• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

O/T: Health This is what 60 Pounds (27 KGS) Looks Like

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vigilante, May 16, 2018.

1. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,903
    I think most people lose the battle because they buy their regular food and tell themselves "I'l eat just a little bit", and that is when it's lost.

If you crave some sugar after a meal and there is nothing in the kitchen, you will get an apple. Chances are, the craving is going to pass and you will save yourself a lot of calories for the day.

If you buy that pound of ice cream, you will eat it, no matter how much you tell yourself you won't when putting it in the cart. Especially if you are just starting out.

That's why I think it always best to stick to the "don't go to the grocery store hungry"

2. LeoistheSun

LeoistheSun Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,492
    I did not read the whole thread, but if you cut gluten out of your diet, you will definitely loose weight.

Real Deal Denver and Vigilante like this.
  3. The EL Maven

The EL Maven No longer life's passenger Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $952
    I weigh myself every morning and write the number in the top right corner of TheFastlaneDaily. If you saw me today, you'd probably wonder why since my physique is pretty good. It's simple, you can't manage what you don't measure, besides a huge benefit is....

When I go off diet, I have a daily record of how it affected weight and how long it takes me to recover. On Mother's Day we hosted a party where people brought all sorts of food, I wasn't going to turn down those fresh donuts while clearly on a cheat day (don't cheat hard when you start, wait a while and get the habits down first). A few days later, and I'm back on track.

If you're doing something wrong, you'll know within a few days if you weigh every day, whereas if you measured once a week or longer, it could take a month or more to correct the problem.

Good post here. Watch some Gary Taubes lectures youtube if interested. I actually believe in the cheat, but pretty much only do it for family events or special occasions, which is usually a few days per month.
    There's a very good reason why this happens. Gluten is in wheat products, wheat products are usually carb heavy.

Vig, I love your contributions here, and that is why I'm posting. Six years ago, I was disappointed in my weight and was clinically overweight (for me that was a big deal). From then until now has been a process. First I cut sugar, then later I cut carbs, then I gained back weight because I made a mistake going high fat with starch, then I stabilized for a few years, and finally this year decided to stop feeling embarrassed when I take the family swimming.
    My steps were as follows
    1. Keto (but any restricted diet can work)
    2. Thermogenic freezing for a half hour per day for 6 weeks straight, 360deg mid section using chiropractic ice packs on belly, sides, and back secured via velcro waist straps.
    3. Strength training every other day
    4. First few weeks of this I was GAINING weight, so I began shortening my eating window
    5. After shortening eating window (not eating past 4pm for instance), I threw in "insane" durations like 22-24 hrs of fasting once a week or once every other week, and frequent 6hr eating windows.

Pounds melted. Now chiseled.

You can do it! Zero doubt about it.

4. KLaw

KLaw Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,367
    Absolutely love this. I never ever thought of applying this theory to us humans. Thank you. I've been thinking about this all day since you posted it. I look around at people around me. Family, friends and co-workers. It's a sound theory to apply to humans. Folks that are in motion stay in motion and they appear to be happy and healthy. The opposite appears true for others that sit around. Rep+

Jamie T likes this.
  5. Brindas Andrei

Brindas Andrei New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $186
    Hey @Vigilante, the flour example is an awesome eye opener. :D

I've also started losing weight a couple months back and I would like to share my experience and some insights. Hopefully all of you will find something helpful. In a month and a half I've lost 22 pounds (from 220 to 200). My ultimate goal is to reach the weight of 176 lbs (that would be 80 kg).

