The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Random thoughts of the day: presently slowly switching from thinker to doer

It is probably my biggest issue right now, the amount of time I can think and actually do little

Alway thinking of the best, reality-proof plan that will bring me max results, instead of continually testing small ideas and then build from there

Working on that

1686576989261.png

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
"I hate being stuck in a chair all day, I want to work with my hands."
- Frustrated White Collar

"I hate working with my hands all day, I want to get paid to sit in a chair."
- Frustrated Blue Collar

...Accurate?
Yep. Grass is always greener!

Sitting too much will destroy your body just as much as kneeling on tile all day to do plumbing - maybe just in a different way. Always best to get a variety of movement during the day if you can.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Random thoughts of the day: presently slowly switching from thinker to doer

It is probably my biggest issue right now, the amount of time I can think and actually do little

Alway thinking of the best, reality-proof plan that will bring me max results, instead of continually testing small ideas and then build from there

Working on that

View attachment 49274
Think about what you've done?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I think in the future, some Company or Church is going to create a battery of tests that work like Industry Certifications. These Certifications will not be in AWS or some other technology, they will be for a "Gold Standard GED". Maybe McDonalds or Walmart will create a "High School Certificate" that certifies you as having real basic skills, and require you pass it before employment. Or the Catholic Church. Some organization that needs the functional people American high-schools seem to no longer be producing. This will allow high-schools, which seem to now be mandatory nurseries for young adults, to die off.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Quick Question

If you have a situation where you have done some work for a client and they are happy with the product or service, but when it comes to paying the bill, they are "too busy" or "it's not a very high priority for them".

Has anyone got any tips on how to handle this? So for example, would you refuse to do more work for the client until the bill was paid, or would you just be patient and hope it got paid eventually? Or would you chase the client enthusiastically until it got paid? Would you worry about losing future business from that client? Or damaging your relationship with that client?

Just wondering if anyone has any general tips on this issue?

When I worked for an IT company, we used to take a dim view of clients that didn't like paying bills. But I'm not sure that thinking is the best approach for me at the moment.

I'm not talking about a lot of money, it's just that because I am in early days, bringing money in matters to me at the moment. I can't afford to give clients ad-hoc credit as required.

I'm also not thinking of a situation where a client refuses to pay because they want to dispute a deliverable, just where payment seems to be delayed without justification from the supplier's perspective.

Any tips or suggestions anyone has will be appreciated.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Quick Question

If you have a situation where you have done some work for a client and they are happy with the product or service, but when it comes to paying the bill, they are "too busy" or "it's not a very high priority for them".

Has anyone got any tips on how to handle this? So for example, would you refuse to do more work for the client until the bill was paid, or would you just be patient and hope it got paid eventually? Or would you chase the client enthusiastically until it got paid? Would you worry about losing future business from that client? Or damaging your relationship with that client?

When I worked for an IT company, we used to take a dim view of clients that didn't like paying bills. But I'm not sure that thinking is the best approach for me at the moment.

I'm not talking about a lot of money, it's just that because I am in early days, bringing money in matters to me at the moment. I can't afford to give clients ad-hoc credit as required.

I'm also not thinking of a situation where a client refuses to pay because they want to dispute a deliverable, just where payment seems to be delayed without justification from the supplier's perspective.

It could be that the client always pay on a certain time of month and waits till then.
One of the people I work with only pays invoices on Friday.

Otherwise tell them kindly that you need the money. Something like
"Friendly reminder that you still have open invoices for us. No big deal just tell us when you plan to pay them. Everyone has their own schedule of paying bills, we understand that. However paying this week would help feed a starving ceo :) "
will not offend anyone and might even strengthen the relationship.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Quick Question

Obviously, don't keep doing free work for clients like this. Not everyone is unethical when it comes to paying their bills. But for the unethical ones, do your best to minimize the amount they can take advantage of you. It's not like they'll ever learn - it's just a matter of how much they'll use you before you put your foot down.

You could consider these options:
- Get paid upfront (either as a rule, or before doing any more work for these specific clients)
- Send recurring reminders to customers about their overdue invoice
- Email them that a late fee will be added if this is not paid by [DEADLINE]
- Add the late fee to the invoice at that point
- Make sure you are communicating clearly upfront about payment expectations

All these are straightforward ways that any business would use to collect accounts receivable. All of the above can be done calmly and politely without needing to shame the client or fight over money or feel agitated in any way. If you need help writing your email templates, just think about the utility bills you already receive and model yours after that. How would your utility companies or credit card providers communicate with you if your bill was overdue? They wouldn't grovel or beg or plead. They'd just send you a notice. And that's usually going to be the best "first approach" for anyone who owes you money as well. Be professional and courteous and assume that they're going to pay the bill.

But if you've tried the normal methods and it's starting to look like the client really isn't going to pay you, then it'll come down to whether it's worth attempting a claim in small claims court. If the amount is high, that might be worth it. Otherwise, you might just have to write off that invoice as uncollectible and move on.

If it comes to that point, you might want to revisit your contract and terms to see if there are ways you could tighten up any payment loopholes.

Of course, there are also other...more creative...methods of trying to persuade someone to pay you, such as leaving a poor Google review, but proceed with caution if you are trying to strong-arm or blackmail someone into paying you, as this may backfire if they're the kind of person to retaliate.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View attachment 49268

Or realtor.

Or freelancing.
I see a lot of laughs on this post, but let’s get real for a second.

