The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The [SCRIPTED] Vault (Dogmatic Social Engineering)

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
In light of @MJ DeMarco 's new book, I figured it might be somewhat enlightening to see the SCRIPTED OS in action. Hopefully those of you who read the book don't take it at face value, but apply it to your surroundings. Get to know the world around you. Understand it. Beat the system through calculated bets.

Now, rather than have a lengthy discussion on each item shared by others, I thought it'd be a cool idea for us to simply leave behind pieces to read, videos to watch, etc. and accumulate a vault of where, how and what the SCRIPT is in the most real-to-life ways.

By leaving out the discussion portion, but adding resources to the vault, we can let each person learn and understand on their own terms.

My only regret in starting this thread may be how fast it grows, because we're so surrounded.

See the world around you, objectively, and decide to be vigilant, disciplined, and autonomous.
I'll start: Too poor to retire and too young to die

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
oh come on i didn't read the book yet!
that first article sad af though... but what did the chick do the first 55 years before being so desperate for money... ????

this brings up a persistent question i have regarding young people.
why do people insist on ignoring their lack of security?
if ur 1st generation immigrant, if u have no family connection with private property, no backup living situation, etc etc
then your work is cut out for you! how can you party it up when ur 2 paychecks from broke? an accident from broke? an economic downturn from broke?
its illogical!? why are people so damn illogical? ur basically in a heartless land with no parcel of ground to call ur own and u go party it up. how!?

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
that first article sad af though... but what did the chick do the first 55 years before being so desperate for money... ????
The answer is right there in the article:
"having never done much long-term financial planning"
"in 2008, as the U.S. economy spasmed, she lost her home" (aka bad debt)
"She owes $50,000 on her credit cards."

Like you @luniac, I don't understand why people do this to themselves.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Wouldn't a collection of real life script-bucking be more productive? The ways to fail are unlimited, the ways to succeed are few.

The idea is learning what it is, first, hence the...

enlightening to see the SCRIPTED OS in action

How can you fight the dark side if you can't recognize the dark side?

Why would @MJ DeMarco commit the first few sections to recognition if it was non-important?

A child identifies his colors by seeing them over and over. Only then does he choose a favorite color.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
The Recession Hurt Americans' Retirement Accounts More Than Anybody Knew

I thought this article was interesting because not only does it point out how following the script can lead to disaster (the 2008 recession), it briefly unveils the lies (buy more stocks!), but then defends the script by promoting a government required employer sponsored retirement fund with guaranteed returns (as if that's a thing)

And at 3% returns!!! (don't spend it all in one place)

The script DOES NOT WORK, so let's get other people to pay for it? That's just more of the same script!

(pointing out the script, not the politics, so no political crap please)

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
upload_2017-5-9_15-28-15-png.14791

That book title though: When I'm SIXTY FOUR...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
does the author knowingly lead the sheep astray or does she think sheep will be sheep and is genuinely trying to help them within their slowlane bubble?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
does the author knowingly lead the sheep astray or does she think sheep will be sheep and is genuinely trying to help them within their slowlane bubble?

You can not lead people astray if they have always been on the same path.

The entrepreneurs. The creators. The leaders. We are the ones that have been led astray.

I prefer the challenge, and reward, of taking the road less taken.

Other people don't and that's fine. We need employees.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
You can not lead people astray if they have always been on the same path.

The entrepreneurs. The creators. The leaders. We are the ones that have been led astray.

I prefer the challenge, and reward, of taking the road less taken.

Other people don't and that's fine. We need employees.

good point.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
College Degree = $10hr job!

That's complete & utter bullshit!

Mine was worth $12/hr.

In 2000.

*sigh

Unfortunately, I feel like this isn't new news... just more people realize it now. I remember feeling so betrayed, lied to.... like I was slapped in the face in trying to reach for everything I was promised... it's part of what spurned my entrepreneurial endeavors. I just wasn't having this $12/hr bullshit. The game wasn't going to change for me so I had to change the way I played.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
minimum wage in new york is 11 an hour now.
if people weren't so materialistic, 1 roomate + rent controlled apartment is great.
I'm 90% sure gettin fired next month from my office job(disagreement over my intrinsic value proposition)
so i lose my 16 dollas an hour... big whoop lol im a minimalist :) its more blessing than a curse.
Ill get a nice labor job picking things up and put them down, gettin paid to work out and exercise! vs sitting in a F*ckin chair 8 hours a day.
ill come home and make apps on the computer, go to bed, rinse repeat until success lol

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
The answer is right there in the article:
"having never done much long-term financial planning"
"in 2008, as the U.S. economy spasmed, she lost her home" (aka bad debt)
"She owes $50,000 on her credit cards."

Like you @luniac, I don't understand why people do this to themselves.

What blows my mind is how FAST someone can acquire a lifetime of debt they will never be able to get out of

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Slowlane Pension Crisis/The Pension Gap
How a pension deal went wrong and cost California taxpayers billions

Highlights - In California the difference of what has been set aside for pensions and what they will eventually owe is $241BILLION!
Even with a market rebound pension funds have not caught up
The light on the end of the tunnel is a fast moving train not the end of the tunnel - bottom line if you are thinking your 30yrs hard work for the State of California will allow you to retire with lifetime benefits think again!
Sidenote: I know a nurse who retired from LA county. They offered her 9,500 per month for life or 1.2 million cash. I strongly advised her I would take the cash. She took the monthly benefits :(

Last edited:

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah

The calculator on this page maxes at $2M and you can't "retire" before 67.
max.PNG

Should be a fun 11.8 years..........

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Is My Car An Asset Or A Liability?

Your car is an asset. Evidence: It generates no income and costs money to operate.

