The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Really good (but obscure) business books?

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Yeh ok , and how many corporations are you guys the executive officer of?

None? Maybe instead of reading about business you should engage in it. Thats all i'm saying.

Read "do the work" pretty short , doesn't pull punches , for some people the resistance is something obvious like too many video games. For plenty of folks its piddling around on entrepreneur forums and reading books about systematizing and outsourcing and all that.

Get a business that makes money and then read a book neccesary to solve a problem , I guarantee if you have a break through and make a solid company 95% of all that reading wont have applied.

Heres a little reality check , without opening the book can you summarize the...lets say 3rd to last book you read? What did you read in june and how did that apply to your journey? What about may 2018?

Your keeping notes right? Maybe flashcards?

No? , My thats a lot of wasted time.

Whats thats saying? "If more information was the answer we'd all be billionaires with six pack abs"
Was silently thinking this but not so aggressively. But then again I don't know who OP is and where he is in his journey so I'm not going to judge.

Most important thing is to just start. Pick up the millionaire fastlane and just do the stuff it tells you. Like literally do what it tells you today, action on it. Instead of just storing information for a time when "you might need it".

Im guilty of it. Looked though my watched youtube videos and maybe about 1.5 years ago I was watching content on how to hire and fire employees, yet I didn't even have an idea, let alone employees or profit Pure insanity when I think back, but when you're taking in information it feels good and feels like you're making progress.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
Here are some in the Sales and Marketing category

System Secrets by Ken McCarthy (about online marketing)
The System Club Letters by Ken McCarthy (about business in general)
Overdeliver by Brian Kurtz (about direct response marketing)
The Secret Of Selling Anything by Harry Browne (best sales book I've read)
Ben Settle's Villains Books (3 short books on persuasion)

A couple general ones:
Obvious Adams (a great short story)
A Technique For Producing Ideas (about using the subconscious mind)
How an Economy Grows And Why It Crashes by Peter Schiff (a short story with illustrations about how our economy and monetary system work)

These are all books I'll be returning to over and over again. Hopefully I can spread the good word to a few people.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for all the suggestions. Found a few gems!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Something that escaped a lot of you ( maybe, maybe not ) is that many people use the word "read" in place of "I actually just listened to it on audio".

I am not saying everyone does, but I learned a lot of people that claim many books a month ( 3-5 ) are actually listening to them and not reading.

Does it matter? No. But just letting this out for those of you wondering how it is done. For some reason they still state they "read" when in fact it's audio books.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
You realize a lot of us use Audiobooks right? We have to drive somewhere and just put on an audiobook. There's a false dichotomy here: either read, or work on your business. In reality you can easily do both.
Since you're our social sciences person...
Any studies into the effectiveness/retention of audiobooks vs traditional books?
I'm guessing it depends on learning style of the individual? I know there's been a lot of research into learning styles, so I'm assuming any studies would mirror that.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Any studies into the effectiveness/retention of audiobooks vs traditional books?
I'm guessing it depends on learning style of the individual? I know there's been a lot of research into learning styles, so I'm assuming any studies would mirror that.

I heard you can boost retention by reading the book while listening to the audio, so it's as if the author is narrating the book to you.

ironman150

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jun 22, 2017
GREEN BAY WI
I heard you can boost retention by reading the book while listening to the audio, so it's as if the author is narrating the book to you.
True, and if you listen (and follow along) at a higher speed, you get more books in per month.
Scribd is GREAT for this.

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia

I bought an iPad this month. Having kindle side by side with a handwritten note taking app is doing wonders for my information retention.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

I’m not him but there’s been some cool research over the last hundred years that narration is the key to retention.

Basically saying out loud in your own words whatever it is you just read.

This can take the form of journaling or discussing a book with others. Essentially if you can’t explain something you’ve learned to anyone around you you haven’t really learned it.

This is an awesome thread.

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Principles by Ray Dalio - Solid breakdown in applying principles to life situations
Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink - Great on audiobook
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - Great for mindset
Never Split The Difference by Chris Voss - book on negotiation

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
The Science of Getting Rich a Public Domain book written 100 years ago by Wallace D. Wattles still resonates with me on many levels including business.

Yea it gets a bit into the mind but what business prospers without that.

The guy really was before his time.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
39qmbc.jpg

Here are some great, obscure or just not as recognized as they should be, titles:
  • anything by Jay Abraham (most notably Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got and The Sticking Point Solution) - he's by far the best business strategy expert out there,

Jay is a University. He put it in me you can make money from absolutely nothing given the proper set up. Companies do not realize they are not optimizing all their assets and will pay us to show them how. Or you find a prime prospect and hand it off to a Pro and split profits.

Or another Abrahams idea... intro Mr. Peanut Butter to Mrs. Jelly and broker a deal. Need to go read more of his stuff right now.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Sorry, didn't see this.

From the studies they've done, it seems to be about the same.

