• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum will be undergoing some maintenance on Saturday Jan 19th and may not look normal. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last for only for up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

3. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

EXECUTION Starting Local Lead Gen Business

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Demian, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Demian

Demian Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Update 5:

-Called the 59 workshops. These were the results:

11 are not working anymore. Nothing I can do there.

23 did not pick up the phone. Perhaps they closed early. Will call them again tomorrow, this time in the morning instead of the afternoon.

6 were not interested. Some did not want to get involved with the mysterious world of the Internet. Others were about to retire and did not care about getting new clients.

9 were either busy or closing and did not have time to talk. All of them told me to call them first thing in the morning tomorrow. I´ve got something to work with there.

1 was indecisive. But I´m pretty confident I will be able to get him on board.

9 were interested. 2 of these were thrilled with the offer and wanted to start right away, so I sent about 25 leads to each of them by email. The remaining 7 told me to call them tomorrow so I could expand on my offer. They are not on board yet, so I guess I will have to convince them.

Now I will try to summarize what I learnt today.

The hardest part is the beginning.
    Before the first call, I was nervous. After the 20th I didn´t want to stop.

Keep going.
    Like I said above, the beginning was tough. But not because of how nervous I was, but because people didn´t even pick up the phone. I only heard a human voice after the tenth call. I will admit I was discouraged when I noticed no one was answering. But suddenly someone did. And then the ten next people did. And it only got easier after that. Persistency pays off.

People want to help.
    I did not expect this, but, in most of the calls, after I told the mechanics what I did and how I wanted to help them, they replied with sheer niceness (not sure if that´s a word). Forgetting about whether they wanted the leads or not, they asked more questions about what I was doing, gave me tips on how to proceed from there, showed me some insider tricks to their craft and even told me how great my idea was. Most of them are willing to help and just provide me with any value they can. Overall, I received nothing but support from their part.

Be polite.
    I can´t stress enough how important this was. In every call, I made sure I was talking in a joyful tone and always trying to get them to be comfortable with me. I never introduced myself as trying to sell something or put them in a position of pressure to decide whether they wanted the service or not. After the initial nervousness faded I dismissed the term cold-calling. I even forgot that I was offering a service. I tried to shift whatever pitch they thought was being thrown at them into a friendly chat.

I was not talking to potential buyers, I was talking to people.
    This is strictly related to the point above. It was difficult to understand at the beginning, but when I changed my focus from offering them something to genuinely caring about them, everything went up-hill. Not only I enjoyed the calls more, but the mechanics´ responses were better.

There are probably more things I learnt from the calls. But these are the ones on my mind right now. I will edit this post if something else pops up.
    Anyways, I hope someone can take something from my experience. I sure as hell did.

-I finished and launched the campaign a few hours ago. It still has not gathered any data, so nothing else to say here. My ad appears on the top of the first page when I search my broad search terms, I assume that's a good thing.
    -I tweaked the LP a bit. Still not how I want it to look, but I can keep modifying it as days pass. The only thing I care about now is that it is up and functional.

Actions for tomorrow:

-Keep calling mechanics. I will prioritize the ones that showed interest and asked for more details, then I will call the ones that did not have time to talk and finally call the ones that didn´t pick up.
    -I´m not so sure what comes next. I guess I´ll have to figure it out.

I have a question regarding the leads I already sent. This is mostly speculation, but something that has been worrying me is the fact that I don´t know how "qualified" the leads I sent are. If the mechanics can´t get any new clients from the free service I´m providing, why will they want to pay for it? I know it´s not my problem whether they convert or not, but still, perhaps they see no benefit in it. (And yes, @Andy Black , I know I´m overthinking, but hey, at least I´m compensating it with my fair share of action-taking).

2. Vinchedda

Vinchedda New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Google has courses through Google Academy that gives you the run down on google ads, you can receive a certification after completed, and its free.

3. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Thanks for the tip. Will look into it.

4. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Update 6:

This will be a short update. Not much happened today.

