The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
For those that haven't been keeping up or aren't aware of the significance of the James Webb telescope, first take a glance at this image illustrating the relative position of the imaging device with respect to the Earth and the Sun:

iu

The telescope will be orbiting the sun at a fixed distance from the earth. It's orbit is such that it will always be hidden behind the earth, always outside of direct contact with the rays of the sun. With it being hidden from sunlight, it will be able to observe frequencies of EM oscillations never imaged before. What does this mean in practice?

Consider the electromagnetic spectrum, and what tiny sliver of it we can observe with the naked eye. Now consider what appearance the reflection of the invisible oscillations across the universe might look like?

iu

For example consider UV images of the sun, and just how different they appear than it's sight from the perspective of visible light

iu

It simply blows my mind trying to think what shapes might appear from oscillations that are otherwise hidden from the EM pollution of the sun. I like to imagine there are "ghosts" out there across the universe, or possibly a fabric of space-time that we couldn't possibly visualize before because our observations always included the waves emitted from the sun.

The telescope being hidden from this light allows us to observe unimaginable shapes. It is such an exciting time to be alive!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
View attachment 44298

I might be in the minority here but I consider lawns an abomination. So many resources are wasted on mowing lawns, watering them, keeping them green, etc. that it's unbelievable. I sometimes feel like I'm from a different planet when I wonder how people can't see how ridiculous and destructive lawns are.

"Fun" fact about lawns:

Also:
I used to like lawns and will admit that even now I can't help but think they look "nice and tidy", but I completely agree that the principle behind them is awful and that the world would be a better place if all lawns were more of a haven for wildlife. My best friend deliberately doesn't mow his lawn, it looks a "mess" to some but it's fantastic for wildlife.

There is a slight increase in people here in the UK not mowing and having their lawns more natural, however we're talking such small numbers still that you wouldn't notice anything from walking round and looking, but who knows, in time maybe the trend will gather pace.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
After 11 long years my wife is now officially a Canadian!
Eww. Why?

You should have become a Mexican instead. :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View attachment 44298

I might be in the minority here but I consider lawns an abomination. So many resources are wasted on mowing lawns, watering them, keeping them green, etc. that it's unbelievable. I sometimes feel like I'm from a different planet when I wonder how people can't see how ridiculous and destructive lawns are.

"Fun" fact about lawns:

Also:
Dude, seriously, you’re against lawns now? You’re lucky you don’t live next to me or I’d glyphosate your shitheap. Every day it seems like I uncover a new “important” fringe belief. Soon my lawn will be banned.

Those resources you speak of are my resources. I pay for all of them and they are mine to “waste” on my lawn as I please. I also back up to a golf course which is just a giant lawn that I also enjoy and pay for. But… Is it waste if I decide it’s worth it? No, because I’m the authority on the use of my resources.

If you’re seriously up in arms against lawns right now, you have way too much time on your hands… Which is probably part of the problem with your depression.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For those that haven't been keeping up or aren't aware of the significance of the James Webb telescope, first take a glance at this image illustrating the relative position of the imaging device with respect to the Earth and the Sun:

iu

The telescope will be orbiting the sun at a fixed distance from the earth. It's orbit is such that it will always be hidden behind the earth, always outside of direct contact with the rays of the sun. With it being hidden from sunlight, it will be able to observe frequencies of EM oscillations never imaged before. What does this mean in practice?

Consider the electromagnetic spectrum, and what tiny sliver of it we can observe with the naked eye. Now consider what appearance the reflection of the invisible oscillations across the universe might look like?

iu

For example consider UV images of the sun, and just how different they appear than it's sight from the perspective of visible light

iu

It simply blows my mind trying to think what shapes might appear from oscillations that are otherwise hidden from the EM pollution of the sun. I like to imagine there are "ghosts" out there across the universe, or possibly a fabric of space-time that we couldn't possibly visualize before because our observations always included the waves emitted from the sun.

The telescope being hidden from this light allows us to observe unimaginable shapes. It is such an exciting time to be alive!