For a 2016 study, Rogowsky put her assumptions to the test. One group in her study listened to sections of Unbroken, a nonfiction book about World War II by Laura Hillenbrand, while a second group read the same parts on an e-reader. She included a third group that both read and listened at the same time. Afterward, everyone took a quiz designed to measure how well they had absorbed the material. “We found no significant differences in comprehension between reading, listening, or reading and listening simultaneously,” Rogowsky says.

Those are the studies I've seen, but despite that, I still might guess I'd say I'm pretty sure that Audiobooks have a higher retention rate. My reasoning is: humans have been speaking and listening for hundreds of thousands of years, while the written word is a lot newer evolutionarily. You have to decode each of those funny symbols while reading. Listening is more natural.

I think for with people ADHD, it's almost certain that audiobooks are better.

I personally like audiobooks because I can listen while driving, doing the dishes.. whatever. You can practically get a college degree in your spare time.

But actually, believe it or not the Learning Styles thing turned out to be a myth:

But that being said I do think audiobooks are better suited for some people and the same with print books.

The absolute best thing you can do for reading retention is to take notes in your own words on another piece of paper. Understand the material, then put your own spin on it. Hilighting has been shown to do nothing for reading retention.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I started reading biographies...

If you haven't read anything from Ayn Rand... You will love it.

Try-
John D Rockefeller
Andrew Carnegie
Cornelius Vanderbilt
JP Morgan
Sam Walton
Warren Buffett
T Boone Pickens
Koch Brothers

Now I am on to a bit of history:

Currently reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."

And economic theory:
F A Hayek
Robert Nozick

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
The one business book i've read was a small obscure book. I read it in one sitting.

It didn't taught me a lot about business.

But it taught me a lot about "business books".

And if you are seeking enlightenment you won't find any.

This book was biography of author that sold 100 mln books.

You probably know the name of this author.
I'll let you guess.

P.S. If didn't catch it, the moral of the story is that business books
are one of the biggest scam of 20th and 21st century.

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
The one business book i've read was a small obscure book. I read it in one sitting.

It didn't taught me a lot about business.

But it taught me a lot about "business books".

And if you are seeking enlightenment you won't find any.

This book was biography of author that sold 100 mln books.

You probably know the name of this author.
I'll let you guess.

P.S. If didn't catch it, the moral of the story is that business books
are one of the biggest scam of 20th and 21st century.
Thats a bold statement.

Are many of them bad? Yep.

Some of them, however, are pretty good.

My first six figures came directly from taking action on a few books I read.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
I bought an iPad this month. Having kindle side by side with a handwritten note taking app is doing wonders for my information retention.
Do you listen to it also or just take notes.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
But actually, believe it or not the Learning Styles thing turned out to be a myth:

Funny considering the way learning styles were drilled into me during my teacher certification. A major component of my training was project based learning and how to reach every possible learning style at once.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Funny considering the way learning styles were drilled into me during my teacher certification. A major component of my training was project based learning and how to reach every possible learning style at once.
Yea, it's pretty bad. Psychology just underwent a crisis where we found about 50% of all the things we knew turned out to basically be total bullshit.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Yea, it's pretty bad. Psychology just underwent a crisis where we found about 50% of all the things we knew turned out to basically be total bullshit.

I thought an experiment had to be replicated before the findings could be considered "new knowledge"... is that not the case with psychology?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I thought an experiment had to be replicated before the findings could be considered "new knowledge"... is that not the case with psychology?
Yes, but technology has progressed since they did those experiments. So doing experiments from the 50's with 2010's technology showed some errors with the studies.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
on the 'how can you read so many books' topic, according to the netflix documentary, Bill Gates reads 150 pages/hour, and will read 15 books on a short trip. The person being interviewed about him says that he retains 90 percent of what he reads. I believe it based on other stories I've read about him.

Some people can read a lot, and retain almost everything they read. I'm not one of them. I'll read 1-2 books a month.

My book recommendation: The Road Less Stupid by Keith Cunningham. The author is highly experienced in business. Every other word is wisdom itself. His main point? Spend 3 hours a week in "Thinking Time." Each of his short chapters in the book is centered around a topic for your to consider during Thinking Time. At the end of each chapter is a list of questions for you to work through.

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
on the 'how can you read so many books' topic, according to the netflix documentary, Bill Gates reads 150 pages/hour, and will read 15 books on a short trip. The person being interviewed about him says that he retains 90 percent of what he reads. I believe it based on other stories I've read about him.

Some people can read a lot, and retain almost everything they read. I'm not one of them. I'll read 1-2 books a month.

My book recommendation: The Road Less Stupid by Keith Cunningham. The author is highly experienced in business. Every other word is wisdom itself. His main point? Spend 3 hours a week in "Thinking Time." Each of his short chapters in the book is centered around a topic for your to consider during Thinking Time. At the end of each chapter is a list of questions for you to work through.

Read it a good while ago and its GOLD.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.