The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

RANT Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Canadianadanada
Social Media: The Addiction to Fear

I know the topic about social media has been beaten to death. But I've come to a significant realization when I was looking at my Facebook feed (yes unfortunately I still have one).

Social media is based on fear.

If you go on Facebook, you'll notice almost everything you see is there to repulse you, shock you, or inform you about something terrible. You're constantly bombarded with bad news.

It's a brilliant tactic. Our primitive brains are conditioned to look for danger.

On social media, it's VERY easy to find things to be anxious about.

Honestly, how much on Facebook is uplifting, inspiring, or meant to make you feel grateful, or wanting to be kind to others?

It's really easy to get people to pay attention when they are terrified.

The result is you get sucked into a cyber-illusion designed to keep you paying attention to everything that could possibly hurt you.

And Facebook and other companies make money off your anxiety. Not to mention pharmaceutical companies making money for every anti-anxiety and antidepressant doctors prescribe.

It also makes me take a step back and think about the impact I want to have on the world I don't want to benefit off appealing to the worst in people. I don't want to profit off people's misery.

Instead I want to add positivity and goodwill into the world. I think we could all use some more of that.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
The only magazine subscription I have is to Barrons, which actually is a newspaper.

Thought the cover of this week's issue was quite telling...

IMG_0638.JPG

rollerskates

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
And Facebook and other companies make money off your anxiety. Not to mention pharmaceutical companies making money for every anti-anxiety and antidepressant doctors prescribe.
I don't understand why people don't understand this. If you unplug, you'll be a lot healthier. I guess it doesn't help when people are surrounded by others who are egging them on. I mean...grownups? o_O

rollerskates

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I also need to start a progress thread. I'm so wishy washy that I can't even decide to start a thread wherein I can be wishy washy. Total fear of judgment. :wideyed:

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
Mexico
Funny how on forums people are shy about posting profile pictures yet people will posts anything and everything on facebook, instagram etc. And yet these companies track everything about you and forums don't.:somber:

Kid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016

I know the topic about social media has been beaten to death. But I've come to a significant realization when I was looking at my Facebook feed (yes unfortunately I still have one).

If you go on Facebook, you'll notice almost everything you see is there to repulse you, shock you, or inform you about something terrible. You're constantly bombarded with bad news.

It's a brilliant tactic. Our primitive brains are conditioned to look for danger.

Honestly, how much on Facebook is uplifting, inspiring, or meant to make you feel grateful, or wanting to be kind to others?

The result is you get sucked into a cyber-illusion designed to keep you paying attention to everything that could possibly hurt you.

It also makes me take a step back and think about the impact I want to have on the world I don't want to benefit off appealing to the worst in people. I don't want to profit off people's misery.

Instead I want to add positivity and goodwill into the world. I think we could all use some more of that.
Well spotted - i wondered about this when reading/watching traditional news channels or websites.
80% of articles are about some tragic incident,murder or a house fire.

This means that facebook just turned into ordinary news channel.
I don't know, i haven't used it in years ;)

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

If your Facebook feed is full of negativity it's because you've chosen to follow pages and people that are negative. You literally choose what sources of information you want to follow. You can block anyone or any page you like.

It's not Facebook's fault that traditional news sources use the same clickbait scare tactics for clicks as they do for headlines in newspapers, for example, whilst I'm a sports fan I've recently unfollowed all Fox Sports affiliated pages, couldn't stand the clickbait bulls*t from their "journo's".

Every so often I'll get a private message to my business account that the person doesn't like what I've posted and I should take it down. I advise them to unfollow my page and follow pages with content they do like. They have the power!!!
If they want to keep arguing with me I block them. Now I'll never upset them again, Bearcorp doing his bit to promote positivity on Facebook :rofl:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Canadianadanada
So Conor McGregor said he's retiring today...

Not sure what to think about it. He's obviously frustrated that the Cerrone fight negotiations fell through.
But then again, it's not like he needs the money.

Plus with all the legal issues he has going on, I don't know how he can focus on fighting.

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
So Conor McGregor said he's retiring today...

Not sure what to think about it. He's obviously frustrated that the Cerrone fight negotiations fell through.
But then again, it's not like he needs the money.

Plus with all the legal issues he has going on, I don't know how he can focus on fighting.
If he does retire, what a career. Surely he goes to WWE now, he's still got alot of money to make, only 30 years old.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Canadianadanada
If he does retire, what a career. Surely he goes to WWE now, he's still got alot of money to make, only 30 years old.
True, but I feel as a fighter he's fallen short of his potential. He never had a rematch with Khabib, never did the Diaz trilogy, and never defended a championship.

It's no secret though, he's in it for the dolla dolla bill, and he doesn't need to fight for that.

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
True, but I feel as a fighter he's fallen short of his potential. He never had a rematch with Khabib, never did the Diaz trilogy, and never defended a championship.

