The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you gave 10 people a roadmap to buried treasure, 9 of them would expect you to drive them to the location. And then after you nicely drove them, they then would ask you to grab a shovel and dig.

Pretty much sums up the world of self-development and success these days.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
If you gave 10 people a roadmap to buried treasure, 9 of them would expect you to drive them to the location. And then after you nicely drove them, they then would ask you to grab a shovel and dig.

It's not just self-development - it's everywhere. Laziness and entitlement seem to have been made virtues in our culture.

Nobody wants to take responsibility for their lives. It's someone else's fault. Everyone wants someone else to do the work for them. Everyone wants to do the absolute minimum just to get by.

It's maddening, but also an advantage for those of us who are willing to put in the work, reevaluate ourselves, and ultimately take responsibility for our lives.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Short-bed pickup-trucks have a very limited selection of truck-campers available. If I were to get a truck-camper, I would get one of these "Moonlander" toppers. It's light-weight, bear-proof, super-strong, and requires no setup. They made it a little wide, so a bed can go side-to-side. Builder.

IMG_2159+2.JPG
IMG_2800+2.JPG
DJI_20220604_184408_710.jpg
IMG_3120.JPG

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
It's called BIONIC READING, and it helps you read faster. I do this with important words, apparently it works better with leading letters. Now it has a name.

Bionic_Reading_App-Design_Lesemodus_iPhone_Overlay_E-1-e1654012638729-582x1024.png

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Are there websites that track how many Americans use those Walmart scooters? I want to know how quickly we're approaching Wall-E dystopia.

I also wonder if there are scooters with built in iPads yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It's called BIONIC READING, and it helps you read faster. I do this with important words, apparently it works better with leading letters. Now it has a name.

Bionic_Reading_App-Design_Lesemodus_iPhone_Overlay_E-1-e1654012638729-582x1024.png

I went to the website and found it strange that the advertising copy on the site was not written in "Bionic Reading".

It certainly would not help me read faster, because I have been a speed reader since childhood. I was an avid reader from an early age. I spent a large part of my childhood up to 11 years of age in hospital without visitors for most of the time, and read every volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica at such a rate that the nurses were surprised every time I asked for the next volume.

My assimilation of the subjects that I was reading did not suffer. After I completed that reading stint, a kindly nurse brought me an unabridged copy of the Oxford English dictionary, and that kept me going for a while. It led to me becoming a logophile.

I would find reading more than a very small passage of Bionic Reading very frustrating.

Walter

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

Good analogy for your books.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I went to the website and found it strange that the advertising copy on the site was not written in "Bionic Reading".

It certainly would not help me read faster, because I have been a speed reader since childhood. I was an avid reader from an early age. I spent a large part of my childhood up to 11 years of age in hospital without visitors for most of the time, and read every volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica at such a rate that the nurses were surprised every time I asked for the next volume.

My assimilation of the subjects that I was reading did not suffer. After I completed that reading stint, a kindly nurse brought me an unabridged copy of the Oxford English dictionary, and that kept me going for a while. It led to me becoming a logophile.

I would find reading more than a very small passage of Bionic Reading very frustrating.

Walter

Walter, you sound like you need a hug.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Guys I am worried.
Anyways
Hi

I weighed today and I frightening light, about 58kgs.

I believe I need to add more weight.

I think of gym and food.

But I have no experience in these things.

I resolved to get gym time and eat in some way.

Any suggestions.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
If you’re on a sales call

“I don’t see why not”

Does not mean I know what I’m doing and it will work

It means I’ll try but if it doesn’t work I won’t have a clue why it didn’t work or how to make it work

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
@MTF We miss you.

How's your adventure in Australia going?

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
First time back on the forum after a couple weeks away (vacation, then the upheaval of moving my fiancee into my house) and the first thread I clicked on is the "You'll never be rich, so don't try, just want less" one. Fired me up to get back to work. F*ck that guy, I'll never be satisfied with a mediocre life.
I had ignored that one initially (why the f*k would I want to read something like that?) but then curiosity of seeing it got the better of me. Glad I read it. Similar reaction to you.

