What's new

Splitting Startup Equity

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

jatx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
15
Location
Texas
Rep Bank
$120
User Power: 40%
I've gone out and read articles on the subject and seen the formulas for placing "value" on time vs money etc etc. I've come up with a plan and I am going to approach my partner with it next week. Thought I'd open it up to the firing squad first :smash:

Business: Software and services as a package for other businesses, the software is easily copyable but worthless without proper execution and is greatly enhanced by the services

Background: Known the guy for 10 years - were roommates in college, we're young (same age) corporate IT employees at different companies both trying to get out and do our own thing, in my initial excitement and planning I told him all of the possibilities of what I had in mind, oops.

Me: I bring the process, direction, experience, execution plan, software requirements, marketing, potential first clients, etc.

Him: He is one of the best software developers I know and could handle future work on the business side

I tried to just hire him for $$ but he wants equity after getting caught up in my excitement. So rather than push the subject without a plan I decided to back up and make sure my ducks were in a row.

Equity Split: 75 me / 25 him

Why: Initially our workload will be about equal as he builds the software and I execute all of the business side, marketing, etc. I've spent the past 2 years (albeit by accident at first) growing my knowledge, practicing my execution, and building contacts around this very service.

My main point with him is while he is very good, I could hire a different developer and own 100% since I bring everything else. I know a few developers.

His main point is after initial development and if growing he wants to move into the business side as an equal and we hire developers if necessary.

Am I missing anything? Should I offer equal annual compensation despite equity split? Should I just bite the bullet get funded and hire a developer?

TIA
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Vji iraovz demdamevus ev "guapfst" qavt ov op vji teni cemm qesl, epf nz dupgosnevoup coet molit vjot :vjanctaq:.

foundrs.webp
 
Pefe?
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom