The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Today I have determined that I have strong disagreeable tendencies. My automatic response to most posts is to take the counter-position. If I have disagreed with you in the past, it does not mean that I have not considered your position. I probably disagreed with you immediately, and later reflected on your words and determined that your position was:

A) More correct than my own, so I accepted it and moved on and didn't bother to tell you
B) Less correct than my own, so I went on my way feeling a slight satisfaction in my *more* correctness
C) Possibly more correct, less correct, or equally correct, but I am still considering it, and it may take several years before I form a conclusion

:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Today I have determined that I have strong disagreeable tendencies. My automatic response to most posts is to take the counter-position. If I have disagreed with you in the past, it does not mean that I have not considered your position. I probably disagreed with you immediately, and later reflected on your words and determined that your position was:

A) More correct than my own, so I accepted it and moved on and didn't bother to tell you
B) Less correct than my own, so I went on my way feeling a slight satisfaction in my *more* correctness
C) Possibly more correct, less correct, or equally correct, but I am still considering it, and it may take several years before I form a conclusion

:)
Are you an enneagram 8? They're all so feisty and grrr. Rofl.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
hahaha.

I usually get type 3 but have gotten 6 as well in the past (taken it a few times for fun). I don't put much stock in any of these tests, but for some reason they made us do them in university classes??
The Enneagram gained traction over the past five years or so. It is incredibly accurate when taken as a fluid construct rather than a static "typing" system. Each "type" on the enneagram identifies the dominant patterns of an individual. Everybody has qualities from all of the different types, but the dominant patterns of an individual help reveal everything from how they are likely to behave under stress to what flavor of ice cream they are most likely to prefer.

When I was looking at schools again last year, I was excited to see that one of them was teaching the Enneagram as part of its core curriculum. It is a tool worth learning, especially for marketers and business people.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The Enneagram gained traction over the past five years or so. It is incredibly accurate when taken as a fluid construct rather than a static "typing" system. Each "type" on the enneagram identifies the dominant patterns of an individual. Everybody has qualities from all of the different types, but the dominant patterns of an individual help reveal everything from how they are likely to behave under stress to what flavor of ice cream they are most likely to prefer.

When I was looking at schools again last year, I was excited to see that one of them was teaching the Enneagram as part of its core curriculum. It is a tool worth learning, especially for marketers and business people.
So what you're saying is, my partner won't always act like a drill sergeant ;) hahaha, she's great, I'm kidding.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So what you're saying is, my partner won't always act like a drill sergeant ;) hahaha, she's great, I'm kidding.
Mostly, she will probably behave that way. You never really get rid of your core patterns, but you can learn to adopt the patterns and behaviors of other types when it would be useful to do so. The biggest problem with the Enneagram is something @MJ DeMarco talks about in this thread.

Once people have figured out their "type" they can struggle to deidentify from that type. In other words, they become trapped by their own beliefs that they are X type and therefore they must behave in X ways.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018

This is why I don't want a car that can be driven remotely by a computer. What else does it do that I don't approve? Listen to my conversations while I am on the phone? Record video of the inside and outside to share with whomever later deems as "necessary"?

Tech is awesome and scary at the same time. I disabled Siri on my phone and own none of the latest Amazon Alexa gadgets. I am having serious indigestion over this type of tech controlling so much of our lives. My friends kids ordered a bunch of stuff through Alexa! That's all innocent but the level of privacy that's now gone is incredible.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Or am I getting old and "don't get it"?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

This is why I don't want a car that can be driven remotely by a computer. What else does it do that I don't approve? Listen to my conversations while I am on the phone? Record video of the inside and outside to share with whomever later deems as "necessary"?

Tech is awesome and scary at the same time. I disabled Siri on my phone and own none of the latest Amazon Alexa gadgets. I am having serious indigestion over this type of tech controlling so much of our lives. My friends kids ordered a bunch of stuff through Alexa! That's all innocent but the level of privacy that's now gone is incredible.