F*ck mediocrity and lowering expectations.

I love the options that having money gives me (we're putting a niece through private school right now and soon will be doing the same for her sister, and I can't tell you how good to be able to do that feels). I want more for me, my family and anyone or anything we care about.

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark

Pretty much sums up the world in general ;)

I might be a bit biased in my way of seeing the world, but it seems like anything is build on shortcuts.
- If you want to be a pro-athlete; here is some products to help you get stronger, faster, better (without the training?)
- If you want to be smarter; here’s some books but you only need to read the summaries (skip the boring parts?)
- if you want to learn a new skill; here’s an app that helps you and reminds you to do the work (so we don’t have to motivate ourselves)
- If you want to be a business person; here is a guide for you (so you can do exactly as i did instead of try and fail yourself)
- if you want to loose weight; here is some medicine (so you dont have to work out or eat healthy)

Im hoping that being a part of the unscripted revolution we can make more people see that taking the steps ourselves often leads to much happier lives not only for ourselves but the ones around us… Im grateful for the fact that i was shown that there is a better way to live my life than just surviving

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
A lot of little startups are expected to run out of money later this year.

"a new survey has found that 81% of early-stage startups are facing a failure in 2023 because—as of the end of October—they had less than 12 months of capital left to keep going because VC funds turned the spigot off last year on a flood of seed funding."

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Today's Fastlane Idea:

Can you all send money for me?

Please set up PayPal account for me and compensate fees when you deposit.

I await your response.
And? Did it work?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A 3 decades long friend today told me, that her daughter writes books.
She does it for fun and uploads on a platform for free.
She has allready about 30 books written and wants poor people read it, too. So she doesn’t want to take money.
As I told my friend, that this could make her daughter a living, she said, she will talk to her daughter.
What a life changing thing that could probably be, if she just took a bit for the books.

Skroob

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
I had ignored that one initially (why the f*k would I want to read something like that?) but then curiosity of seeing it got the better of me. Glad I read it. Similar reaction to you.

F*ck mediocrity and lowering expectations.

I love the options that having money gives me (we're putting a niece through private school right now and soon will be doing the same for her sister, and I can't tell you how good to be able to do that feels). I want more for me, my family and anyone or anything we care about.
I did paycheck-to-paycheck for a long time. Too long, really. It's nonstop stress.

Currently, I'm in the situation that thread advocates. Comfortable. I have enough liquid cash in the bank to cover almost a year of expenses with no income if need be. I have a nice house and a stable job that pays well and gives me enough flexibility to live my life.

But it's not enough. Because I can't do everything I want. I still have to save up for a new car for my fiancee. I still haven't bought the new Mac setup I want, because I can't justify it. I still have to count vacation days.

I need millions in the bank. That's what enables me to live the life I want. And I won't be accepting anything less.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Curious about sleep rings / wearables.

My problem is that I have two states of waking up in the morning: fully awake and refreshed, and a level groggy that actual zombies would find concerning.

My schedule, diet and exercise are all fairly static, so I'm assuming the major determining factor is what state of sleep my alarm wakes me up in. I believe I've heard that some of these wearables can detect your REM state and adjust your alarm dynamically to wake you up when it thinks you're in the lightest stages of sleep.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Do they work? A gimmick?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I did paycheck-to-paycheck for a long time. Too long, really. It's nonstop stress.

Currently, I'm in the situation that thread advocates. Comfortable. I have enough liquid cash in the bank to cover almost a year of expenses with no income if need be. I have a nice house and a stable job that pays well and gives me enough flexibility to live my life.

But it's not enough. Because I can't do everything I want. I still have to save up for a new car for my fiancee. I still haven't bought the new Mac setup I want, because I can't justify it. I still have to count vacation days.