Hoping something goes up is not a plan. It never was. It never will be.

That’s not to say investing is stupid, but it makes a lot of people feel like unstoppable geniuses when the winds are blowing in the right direction.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I see a lot of laughs on this post, but let’s get real for a second.

Hoping something goes up is not a plan. It never was. It never will be.

That’s not to say investing is stupid, but it makes a lot of people feel like unstoppable geniuses when the winds are blowing in the right direction.
An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis promises safety of principal and an adequate return. Operations not meeting these requirements are speculative.” - Benjamin Graham

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Quick Question

They're not a client if they don't pay.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
An Amazon delivery driver claimed a homeowner made a racist comment over a Ring doorbell, so Amazon permanently shut off all the homeowner's Amazon devices. Turns out it was a malfunctioning Eufy camera repeating setup instructions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiIXooD77s

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

- Frustrated Blue Collar

...Accurate?

Humans have a near infinite capacity of suffering almost anything in their life.
  • Got married / Not married
  • Have children / Don't have children
  • They have a job / They don't have a job

Almost universally, it's not our circumstances that are causing us joy or misery, but our own perception of them. We see in the world a reflection of ourselves.

I'm not preaching for financial minimalism by any means - quite the contrary.

But I truly believe that it's important to learn how to create joy within our own minds first. And learn to appreciate the ecstatic beauty of life. If we can't do that, no amount of money is going to save us.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
When and how do we get the speedway pass tag on the profile?

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
I just got an email from someone who just finished TMF (French version) from the middle of the Atlantic on a sailboat. He sent me the coordinates of where he was through an Iridium satellite. How cool, he truly is in the middle of nowhere! Stuff like this truly fascinates me, as a child I never thought my words could get to eyes outside of my city, much less my own home. Now they're in the middle of the Atlantic.

View attachment 49217
Amazing! Sounds like resourcing freedom. I enjoyed the French version of TMF . My life paterner and my parents are going to read it soon

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

- Frustrated Blue Collar

...Accurate?
Accurate, I’ve had both experiences multiple times haha. As a mechanic then an engineer

Tks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Feb 6, 2023
Earth
I got a job last week... but is it worth my time?

Hi fastlaners,
I got a a summer job at a semi-truck dealership last week, the reason is to improve my sales skill. One week into the job and I don't know if I made the right decision or not. I had this image of customers coming in the showroom to chat with the salesman but reality proved me wrong. In one week I counted 2 potential customers walking through the door and that's for the whole dealership with 7 salesmen. That number makes sense because the commission for 1 truck can cover 2 months of expense. But what I am after is practice not money. Sure, I can do marketing on social media and generate my own customer but that's not sales.

I am considering 3 options
  • Contitnue the job and probably talk to <15 customers before I have to go back to university
  • Find a job selling something else cheaper and have more customers. With this option I will have to go through job seeking and product training again.
  • 2 tenants are going to move out of my dad's 4-plex, I can use this opportunity to do a little bit of sales. This sounds enticing because I get to be at home but there are only 2 rooms
I don't really know what is the best option right now, maybe I am asking too much from a summer job?

Goodfella999

My biggest regret is not starting sooner
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 29, 2022
South FL
Im 33 years old and been having trouble tying my Jiu Jitsu Gi pants and Belt. I realized that I still only know how to tie Bunny ears and not loop swoop. I must be the only idiot that still does this...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Haven't been on IG in months. Just tried scrolling through the feed, it is insufferable.

33% of the feed is advertising. 2 posts, 1 ad, 2 posts, 1 ad ....

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
Haven't been on IG in months. Just tried scrolling through the feed, it is insufferable.

33% of the feed is advertising. 2 posts, 1 ad, 2 posts, 1 ad ....
Your posts are all scheduled? How long are your posts scheduled for?

I use an app blocker application not to go on IG & YT during my work sessions (basically from 7 AM to 5 PM). I deactivate the blocker only if I need to catch someone through the DMs. This is pretty useful. A feedblocker is also great on PCs.

Love your posts, when I step on IG scrolling, I almost only have helpful posts like yours, or other pages. Reading them like 5 to 10 minutes a day at most not more, so it doesn't put me in fake action.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Hi fastlaners,
I got a a summer job at a semi-truck dealership last week, the reason is to improve my sales skill. One week into the job and I don't know if I made the right decision or not. I had this image of customers coming in the showroom to chat with the salesman but reality proved me wrong. In one week I counted 2 potential customers walking through the door and that's for the whole dealership with 7 salesmen. That number makes sense because the commission for 1 truck can cover 2 months of expense. But what I am after is practice not money. Sure, I can do marketing on social media and generate my own customer but that's not sales.

What does the dealership expect you to do with your time, if there aren't enough walk-in customers for the existing salespeople to deal with? I wonder why they'd take someone on, on that basis. Do they put you with one of the other sales staff to learn from them, or are you just sitting around doing / learning nothing?

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I had this image of customers coming in the showroom
What if you modified this image to "I reached out to XYZ trucking company because I saw several of their existing trucks in the shop over at ABC repairs. I have a perfect truck on the lot right now that would get them back on the road and making money".

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
I've made almost $20k off writing online in a year and a half from Medium alone.

It's too much money to quit, but not enough to keep on doing just that.

So I need to decide how to diversify.

1. E-commerce
2. YouTube

Don't really know what to do. Thoughts?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content