Diet:
    The diet I've been following is the "Brindas Diet". But wait...that's my name :D. Yes. I'm not following a certain diet, but counting my calories in order to achieve a calorie deficit of 500-800 kcal per day.
    Still, there are some main foods I eat regularly like, eggs, milk, yogurt, chicken breast, oats and fiber bread. Basically, I'm on a high protein, high carbs and low fat flexible diet.
    My flexible diet allows me to eat whatever I like (yes, sometimes I even indulge with KFC, or some shawarmas or kebabs) and still lose weight.
    Protein is essential in losing weight because it prevents muscle loss. None of us wants to lose weight, but we all want to lose body fat, so, eating protein will prevent the body "eating" your muscle for protein. A general rule is to eat one gram of protein for 1 lbs of lean body mass (that would be your total weight - body fat). I eat about 150-160 grams of protein per day. Also, eating enough protein helps with muscle regeneration after my workouts.
    Carbs. I've just stated that I also work out. I eat lots of carbs because they help me during my intense workouts. Carbs help replenish the glycogen stores in the muscle, thus giving me more strength at the gym. If you have problems with diabetes, please consider a low carbs, high fat diet.
    Fat is what I eat less. I try to stay away from processed foods as they have a lot of trans (bad) fat.
    A word about calories.
    You have to know how much calories your body burns throughout the day. We need to know 2 things: the BMR (basal metabolic rate) and the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).
    For finding out your BMR just google "bmr calculator". Let's take myself as a case study. 23 y/o male, 90 kg, 1.8 m -> 1915 kcal per day. That's how much calories I burn for just sleeping 24/7.
    Then, we go on to finding my TDEE. I do the following calculation:
    • For 1-3 hours of exercise per week - BMR * 1.2 (that would be 2298 kcal)
    • For 4-6 hours of exercise per week - BRM * 1.35 (that would be 2585 kalc - this is where I am at the moment)
    • For 6+ hours of exercise per week - BMR * 1.5 (that would be 2875 kcal)
    After figuring out how many calories I burn, I can calculate how many calories I should eat in order to stay in a calorie deficit. So, if my TDEE is 2500 kcal, I can eat 2000 kcal and will be in a deficit of 500 kcal. That's a total of 3500 kcal in a week, that is about 1 lbs of fat.
    A word of caution: you don't want to remain in a caloric deficit forever, that means death. After you've reached your goal weight you should begin eating more, up to your maintenance calories (2500 kcal for me). Even after you've reached your goal you should count calories; well, that's already became a habit for me and it will become for you too.
    Exercise:
    I do resistance training 5 times per week. Lifting weights has a twofold benefit: first you consume energy, second the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will burn helping you lose even more fat.
    As for the training philosophy I have, it is doing compound exercises with progressive overload, with 3-4 exercise types per workout. I haven't done too much cardio, but I will implement some HIIT exercises.

This post is too long already, so, if you want, I can write another going a little in depth with the exercise philosophy I follow.

Have a great day everyone,
    Andrew

6. njord

njord New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $85
    I would take it one step further make sure you NEVER buy products your NOT alowed to eat in your diet.
    This way you only have to make that one choice in the store instead of having to battle your self against all the temptation you have stored up in your kitchen.

I personly avoid all fastfood i make it a rule with very few exeptions so i dont have to think about it should i or shouldent i go to fastfood venue ZXY?

Vigilante likes this.
  7. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $7,931
    This. Reading Dr. Furhman is what made me realize that if you have a weight problem, you have an addiction problem. In other words, somewhere along the line, you routinely fail at impulse control and let the chimpanzee part of your brain call the shots.

Unfortunately, you're right, it's a little like being an alcoholic that has to spend all day in a bar. You can't avoid food, and you can't avoid friends and family at meal time.

Ex: the other day, when we're at the Cheesecake factory, and I'm ordering a salad with no dressing while wifey has pot roast and Dad has a burger, I had to subtly remind myself: My body doesn't want that burger, my f*cking addiction does, and I won't live my life as an addict. My body wants all the nutrients in a huge serving of veggies. I make the decisions, not the chimpanzee in my hindbrain.

It's all mental, dude. That's how I know you're gonna succeed.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $161,883
    My older kids are coming in town next weekend for Memorial Day. My wife asked me what I was going to eat? If I was going to delay the start of this until after Memorial Weekend, presumably so I could eat everything that is slowly killing me for one more weekend. Nope.

I am flipping the switch (and I would just as soon have my young adult kids see me doing something radical and winning the mental game anyway.)

I guarantee you they would rather have a healthy Dad than share a pumpkin pie with a fat one.

Another incentive? I will love to walk into next years meetup in Scottsdale transformed. Will love to show some of you that you were right, and others of you what is possible.

andviv, Scot, msufan and 19 others like this.
  9. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $7,931
    Here's how I handle special occasions of gluttony: I just tell people outright I'm on a vegan diet. It's TX, so I usually have to endure some light ribbing, but it reverses the social pressure. Instead of feeling pressured to crush a bunch or ribs and potato salad in front of people, I now feel the pressure to resist, because I've just told everyone I don't eat any of that.

Also, repeating something over and over to others has a way of making you believe it yourself. More and more often, I don't have to fight the impulse to order meaty greasy food. More and more I don't even see it on the menu. The chimpanzee is starting to be brainwashed into believing that he's simply not interested in that stuff.

10. The EL Maven

The EL Maven No longer life's passenger Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $952
    Oh man, you're going to crush it.

If by chance, down the road (weeks, months, or even years) you need to shift gears or whatever due to a plateau, I'd be happy to brainstorm ideas on PM, skype, or cell phone, whatever you need. I'm sure there are plenty of others around here that would do the same. YOU WILL SUCCEED.

I'm planning on being at the next summit, can't wait.

