• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! This is what 60 Pounds (27 KGS) Looks Like

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vigilante, May 16, 2018.

1. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    I was in the grocery store the other day, and snapped this photo. Each bag of flour weighs 5 pounds. Next time you are in the grocery store, pick one up. Feel how heavy that is. The bottom shelf of this photo represents 60 pounds.

[​IMG]

That's how much extra weight I am carrying around. Every day. Every time I get up from a couch. Every time I play with my kid. Every time I walk down the street. Imagine carrying the weight of 12 of those flour sacks with you every hour of the day, every day of the week, every week of the year.

I'm killing myself. What would it be like to unchain that weight? I have no idea. I have been fat for years.

It all changes now.

There was one time in my life where I reversed the curve. As you've read all of the threads recently here, weight management for most people is not rocket science. You burn more calories than you eat, you lose weight. The one time I did this right was when I was eliminating all of the garbage and for me, cutting out the carbs.

So I looked at Paleo (pretty rigid) and Keto (unsustainable). I settled on the South Beach Diet, because in my younger days, that is the health regimine that I did that melted off the fat and was sustainable for me for the long haul.

I cheated this time, because I can. I ordered a month's worth of customized food directly from the folks at www.southbeachdiet.com so that I could have a turnkey, forced fat reduction. And I can tell you that for 30 days, I won't deviate from it. They're sending me breakfast, lunch and dinner, a month's worth along with a few snacks inbetween as prescribed by them. I will add to it some non-starch vegetables, and that will be it, kids.

And I will share with you here the real numbers. I won't wear you out every single day, but will do a few checkins a week. If you're not interested, simply ignore the thread. However, I am posting it to keep it real, and to hopefully encourage other fatasses out there to take radical action to achieve radical results.

If you want to do it but don't have the up front dough to hire them to be your chef for a month, no worries. South Beach is a plan that simply shows you from what you would normally have available what to eat and not to eat. We all kind of know that anyway, but they systemize it. They make it simple. The first week is radical, similar in nature towards triggering it Ketosis although they call it something else. However, you don't need to buy the food plan. You can simply buy the latest edition of the book from Amazon and follow that. https://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-...31&sr=8-2&keywords=south+beach+diet+book+2018

I need a radical shakeup in my life, and @LightHouse gave me sh*t about not going all in on something so important.

Since I will adhere to the plan ALL IN with 100% discipline, you'll be able to see first hand if it works or not. You'll get the real numbers. But frankly, how could replacing chocolate donuts (@Chitown) with bell peppers NOT work? It will work. I'll be doing 30 minutes of exercise a day (up from zero) and eating what they think is the perfect low carb, balanced diet.

I'm going all in. Time to shake sh*t up. No big declaration without big action. I am expecting results. While this is not a 30 day plan (it's a forever plan) the thread will be alive for the next 30 days because I want you to see that you can do what ever you set your mind to.

Everyone's got issues. It is what you DO about those issues that defines your life. If health is a variable that to a certain degree I can influence for today, then I owe it to my family to make some radical changes.

The shipment of food arrives by Friday, but unlike a lot of people who make a "resolution" I'm not binging beforehand. I binged for decades. I am ready to rock and roll. Look for a photo from this weekend of what a 50# food delivery looks like.

::May 16, 2018 : 275 pounds.::
    IMG_20180516_084920_1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Roz, RayAndré, diegorueda and 94 others like this.
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    This is now sitting on my desk. I will see this 300x a day.

[​IMG]

3. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $37,613
    Ever had your test and estrogen levels checked?

Being overweight causes a rise in estrogen(s) and a lowering of T levels (causes increased aromatase, which is the process of testosterone converting to estrogen)

A low carb diet would naturally have more fats, which is good for overall health and satiety, but fats can also cause an increase in estrogen production.

Plus, 1 in 4 men over age 30 have clinically low T levels already. (and clinically low is a joke. "Low" starts at 300 ng/dl, which is stupid low. Under 500 ng/dl is a problem IMO)

Extra body fat + high fat diet + age (over 30) = low T and/or high E most of the time.

Low T or high estrogen(s) will cause your body to stay catabolic and make losing fat much more difficult. (along with a host of other symptoms)

I've seen a LOT of men IRL struggle with low T (or high E) when they shouldn't have to, and I hate to see that because it makes a huge difference in quality of life and staying thin.

Hope that helps.

4. Alex Nolte

Alex Nolte Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $403
    No excuses! Either now or never man!

Even though I've never been that overweight, I also struggled with binge eating so in that area I can defintely relate.
    I believe to have a rough idea of how hard it can be to change yourself / your life. Overcoming the whole consumerism principle outlined in MJ's books is another example for a tough change. -> The bad choice always feels better first (like buying something NOW vs saving the money or choosing the junkfood over the fruit as an example for the eating category) but all those mini choices result in the big bad outcome.