It's no secret though, he's in it for the dolla dolla bill, and he doesn't need to fight for that.
Would have loved to see the Diaz trilogy, who knows this could be another fake retirement to raise this stocks even more, whatever he does I can't see him sailing off into the sunset just yet!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Canadianadanada
Would have loved to see the Diaz trilogy, who knows this could be another fake retirement to raise this stocks even more, whatever he does I can't see him sailing off into the sunset just yet!
Here's the thing, the last few years with McGregor, I haven't felt the same energy from him. It seems like he can't recapture that same passion from 2013-2016 when he was knocking everyone out.
And I thought it was weird after he lost to Khabib, he hadn't spoken to his coach in months.
Then his coach said publicly he wouldn't train him for anymore fights unless they were really big, and thought Conor should retire.
Not only that, he hasn't been around SBG much recently. He was training at American Top Team in Florida. Maybe it's just because he wants to be in the States, but it seems like he's oddly distant from his coach.

He has his Whiskey business too and over $100M. I honestly think he's lost interest in the fight game.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2017
Oregon
As an experiment, I just wanted to see how my mom and one of my friends reacted/responded to the idea of the Fastlane concepts found in MJ's books.

I brought up my business and how once I scale, I can live from anywhere, and traditional 9-5 just doesn't work for me. I mentioned client acquisition and providing value.

...crickets

They were both completely dumbfounded and my friend kept trying to reason with me to play it safe and get a steadily paying slowlane job.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this life isn't for everyone.

Also I can't say it enough, but thanks for this forum. It's nice to see so many other like-minded folks just as "crazy" as me. :playful:

Keep killin' it,
Andy

Kid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
Random thought for today:

If you can't beat them... learn from them!

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2017
Oregon
I've always been very influenced by others, and their opinions of me. This is actually why I go to great lengths to make sure others are helped, which is both helping and hurting my Fastlane timeline.

My friends are all getting into my head about getting a safe, steadily paying job, never taking any risk.

It's just not me.

I'm just looking to uproot from all of this, move somewhere brand new, and HUSTLE.

I know the moment I tell them my plan, they'll freakin' lose it. But I can't think about that.

This is about ME.

I know lots of you have been through similar scenarios. I just thought I'd post this up.

I know what I need to do, and I won't let fear dictate a decision.

That is all, thank you

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
As an experiment, I just wanted to see how my mom and one of my friends reacted/responded to the idea of the Fastlane concepts found in MJ's books.

I brought up my business and how once I scale, I can live from anywhere, and traditional 9-5 just doesn't work for me. I mentioned client acquisition and providing value.

...crickets

They were both completely dumbfounded and my friend kept trying to reason with me to play it safe and get a steadily paying slowlane job.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this life isn't for everyone.

Also I can't say it enough, but thanks for this forum. It's nice to see so many other like-minded folks just as "crazy" as me. :playful:

Keep killin' it,
Andy

I've always been very influenced by others, and their opinions of me. This is actually why I go to great lengths to make sure others are helped, which is both helping and hurting my Fastlane timeline.

My friends are all getting into my head about getting a safe, steadily paying job, never taking any risk.

It's just not me.

I'm just looking to uproot from all of this, move somewhere brand new, and HUSTLE.

I know the moment I tell them my plan, they'll freakin' lose it. But I can't think about that.

This is about ME.

I know lots of you have been through similar scenarios. I just thought I'd post this up.

I know what I need to do, and I won't let fear dictate a decision.

That is all, thank you
The best way to show people your new found direction isn't by talking to them about it, but by taking action. Spend 6 months, 12 months making something happen and then you'll have them asking "wow how did you earn all this money" or "wow your so lucky". If they want to learn they will come to you for advice, otherwise crack on and make it happen :thumbsup:

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
10 year old complaining he didn’t have anything to read at bedtime last night. I looked at my small book shelf for something with a story in it. He’s quite enjoying “Built to Sell” so far. Lol... start ‘em young.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Just perma-deleted my Facebook account. Burning that bridge for good.
So you don't have a business? Running a business without the power of Facebook really puts you at a disadvantage. I'd love to delete FB but my business prevents me from doing so.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Canadianadanada
So you don't have a business? Running a business without the power of Facebook really puts you at a disadvantage. I'd love to delete FB but my business prevents me from doing so.
I actually was considering this. And if this is the case I might make another account just for my business. But my personal account is gone unless I revive it in 13 days.

Reactions: SMH

Rabby

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Wordpress' automatic posting to facebook is great. Schedules and injects your content into the opium den, and you don't have to walk through that sweet smelling smoke. Plus your content has a persistent location outside fb.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
And then once you've done it, and are successfully doing what you said you would, the response will change to "wow, I could never do something like that, I'm not x, y, z enough".

They have to reassure themselves that their life choices aren't up to them.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 24, 2017
Spain
Based on true events:

Meanwhile in social media:

“I quit my job to start a new business”
10 likes
3 comments: Good luck!

