The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So? Who gives a shit?

I think the point is, they aren't "two losers" -- they are in the top 1% of the 1% in their chosen profession, which is YouTube content. I think that's impressive, regardless if I agree with their message or approach.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
I think the point is, they aren't "two losers" -- they are in the top 1% of the 1% in their chosen profession, which is YouTube content. I think that's impressive, regardless if I agree with their message or approach.
The more it matters who said it, the less it actually matters.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Someone compete with this product.

6A0F0EA0-68B6-4CCC-B1E6-0882FBC92F87.jpeg

From what I can tell they are the only game in town and this is a super simple design.

Less than $50 worth of PVC and fabric assembled properly = $500…

Make a seated one, for a small desk for podcasters…

I’m dead serious. Someone who is looking for a business to start, but doesn’t know where to begin… Go sell $500k of these next year. Or I’m going to.

Get a fine toothed commercial chop saw. Get a Juki sewing machine, some sandpaper, packing materials, some PVC and fabric.

You could literally have 10 of these at Amazon FBA within 2 weeks for less than 3k. Sell. Rinse. Repeat. Hire.

If you want me to hold your hand, I’ll even do it for 20%.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

View attachment 41193

From what I can tell they are the only game in town and this is a super simple design.

I bought a similar homemade setup (moving blankets + workshop clamps) at Harbor Freight when I voiced my audiobook, and they worked well.. I only needed three of them, @ 8 each (Retail) that's only $24 in cloth.

Yes, someone's making a fortune. The material cost on this has to be less than < $75 at wholesale.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I bought a similar homemade setup (moving blankets + workshop clamps) at Harbor Freight when I voiced my audiobook, and they worked well.. I only needed three of them, @ 8 each (Retail) that's only $24 in cloth.

Yes, someone's making a fortune. The material cost on this has to be less than < $75 at wholesale.

I love harbor freight so much.

Everyone always says, “they’re just shitty Chinese tools,” but once I realized that pretty much all tools, short of Snap On and Mac, are also “shitty Chinese tools” I might as well just buy them there. They have a great warranty that I use regularly.

Power tools are another story though.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018

View attachment 41194

I’m dead serious. Someone who is looking for a business to start, but doesn’t know where to begin… Go sell $500k of these next year. Or I’m going to.

Get a fine toothed commercial chop saw. Get a Juki sewing machine, some sandpaper, packing materials, some PVC and fabric.

You could literally have 10 of these at Amazon FBA within 2 weeks for less than 3k. Sell. Rinse. Repeat. Hire.

If you want me to hold your hand, I’ll even do it for 20%.

Harry Houdini called! He wants his booth back. :)

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My MSI 15" laptop with a RTX 3070 mobile in it is insane. GP66. It's smaller form, lighter, insanely powerful and in every way better than my old work dell laptop. I got one with this GPU in it so that I can mine on it and pay itself off, so essentially it's going to be a free laptop.

I can't wait until the 40 series GPU laptops are out!

My biggest complaint is that since this is the "bare bones" MSI laptop, it has the smaller battery, so life isn't fantastic. The keyboard also is not quite as nice as my old ASUS laptop, but I am getting used to it

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
517%
Jul 9, 2018

Saw this on the YT home page - it is a pretty funny take on Gary V ha.

Lol, so they don't know who Garyvee is and decided to mock him based on few clips?

His company does the marketing campaigns for Unilever, Pepsico, KraftHeinz, Subway, Johnson's and few other biggies. So, he isn't some random social media influencer hyping up the masses to sell course.

For sure he contradicts a bit because he loves to hear himself talk.

He advises people to do what makes them happy (follow your passion) and at the same sentence he would tell you to give what the market wants and then finish the talk by saying "watch what I do, not what I say" (lol).

To me, he is the epitome of "give what the market wants" and "pay attention to what people are paying attention to". I believe this made him to be an early investor in Uber, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and the rest.

Though he runs a multi-million $ company, he goes garage sailing to show that "I don't know how to make money" is just an excuse:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyg1G97_Zl0

There's a lot to learn from him and a few to discard.

EDIT: He didn't invest in Uber - I Passed on investing in Uber, here's why

Last edited:

valuepoint1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 4, 2019
You guys are taking that video on Gary V a bit too seriously. They're making fun of him, which is way different than saying "Gary V is not successful". Just like people make fun of Seth Rogen, even though he's an A-list millionaire Hollywood actor.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I hope everyone with VAs in the Philippines has checked on them. I didn’t even think to until my customer service lady messaged me and apologised because she wouldn’t be able to get to the email until Monday as she had no internet.

Turns out her entire house had been destroyed, she sent me photos, I feel so bad and the first thing I thought to do was how can I help her.

Which made me think..

