The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Any TLDR; on how to get rid of stuff? I have a 4-car garage that isn't filled with 4-cars, but filled with other stuff.

People that downsize from a house to a Tiny-house will often employ the 1-year rule, which is to get rid of anything that you did not physically touch in the last year. In your case, maybe use a 3-year limit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Got a premium account with MyHeritage. Traced my ancestors back till the 1400's and still +400 matches to check. Very interesting yet time consuming.

Sent in my DNA too to see if my ancestors were faithful :clench:

Well now you've spoiled the fun for any future serial killers in your family.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Average home size has 2.5x'd since the 1950s. Home grown: 67 years of US and Canadian house size data » Darrin Qualman

That is absolutely insane.

I find it fascinating how what is extravagant in one decade is seen as below average a few decades later.

I live in a 1200 sq ft house built in the 1940s, with 2 kids a dog, and someone renting the back room. It's plenty of space. Probably 200 sqft bigger than what we need actually. What does the average family do with all that extra space in a house more than double the size? Besides paying to heat and cool it, of course.

It's like having two kids and owning a mini-van. Why?

If you're fastlane wealthy and have the money to spend, go ahead. I might like a bigger house one day, sure. But for the average family... it makes no sense.
Agree completely.
We built our house recently - 1250 square feet (plus I'm finishing part of the basement for the office).

Do you know how hard it is to even find a usable floor plan at this size? This was the only one under 3000 square feet that we could find with two full bathrooms. There are actually floor plans at 2500 square feet with only 1.5 bathrooms.

The house is a great size for us, and when kid(s) are older, they'll only have so many places to hide and will have to spend time with us.

My only complaint (literally) is that it's difficult for us to always have two people cooking.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Anybody else's spouse in love with Tidying Up on netflix with Marie Kondo?

Not my spouse - me. I find watching someone else's disaster house get cleaned slightly therapeutic. Marie inspired us to include our 2 year old in all the housework - turns out he took to it really fast and enjoys being part of the group activity.

EDIT: @MJ DeMarco I know you're an introvert, but Marie has a netflix series now, and given that you are kinda famous, you could probably get Marie to come do it for you if you let Netflix film it!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I love Marie Kondo. Her book is really good as someone else mentioned. I watched a few episodes of her show while I was doing some household chores. I live in a 1100 square foot home just by myself. It's 3 bedroom, 1 bath. I use one bedroom as an office, one for me, and one as a guest room. I used to think it was small when I bought it compared to the home I grew up in but now that I've gotten rid of some stuff, it seems huge especially for one person.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Don't get a Huawei. I used to swear by them. Have been using them for the past four years and am using a Huawei today.

Why not to get one:

GPS on the new one doesn't work in the US. It works perfectly when I'm in Asia. Doesn't work that well in America. My thinking is the the US government is messing up their functionality as much as possible. There's huge hatred between foreign governments and Huawei. It's not the same product that it used to be. Bluetooth connectivity is another large problem. However, if you don't need those features then you're good.

That's interesting with the GPS and Bluetooth. I don't plan on living in the US in the near future ( didn't use GPS or Bluetooth back home anyway), but still good to know all the facts.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
No I haven’t... just ordered it.
Other good ones are:
  • “Work Less, Earn More” by James Shramko
  • “80/20 Sales & Marketing” by Perry Marshall

Check out @MTF’s 80/20 thread.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
That's interesting with the GPS and Bluetooth. I don't plan on living in the US in the near future ( didn't use GPS or Bluetooth back home anyway), but still good to know all the facts.

This just came in today.

US files charges against China's Huawei and CFO Meng Wanzhou

US charges China's Huawei with fraud

Not sure if that changes your confidence on buying a Huawei product.

US to China, 'Listen guys, it's our way or the Huawei!'

...I'll get my coat.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Got a premium account with MyHeritage. Traced my ancestors back till the 1400's and still +400 matches to check. Very interesting yet time consuming.

Due to my dad's hobby in ancestry... we were able to meet distant cousins of mine in Sweden last summer, and they showed us my great great grandfather's grave in a small farm village. I saw the plot of land he farmed, and I saw the church he went to. I had lunch in the restaurant that now occupies his elementary school.

The impact of coming into contact with your roots gives me chills. It gave me a sense of belonging or significance. Or maybe it's insignificance. Trying to grasp the infinite string of unlikely coincidences that resulted in my existence.

Has anyone else been able to visit the "motherland"... wherever that is for you?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Imagine your life is so empty, so meaningless, that you think about threatening officials for a stupid football game that has zero impact on your life in the grand scheme of things.

For the life of me, I can't figure out sports team zealotry and human beings.