I need millions in the bank. That's what enables me to live the life I want. And I won't be accepting anything less.
If I sold everything I have and rearranged it / reinvested it, I could retire right now ... if it was just me. (This is on a super lean budget)

But I just got engaged. So I have a whole new set of circumstances. And I want to be a dad eventually... someday. Not right now.

The whole FIRE, quit your job, and sit at home watching cartoons thing doesn't sound very appealing. It sounds like dying. And eating the bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skroob

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
If I sold everything I have and rearranged it / reinvested it, I could retire right now ... if it was just me. At age 27.

But I just got engaged. So I have a whole new set of circumstances. And I want to be a dad eventually... someday. Not right now.

The whole FIRE, quit your job, and sit at home watching cartoons thing doesn't sound very appealing. It sounds like dying. And eating the bugs.
Congrats on the engagement!

We're in this one together, my friend. Texas and Florida. Neither one of us will be eating the bugs :rofl:

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
I just saw something that Powell is stating he's mad that employment is still strong so the fed will want to raise interest rates again and at a faster/larger pace than before through 2023.
Do the fed directors just hate americans?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
I was reading a book about this topic a while ago by Elizabeth Gilbert. She describes how ideas are an energetic life-form looking for a human partner. If it thinks that you can do the job, it will pay you a visit. But, if it notices that you won't collaborate to the execution, it will find someone else. It will not wait for you forever.

Now I know that this is magical realism, but it always stuck with me in a way to remind me that if I don't take action, someone else will.
Nice

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
A lot of little startups are expected to run out of money later this year.

"a new survey has found that 81% of early-stage startups are facing a failure in 2023 because—as of the end of October—they had less than 12 months of capital left to keep going because VC funds turned the spigot off last year on a flood of seed funding."

On a macro level, boomers retiring worldwide means they are transferring assets into less risky investments, which means overall less available capital flowing through the markets.

I don't expect the days of easy money to come back anytime soon. VC money drying up is just the canary in the coal mine.

On top of that, there's a tightening of the labor market, leading to higher labor costs.

A lot more companies are going to get exposed. Not just startups. I'm wondering what other techniques big public tech companies are going to use to increase revenue.

But if you run the kind of business that profitably provides value, this shouldn't be much of an issue for you. CENTS is going to be appreciated like never before.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@MTF We miss you.

How's your adventure in Australia going?

Thanks @heavy_industry.

I'm in the Cook Islands now, on vacation from traveling :rofl:

Untitled-1.jpg

I was actually in Australia only for 9 days in the beginning of January (in Perth; what a great city), and then all the time in various parts of New Zealand (both North Island and South Island, from surf beaches to rainforests to glaciers).

I'm going back to Australia next week and will be there for about 7 weeks or so, split over three regions. Looking forward to going back to civilization and my favorite country in the world.

I've been learning quite a lot, both about myself as well as the world. I love getting stimulated, trying new things, and seeing so many business opportunities in other countries. Life is so much better when you're in a place you actually enjoy and where there's tons of money flowing around (as I noticed in Perth).

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Thanks @heavy_industry.

I'm in the Cook Islands now, on vacation from traveling :rofl:

View attachment 47473

I was actually in Australia only for 9 days in the beginning of January (in Perth; what a great city), and then all the time in various parts of New Zealand (both North Island and South Island, from surf beaches to rainforests to glaciers).

I'm going back to Australia next week and will be there for about 7 weeks or so, split over three regions. Looking forward to going back to civilization and my favorite country in the world.

I've been learning quite a lot, both about myself as well as the world. I love getting stimulated, trying new things, and seeing so many business opportunities in other countries. Life is so much better when you're in a place you actually enjoy and where there's tons of money flowing around (as I noticed in Perth).
Awesome man!

Enjoy your vacation! Traveling can indeed be a lot of hard work. :rofl:
(especially if you're used to sitting in a room and working for weeks on end)

Just checked this island on the map, it's basically the middle of the Pacific Ocean lol. The landscape is amazing!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.