The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Splitting Startup Equity

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

jatx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Apr 29, 2013
Texas
I've gone out and read articles on the subject and seen the formulas for placing "value" on time vs money etc etc. I've come up with a plan and I am going to approach my partner with it next week. Thought I'd open it up to the firing squad first :smash:

Business: Software and services as a package for other businesses, the software is easily copyable but worthless without proper execution and is greatly enhanced by the services

Background: Known the guy for 10 years - were roommates in college, we're young (same age) corporate IT employees at different companies both trying to get out and do our own thing, in my initial excitement and planning I told him all of the possibilities of what I had in mind, oops.

Me: I bring the process, direction, experience, execution plan, software requirements, marketing, potential first clients, etc.

Him: He is one of the best software developers I know and could handle future work on the business side

I tried to just hire him for $$ but he wants equity after getting caught up in my excitement. So rather than push the subject without a plan I decided to back up and make sure my ducks were in a row.

Equity Split: 75 me / 25 him

Why: Initially our workload will be about equal as he builds the software and I execute all of the business side, marketing, etc. I've spent the past 2 years (albeit by accident at first) growing my knowledge, practicing my execution, and building contacts around this very service.

My main point with him is while he is very good, I could hire a different developer and own 100% since I bring everything else. I know a few developers.

His main point is after initial development and if growing he wants to move into the business side as an equal and we hire developers if necessary.

Am I missing anything? Should I offer equal annual compensation despite equity split? Should I just bite the bullet get funded and hire a developer?

TIA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jatx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Apr 29, 2013
Texas
The equity calculator at "foundrs" puts it in the same ball park, and my confirmation bias likes this :thumbsup:.

foundrs.PNG

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.