Your team wins you get nothing but some pseudo fake bragging rights over other zealots who value the pseudo fake bragging rights. We won! You won? No, you didn't win. You sat on the couch, stuffed your face with chips, and watched for 3 hours. You win NOTHING. You don't get money, rings, respect, vacations, consumer goods, you get NOTHING but the entertaining 3 hours you enjoyed watching the game.

The business of dead dreams is a trillion dollar business.

Report: Concern around NFL over officials that 'f - - - ed up' NFC championship living in Southern California

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Has anyone else been able to visit the "motherland"... wherever that is for you?

We haven’t gone for a visit yet to my wife’s home country (Thailand) but interestingly her DNA was an exact 50/50 between there and Vietnam. Definitely on our list to go visit, she and a cousin of hers were adopted from the same agency there.

Imagine your life is so empty, so meaningless, that you think about threatening officials for a stupid football game that has zero impact on your life in the grand scheme of things.

Your team wins you get nothing but some pseudo fake bragging rights over other zealots who value the pseudo fake bragging rights. We won! You won? No, you didn't win. You sat on the couch, stuffed your face with chips, and watched for 3 hours. You win NOTHING. You don't get money, rings, respect, vacations, consumer goods, you get NOTHING but the entertaining 3 hours you enjoyed watching the game.

Report: Concern around NFL over officials that 'f - - - ed up' NFC championship living in Southern California

I smell a passage from the upcoming book...fascinating quote about the “Business of dead dreams” aside from professional sports, it is pretty much every self help gurus bread and butter.

Solution to the sports problem? Be a Buffalo Bills fan like I am or a Browns fan like my wife. No reason to even consider watching them. Ever.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Found myself living in Montreal for a little bit. It's a beautiful city.

However, I don't speak French and finding work is hard. Going for a job interview tomorrow at an awful call centre. It's sales, which is good because I can touch up on my sales skills, but it is one of those awful businesses which hire anyone and you cannot deviate from the script at all.

I'm fine with having a mundane job whilst I work on other things, just wish it wasn't making 500 calls a day for someone else.

But if I get it, it isn't the end of the world. I'll still be an entrepreneur who just happens to work in a call centre.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I just want to b*tch a lot and be cuddled. For realz though. This week.. sooo many things.. and it’s only Tuesday. Sigh.

*chanting into my teacup

I’m a problem solver. This is an opportunity. I’m a problem solver.. this is a %^*>#!<+*%ing opportunity.. I’m a super powerful genius problem solver! Yes! That’s meee!

*sob

Someone hold me.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I just want to b*tch a lot and be cuddled. For realz though. This week.. sooo many things.. and it’s only Tuesday. Sigh.

*chanting into my teacup

I’m a problem solver. This is an opportunity. I’m a problem solver.. this is a %^*>#!<+*%ing opportunity.. I’m a super powerful genius problem solver! Yes! That’s meee!

*sob

Someone hold me.

Sounds rough. Hopefully the tea helped. You've got this!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Birdbox on Netflix.

Can I get my 2 hours back?

It infuriates me that people write this sh*t and someone in Hollywood with supposedly a lot of talent, money, and authority says, "OMG, this is good sh*t, we should allocated $20 million to it and create a movie!"

Darn it, oh well, guess there's always a job!

I know, annoying ending right?

I liked the premise and the story seemed to move along OK. However I found that it's kinda like the Royal Mail, it just doesn't quite deliver.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

Completely agree. I always found this really weird.

Philosophically mankind hasn't progressed very much in the last 1000 years.

The average person has horrifically low self esteem and no sense of identity, so rather than looking inside themselves, figuring themselves out and deciding who they want to be, they seek identity through a tribe:
- sports
- tattoos
- nationalism

I'm not saying that anyone with a tattoo has no sense of self, but my pet theory is that a lot of people use the above ideas to attempt carve a sense of identity, based on other peoples virtues, rather than building their own.

E.g rather than become a great artist, they parade someone elses art as if it were their own. Rather than get good at a sport, they use someone elses accomplishments to identify with.

I think it stems from most people having a very skeptical / misintegrated view of life. If something is unknowable, or ideas are compartamentalised into unconnected abstractions, then it's hard to visualise how to piece together a life worth living.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Completely agree. I always found this really weird.

Philosophically mankind hasn't progressed very much in the last 1000 years.

The average person has horrifically low self esteem and no sense of identity, so rather than looking inside themselves, figuring themselves out and deciding who they want to be, they seek identity through a tribe:
- sports
- tattoos
- nationalism

I'm not saying that anyone with a tattoo has no sense of self, but my pet theory is that a lot of people use the above ideas to attempt carve a sense of identity, based on other peoples virtues, rather than building their own.

E.g rather than become a great artist, they parade someone elses art as if it were their own. Rather than get good at a sport, they use someone elses accomplishments to identify with.