There’s comments above about Amazon being capitalist and so great and everyone should just quit if they don’t like it, I totally disagree, you have to be sick in the head to treat your workers like Jeff does. Who would honestly run a company that way and be proud of it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
0E55E223-A6AE-40A2-86F0-3F82AC76243C.jpeg

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
ixbwkubrg2681.jpg

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
When I started this thread, I had no idea it would become one of my favorites on the forum. It’s really nice to check in to just see what’s on everyone’s mind and what their dealing with at the moment, and it gives me a nice feeling of being around the water cooler, or in a break room with a bunch of colleagues. Well done! :smile:

I generally agree with this, the key wording being "most people", but not the people here.

I seem to change every few years. Don't think I'd recognize 25, 30, 35, or 40 year old me compared to me today.

Not recognizing your younger self is a sign of growth.
I tried a mental exercise at age 45 and wondered where in life I would be 5 years ahead. I tried to recall my thoughts of the future at ages 20,25,30,35 and 40 and each instance I was way out, by far.Looking back now at 68 I've still been off by a big margin, cést la vie. Has anyone else found this or has anyone here had a 5 year outlook that actually worked out?

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
This is my life lol. It drives my wife insane. Mrs: "Can we get takeout for dinner?"
Me: "sorry love, I am broke. We need to eat leftovers"
Me 10 minutes later: "hey I found $10,000 worth of GPU and I am heading out to pick them up!"

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I tried a mental exercise at age 45 and wondered where in life I would be 5 years ahead. I tried to recall my thoughts of the future at ages 20,25,30,35 and 40 and each instance I was way out, by far.Looking back now at 68 I've still been off by a big margin, cést la vie. Has anyone else found this or has anyone here had a 5 year outlook that actually worked out?
I've been way off more often than not. I still do good things and I'm glad I do them, but plenty of things seem more interesting or easier or better than they end up being. Also, estimating time to completion, for just about anything, is a task fraught with peril.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Funerals seem too short. One hour. Two. Is that really enough time to pay respect to the memory of an entire life?
A funeral is a final goodbye to the physical manifestation of the dead person. Not the end of a memory.

That's how I see it.

Here in Italy (and I assume most of Europe) we have specific days to commemorate the dead. The 1st of November is a national holiday, and it's tradition to visit the tombs of your loved ones who passed away.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Funerals seem too short. One hour. Two. Is that really enough time to pay respect to the memory of an entire life?

Funeral is an event. Grief is a process. You pay respect the rest of your life. A funeral is IMO often a terribly traumatic event designed to make you feel even worse (at least in Christian tradition).

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I see a need and a unique biz idea. Lots of ways to make this one last. Maybe an online database with bios, info, etc honoring departed family members

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I see a need and a unique biz idea. Lots of ways to make this one last. Maybe an online database with bios, info, etc honoring departed family members

Might help if I gave context for my thoughts.

My grandfather died several years ago. His funeral was an event as @MTF described. People showed up, walked by the casket, and left. I didn't even walk by because I didn't want to remember my grandfather like that. I wanted to remember the living, breathing version. The person who smelled like an ashtray. The person who always asked if I wanted a Coke and a candy. He was a butcher. He liked to build and fly model airplanes. He was a chauvinist, but I think that was a misperception of poor social habits formed over years of living alone. This was my grandfather.

But who was this man?

Both of my parents are alive, and I have memories of them. My memories. But who are these people? It's as if they didn't exist before I was born, and yet, they lived a lifetime before I came into this world. They rarely share anything about their past, and I don't know if it's because their past wasn't worth talking about or because they've just never taken time to document it. Both of my parents have terrible health habits. I expect their time will fall short of their own expectations, and I fear that they will take their lives to the grave. Even asking them about different things has barely resulted in a trace, and I don't think they will take the time to document their memoirs (although I will try to get them to). It's ironic how even these thoughts are rooted in a selfishness about my own desire to know them. Maybe they don't have to share.

Funerals give us a chance to show up and ponder our memories about how the deceased fit into our lives. We think about the things they said to us. What they looked like to us. How they behaved around us. Then we leave, and tuck those fleeting memories into the back of our thoughts, only to bubble up on certain restless nights, or when some piece of sensory information triggers the concept of a memory. A funeral seems like the right time to celebrate an individual's life. Not just your memories of that person, but the essence of who they were. Unfortunately, I think a great deal of that data is just lost. Millions of lives are just gone, almost completely erased from history if it weren't for the recollections of others who knew them or the power of modern science.

Don't know why this was on my mind. There are thousands of tools for documenting life. I guess I just find it a little troubling that funerals are a couple of quick hours to support our own sense of self-concept when it seems like they could be an entire day or more of revelation about a person who lived an entire lifetime, and who touched countless other lives in different ways. Only those closest to the deceased are usually affected over long periods. My father is the only person of three brothers who spoke at my grandfather's funeral. He is the only person I am aware of who shares memories about him. To everyone else, my grandfather is just gone.

