs, I started working out. Now 2 years and a half after I got to 195, I am still 195, but still working out and my body composition is much much better than the 195 before. Much more muscle, less fat (I saw my abs for the first time at 31 lol). I am never going back to my previous lifestyle. If you stick with your new habits and way of eating, once you start seeing the long term effect, there is no going back. And work on your progress gradually, you have your whole life in front of you and with your newly formed lifestyle you will live to 120 :p

Most of the people that wanted to change their eating/living/working out habits failed because they went all in at the start, said "F*ck it, too hard, you only get to live once, I dont have time to torture myself." and quit. The same people are still bitter sweet, telling how I am lucky for having "good genes" and other similar crap. I don't even bother to argue with them.

Take care and good luck! If there is anything else that I can help with let me know.

P.S. I consider vitamins to be very imporant, especially when on a calorie deficit! And yea, still walking to my office :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm glad this thread opened back up with out the stupid BS, these stories are great.

I love the stories. And I love hearing what works for people.

I don't mind the opinions and info exchange on what supposedly works and might not. It's all a part of learning and finding something that works for you.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Glad to see you're taking steps towards better health. Looking forward to your success!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.