The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Lol that's so relevant to me today.

It's been difficult to find premium diesel where I live. People panic bought it so much that many gas stations couldn't keep up and there are shortages.

When it was finally available today, it cost $1.93 per liter or $7.30 per gallon which is 33% more than I paid on March 1.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Here ya go @Kak, just buy an island and claim it your own country.

I read it, and wtf is a "post-trump" world. I hate sayings like that so much.

Do people seriously look at old man poopy pants and think that is a better choice as a world leader? I guess having someone call reporters a "dumb son of a bitch" and falling asleep in meetings or zoning out after rambling incoherently on live TV is better than some mean tweets and an abrasive personality.

That island is also far below the Kak standards I would imagine. It looks like a swamp with a tiny corner of beach with a tree on it.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Fallout shelter biz seems like a good Fastlane bet for the next few years.

Sell storm shelters in the off-season.

Or lead gen for fallout shelter and storm shelter businesses...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Fallout shelter biz seems like a good Fastlane bet for the next few years.

Sell storm shelters in the off-season.

Or lead gen for fallout shelter and storm shelter businesses...

Have you played the Fallout games?

Time to think of a cooler name than Vault-Tec.

It's CNN but those images are incredible (although not technically real)

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Have you played the Fallout games?

Never played it. Looked like a good time though.

I partied in this one about 10 years ago.

It has an entire home built underneath a home in Vegas. There's an in-ground pool and hot tub. Walls painted like the outside world. The carpet is like grass. Even has its own guest house down there. Pretty damn cool.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Never played it. Looked like a good time though.

I partied in this one about 10 years ago.

It has an entire home built underneath a home in Vegas. There's an in-ground pool and hot tub. Walls painted like the outside world. The carpet is like grass. Even has its own guest house down there. Pretty damn cool.

Yep, that is cool! And the fact that it's in Vegas is even better.

I'm slowly becoming less and less interested in games but Fallout: New Vegas will always hold a special place in my heart. The writing in that game is ridiculous, the dialogues you can have with the NPCs are extremely witty, hilarious but also extremely profound, and the story in this game can go whichever way you want it to.

The in-your-face marketing inside the game's universe of various pre-war companies is very ironic and critical of capitalism (though the game also promotes capitalism) but it's still done with so much thought put into it that it actually helped shape my copywriting style. I even got in touch with the guy that did most of the writing to thank him (Chris Avellone, one of the most renowned video game & comic writers out there).

Unfortunately, all of this is probably irrelevant to you since you already live in The Underground.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
F*ck the zuck.

We'll only allow it... if it FITS our AGENDA.

QZKtRox.jpeg

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
1647123603400.png

"How Putin's war led to a sharp rise of blood clots and myocarditis in Americans."

I felt like going down a rabbit hole on mainstream medicine and their BS throughout history so I started reading Dissolving Illusions.

One of the chapters mentions that in the 1800s doctors recommended a vaccine for some disease (smallpox or cowpox) despite poor trial results, how they overlooked patients getting hurt from the vaccine, how people who were vaxinated still got sick and sometimes more sick than unvaxinated people, and how governments forced vaccination on their populations despite lackluster results.

I swear that human nature is a bad sitcom where the same episodes get replayed again and again but with new actors.

There really is nothing new under the sun.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
What if, instead of taxes going up for everybody, governments simply collected less revenue.
Governments using the word "Revenue" Should be outlawed. People might start thinking twice if every time politicians talked about "Revenue" they had to use words like "your money" instead.
"Government Revenue is up this year" or "Government is taking/getting more of your money this year" etc... etc..

I squared off with BD in another thread over his claim that he would let his (hypothetical) kids die for $100,000 ransom. He said we must not negotiate with kidnappers, instead we must teach them a lesson and let them murder our kids.