Much thanks for the background, I think we're going to be in for some incredible imagery, with plenty of new discoveries, and perhaps, some old paradigms disproven. I'm excited for it!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Dude, seriously, you’re against lawns now? You’re lucky you don’t live next to me or I’d glyphosate your shitheap. Every day it seems like I uncover a new “important” fringe belief. Soon my lawn will be banned.

Those resources you speak of are my resources. I pay for all of them and they are mine to “waste” on my lawn as I please. I also back up to a golf course which is just a giant lawn that I also enjoy and pay for. But… Is it waste if I decide it’s worth it? No, because I’m the authority on the use of my resources.

If you’re seriously up in arms against lawns right now, you have way too much time on your hands… Which is probably part of the problem with your depression.
But @MTF hasn’t suggested banning your lawn. Just like you are entitled to think there’s nothing wrong with having a lawn and trying to convince him of it, he’s also entitled to think the opposite and try to convince you of it.

Nothing bad unless one of you tries to enforce his beliefs on the other through public polciy, that’s when we start having problems. For example, there’s no problem from the Christian community if gays want to get married, but there is a problem if they want Christian priests to be obliged to marry them.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
But @MTF hasn’t suggested banning your lawn. Just like you are entitled to think there’s nothing wrong with having a lawn and trying to convince him of it, he’s also entitled to think the opposite and try to convince you of it.

Nothing bad unless one of you tries to enforce his beliefs on the other through public polciy, that’s when we start having problems. For example, there’s no problem from the Christian community if gays want to get married, but there is a problem if they want Christian priests to be obliged to marry them.

Ok by your exact standard then, I have every right to vehemently support lawns the way I did in my post.

That makes your shaming of me, but not him, hypocritical.

Furthermore, while someone may have the right to believe nonsense, that opinion isn’t entitled to my respect. Me and @MTF get into it sometimes, and that’s ok. We are friends that see the world very differently.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Careful @Kak , soon our farts will become subject to carbon tax to save the planet! Hold it in. :rofl:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Canada’s top 10 cities:

1) Victoria, B.C.
2) Kelowna, B.C.
3) Kingston, ON
4) Niagara Falls, ON
5) Waterloo, ON
6) North Vancouver, B.C.
7) Burlington, ON
8) Guelph, ON
9) Fredericton, NB
10) Lethbridge, AB

It’s nice to see two cities where we do most of our work be #1 and #2 respectively! Love reading this as validation of our own actions.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Exponential growth my friend!! What we have going up into space now vs even a few decades ago is unreal. In a few decades more these are going to look like children's toys.

We live in the greatest technological time that has ever been, and it's increasing exponentially. Thinking about that just blows my mind!

@Kak your children might be enjoying entrepreneurship in space!

I'm wondering what will be next. I think we'll see permanent bases on other planets within our life time.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
There is a slight increase in people here in the UK not mowing and having their lawns more natural, however we're talking such small numbers still that you wouldn't notice anything from walking round and looking, but who knows, in time maybe the trend will gather pace.
I started trying to do "no mow May", but they went so untidy I had to give in. I'm thinking I might just let the back one go a bit wild and just try to keep the front one tidy, because that's the one that other people will see and judge me on.

At least it's better than paving over the whole lot, for a few reasons.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Mistakes Were Madeby Caroll Tavris, Elliot Aronson

The scientific method consists of the use of procedures designed to show not that our predictions and hypotheses are right, but that they might be wrong. Scientific reasoning is useful to anyone in any job because it makes us face the possibility, even the dire reality, that we were mistaken. It forces us to confront our self-justifications and put them on public display for others to puncture. At its core, therefore, science is a form of arrogance control.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

Specifically:
"Those resources you speak of are my resources. I pay for all of them and they are mine to “waste” on my lawn as I please."

Philosophically, are they all your resources?
I understand that practically they are yours, as you have access to them and can afford them.

With the current rates of droughts and the increasing difficulty in finding potable water, are we suggesting that only the people who can afford to pay higher prices should have access to that water?

I recognize that you are a staunch capitalist, but is there any resource that is not subject to that viewpoint?

Story time:
I was out in Colorado visiting my brother recently, and it just stood out to me that almost everyone waters their lawn every day. In a state where (if you believe the government at Colorado) 83% of the state is in a moderate drought, I couldn't get over the disconnect of literally paying to throw water away.