“I will be joining [huge corporation X] next week”
200 likes
100 comments: Congrats!!

“My company just raised a $1M round at a $20M valuation”
50 likes
5 comments: Congrats! Great job!
30 comments: With a rich daddy and connections anyone could do it

“I got admitted at Harvard”
300 likes
120 comments: Congrats!!/ You are a rockstar!/ Well done!

Meanwhile at the bank:

- I would like to borrow $20k to start my new business
- Ok, I will need a detailed business plan including sales forecasts for the next 3 years, then we will see what we can do depending on the guarantees you provide.

- I would like a student loan for $200k to attend Harvard
- Congratulations! I will need the admissions offer.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I just don't get it.

Ordered something on wish.com that cost $2.

Shipping costs were an additional 2 bucks.

How the heck can they ship thousands of items from China when it costs me $3.50 to ship a similar item within the US of A. I just can't believe that these companies are taking a loss on shipping that many products.
What am I missing here? These businesses are not the size of amazon so there is no way they have negotiated those kind of rates.
How do they sell something for $1, shipping $2 and make anything on it??

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2012
I just don't get it.

Ordered something on wish.com that cost $2.

Shipping costs were an additional 2 bucks.

How the heck can they ship thousands of items from China when it costs me $3.50 to ship a similar item within the US of A. I just can't believe that these companies are taking a loss on shipping that many products.
What am I missing here? These businesses are not the size of amazon so there is no way they have negotiated those kind of rates.
How do they sell something for $1, shipping $2 and make anything on it??
Epacket delivery I think

."Shipping is cheap thanks in part to an agreement between China Post and the U.S. Postal Service that allows goods that weigh 4.4 pounds or less to be shipped at low rates. About 15% of Wish’s shipments qualify. It can now be cheaper to ship a package from Beijing to New York than from South Carolina to New York. That’s important because many Chinese merchants can’t afford to use big shipping companies like FedEx or DHL or store their goods in out-of-the-way warehouses as they might with Amazon, says Zhang, who’s based in Shanghai."

Meet The Billionaire Who Defied Amazon And Built Wish, The World’s Most-Downloaded E-Commerce App

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Really humbled today...

I went to see my Corporate Finance lecturer for some help on some questions before a small class test.

He took time out of his schedule to do so, even though it wasn't during consultation hours.

Then I realised I forgot when and where the upcoming quiz would be, and asked him again for it.

He chuckled and sent a reminder on the Moodle (online platform that connects everyone) for that.

'Wouldn't an email notification do?'
I asked.

He shook his head.

The kids won't read the emails, he said.

He proceeded to talk about how his generation just never got as distracted as the present generation, what with the Internet and iPhones.

Here's what my lecturer had to go through:

- came from a poor family

- walked into Form 5 scared for his life because his dad said that if he flunked SPM (something like the SAT exams), it was the last straw, and he'd have to go work a manual job

-passed thankfully and went to Form 6

- got a degree at UKM (the national university) and went for Masters or PHD by scholarship

- did all of these with no Internet, 100% reliance on lectures by whiteboard. Scored a 3.8 CGPA by the time he did MBA

- but the company giving him the scholarship went bankrupt, so after graduation, he had no job

-so he opened a curry factory that did well after a few years

-his mum scolded him for not using his education to do 'something better'

-so he went and continued his studies while working, teaching tuition classes

-grabbed a teaching job at a local uni after spotting a job placement

- He started with a monthly pay of RM1000! Minimum wage, at ungodly hours!

Poor guy had to teach all day, plus night classes for working students.

- He eventually moved universities, and worked his way up. And now has been teaching finance for 30 years...

A lot of hustle, courage and effort, although he chose to follow his mum's desire for him to remain in academia.

Really respect that!

I didn't expect a lecturer to have such a life story to tell. I guess I still have a bad bias towards academia being SCRIPTED...

Actually glad my belief was proven wrong.

If I didn't aim to do a Fastlane, I would have tried my best to work alongside such professors in academia...

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com

Rabby

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
Wow, amazing what wild things you can do as an entrepreneur!
Next gold rush, like trampoline parks.

We've got one in my town, it's fun!

We had company christmas party there and brought in some of our junk product to destroy with sledgehammers, crowbars, refrigerator doors... etc.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 3, 2018
Olympic Cyclist Kelly Catlin Seemed Destined for Glory. Then She Killed Herself.

This is a sad tragedy.

Reminds me of the character Brian in The Breakfast Club where he explains that he tried to kill himself because he left too much pressure from his parents to be the perfect straight A student.

I understand that as Entrepreneuers we all have ambitions in life and we're about that 10x hustle culture but we shouldn't let it consume ourselves to the point where we take our own lives.

Always take care of yourselves.

If you see any other people have signs, not just family and friens but anybody please get them help.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States

LinorCG

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
I guess that's why Costco got into it too!

upload_2019-4-10_17-36-28.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.