Fawk, sorry. Not trying to get so dark. Just a thought. Damn.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Might help if I gave context for my thoughts.

My grandfather died several years ago. His funeral was an event as @MTF described. People showed up, walked by the casket, and left. I didn't even walk by because I didn't want to remember my grandfather like that. I wanted to remember the living, breathing version. The person who smelled like an ashtray. The person who always asked if I wanted a Coke and a candy. He was a butcher. He liked to build and fly model airplanes. He was a chauvinist, but I think that was a misperception of poor social habits formed over years of living alone. This was my grandfather.

But who was this man?

Both of my parents are alive, and I have memories of them. My memories. But who are these people? It's as if they didn't exist before I was born, and yet, they lived a lifetime before I came into this world. They rarely share anything about their past, and I don't know if it's because their past wasn't worth talking about or because they've just never taken time to document it. Both of my parents have terrible health habits. I expect their time will fall short of their own expectations, and I fear that they will take their lives to the grave. Even asking them about different things has barely resulted in a trace, and I don't think they will take the time to document their memoirs (although I will try to get them to). It's ironic how even these thoughts are rooted in a selfishness about my own desire to know them. Maybe they don't have to share.

Funerals give us a chance to show up and ponder our memories about how the deceased fit into our lives. We think about the things they said to us. What they looked like to us. How they behaved around us. Then we leave, and tuck those fleeting memories into the back of our thoughts, only to bubble up on certain restless nights, or when some piece of sensory information triggers the concept of a memory. A funeral seems like the right time to celebrate an individual's life. Not just your memories of that person, but the essence of who they were. Unfortunately, I think a great deal of that data is just lost. Millions of lives are just gone, almost completely erased from history if it weren't for the recollections of others who knew them or the power of modern science.

Don't know why this was on my mind. There are thousands of tools for documenting life. I guess I just find it a little troubling that funerals are a couple of quick hours to support our own sense of self-concept when it seems like they could be an entire day or more of revelation about a person who lived an entire lifetime, and who touched countless other lives in different ways. Only those closest to the deceased are usually affected over long periods. My father is the only person of three brothers who spoke at my grandfather's funeral. He is the only person I am aware of who shares memories about him. To everyone else, my grandfather is just gone.

Fawk, sorry. Not trying to get so dark. Just a thought. Damn.
Off topic thread so I'm sure it's okay as long as this is brief, but this is why people develop faith in a higher power, in all different ways.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. Maybe you'll see him again and learn more about him?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

On the business side, how do you draw this information out of the individual? Probably quite a bit of opportunity whether it is digital journaling software, crowd-sourcing history, or perhaps even a service where an individual shows up for a formal interview-style session to ask questions about different life periods, and then creates a voice recorded, video, or transcribed record (maybe all three).

That last one would be particularly valuable if the interviewer was skilled in techniques to prompt mental acuity and memory recall, such as the video below for individuals with cognitive deterioration.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

On the business side, how do you draw this information out of the individual? Probably quite a bit of opportunity whether it is digital journaling software, crowd-sourcing history, or perhaps even a service where an individual shows up for a formal interview-style session to ask questions about different life periods, and then creates a voice recorded, video, or transcribed record (maybe all three).

That last one would be particularly valuable if the interviewer was skilled in techniques to prompt mental acuity and memory recall, such as the video below for individuals with cognitive deterioration.

I was thinking more from the survivors' perspective before you explained, kind of like what Facebook is going to do with memorialized profiles of deceased users.

My grand-uncle passed and his FB page is a nice little reminder of who he was. He didn't get on much but he was tagged in photos of him doing some things he loved. Sometimes family and friends post on there and comment on it and like it. That gives me ideas.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018

Nothing in my life has ever gone as planned or expected. As I look back 25 years ago I had one vision for my life. 20 years ago it was totally different country, language, friends. 15 years ago it changed once again and the pattern continued. While I no longer expect my "plan" to materialize, I still do it - it seems to help me focus my energy.

Having said that, I was very fortunate that the changes were in a positive direction. Not all was well, far, far from it. But the old saying that "we overestimate what we can accomplish in 1 year but underestimate what we can do in 10 years" rings true.

So I am with you @Tommo - my 5 year outlooks were way out. And I am not the same person that I was at 20. In fact, looking back I would judge my 20 year old self as a smug, stupid "know it all" idiot. I am still an idiot, just a little less smug.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
my 5 year outlooks were way out.

5 year outlooks give direction, not an exact address.

I remember my 5 year outlook involved "court side tickets for Bulls games" -- after 5 years, I was happy with my direction in life but didn't have any Bulls tickets. Bottomline, at that point I didn't give a shit about any NBA team and my desire for such a goal went from "a must" to "I don't give a shit."

As you move in a 5 year direction with progress, the person you become will fall out of alignment with old you, and the 5 and 10 year visions change.

The 1/5/10 Planasy is a living document, not static.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.