I’m 25 and I agree with you 100%. It’s spooky how fast everyone accepted this and drank the koolaid in my opinion.

The tech is cool but the potential for abuse is wild and nobody talks about it / none of them will verify how you’re in control of your stuff, or that it’s private, etc.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México

Kia did an ad a couple years back featuring autonomous driving.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK57iM-skg4

Spoiler: at the end the car auto drives the criminal to the police station locking him inside

Makes me think of the Dune universe and how they waged war on machines and made it illegal to build a machine in the image of a mind afterwards. Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind

Tech is a double edged sword I guess. It obviously enhances our lives and civilization, but is also making us (the average joe) extremely lazy and you could argue far less intelligent.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I noticed that just talking about stuff near your phone will cause you to get ads for whatever you talked about. Normally I would just say it was a coincidence, but it has happened far too many times.

For example talking to the wife in the morning, "I didn't sleep well, I think we might need a new mattress"

And then that F*cking day, I start seeing advertisements for mattresses and sleeping pills.

This can be excused normally if there was already web searches for said products, but not before those occured -- not if the first mention of a potential future purchase was just a private conversation.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I noticed that just talking about stuff near your phone will cause you to get ads for whatever you talked about. Normally I would just say it was a coincidence, but it has happened far too many times.

For example talking to the wife in the morning, "I didn't sleep well, I think we might need a new mattress"

And then that f*cking day, I start seeing advertisements for mattresses and sleeping pills.

This can be excused normally if there was already web searches for said products, but not before those occured -- not if the first mention of a potential future purchase was just a private conversation.
I have found I really screw up their data on me with a VPN.

I get ads for Canadian grocery stores and other completely incorrect stuff. It’s awesome.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA

And then that f*cking day, I start seeing advertisements for mattresses and sleeping pills.

The scope of data available to advertisers is probably unimaginable.

I bet they can see from your phone activity data if you are staying up later and waking up earlier, and then go ahead and advertise sleeping pills, mattresses, etc.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

I can 100% confirm this has happened to me any my girlfriend repeatedly as well. Now we avoid talking about certain stuff by any devices to avoid getting shown ads about it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands
I can 100% confirm this has happened to me any my girlfriend repeatedly as well. Now we avoid talking about certain stuff by any devices to avoid getting shown ads about it.
My wife used to always be amazed when this happens to us and would be wondering why. Like talking about socks and you get a sock ad. (Without prior sock searching lol).

I use to always just brush it off as a coincidence but when you think about it it's actually kinda creepy..

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a knife fetish, and this one got me. Thought the process of HOW it got me was interesting.

51173_134_01.jpg

I was on Facebook mobile app. Clicked a friend's story. When the time ran out, it switched to a story by 5.11 Tactical with a picture of this knife, and said it was designed by Special Forces. I sent a message asking if the knife is made in the USA, but didn't wait for a response. I went to their website to learn more. Once I was there, I didn't even click the pictures. Just read the description, read the 2 reviews that said it is rock solid, put it in my cart, and whipped out my wallet. Sold.

It never occurred to me that someone might use FB stories in that way. But it worked today.

Might be worth noting that I do follow 5.11 Tactical. I like their products and have purchased from them in the past. They sent me a small boot knife for free with one of my orders once. It was a solid piece of steel that I still own. Not sure if this would work the same if I weren't already familiar with 5.11. Not even sure if pages you don't follow can show you stories. I do know that 5.11 doesn't always carry knives, and usually, they only carry limited runs of any particular item.

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Telling the truth is NOT for the faint of heart. You need huge mega scary level donkey balls to continually share stuff with these idiots out there.. ffs! What is wrong with people?!? QUESTION SHIT.

Y'all ppl out there on the internet speaking up, sharing links and losing jobs because the majority of the world is still locked into the nightmare that is the big pharma matrix..