I checked the rates in one CO town (I didn't cherry pick, it was just the first town that showed up when I googled for historical water rates). From 2020 to 2024, the rate schedule shows an increase in the water price by 28% (total, not per year).
A 28% increase over 4 years for a substance that is vital for human life.

I have similar concerns on food and shelter. Give it all away for free? No, I'm not in favor of that.
Should there be some kind of minimum standard? I think that's a valid question, but I don't currently have an answer.

I think often the difference in opinion comes from one's overall view of people. I think that people are generally good, and if there is some baseline of their needs being met that they don't have to stress about, the overall majority of people will still be productive members of society.
There are others that think if you provide a baseline of needs, then people will immediately stop trying to better themselves and just be a drain on society.

Is there data to support either of these conclusions? I would be very interested to read any studies if someone has seen any.

I recognize that on this forum I am considered liberal, but I have to wonder about the eventual outcomes of our current path.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Specifically:
"Those resources you speak of are my resources. I pay for all of them and they are mine to “waste” on my lawn as I please."

Philosophically, are they all your resources?
I understand that practically they are yours, as you have access to them and can afford them.

With the current rates of droughts and the increasing difficulty in finding potable water, are we suggesting that only the people who can afford to pay higher prices should have access to that water?

I recognize that you are a staunch capitalist, but is there any resource that is not subject to that viewpoint?

Story time:
I was out in Colorado visiting my brother recently, and it just stood out to me that almost everyone waters their lawn every day. In a state where (if you believe the government at Colorado) 83% of the state is in a moderate drought, I couldn't get over the disconnect of literally paying to throw water away.

I checked the rates in one CO town (I didn't cherry pick, it was just the first town that showed up when I googled for historical water rates). From 2020 to 2024, the rate schedule shows an increase in the water price by 28% (total, not per year).
A 28% increase over 4 years for a substance that is vital for human life.

I have similar concerns on food and shelter. Give it all away for free? No, I'm not in favor of that.
Should there be some kind of minimum standard? I think that's a valid question, but I don't currently have an answer.

I think often the difference in opinion comes from one's overall view of people. I think that people are generally good, and if there is some baseline of their needs being met that they don't have to stress about, the overall majority of people will still be productive members of society.
There are others that think if you provide a baseline of needs, then people will immediately stop trying to better themselves and just be a drain on society.

Is there data to support either of these conclusions? I would be very interested to read any studies if someone has seen any.

I recognize that on this forum I am considered liberal, but I have to wonder about the eventual outcomes of our current path.
Or the even worse examples of companies taking basically all the free water of the people and selling it back to them in plastic bottles.

But in taking the water from the source and then bottling it, Nestlé/BlueTriton has been accused of depleting the waterways and aquifers of the regions that it operates in. Case in point: In 2017, Nestle pumped more than 130 million gallons of water a year — about 4.8 million bottles of water a day — from wells in northwestern Michigan. In exchange for that, it paid $200 a year in fees. And whenever the company drew water from wells owned by the city, it paid a rate of $3.50 for every thousand gallons.

Jeff Ostahowski, the vice chair of a water conservation group, told The New York Times: "Having anybody take away some of the very best water that should be going into the creeks and the Muskegon River and eventually Lake Michigan, that's a big deal. That Nestlé does it for free? That's just crazy."

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/717227/nestles-water-controversy-explained/?utm_campaign=clip”

Or Bill gates who is now the largest owner of farmland in USA. If he decides to stop farming it and the people run out of food, is that his right because he owns that land?

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
Does anybody know compact electric bottle chiller that will cool a bottle of wine to the needed temp exactly and evenly? I’ve managed to find only cheap gadgets from aliexpress with poor reviews and some expensive ones that look good, but are discontinued.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Dude, seriously, you’re against lawns now?

