The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I wonder if the thought even crossed their minds just how badly they would have been messed up if that dude decided he wanted to spend his energy on hurting them rather than just leaving.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Is there a place to post interesting commercial offers that people here might like? In my case, I sometimes see "eBook bundles" that are on sale for a limited time. I assume such a thread would get overrun with spam, so I am guessing not.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco / Mods, I nominate all the valuable input that has been shared with @JLE, starting with this post, to be moved to his progress thread [here] where I think it will all make more sense in context and be more valuable for other readers who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Will do, I'll get it done today.

Is there a place to post interesting commercial offers that people here might like? In my case, I sometimes see "eBook bundles" that are on sale for a limited time. I assume such a thread would get overrun with spam, so I am guessing not.

You can self-promote or advertise anything here. It gets a few posts a week so not totally overrun with spam.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco / Mods, I nominate all the valuable input that has been shared with @JLE, starting with this post, to be moved to his progress thread [here] where I think it will all make more sense in context and be more valuable for other readers who might find themselves in a similar situation.

The posts with @JLE have been moved to the appropriate thread here:

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Always sucks to have an older friend who just stops supporting or caring about your progress.

Especially when you always had their back with their own goals and plans.

I guess the way it goes, but always stings.
It's human nature.

I only share my "success" with people that are more successful than I am.

But then I also quickly get jealous, and I say it when I am.

Something like: "oh man, I really envy you, I wish I was as successful as you are, damn".

Instantly releases the pressure.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny things happen when you account for inflation... eh?

Retiring early on $1M in 1999 is vastly different than trying to do it in 2023.

Of course this is if you bought at the peak in 2000. Nonetheless, it shows that inflation is always disregarded, or just plain ignored -- and doing so is a big mistake.

IMG_802D9E2DAD40-1.jpeg

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Is this you?

Last edited:

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Do any of the older members here recall any good threads going over the ins and outs of starting a food business? I know the guy with a pic of him in front of his plane had a condiment brand awhile back but I think that was his second or so food biz and it was light on implementation details.

I'm faintly aware I need to have a recipe and hammer that out with a copacker and test that before buying inventory or worrying about warehousing- even before any real setup and marketing- but it's been tough on my end to find good examples of people that started up aside from the barebones stories like "Oh my wife and I weren't feeling our gluten free cookies so we got to work in our kitchen... and (magically) two years later runthe world's largest gluten free rice-flour based cookie brand!".

I've identified a few actual food company owners I'm going to try to cold outreach to to see if they can lend me an ear, don't know if it will actually work but it's some guys that got interviewed (one guy did just say "Yeah someone came up to us with an offer with a copacker and we licensed our branding) and should be open to talking but I just see a really big gap between the idea in my head to implementation

Haven't given up on the breadcrumb trails but just like with sales or even freelancing two years ago, there's this whole cloud of "what in the hell needs to happen, and how can you make it happen efficiently" in the way.
Pretty dogged on this because I had a similar idea to what is now native deodorant (and tbh I still do because I'm not paying 12$/stick of deodorant) in 2018, spent weeks ruining my kitchen making prototypes and got my friends/jiu jitsu buddies to use it and they thought it was a good idea but I had absolutely 0 effin idea what I could do next and it died so I stuck with the dayjob and watched native start up and sell for 100$ mil in the meantime.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Do any of the older members here recall any good threads going over the ins and outs of starting a food business? I know the guy with a pic of him in front of his plane had a condiment brand awhile back but I think that was his second or so food biz and it was light on implementation details.

I'm faintly aware I need to have a recipe and hammer that out with a copacker and test that before buying inventory or worrying about warehousing- even before any real setup and marketing- but it's been tough on my end to find good examples of people that started up aside from the barebones stories like "Oh my wife and I weren't feeling our gluten free cookies so we got to work in our kitchen... and (magically) two years later runthe world's largest gluten free rice-flour based cookie brand!".

I've identified a few actual food company owners I'm going to try to cold outreach to to see if they can lend me an ear, don't know if it will actually work but it's some guys that got interviewed (one guy did just say "Yeah someone came up to us with an offer with a copacker and we licensed our branding) and should be open to talking but I just see a really big gap between the idea in my head to implementation

Haven't given up on the breadcrumb trails but just like with sales or even freelancing two years ago, there's this whole cloud of "what in the hell needs to happen, and how can you make it happen efficiently" in the way.
Pretty dogged on this because I had a similar idea to what is now native deodorant (and tbh I still do because I'm not paying 12$/stick of deodorant) in 2018, spent weeks ruining my kitchen making prototypes and got my friends/jiu jitsu buddies to use it and they thought it was a good idea but I had absolutely 0 effin idea what I could do next and it died so I stuck with the dayjob and watched native start up and sell for 100$ mil in the meantime.