-I called the 7 workshops that had showed interest yesterday. Two changed their minds and the other five did not pick up the phone.
    Then I called the ones that had been busy. 3 were out. Another went on a trip. The other five did not pick up the phone.
    I could somewhat convince the guy that was indecisive. He didn´t want the leads yet, but asked for a more formal proposal. I wrote it and sent it to him via email
    The 23 remaining ones did not pick up today either. I´m not sure if I should keep trying with those.
    -I did not touch the LP. I think this was a good idea, as it allowed me to spend more time on the phone.

I wanted to add that the campaign got 195 impressions and five clicks. But the page had some issued I didn´t notice due to my rush to have it online, so the ones that clicked came upon an error message. It sucks, but it is fixed now.

Will update again tomorrow.

Gutzofter likes this.
  5. Mckenzie

Mckenzie Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $205
    Thanks Demian. I think it'll work out well for you! I myself actually looked for a mechanic to service my new car few days ago. I googled it..."BMW car service near me" and this website: www.autoguru.com.au (Australia) popped up right in front page....So, I entered my contact details....Sure enough, I received an email and a phone call few minutes later, asking me if I want to book in for a service!....

All the best to you Demian. You really inspired me for taking real actions...
    cheers.

Demian and Andy Black like this.
  6. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof Seasoned Action-Faker Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,973
    Wowza.

Just make sure you're not doing it for the sake of creating "content".

Remember, at the end of the day, business owners just want more customers/sales.

Andy Black likes this.
  7. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $220
    So, what's up ? Your thread is helping, thank you.

8. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Sorry for not posting these last few days, but I had to take care of some stuff unrelated to this project.
    Anyways, I´ve spent a lot of time on the phone calling mechanics.
    Most of them raised a common concern, and I thought it would be a good idea to bring it up here.
    Basically they told me they didn´t want to be the ones calling the leads, and they´d prefer that the leads called them. Apparently they work a lot and don´t have time to call some people to see if they´re interested. Some of them suggested that I should build a website with all of their contact information on it. And clients could pick the mechanic themselves and give them a call (something like a directory?). This would definitely take longer to build. It definitely is a good way of expanding, but I don´t think it is a great way to start out.

Mechanics want clients calling them, so perhaps I should stick to one client now and then expand to other cities? I would put this mechanic´s number in the landing page and calls would go directly to him. Right now I´ve got almost ten mechanics that have agreed to go through a free trial of the service. They are all in the same city. Should I let 9 go and stick to 1?

Anyways, not much of an update, but rather a way of letting you guys know what problems I come across. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Kalps likes this.
  9. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,942
    Get a lead for a mechanic in the city where you have 10 mechanics. Mail them all and say first come first served (but politer than that). You want to give it to the guy who’s going to respond the quickest.

Maybe it’s always the same guy that responds the quickest?

I think this was MJ’s strategy, where the first to buy the lead got the full contact details. I’ve not tried this yet, to date preferring to signup one client per location.

Isn’t it interesting how many consumers want to speak to the local service business, and how many local service businesses want phone calls? And all those tech startups like Thumbtack push the form fill...

Gutzofter likes this.
  10. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof Seasoned Action-Faker Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,973
    I agree with Andy. One client per location.

Here's how I am going to set up my lead gen operation:
    1. Customer searches "carpet cleaning austin tx"
    2. My ad says "Looking For Carpet Cleaning In Austin TX?"
    3. They click and are directed to my landing page which says the same + service info
    4. CTA is a call-tracking phone number (think CallRail). They can call straight from mobile.
    5. They call and are seamlessly forwarded to the clients phone number
    Both the customer and the client is happy, and I own the marketing channel.

The beauty of this system is I can launch it in any location and plug and play clients into it should one choose to cancel or I sign a new one up.......steps 1-4 stay the same no matter who the client is.

Kalps and Andy Black like this.
  11. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Both of these answers gave me everything I needed to keep going. Will sleep on them and decide on a course of action in the morning. Thanks for the feedback. It´s been more valuable than you know.