I would not only negotiate, I would become a fierce animal with no morals to protect and get back my family. Outside of extreme cases like this, I see no reason to want to lord over other people. Every dictator I can think of ended up paranoid and alone - because he couldn’t trust anyone. There is a reason for that. That behaviour is neither natural nor healthy.

My 0.02 cents.
Am reading "Never split the difference" - Chriss Voss former FBI hostage negotiator he talks about how to save the $100,000 and save the kids!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Am reading "Never split the difference" - Chriss Voss former FBI hostage negotiator he talks about how to save the $100,000 and save the kids!
One of my favorite books! You’ll love it. And proves the point- you do negotiate! ;)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Living is the journey from not knowing to knowing. From not understanding to understanding. From confusion to clarity. By universal design you are born into a perplexing situation, bewildered, and you have one job as a human: figure this shit out.

- Will Smith

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
One of my favorite books! You’ll love it. And proves the point- you do negotiate! ;)
Actually it proves the exact opposite. If you actually read it you’d know how most situations were actually solved without giving the terrorists what they were asking for. That’s the opposite of compromise and traditional negotiation. Hence @TheCj above saying how to save $100K AND the kids. But ofc, you’d pay them $100K, becuase in your own words you turn into a senseless animal who lacks reason and morality to save your family (and somehow that’s supposed to be admirable and rational, the exact attitude Chris Voss recommends for such situations!)

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Actually it proves the exact opposite. If you actually read it you’d know how most situations were actually solved without giving the terrorists what they were asking for. That’s the opposite of compromise and traditional negotiation. Hence @TheCj above saying how to save $100K AND the kids. But ofc, you’d pay them $100K, becuase in your own words you turn into a senseless animal who lacks reason and morality to save your family (and somehow that’s supposed to be admirable and rational, the exact attitude Chris Voss recommends for such situations!)

No, it's more like reassuring the terrorists they haven't gone past the point of no return with some very careful wording and empathy followed by negotiating the prospect of them giving themselves up for a much shorter sentence so that everyone involved can go back home to their families and live to see another day.

Yes, it does involve not giving in to their demands but in a way that shows to them that their demands will only further escalate the situation and cause them harm. And mostly by just letting them talk themselves out of whatever they're doing.

But this book's teachings probably won't work in the ransom situation that keeps getting brought up because the kidnappers aren't in a life or death situation - meaning they have cold, hard logic backing them up.

Anyway, to reiterate what Antifragile and Kak said some days ago, I'd also pay all of the money in the world. But if they still harmed my family I'd make it my sole goal in life to murder the kidnappers with no regard whatsoever for the consequences.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
No, it's more like reassuring the terrorists they haven't gone past the point of no return with some very careful wording and empathy followed by negotiating the prospect of them giving themselves up for a much shorter sentence so that everyone involved can go back home to their families and live to see another day.

Yes, it does involve not giving in to their demands but in a way that shows to them that their demands will only further escalate the situation and cause them harm. And mostly by just letting them talk themselves out of whatever they're doing.

But this book's teachings probably won't work in the ransom situation that keeps getting brought up because the kidnappers aren't in a life or death situation - meaning they have cold, hard logic backing them up
Many of the situations you speak about were the kind you mention - where the terrorist had no escape. But not all. I can’t remember by heart but at least 2 if memory serves me right were the latter kind, where the terrorists were either part of a larger organisation, or they weren’t under any pressure.

Anyway, to reiterate what Antifragile and Kak said some days ago, I'd also pay all of the money in the world.
I wouldn’t because I cannot trust terrorists and people who are immoral to that extent. As you say in the next sentence, nothing stops them from taking the money and killing your kid, or even worse, taking the money and kidnapping another one of your kids.

But if they still harmed my family I'd make it my sole goal in life to murder the kidnappers with no regard whatsoever for the consequences.
While this is human and understandable somewhat in that situation, I can’t sympathize with the view. When you repay evil with evil, you only prove that you’re like the aggressor. Justice is different than revenge because justice is proportional and justice aims to prevent further harm.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Many of the situations you speak about were the kind you mention - where the terrorist had no escape. But not all. I can’t remember by heart but at least 2 if memory serves me right were the latter kind, where the terrorists were either part of a larger organisation, or they weren’t under any pressure.