One important question as you seem to know about the basic principle of calories in vs calories out (
    ) would be will you track your macros for this 30 day period? Or have you even considered tracking macros generally for your everyday life? Cause I personally can highly recommend it. Combined with IIFYM it helped me to overcome a binge eating problem. I have also tried Keto, Low Carb, Vegan and all kinds of stuff but since I "discovered" IIFYM have successfully and happily stuck with that.

5. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    I did check that out here
    What is IIFYM - The OFFICIAL website for flexible dieting

but decided to roll with a strict adherence to the South Beach plan that I know my body responds to for now.

Thanks for your note! Agreed.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  6. Alex Nolte

Alex Nolte Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Should free testosterone should be checked as well? Cause I had my T levels checked a few months ago and they where at 768ng/dl but I do experience symptoms of low testosterone

MidwestLandlord and Vigilante like this.
  7. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Sure, you should stick to that for now, maybe consider the IIFYM approach at a point in time where you feel like you can't adhere to the south beach plan for any longer. I think you said that you want to make a change in your diet for the rest of your life and I think this is where IIFYM or a generally more flexible approach fits well. So cut down first and when you reached a point where your happy to maintain make everything easier and add some flexibility (if you like / or even crave)

Anyways, in german I would now say Viel Erfolg with the south beach plan :)

Vigilante likes this.
  8. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $37,613
    I don't wanna jack this thread to much.

But yes. (768 is a good number)

You should actually get 3 total reports on T levels.

Total
    Bioavailable T
    Free T

Low free T can cause low T symptoms, but so can high estradiol (estrogen)

ZF Lee, Eskil, AgainstAllOdds and 6 others like this.
  9. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Aight, thanks man!

I'll head to another doctor soon.

MidwestLandlord likes this.
  10. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    Now I am looking for my blood test results as I had a full blood exam this past fall.

Pretty sure the donuts and sedentary lifestyle trump the blood work though. When I get the Krispy Kreme glaze out of my blood stream, I have fighting chance at significant weight loss.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Everyman, Red, Eisenstein and 8 others like this.
  11. DavidK

DavidK Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $523
    I have been on Keto for about 3 months and don't see any sustainability problems once you get acclimated... Down about 20 pounds, 195 to 175, a heavier person would most likely lose more. Just speaking from experience, the best part is that I don't get hungry like when eating a carb focused diet. I just put some butter and coconut oil in coffee and that is all I have till the afternoon, then a meal and maybe a snake before bed. It is it also much harder to over indulge in low carb foods... most people are not going to eat 5 avocados in one sitting. Energy levels much more even throughout the day also.

Previously, I tried a low calorie diet and failed, I was exercising 1.5 hours a day and limiting calories, always felt hungry and didn't have much energy. That was unsustainable even though lost some weight but it came back once I started eating enough when I wasn't hungry all the time. On keto have only been exercising 30 min every other day...

Hope the diet works out, but if you are struggling take another look at keto :)

Neng Her, Everyman, Gary and 8 others like this.
  12. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    I also have come to the belief that nearly any eating plan works if you can sustain it. Weight watchers? Works. Keto? Definitely works. Paleo? Many fastlaners here have been doing Paleo for years now. Works.

What doesn't work is sitting around, eating garbage, not moving, and being amazed by other people's transformations.

I am pretty convinced as you get older your body will reach a state of atrophy and you'll accelerate getting old by being a lazy fatass.

This weight ain't gonna remove itself!

13. Alex Nolte

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Yeah that is absolutely true and definitely an individual thing. A big problem with a lot of these diets for me was the road capability. But thats just me, there are people who like taking there pre cooked meals to the restaurant.

Btw thanks for the rep reply! Really appreciate it, first time I received some. Hope I helped somehow!

14. Limitless4Life

Limitless4Life Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $988
    The flour is an eye opening way to think about it. A few lbs of ground beef will also do the trick!

Vigilante likes this.
  15. Jamie T

Jamie T >> Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $7,819
    @Vigilante

Thanks for sharing what you're working to improve in your life!

Not sure if you're able to get a treadmill desk for your office. I purchased about a month ago. It's a game changer. I walk/stand over 10 hours a day now. Fatigue is non-existent.

If you can make it happen, you'll see some very good results.

Here's what my setup looks like:

treadmilldesk1.jpg

*Disclaimer: your body will feel extremely sore over the first several days of use. Especially if you're not used to walking that much. haha

16. scott.legendre

scott.legendre Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $848
    You may want to take a before picture now, you'll appreciate it more later.

Some advice says not to weigh yourself every day, but for me that has always been a good motivator because it kept my purpose fresh on my mind.

I don't remember the name of the documentary/interview that interviewed several people over 90 and how they kept going. It had Jerry Seinfeld's dad and Stan Lee and a 100 year old lady who was still doing 5ks. The #1 takeaway was simply to get up and keep moving every day, even when you don't feel like it. Once you start moving, you'll "find" the motivation to move more.