Andy Black likes this.
  12. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    I guess it´s all about urgency. People want their car fixed today. And they want to know the mechanic is able to get it fixed. Phone calls tend to be faster and more effective. Thinking from the consumer perspective, I wouldn´t want to send an email hoping someone will answer it days from now (if I get an answer at all).

Andy Black likes this.
  13. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Something just occurred to me. If you take this approach, you would need different campaigns and different landing pages for each city you decide to start working in. And all this would be for just one client. Correct me if I´m wrong, but building the website containing the contact info of mechanics (or carpet cleaners in your case) of differents cities and letting the clients choose depending on where they live would be more scalable and easier to automate.

PizzaOnTheRoof likes this.
  14. PizzaOnTheRoof

Rep Bank:
    $2,973
    That’s a very good point. Something I hadn’t thought of...

Were you thinking of a list like this?

1st Location: (555) 555-5555
    2nd Location: (555) 555-5555
    3rd Location: (555) 555-5555

Or separate pages?

Either way, you could easily scale this and it would look like a real carpet cleaning brand from the outside. Hmm...

One issue is the domain name. Would austincarpetcleaners.com be more relevant to leads than just carpetcleaners.com?

Only way to find out is to test I guess...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 1:24 AM
    Kalps and Demian like this.
  15. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Update 8:

Just a short update to get my thoughts together.
    Right now I´ve got my own phone number on the landing page. As I haven´t closed any paid clients yet, I thought I could answer the phone myself and direct the lead to a mechanic that has agreed to a free trial. Yesterday I got the first lead. It was by a form, which I receive in my email. I forwarded the email to one of the mechanics but he said he couldn´t get the job done because it wasn´t exactly his area of expertise. So I went to sleep thinking of a way to figure this out.

Today I woke up and spent the whole morning (about five hours) calling more mechanics. Except that this time I didn´t offer anything. I decided to learn more about the craft I was trying to help. Surprisingly, by talking to them (and without intending to) I got a few others to agree on the free trial. Right now I got a list of more than 15 mechanics. That´s a great thing.

As I said, by talking to them I was exposed to the fact that not all mechanics do the same work. Some specialize in fixing A/Cs, others on the electric stuff. Most of them cover general aspects, but some don´t. So I asked them what they specialized in. I have most of them sorted out, but I´m still missing some.

Anyways, what I´m trying to say is that today I got the first lead by phone call. I asked the man what the troubles were and immediately realized it was an electric problem. So I grabbed the list of mechanics and found one that specialized in electric problems. I gave the man the number of the mechanic and told him to call me back if he needed anything else.
    This was some minutes ago, so in a couple of hours I will call both the man and the mechanic to see how everything went.

Going back to the questions I asked yesterday about what route to take, I wanted to summarize what I decided. Car problems can come from a wide range of sources. That allows me to have more than one client per location, because like I said above mechanics tend to specialize in different areas and they won´t be able to fix every problem that people might face.

So I will sign different (specialized) mechanics in the same city, and, depending on the customer´s problem I will direct the call to one or the other.

I haven´t figured out how to erase myself from the equation yet, so I will have to answer the phone myself for the time being.
    I could hire someone or even outsource a website like I mentioned yesterday, but I have to admit that right now I want to talk to people.

@Andy Black any tips about optimizing (adjusting) Google Ads campaigns?

That´s it for now. I will probably post again at night.

Edit: I said short update in the beginning, lol.

Andy Black likes this.
  16. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,942
    I like talking to people. You can’t outsource passion and insight.

High level Google Ads tips:
    1. Go granular.
    2. Give people what they’re searching for.