Man I hate lawns too. I was so pissed at my HOA when I got a new construction house. I had a front yard of dirt. They forced me to put in a lawn, trees and plants. Then I had to put in irrigation. Then I had to water it. But in drought weeks in AZ I had to limit the water. Plants died and I had to plant new ones. Then when the lawn and plants grew too much I got HOA violations for a messy lawn. What a cluster F*ck.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
What did Charlie Munger say... Something like "if your business transports fuel by rail, you have to be ready for a certain amount of explosions"
That's great. I wonder how much time him and Warren sit around coming up with lines like that.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Man I hate lawns too. I was so pissed at my HOA when I got a new construction house. I had a front yard of dirt. They forced me to put in a lawn, trees and plants. Then I had to put in irrigation. Then I had to water it. But in drought weeks in AZ I had to limit the water. Plants died and I had to plant new ones. Then when the lawn and plants grew too much I got HOA violations for a messy lawn. What a cluster F*ck.
I always hear about HOA from USA. Is this a normal thing for most places?

The only places I have ever seen HOA in Canada are if you live on a golf course, a condo or apartment complex, or live in one of those brownstone style houses. 95% of homes you can do whatever you want, and there is always "that guy" who lives on the street and it looks like Freddy Krueger lives there.

My old house was awesome. My neighbors were awesome, but the guy who lived on the corner... He literally used pallets as a fence, and ran a recycling business and always had old washers and dryers and fridges just strewn about his yard. He had an old a$$ truck with this big custom metal gate thing around the bed of it so that he could cram it like 8' tall of literal junk. The best part was he was on the corner to the main drag and entrance to the street, so it was impossible to get in without seeing his place. Ahhh, good times.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The only places I have ever seen HOA in Canada are if you live on a golf course, a condo or apartment complex, or live in one of those brownstone style houses. 95% of homes you can do whatever you want, and there is always "that guy" who lives on the street and it looks like Freddy Krueger lives there.

My old house was awesome. My neighbors were awesome, but the guy who lived on the corner... He literally used pallets as a fence, and ran a recycling business and always had old washers and dryers and fridges just strewn about his yard. He had an old a$$ truck with this big custom metal gate thing around the bed of it so that he could cram it like 8' tall of literal junk. The best part was he was on the corner to the main drag and entrance to the street, so it was impossible to get in without seeing his place. Ahhh, good times.
yeah unfortunately HOAs are becoming more and more common in suburban neighborhoods. A lot of people like them for the reasons you described. I prefer a messy "free" neighborhood over an HOA-controlled neighborhood. There is something political/philosophical about this, and it's very personal.

I would pay more for a nice house in a neighborhood without an HOA. I despise HOAs... Lol

If you own property, you should be able to do what you want with it... Hopefully you have enough space that you aren't bothered too much by your neighbors. Some houses are built on these super tiny lots though, which is just bad design.

Gavingonz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2022
I've been wanting an apple watch for years now but have been refraining. Is it worth getting or am I trying to justify my consumerism?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

We have way too many of them. They're part of the suburban development concept in use here. It starts out as "who will repair the wall around the subdivision?!" But with the formation of an HOA, the trolls of the world are attracted to the board, where they make and enforce inane rules, and instead of repairing walls they harass people for painting their soffits the wrong shade of off-white, or evict old ladies for not repairing their mailboxes.

"That guy" might be a neighborhood nuisance, but the enforcers of the HOA aesthetic are often just as much of a nuisance. The guy eventually moves away or expires, but the HOA will still be harassing property owners when the sun expands into a red giant.

Last edited:

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

Sounds more like it should be "Man I hate HOAs"

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I've been wanting an apple watch for years now but have been refraining. Is it worth getting or am I trying to justify my consumerism?
I bought the best one they had and wore it twice. Hated it. I don’t know anyone who wears one and I know a few who have tried.

There’s no situation where you would have the watch and not your phone and it’s 10000x more annoying to do anything on your watch than the phone so it’s basically pointless.

It actually made me angry, you get a notification and your phone rings and your watch rings and you’re doing something but now you’re looking at your watch and trying to use a tiny screen and button to read an email then you give up and grab your phone anyway and it was just like I made my phone 10x more disruptive and intrusive and annoying.

Normally I can just ignore my phone but the watch you can’t. You could be mid set at the gym and the thing rings and you look at it and now your out of the zone thinking about whatever the notification said.

Also you can’t sync it to your car stereo so don’t think you’ll be driving anywhere with no phone only a watch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.