The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Careful! Are you solving a real problem or just something that looks like a problem.

Idea threads

BIYMS97

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 23, 2019
Germany
First, I want to thank @Envision for his great thread "Building a Billion Dollar Enterprise". It's full of nuggets and I can recommend all newcomers to read it.
One of his pieces of advice that are actionable for everyone was to use platforms such as MeetUp to get in touch with like-minded people.
I followed his advice and have been joining a couple of events already in which I learned new ideas and had interesting conversations.

Yesterday I was attending an event with Johnny Quach CPO/CMO @Hostelworld, talking about the most important step at the beginning of building a business.

His mantra is to obsess over the problem and neglect all other aspects when starting from scratch.
Since he brought up interesting ideas, I wanted to share the most relevant interesting one here.
The story of Clay Christensen is an excellent example of what direction Quach was pointing with his talk.

A company wants to improve sales of milkshakes. They do what we all do—they ask customers about the aspects of the milkshake.
  • Should it be sweeter?
  • Should it come in more flavors?
  • Do you want it in larger sizes?
Only after noticing that 40% of the milkshake orders are taken out of the restaurant do new questions appear—why? who is doing this? to what end? That's when they find out the “job” that the shake is doing.
It's breakfast for commuters that have long drives, already are dressed for work, can't get crumbs on their clothes, and need the sugar pickup (plus something to do on the drive).
Fast forward, focusing on the problem that appears as a problem at first glance won’t drive sales in many circumstances. The key is discovering the real job, the shake is solving (Keeping customers busy while driving) that will give trajectory to sales.
In their situation making the shake thicker and thus last an entire commute was the solution.

Another example is Tinder:
Tinder isn’t so successful by being better in bringing people together than other dating apps but being the best among them in providing a platform that users want to use when feeling bored by getting excited about the “Power or Expectations” to date someone by swiping through the images. The dates themselves are secondary here.

My Main Takeaway:
Don’t rush through the problem identification phase in the beginning when you think that you discovered a problem otherwise in many cases you’re tapping in the dark and wasting time on solving something that isn’t a real problem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.