Demian likes this.
  17. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Update 9:

-Called both the man that wanted his car fixed and the mechanic that I referred him to. They couldn´t come to an agreement. Apparently the issue was a bit more complex than the mechanic could handle. Given that this is the only mechanic specializing in electrical problems that has agreed to a free trial, I found myself with the person needing help and no way to give it to him. So that was rough. The only other mechanic that could take care of this in the entire city refused to accept any more clients because he said he was filled with work. I´m kinda angry: this man was the first person I could help and I failed to do it. Not sure what I could do if a case like this one presents again. I´ll have to think about it.
    -I called some of the mechanics that had agreed to start a free trial and suddenly they changed their minds. I guess it happens.
    -Not related to the other points, but I noticed my ads were showing for search terms related to other cities and other type of work. Tomorrow I will fix the campaign, retarget and make sure my ad shows for those that are looking for me.
    -Eventhough some potential clients bailed, I´ve still got many to work with. I´ll make sure I present a more structured proposal tomorrow. I want to talk to them and specify the terms of our "agreement" (duration of the free trial, what they can expect, etc).
    -I got another person interested in getting his car fixed. He needs the mechanic to go to his house, but today´s rain made it impossible. I will make sure a mechanic shows up at this man´s house tomorrow or on Thursday.

I can´t think of anything else right now.

Actions for tomorrow:

-Call the 10+ list of mechanics that have agreed to a free trial get at least 5 to accept the more formal offer.
    -Get a mechanic to the man´s house (no matter what).
    -Fix the Google Ads campaign. Make sure that it appears where I want it to appear. And that it doesn´t appear where I don´t want it to appear.

EDIT: I don´t know if I should hit clients with the "serious" offer yet. After all, I´ve only generated two leads. Perhaps I should focus on generating leads first...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM
  18. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $170,942
    Keep generating leads. Keep talking to people. Keep learning. Don’t get angry. Be a concierge “I’ll Google it for you” service.

“Sales is a screening process” ... you’re finding the mechanics who want your service.

Demian likes this.
  19. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    Update 10:

Today life got in the way. I don´t want to fill this thread with personal details, so it will have to suffice to say that I couldn´t even find 30 minutes to sit down at my desk and work. Here´s what I managed (and did not manage) to do today:

-I did not even look at my Google Ads campaigns.
    -I called about three new mechanics and got 1 of them interested. He asked me to schedule a call on Saturday so I can tell him in detail how I can help him.
    -I found a mechanic for the man I talked about yesterday. When I called to give him the good news he did not pick up the phone. Called a couple of other times and got no answer. Just some minutes ago I called him again and this time he picked up. I told I had someone that was willing to fix his car, but he said he would think about it and call me tomorrow. If he doesn´t I think I will give him a call, but I´m not sure if I should "chase" a lead this much.
    -Called the 10+ mechanics who were already interested and told them about the serious proposal. Most of them did not answer. Funnily enough, the 5 that did answer asked me to send them the proposal via email. So I sent it to them. I guess I accomplished my objective of presenting the serious offer to at least five mechanics. I´m still waiting for their responses, but hey, at least I did my part.

That´s it for today. Despite the little amount of time I dedicated to this project today, I feel I could make some progress.

Actions for tomorrow:

-Google ads campaign. Trying new things out, adjusting what doesn´t work, and overall, keep learning.
    -Call the lead to see if he is interested in the mechanic I mentioned or not.
    -I won´t focus too much on calling tomorrow. Mainly because I´ve been calling most of them for three days straight and I want to avoid them getting sick of me. Perhaps will get back to it on Friday or even Monday when some of them return from their holidays.

Andy Black likes this.
  20. KeepGoin

KeepGoin Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $428
    It seems like there are three main ways lead gen companies make money
    1. Charge per lead
    2. Have the service productized(499 for x package 799 for y service 999 for z)
    3. I’ll run AdWords to this landing page for you and charge you x for setup

Which model do you all think has the most promise? I’ve been doing #3 and it’s not easy but I imagine #2 would be much more difficult.

Currently just cold calling

21. Demian

Rep Bank:
    $160
    I actually haven´t heard about #2. Does the price increase as the number of leads you offer increases?
    I don´t remember which one it was, but I read on a thread here that a guy charges his clients a monthly flat fee with a minimum amount of leads required per month. You could do that. Or just the flat fee. I´ve seen many people here are doing that.

Anyways, I´d suggest you asked someone that has more experience and has already made it work. I haven´t made any sales (yet), so I´m not the guy to ask.

Hope this helps.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.