I wouldn’t because I cannot trust terrorists and people who are immoral to that extent. As you say in the next sentence, nothing stops them from taking the money and killing your kid, or even worse, taking the money and kidnapping another one of your kids.

While this is human and understandable somewhat in that situation, I can’t sympathize with the view. When you repay evil with evil, you only prove that you’re like the aggressor. Justice is different than revenge because justice is proportional and justice aims to prevent further harm.

I assume most kidnappers aren't interested in attracting more attention to themselves by murdering people.

But I can see your point. Paying them a hefty amount might make them greedy and ask for more. And more. And when you can't provide them with more, your family member could still end up at the bottom of a river since they got what they wanted.

On the other hand, if they aren't the murderous type, they might just grow frustrated and let your family go if you don't pay them a dime.

But in a real-life situation, that kind of rationale tends to go out the window.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
But this book's teachings probably won't work in the ransom situation that keeps getting brought up because the kidnappers aren't in a life or death situation - meaning they have cold, hard logic backing them up.

I am not sure this is true. Chris Voss developed his techniques on the front lines - Voss was a member of the New York City Joint Terrorism Task Force!

What situation are you referencing? The one where BD claimed to allow his kids to die for $100k because "we don't negotiate with terrorists" argument? Ignore him. It's all theory for that dude. Chris Voss was about real life and I am sure his methods would do very well in a ransom situation.

A few years back, I was in a 2 day negotiation course in-person with an instructor. I had recently finished Never Split the Difference and decided that during the simulations (sims) I'd test the book! It worked exceptionally well. I've since become a huge fan. Another great book is by Jim Camp "Start with no". Have you read it yet?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

The way you are wording it here and in the other thread come across very differently.

The other thread does read like you would rather let them die than give them money because you don’t want to encourage them to do it again.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The way you are wording it here and in the other thread come across very differently.

The other thread does read like you would rather let them die than give them money because you don’t want to encourage them to do it again.
As Blaise Pascal said, “There is light enough for those who wish to see, and darkness enough for those who are otherwise inclined

- Meaning that if you are inclined to give an uncharitable reading, that’s exactly what you’ll do (and blame your interlocutor for it).

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I am not sure this is true. Chris Voss developed his techniques on the front lines - Voss was a member of the New York City Joint Terrorism Task Force!

What situation are you referencing? The one where BD claimed to allow his kids to die for $100k because "we don't negotiate with terrorists" argument? Ignore him. It's all theory for that dude. Chris Voss was about real life and I am sure his methods would do very well in a ransom situation.

A few years back, I was in a 2 day negotiation course in-person with an instructor. I had recently finished Never Split the Difference and decided that during the simulations (sims) I'd test the book! It worked exceptionally well. I've since become a huge fan. Another great book is by Jim Camp "Start with no". Have you read it yet?

I like how you tested it out. I've only read Never Split The Difference but I might have to read it again along with the other book you mentioned. Up until a few years ago, I had a hard time saying "no".

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
I don't condone drug use, but if that is your thing, please be aware that a lot of party drugs are now cut with fentanyl, which is causing a spike in drug related deaths.

View: https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1502409725383745539
Fentanyl is messed up. Some dude was sitting at a red light in North Van, ODed and passed out, ran the red, then ran over my sister while she was sitting at the bus stop texting me. He died but they revived him with narcan.

Now she's messed up for life because of it.....helluva drug

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I don't condone drug use, but if that is your thing, please be aware that a lot of party drugs are now cut with fentanyl, which is causing a spike in drug related deaths.

View: https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1502409725383745539
Drugs need to be made legal. The war on drugs is clearly just making things worse.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri