The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Self-Journal

The world seems confusing and picking a direction seems very hard.

Many directions look appealing, but the thought of committing to one is gut-wrenching and uncertain.

Will it work? Will it be a mistake?

You say you're scared of commitment, but lack of commitment is not working well for you, is it?

Lack of commitment sends you into mental spirals, while singular focus opens up all of the answers.

A singular focus on any one thing will open up valuable roads, so why be so scared?

You should in reality be scared of indecision.

Could you make the decision on one thing? Yes, so don't act like it's out of your own control. You could decide right now.

Whenever you choose to commit, you will enter a new world.

It's waiting for you with open arms.

You know you need to be able to sell. And you know you need to be able to build. And you know you need leverage.

The fourth piece to that puzzle.. is problems and industries.

There are many, but one thing is for sure - any time wasted without commitment is your fault.

Any time wasted in indecision is guaranteed confusion.

Any time wasted is going to make it longer and longer before you can achieve leverage.

Because you made a decision not to commit.

That can change, right now.

You can go all in, and naturally the doors will open.

But until then, you will be trapped in your mind like an ant in a thick spider web.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Self-Journal

Many directions look appealing, but the thought of committing to one is gut-wrenching and uncertain.

You say you're scared of commitment, but lack of commitment is not working well for you, is it?

Lack of commitment sends you into mental spirals, while singular focus opens up all of the answers.

A singular focus on any one thing will open up valuable roads, so why be so scared?

Could you make the decision on one thing? Yes, so don't act like it's out of your own control. You could decide right now.

You know you need to be able to sell. And you know you need to be able to build. And you know you need leverage.

There are many, but one thing is for sure - any time wasted without commitment is your fault.

Any time wasted is going to make it longer and longer before you can achieve leverage.

But until then, you will be trapped in your mind like an ant in a thick spider web.
Very thoughtful post. Remember that you could build and exit a business within 5 to 10 years (maybe less?)

So, you will have other chances to work on a different business later on. Even better: you will have a higher chance of success in future ventures, due to the skills you learn from the business you choose now.

In short: you aren't stuck with the decision forever. Decide, work, win, exit (or delegate) - then repeat for something else you want to do.

Just keep learning along the way. Looking forward to see what you create!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Self-Journal

Most of the time, to NOT make a decision is to let the Universe, the situation, or other people decide for you. That way you can blame them for the results. Right? It's a way of thinking so that you can let yourself off of the hook. In the end, you must own the results no matter how hard you try to slip by. Your lack of a decision, therefore, is a decision.

But, let's start at the beginning. Ask yourself if this is a self-correcting problem. Some problems don't need a solution -- only time to work themselves out.

If not, then you need to make a decision and own the outcome. Even if you don't decide, you still must deal with the results. Since you're gonna own it anyway, you might as do it your way. What if you're wrong? The answer is, "Next". Own your decision and try something else. Don't change your decision 180 degrees. Tweak it a bit and try it again. Most decisions aren't life and death. They are simply a fork in the road.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I wrote in TGRRE , seek Excellence, and you will likely get yourself a GOOD.

Seek GOOD (as in "good enough") and you'll like end with mediocre.

1686316998438.png

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Mastering the Markets?

How about being authentic?

Start a hedge fund with billions under management and you'll make billions irrespective of what the market does.

End of class.

But nope, this undoubtedly will be Slowlane bullshit, buy value companies, buy this, buy that. (Never mind that our management fees is what made us centa-millionaires and billionaires.) They're missing Cathie Wood here too, I'm sure she has a lot to say about "mastering the markets."

SMH.
View attachment 49190
b9jlx8adgz4b1.png

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Self-Journal

Ah... I am the opposite.

My life is run through experiments. I usually have two to three that I am running at the same time to (1) live life because the next second is not guaranteed and (2) learn.

I "experiment" with projects, some paid, some unpaid. One of them right now is to help people shatter their limiting beliefs and get themselves to act to build the life they want through storytelling. An entrepreneurial venture if you will.

Not all of them have the same attention and energy. Experiment #232 can have priority for weeks, and then my attention gets shifted to Experiment #235. That's where clarity comes from for me, through following my curiosity and intentionally going after multiple projects. Serendipity brings amazing benefits.

I am far from being financially independent, as many here are. I do have a lot of flexibility and made the conscious choice of building the life I want today - which means optimizing flexibility and optionality, and living a very curious and serendipitous life.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not a single photo or video? From the generation that has their smartphones 24/7? C'mon, man..

Police officer harassing an innocent bystander? 1,240 separate video recordings from different people.

Aliens fly over Vegas and land in backyard? Not one.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Usually, it is the fear of what you will lose, or won't be spending any time on by making a decision, that creates the fear.
It's not that people are scared of making a decision to do A, it's that they are afraid of not doing B, when they chose to do A and nothing else (FOMO).

It might help just to take a few minutes, a pen and paper or a stylus and ipad etc and write down all the benefits to you of doing the things that you won't be doing when you make your decision (ie. the benefits of B). These will be the things that are assisting you to feel stuck.

Some of the things on the list you create, you will be able to dismiss, you'll say "I can live without that", or "I don't need that", but there will probably be a few things that you will miss quite badly.

To deal with these, either try to work out how to get these benefits from what you will be doing, so you won't be losing them, or try to find equivalent benefits from the thing that you will be doing in order to reduce the fear of making the decision.

Once the fear is gone or largely decreased, making the decision and implementing it should be easy.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If this doesn't make any sense and you want me to make up an example for more clarity, then let me know and I can add it in here.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
What are some of the "commonly accepted wisdom" that you think is not necessarily true?

I think there are three kinds of categories.

One type if herd thinking that can be simply invalidated through the thought process, calculation and simulation in the mind.

You don't need to live to 65 years ago to see how working till 65 on a job and relying on retirement savings is quite a terrible choice in planning. Exchanging 5 days for 2 days. This is well-known in the community.

You just need to live the kind of life for some months to figure out this doesn't smell right.

In short, the math doesn't add up.

Another type is something that works well in theory but doesn't live up to its expectation in practice.

In theory, it is not necessary to achieve financial success/personal success with a college degree and some years (2-4 years) of personal work experience.

It is almost a sure waste of time if you are smart, hardworking, and willing to do whatever it takes to learn things online and hustle.

The reality is most don't have the mental fortitude and maturity without the necessary life experience of higher education and work exposure.

I understand this is divisive, but I am just using it to illustrate a point.

The devils are often in the details when something that works in theory often doesn't work in practice.

Your fortitude and skills are a function of your life experience, in this case.

I remember I used to work for a client relationship/servicing role for loans, the software will churn out our daily productivity stats. We have to report to our manager at 6.30pm to do a review to explain why the stats are bad, and what we promise to improve tomorrow. Because in the next day's meeting, she needs to explain to the higher-ups.

Most people would happily quote this as "why a job sucks," but actually, this is the experience most need to cure the later problems of being your own boss, mindlessly strolling Instagram for hours without productivity.

There is a third category. The commonly accept true wisdom that is very true, but people don't pay attention enough to understand its significance.

Almost everyone inside or outside of the business community understands without health. You have nothing.

Recently I went to visit someone 20 years older than me who did a bypass surgery in his early 50s. First time in my life, I saw a 20cm scar right in front of me.

If you ask people do you agree that without health, you have nothing, few will disagree. But most don't live their lives in a way that is congruent with that belief.

The purpose of this post is less about whether you agree with my opinion on a commonly accepted wisdom but more to introduce a framework to evaluate commonly accepted wisdom in a cyber world where broscience and socially accepted hypes/slogans fly around.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have two charcoal grills now.

We just got back from a restaurant we used to like. Now I’m like, why the hell did we think this was good? :rofl:

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Money rarely appears due to a desire for it alone.

People that succeed often want to solve a problem and get rich as a side effect of solving it. Getting rich is rarely their goal.

I started writing online because I thought it could help other people. Money came as a consequence of that. And tbh, I didn't even ask for it.

Passion for money will get you bankrupt.

But passion for creating stuff people want to consume? That will make you money.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
While the unveil is still ongoing, the Apple's new Vision Pro augmented reality device was a big disappointment to me. The last thing I want to do is integrate reality with more icons, screens, and emojis. The stock price also started declining during the unveil, so perhaps the market was disappointed too.
The concept seems pretty interesting to me.

But I think people are now trying to find ways to escape the world of swiping up addictions. And this brings the internet into the reality, so it’s quite the contrary.

A great concept, let’s see whether it sells or not.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Let go of things/event that you have no complete control of. You are wasting huge amount of mental bandwidth and emotional energy.
Well said. People need to stop wasting Time on things are out of their control or reach.

Instead, spend time on improving your knowledge by learning new technologies and things that will help you succeed.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Apparently, Bill Gates is releasing 30 million genetically modified mosquitoes every week into 11 countries.

Why does he get away with all of these things?

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Apparently, Bill Gates is releasing 30 million genetically modified mosquitoes every week into 11 countries.

Why does he get away with all of these things?
Where did you heard about this?

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Money rarely appears due to a desire for it alone.

People that succeed often want to solve a problem and get rich as a side effect of solving it. Getting rich is rarely their goal.

I started writing online because I thought it could help other people. Money came as a consequence of that. And tbh, I didn't even ask for it.

Passion for money will get you bankrupt.

But passion for creating stuff people want to consume? That will make you money.
Some people never realise that. And when they do, it’s too late.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
View attachment 49268

Or realtor.

Or freelancing.
Here in my country, I'm noticing one too many folks hop into...selling Nivana funeral services.

Although the payout can be real lucrative with the moolah from the burial plot payment plan, Buddhist rituals and hospitality...I can't see why people would wanna stick long-term with it. Funerals are a one-use thing.

Well, unless you count rising costs of burial plots (similar to real estate), or their side durian farm investment.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.