This question might be worth its own thread. I'd love to know more too. I think if I recall right that Dave's Killer Bread got his first commercial customer from the weekend/saturday market.

If I had something desirable food wise I think I would try to start there too. If I had a hit then I'd probably try cold calling grocery stores or even trying to barter in some way. Take a look at my food product and in return I'll take care of your guys landscape maintenance etc.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
This question might be worth its own thread. I'd love to know more too. I think if I recall right that Dave's Killer Bread got his first commercial customer from the weekend/saturday market.

If I had something desirable food wise I think I would try to start there too. If I had a hit then I'd probably try cold calling grocery stores or even trying to barter in some way. Take a look at my food product and in return I'll take care of your guys landscape maintenance etc.
For sure, I think I asked in a general thread a couple months ago and in a specific older thread about food biz before that but there was just crickets- either posted at the wrong time or no one's focused on it (or everyone's focused on freelancing?!?). If I'm able to dig anything up I'll be sure to include it in my progress thread here > EXECUTION - (Slow Burn) Starting and Fastlaning a snack & nutrition brand.

Right now I'm just listening to any interviews on the fitness nutrition space I can dig up on spotify and taking note of owner names. I did absolutely ruin my kitchen with some prototypes but I'm still lost about settling on an ingredient, shelf life, and all the certifications.

For pitching, I've seen about two episodes of people pitching to shark tank that coincidentally also managed to sell to costco but that looks to be a either a distributor connection or a trade show thing- learning about this is probably going to come down to finding a mentor.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Get a thread going. I don’t want to say what his product was, but he was doing good numbers wholesaling his food product rather than retailing it. That has always been my idea too when it comes to products: move volume

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Get a thread going. I don’t want to say what his product was, but he was doing good numbers wholesaling his food product rather than retailing it. That has always been my idea too when it comes to products: move volume
For sure, my end goal has been distribution to stores, but mainly in costco and I've seen some companies try to fill the gap on the shelves but they cant displace a Kirkland product and the other main player in the space I'm targeting.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Long time no see Scot though:(
Hope he's doing swell.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yesterday, in my backyard, I did a mental exercise where I look around and find something within eyesight that could be a hugely profitable business/industry that people don't know about.

At first, I struggled, but then my eyes locked on our local water tower.

Water-Dist_Carl-Junction-MO.jpg

• Industrial, check.
  • Government, check.
  • Expensive parts, check.
  • Ongoing service needed, check.
  • Hard to start, check.
I tried to look up stuff about water towers, and that's when I came upon this website:

Home - New Cooling Tower Construction, Parts, Maintenance, Upgrades

They don't appear to sell water towers, but they do sell this (and other very expensive products)...
Gearbox.png

Eventually, I did come across some water tower servicing websites.

I had to turn to Chat GPT to find out an approximate cost to build a water tower though.

It estimates $100,000 to $500,000 for a smaller 100,000 gallon tank and in the millions for a 500,000+ gallon tower.

What's interesting about water towers is they create a whole sector of jobs and opportunities.
  • Someone has to design them
  • Someone has to set the foundation
  • Someone has to fabricate them
  • Someone has to erect them
  • Someone has to paint them
  • Someone has to insulate them
  • Someone has to inspect them
  • Someone has to service them
  • Someone has to dismantle them
Who?

Maybe it's one very profitable business or maybe it is a whole bunch of profitable businesses.

Anyway, that's my interesting niche business find of the day for your viewing pleasure.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Does anyone here do fly fishing?

I keep thinking about learning and I know zero about it ha.

I must have seen it in some movies years ago - but I now want to take some lessons.

Fly_Casting.jpeg

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK

I vaguely remember a thread about someone who had a food business and wanted to expand it, but I don't think it's what you're looking for, if I recall correctly the OP didn't take any of the advice given and it all fizzled out.

Oh, and wasn't there something about starting a food business in some book other other? I forget who wrote it now. Had some whacky title like "The Big Mouse Trap Release" or something. Probably also not the one you're thinking of. :)

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Western states levied roughly 10% of their GDP in taxes at the end of the 19th century.