If nobody's told you recently, thank you. Thank you for caring about other people enough to talk, question, research, and spread the news. Vive la resistance.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018

Taking it to the next level, it seems you may get ads for products that you don't want but someone with whom you are in regular contact might want.

View: https://twitter.com/RobertGReeve/status/1397032784703655938

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This should be interesting:

I will buy this for one reason that isn't listed in the article or video... it isn't Google or Apple.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This should be interesting:

I will buy this for one reason that isn't listed in the article or video... it isn't Google or Apple.
Oh yes. I’m in. :oops:

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I messaged my CPA the other day asking for some end of year tax-savings tips. She ended up giving me a $55,000 bonus/raise which cost $9000 in payroll taxes. Damn it

ohmamecr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Dec 12, 2021
Nada en mi vida ha salido como estaba planeado o esperado. Cuando miro hacia atrás, hace 25 años tuve una visión para mi vida. Hace 20 años era un país, idioma, amigos totalmente diferente. Hace 15 años cambió una vez más y el patrón continuo. Si bien ya no espero que mi "plan" se materialice, todavía lo hago, parece que me ayuda a concentrar mi energía.

Habiendo dicho eso, tuve mucha suerte de que los cambios fueran en una dirección positiva. No todo fue bien, ni mucho menos. Pero el viejo dicho de que "sobrestimamos lo que podemos lograr en 1 año pero subestimamos lo que podemos hacer en 10 años" suena cierto.

Así que estoy contigo [USER = 53934] @Tommo [/ USER]: mis perspectivas de 5 años estaban muy lejos. Y no soy la misma persona que era a los 20. De hecho, mirando hacia atrás, juzgaría a mi yo de 20 años como un idiota engreído y estúpido de "lo sé todo". Sigo siendo un idiota, solo que un poco menos engreído.
I am 17 years old, I am a kid who loves to learn but I think sometimes I go to know everything. It's funny because it only happens to me when I'm in class, if I tell you something about myself it is that I am very empirical and I am very partial (and more with the teachers), the problem is that I love to excel when I have the knowledge of something but at the same time Being '' not very partial '' like the girls in my class who cling to the first thing they hear, I get criticism of shut up now, damn it ...

Looked at, because of that we had a small-great discussion in which the teacher put her beliefs in the book and her time in college before my beliefs, which are updated. The problem was when the teacher put her ego into the discussion to validate her beliefs and I had to shut up because otherwise she would throw me out (To top it off she put her on the exam and I had to put whole numbers if she didn't make me wrong).

The fact is that I love going out when I know something but I have to say in my favor that when it was not observed, what do you think about it? I also believe that there is an authority bias in the school and that is why teachers cling to society.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone else ever get "short-circuit dreams"? They are the stressful (not nightmare) kind where instead of thoughts flowing into eachother it feels like you are stuck in a loop.

When I get them they usually have math or programming related thought loops, but last night I read part of the NFT thread and had an NFT loop dream LOL

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018
Does anyone else ever get "short-circuit dreams"? They are the stressful (not nightmare) kind where instead of thoughts flowing into eachother it feels like you are stuck in a loop.

When I get them they usually have math or programming related thought loops, but last night I read part of the NFT thread and had an NFT loop dream LOL
3C89611C-452F-4787-B40B-E6344969B35B.jpeg

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

I get them when I stay up long hours trying to do a new thing. I used to get them for programming and would wake up with 100s of variations on an algorithm... sometimes they are all wrong, and sometimes I forget them before I'm out of the shower. Occasionally one will actually be fantastic. Either way, after having that happen a few times, I think your brain stretches, and it's easier to think about the same subject. After all, you basically spent a night sleeping in that subject's Hell :rofl: My guess is this is the function of the "dream loop." We probably have them all the time, but don't remember them. They are circuits forming in our minds that we can later use to understand a subject... something that was hard to understand before, but gets easier over time.

Also has happened when I play video games, especially strategy games.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.