I believe it was Scott Adams who had built himself a system of getting up, get dressed, and would go to the gym every single day no matter what. Only AFTER he walked in the gym door, if he still felt like leaving, would he finally justify that it was ok to rest that day. It rarely happened.

Looking forward to the progress!

CaptainAmerica, cmor16, Yoda and 4 others like this.
  17. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    How many miles in an average day

Jamie T likes this.
  18. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,640
    Go for it!

I agree with others that you should weigh yourself every day. But also, write it down somewhere(recommend this) and take pictures every few days or so.

Its a big kick in the a$$ to look at the before and after picture when you feel like giving up and "not seeing the results".

I don't know how "experienced" are you in the weight loss game but allow yourself a cheat meal here and there. From a couple of times, I've gone up and down with my weight, every time when I'm starting it's always "I'm never eating that fast food and those chocolates again". And then in a week id kill for some. So I just have one meal of trash, get it out of my system and I'm good for a couple of weeks.

19. Jamie T

Jamie T >> Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $7,819
    Right around 9-10 miles per day.

I walk at a pace of 1.2 - 1.5 mph. Nice leisurely stroll.

Keep in mind that when I take breaks, I'm still standing and moving around. I try to save any sitting for after the sun goes down, before bed. I only sit during the day if I absolutely have to (bathroom, driving, etc).

There are studies out there somewhere that link sitting for extended periods of time to weight gain and an entire list of health problems. I believe there are also studies showing the benefits of walking and continuous gentle movements throughout the day.

It never made sense to me to workout for 30-60 mins, then just sit around the other 23-23.5 hours of the day. Your body is meant to be in continuous movement.

The other thing that I noticed is that if the laws of physics are true:

- what's at rest, stays at rest
    - what's in motion, stays in motion

Then, I want to be continually moving since I'm part of the universe and work within the same laws. I can definitely say that my productivity has been insanely good since I added this to my lifestyle too.

Here's a pic from the past hour, after I stopped to grab a snack, almost 1.5 miles walked and I didn't even notice it haha. Getting work done and keeping my body healthy at the same time:

20180516_154842.jpg

20. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $10,688
    Good luck Vig! You're gonna feel way better in a month or so. It's all a momentum game. You'll be shocked at how soon you'll be physically unable to eat as much as you used to.

I'm down roughly 30 lbs. The other day I picked up a 30lb dumbbell and it hit me, I've been walking around with that thing strapped to the front of me 24 hrs a day for the last several years. No wonder I was so damn tired all the time.

21. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    This

22. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,161
    It is not ALL about calories. I wish people would stop talking ONLY about calories. Calories are just part of the equation of weight loss. You proved it yourself in your post since you are looking at the paleo, keto, and south beach diet. If it's really all about calories you would just stick to your same diet and eat a certain amount.

Weight loss and weight gain is about your hormone levels, the main one being insulin. The higher your insulin levels the fatter you are. Every time you eat you raise your insulin levels. Processed carbs raise insulin the most. Fat raises insulin the least. You can even eat 0 calories and still raise your insulin (think diet coke).

Your goal if you want to lose weight is to lower insulin levels by eating healthier and eating less frequently. Try out intermittent fasting, this keeps insulin levels low for a longer period of time.

Also you won't lose weight if you are always stressed out or sleep deprived. This raises cortisol levels which raises insulin.

Working out doesn't burn many calories. I think it takes something like 27 flights of stairs to burn off a half of an Oreo cookie for a man that weighs 220lbs. Working out does raise testosterone levels which in turn burns fat.

I'd also recommend taking a ton of vitamins for your health while you're eating less and so you lower your chance of developing an eating disorder while losing weight.

Also put in a cheat day or meal once a week. This screws up (confuses?) your hormones, preventing a plateau. It also keeps you sane, gives you something to look forward to, and makes you feel like sh*t so you want to get back on the diet.

Good luck.

Everyman, Gary, Eisenstein and 11 others like this.
  23. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,044
    Bad a$$ thread! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

I decided last 4th of July sitting out in the hot waiting to see some fireworks that everyone around me was a fat f*ck and I was headed there. I decided right there and then I wasn't going to sit all uncomfortable as sh*t, bloated and tired.

I've had my ups and downs but today I'm 30 pounds off of that mark and I dusted off the rowing machine 6 weeks ago. I'm in pretty good shape and feel great. Not that I can't do better because I still have 15 to lose before my BMI is in the "normal" range.

You're going to kill it bud!

24. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $183,532
    Proud of you and your post made me laugh as usual

25. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,662
    Admin Post
    Dietary change is tough. Real tough. I would put it up there as the hardest challenge I'd ever encountered in my life. Why? Because EVERYWHERE is an obstacle; a burger commercial, a fast-food joint, a great menu at the restaurant -- you literally cannot escape the encitement and encouragement for a poor diet.

Just know this... it does get easier and at some point, your cravings for whatever is putting your weight out-of-skew (sugar, fat, empty carbs, etc.) will subside.

Good luck my friend. Would love to see you transform into a lean, mean, fighting machine! ;)