I think it stems from most people having a very skeptical / misintegrated view of life. If something is unknowable, or ideas are compartamentalised into unconnected abstractions, then it's hard to visualise how to piece together a life worth living.

Agree with you, except the tattoo-stuff doesn't make much sense. I never have seen somebody that parades with a tattoo as if it was their own, it's not even the point of having a tattoo. I mean, even tattoo-artists can't tattoo on themselves, they let it do by other artists.

The same you can say about clothes: people buy nice clothes and parade with them, rather to make it themselves?

And yeah, not only people with low self-esteem will seek tribes. Other people too, it's typical homo sapiens behavior. Or why do you think we're on this forum all together?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Agree with you, except the tattoo-stuff doesn't make much sense. I never have seen somebody that parades with a tattoo as if it was their own, it's not even the point of having a tattoo. I mean, even tattoo-artists can't tattoo on themselves, they let it do by other artists.

The same you can say about clothes: people buy nice clothes and parade with them, rather to make it themselves?

And yeah, not only people with low self-esteem will seek tribes. Other people too, it's typical homo sapiens behavior. Or why do you think we're on this forum all together?

I agree with you.

I'm not saying that all of the above behaviours are an attempt to create an identity externally, but that sometimes they are.

No-one parades a tattoo as they were the tattoo artists... but I'm willing to bet there are people who's identity consists of "being a person with tattoos".

And yeah, people with high self-esteem also seek tribes, and want to be a part of them, but their self-identity doesn't depend on being a member of XYZ tribe.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
But not just any pen. This one was accompanied by 3 separate pieces of copy that would make Dan Kennedy shed a tear of joy.
Hmmm I guess the next topic on my 100 Headline challenge will be PENS.:)

Very good copy- points out the long-ignored benefits of a pen in business.

I think too many copywriters try to go for the 'big win', the billion-dollar sales letter, when they should be building up on the 'singles', the little wins that count and add up. This copy, is one of the 'singles'.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
D

Deleted50669

The trick is to have a fascinating conversation about ribosomes, coaching, the sexual activity of dolphins, your local Starbucks, and used car removals. It confuses the hell out of their analytics. Good luck. #screwwithfacebook #fightback

I'm more concerned about it confusing my friends..

Friend: Hey 404profound!
404profound: The male dolphin courts the female with an impressive display of flips and spins.
Friend: F*cking excuse me.
404profound: An adept coach is always sure to follow up with her clients to hold them accountable for behavioral change.
Friend: Dude, did your account get hacked?
404profound: venti iced latte.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Reminds me of the South Park episode
Reminds me of the South park episode where Eric Cartman "sneaks" into the NSA to find out if he's on their most wanted list. He finds out that they don't care about him. They don't have a single profile on him. He gets very upset by this. At the end of the episode, he finds out that the NSA have kidnapped Santa Clause and torturing him to find people.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I'm more concerned about it confusing my friends..

Friend: Hey 404profound!
404profound: The male dolphin courts the female with an impressive display of flips and spins.
Friend: f*cking excuse me.
404profound: An adept coach is always sure to follow up with her clients to hold them accountable for behavioral change.
Friend: Dude, did your account get hacked?
404profound: venti iced latte.

Oh. Hm. You need new friends.
Mine are like, “Did you just watch the thing about fb spying too?!? You’re so brilliant! I love you! Make it with almond milk, soy milk is filled with GMO’s!!”

And then I get twelve separate comments interlinking to: the sexual habits of hippos, the importance of outsourcing coffee production, a dancing video of hippos drinking coffee, and a reference to The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy or Dr. Who.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Hmmm I guess the next topic on my 100 Headline challenge will be PENS.:)

Very good copy- points out the long-ignored benefits of a pen in business.

I think too many copywriters try to go for the 'big win', the billion-dollar sales letter, when they should be building up on the 'singles', the little wins that count and add up. This copy, is one of the 'singles'.

Another way I've seen it done is by taking everything in your room, or garage, and imagining you had to liquidate everything. Then writing headlines + copy for every single item.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Found myself living in Montreal for a little bit. It's a beautiful city.

However, I don't speak French and finding work is hard. Going for a job interview tomorrow at an awful call centre. It's sales, which is good because I can touch up on my sales skills, but it is one of those awful businesses which hire anyone and you cannot deviate from the script at all.

I'm fine with having a mundane job whilst I work on other things, just wish it wasn't making 500 calls a day for someone else.

But if I get it, it isn't the end of the world. I'll still be an entrepreneur who just happens to work in a call centre.

Aaaand I came back with two job offers, from two different companies, both selling the same thing.

As I say, am fine with some mundane work right now and given my situation I can't be picky, but damn I am so overqualified for them. Felt like a right idiot sat there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.