Thought of this mythology yesterday after finding out the Camry I paid $4k for 2 years ago needs a $5k engine replacement. :thumbsup:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Slowlane Pension Crisis/The Pension Gap

Highlights - In California the difference of what has been set aside for pensions and what they will eventually owe is $241BILLION!
Even with a market rebound pension funds have not caught up
The light on the end of the tunnel is a fast moving train not the end of the tunnel - bottom line if you are thinking your 30yrs hard work for the State of California will allow you to retire with lifetime benefits think again!
Sidenote: I know a nurse who retired from LA county. They offered her 9,500 per month for life or 1.2 million cash. I strongly advised her I would take the cash. She took the monthly benefits :(

A while ago here in the UK, there was a lot of noise about mandatory pensions for employees.

Sheep response: "Lord Government is looking out for me and saving me from those greedy capitalists!"

My response: Hmm. Genius Ponzi scheme - siphon off everyone's savings into a convenient piggy bank to be raided, Cyprus style, next time the overlords run out of other people's money. And have them worship you for it.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Is My Car An Asset Or A Liability?

Your car is an asset. Evidence: It generates no income and costs money to operate.

Thought of this mythology yesterday after finding out the Camry I paid $4k for 2 years ago needs a $5k engine replacement. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hundred--

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
standing.png
All Unemployment is Voluntary

How Business Happens: All Unemployment is Voluntary

Highlights: All those not otherwise capable (illness, physical, mental, etc.) of working are voluntarily accepting unemployment.
While many are of the "scripted" mindset there are many unfilled jobs available.
The author (the late John Spiers) notes he see's BMW's and MB's at the welfare office.
In a free market or anarchy, business's thrive - especially small niche business's that solve customers needs
Don't stand in line for unemployment, job fair, etc.
There is an alternative - Start your own business! (be "unscripted ")
Hire the folks standing in line don't be in that line!
Start your own business NOW!

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Scripted Jobs most susceptible to automation

The Parts of America Most Susceptible to Automation

Highlights:
Most think the hardest area/jobs hit with automation will be the Rust Belt and manufacturing - Not so!
Much of the manufacturing is already automated
Areas of high concentration of food preparation, office or administrative support and/or sales will be most effected by automation
Las Vegas, Riverside-San Bernardino, El Paso, Orlando and Louisville will be hardest hit
More than 55% of jobs will be lost to automation in those industries areas

Note: follow the unscripted path and avoid becoming obsolete to a machine!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
"Garland Greene: Now you're talking semantics. What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years... at the end of which they tell you to piss off? Ending up in some retirement village... hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time. Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

What if I told you that was the best case scenario for your scripted path? What if I told you that you could end up like the woman in that article? What if I told you that everything you've been fed you entire life is bullshit to keep you marching straight ahead to your doom, lining the pockets of the fat cats who set up the system in the first place?

What if I told you there was a better way?

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Girl I was hanging out with last night, we've been seeing each other for about 8 months.

"I'm getting a $5,000 scholarship to do x and y... I was thinking about investing $1,000 of it in the stock market"

Then a 10 minute spiel about a 401k, etc etc.

"I mean we're going to be automatically working until we're 70 so you might as well have as much fun as possible while you can. No point in working too hard"

And on trying to explain the concept of "F*ck you" money... just couldn't get it through to her. "Well even if you're retired at 30, you'll just die early because your brain won't be active because you won't be working." or "Well you can't just do nothing all day" blah blah blah.

The funny thing is she goes to what is probably the #1 school for entrepreneurship in the country. Her dad is boss of a few companies. "But he still has to take calls on vacation.. for example last time we went on vacation he was taking calls for the first two days."

I'd rather be working remotely while on vacation with the family, even if I had to do a 12 hour day or two during part of the vacation, because you still have that freedom. Apparently that couldn't click with her, as if the alternative of working in a cubicle for 50 weeks and having 2 weeks paid vacation is any better.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I'd rather be working remotely while on vacation with the family, even if I had to do a 12 hour day or two during part of the vacation, because you still have that freedom.

This is slightly different, because I think you need to consider her relationship with her Dad. She may look at it like she's waited all this time to go on vacation with him and he's not even 'there' the first two days.

Sometimes it's about the quality of time, not necessarily where it takes place.

Autonomy, my friends.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I know this is a personal anecdote and not an article, but I feel it's in the spirit of the thread.

At my cigar club last night, just trying to unwind while looking over a fileshare, and this 27 year old accountant who overshares about his financial situation (proud of his slowlane success) corners me to talk about buying a house:

Him: We're going to buy a house, and I'm trying to explain to my wife that having a mortgage is actually better than paying rent.
Me: Sure
Him: In (Insert city) you can easily find houses for under 300k, and she's a software engineer, and in a couple years I oughtta be able to get a senior staff accountant position, and we already make 6 figures between us, and I have a 770 credit score blah, blah, blah
Me: Well if you're taking home 6 figures and buy something less than 300k, you should be just fine (stand up about to pretend to go take a piss so I can walk away. This dude is such a drag. Seriously, who gave this man a locker?)
Him: Yeah, It should only take us another 6 months to put together the 10% down payment

This dude that has a six figure income and no children, apparently needs a year or more to put together 30k, and is sitting there bragging about his credit score. Bragging about your ability to borrow while having no cash. If that isn't the script I don't know what is.

Scariest detail: Not that long ago I thought exactly like this guy.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Ford to Cut 10% of Global Workers

The cuts are said to largely target salaried employees. It’s unclear if hourly factory workers are included, the Journal said.
Followed up by:

"Look, we're as frustrated as you are by the stock price," Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford said.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.