By 1965, they levied 25%.

Today, they levy 35% - 45% (average for OECD countries, except US which remains at 25%).

But that's not all. Not only did the share of taxes levied in terms of GDP percentage increased....but the GDP itself jumped!

1677668320397.png

Taxes is like heroin to a country: more is not enough.

They have never received AS MUCH of our money and the situation has never been this crappy.

- Sky high level of debt
- Sky high inflation
- Decreasing life expectancy
- Crumbling infrastructure
- No economic growth
- Rampant insecurity
- Delusional RE prices
- Decadence of the educational system
- Overpopulated prisons
- Slow justice system

At the end of its life, the Roman Empire banned people from moving as everyone was going to low-tax jurisdictions.

The provinces stopped investing and being productive thinking "why would we do stuff if it'll be taken away anyway?"

Same thing is happening now.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Relatable. Working in western companies always beat working for eastern ones.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Yesterday, in my backyard, I did a mental exercise where I look around and find something within eyesight that could be a hugely profitable business/industry that people don't know about.

At first, I struggled, but then my eyes locked on our local water tower.

They don't appear to sell water towers, but they do sell this (and other very expensive products)...
Eventually, I did come across some water tower servicing websites.

I had to turn to Chat GPT to find out an approximate cost to build a water tower though.
It estimates $100,000 to $500,000 for a smaller 100,000 gallon tank and in the millions for a 500,000+ gallon tower.
What's interesting about water towers is they create a whole sector of jobs and opportunities.
  • Someone has to design them
  • Someone has to set the foundation
  • Someone has to fabricate them
  • Someone has to erect them
  • Someone has to paint them
  • Someone has to insulate them
  • Someone has to inspect them
  • Someone has to service them
  • Someone has to dismantle them
Who?

Maybe it's one very profitable business or maybe it is a whole bunch of profitable businesses.
Anyway, that's my interesting niche business find of the day for your viewing pleasure.
The things that we see and take for granted everyday are there for a reason and it's mindblowing that some people can a living off of them- especially once you hear the numbers and the scale.
I literally got off the phone monday with a welding shop owner who did a gate repair for a city park one day and now gets drowned in municipal contracts for gate repair and stuff like benches and gazebos .
We have a lot of weird office parks in North Texas where they look like clusters of oversized single-story houses but they're all business offices and commercial space. Bud of mine got called out to patch a roof on one a few years back, got called two years later to redo a bathroom and interior walls in the building next to the original, and now does hundreds of thousands a year for that property management company's properties repairs/remodels/upkeep in the region.

Granted, your example is something much bigger in scale and effort but is still ubiqituous. It actually got me to thinking about who the hell does the upkeep on park playgrounds and those exercise circuits I've seen getting put up all over in parks in my neck of the woods.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I'm sorry if this is dumb to ask, but can somebody please explain or link/show me what a marketing agency is? I've spend hours on trying to figure this. Like, I've been even watching/reading some advanced guides by accident while not even knowing its basics.
I only know that you solve problems for people and manage stuff.
However, what is the work that you're actually doing?

(Would really appreciate somebody explaining it to me!)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm sorry if this is dumb to ask, but can somebody please explain or link/show me what a marketing agency is? I've spend hours on trying to figure this. Like, I've been even watching/reading some advanced guides by accident while not even knowing its basics.
I only know that you solve problems for people and manage stuff.
However, what is the work that you're actually doing?

(Would really appreciate somebody explaining it to me!)
A marketing agency is a team that helps businesses create and implement their marketing strategy(s).

There's lots of definitions of marketing. I like to think of it as finding out what people want to buy, finding out how to sell it to them profitably, then doing it. Most will disagree with that and will include raising brand awareness and other fluffy stuff. I'm more direct response.

That probably didn't help you though.

What is it you're trying to find out, and why?

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Hey, Andy, thanks anyways!

What is it you're trying to find out, and why?
I just recently learned that something like an SMMA even exists (thanks to @KrisRomer ).
I wanted to see if I could build a business with that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey, Andy, thanks anyways!

I just recently learned that something like an SMMA even exists (thanks to @KrisRomer ).
I wanted to see if I could build a business with that.
There's a Gold thread in here giving steps.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you mean this one? GOLD! - HOT! - MARKETING - Andy's Inbound/Sales Braindump

(I'll just assume you mean that ^ one, unless you correct me).
Thanks! I'll look into it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.