Real Deal Denver and Vigilante like this.
  11. Brjohn

Brjohn New Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $156
    This couldn't be truer, when I graduated high school I weighed 235 lbs and was on track to gain even more, now two years later I am down to 165. It all happened because of this phenomenon. I first gave up soda and changed nothing else. For a while, I dreaded it and craved soda, but after a month it rarely crossed my mind. Never drinking soda, with no exceptions was the way to go for me, because it became automatic. That was enough to stop me from having net weight gains to remaining at the same weight. From there I had to start making other changes.

For me, the best way was to make one change at a time and wait for my body and mind to accept that change for it to become my living norm. Then add another modification to my diet and wait until I am used to it. For somebody like myself who wouldn't be able to stick to massive dietary adjustments for longer than a week or two, this was the ideal way to commit to improving my health.

Thanks for posting this though, you've reminded me that I am not done improving my health, I still have changes to make.

12. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $161,883
    Part of this public expose is that it further minimizes failure as an option.

I've created my own reality TV drama and y'all are the audience. Inviting the scrutiny into something that a lot of people maybe Too Proud to share as part of my strategy to eliminate failure.

13. lewj24

lewj24 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,831
    I heard of one guy who lost weight would buy a bowling ball every time he lost 15lbs for a visual representation of what he was carrying on his body.

At 60lbs that's 4 bowling balls of extra weight you're carrying around constantly. Crazy to think about.

14. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,790
    I love that desk treadmill. I looked at getting one about a year ago, but for whatever reason I decided not to get it.

On the other hand, I did get a standing desk about 3 years ago. It was a cheap one from Ikea that has a crank arm on it to lower and raise it. It cost me about $250. I have had it in the sitting position for about 3 days out of those 3 years. It now feels weird to be sitting at any desk.

I am rooting for you Vig! Can't wait to see you again and see the progress first hand. Your children will thank you as you will now have WAY more prime years of life with them. That is the greatest gift you can give.

15. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $161,883
    Your body adapts to it, but over time it takes it's toll. Nice part for me is one of the first areas you see weight loss on me is my face, and then it directly attacks the overinflated innertube I carry around my midsection. That is exactly what the low carb targets first.

Real Deal Denver likes this.
  16. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke May be Vader some day later Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $36,390
    Lose "Weight" or Lose "Fat"

Benefits of Fasting

cmor16 and Vigilante like this.
  17. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,784
    I only marginally know you, but I reserve the right to mercilessly rip into you at the next summit if you fall off the wagon :)

Rooting for ya man, always love to see people make positive changes in their lives. Particularly with fitness. There are few areas in life where you can make massive progress so quickly (< 1 year) just by following a simple system.

Bellini, Vigilante and Get Right like this.
  18. Yoda

Yoda Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15
  19. Get Right

Get Right Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $24,654
  20. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $301,809
    Admin Post
    True, and it's the simple answer to fixing obesity and poor diet. They're addictions. Sugar lights up the brain more than cocaine. EVERYTHING has sugar in it. I come from experience in fighting this addiction, and I'm still fighting it!

Again, changing my diet was the HARDEST thing I've ever done in my life because of this fact. HARDER than starting a business, HARDER than moving across the country with nothing, HARDER than learning how to speak in front of a group despite introversion. HARDEST!

One really needs to do some mental gymnastics to get over the hurdles. And then one needs a really strong ANCHOR.

Potential Anchor: How about if you don't get below "X" weight, you have to start your presentation with your shirt off?

Works fabulously except for the infamous catch question that undoubtedly will come later, "How do you get your protein?" LOL.

21. Caroline888

Caroline888 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $165
    I love it Vigilante! So proud of You!
    From myself, I can recommend You the 5 Tibetan Rites - they keep me in a pretty good shape.

TinyOldLady and Vigilante like this.
  22. G-Man

Rep Bank:
    $7,931
    It's unbelievable how obsessed fat sedentary Americans are with protein. If you didn't know any better, you'd think you needed a bunch of protein just to WATCH sports. You just don't respond. People will argue even if you're standing there 20 lbs thinner than the last time you saw them, and they're out of breath from walking to the fridge.

23. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $63,962
    Good luck!

I'm sure you'll absolutely kill it.

Your attitude is basically the same as mine - whatever you can sustain in a positive direction is the best choice you can make regardless of whatever else is out there.

I know you'll rock this :)

Scot, Real Deal Denver and Vigilante like this.
  24. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $145,473
    You make it through that and you are golden. It's the first few weeks where everything looks good and after a while you don't even miss it.

25. UnrealCreative

UnrealCreative Come to Mah Seminah Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,133
    It probably goes without saying, but don't forget to take those "Day 1" photos.

In a few months when you want to see how far you've really come, you'll regret not taking them.

GPM and Vigilante like this.