The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quora as a marketing channel, anyone?

BreakAlive

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2018
That's the problem.

If I am a Quora reader and I have a question about "how to sell blue widgets" and I look on Quora for that, I will get back like 2,300 questions where someone else has asked the same question as me already.

Which question do I choose to now read?

The one created 4 years ago with 100+ answers ( some of which might be top experts that answered ), or the one created last week that 2 people answered... of which those 2 people might only have a history of answering 8 other questions on a similar topic ( basically look like amateurs ) that no one has even upvoted?

You gotta start where the reader is even hanging out first.

People are attracted to crowds, sheep follow sheep, social acceptance and group think/wisdom of the crowds draw people in. Our brain's shortcut our thinking that way. It's one of the basics of marketing. People are going to hang out and do what everyone else is doing ( going to the popular questions and "trusting" what others have already blindly trusted and upvoted ).

Right now, you're going to the empty water holes and trying to help out. That will get you nowhere. No one else is there, so those won't draw people in ever.

This is what I mentioned earlier in this thread that most people go about this like it's an unplanned free for all ( Quora as a marketing channel, anyone? ).

There is a saying, "Profit is made on the purchase". That applies here too. The traffic is made on the right selection of question.

Thanks for sharing your insights in this thread.

I have a question about this approach.

If we're targeting very popular questions with 100+ answers then isn't that similar to targeting high search volume key words for SEO? For example, "Baby toys" which you will need a lot of resources to compete. That's why people suggest targeting long tail key words (lower volume, less competition) to even have a chance of ranking and been seen.

Then it seems like there should be an ideal Views vs. Answers ratio for a question. That is, questions that will get you the most amount of views given all the other existing answers (competition).

I'm new to Quora marketing so correct me if my analogy is wrong.

What other criteria do you use to select your questions? Or do you consistently answer the questions that are most popular/highest views?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I tried answering questions on Quora but Indians would always get the most upvotes even if my answer was well researched.

Than I found out that Quora is bloatware in India. It's included with every new phone someone buys. Naturally Indians use it a lot. Their answers always start with a story, one that has nothing to do with the subject in question. And finally at the very bottom they answer a bit about the question. Indians like stories and they upvote them to the top of the results. So I stopped using it at all. Many of the questions I was getting for me to answer were very regional to India too.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I tried answering questions on Quora but Indians would always get the most upvotes even if my answer was well researched.

Than I found out that Quora is bloatware in India. It's included with every new phone someone buys. Naturally Indians use it a lot. Their answers always start with a story, one that has nothing to do with the subject in question. And finally at the very bottom they answer a bit about the question. Indians like stories and they upvote them to the top of the results. So I stopped using it at all. Many of the questions I was getting for me to answer were very regional to India too.
Probably that's a reason why I haven't written on Quora for ages.

Maybe I'd have to call it quits, even though I started on the platform just to practice writing.

I also got turned off by answers that somehow didn't answer the question thoroughly, but just spun into a link-trap or sales pitch:

'Want to know the answers to X problem? We are the top service provider for X solution. Go to this link NOW!'

Plus, I remember meeting with Malaysian Quorans many moons ago, and they were joking about how you could write shit that wasn't related to your profile's stated expertise, and get upvoted heavily.

For instance, one of the entrepreneur guys in the group said one of his best upvoted post was on SEX...not even related to his stated areas of business.

I'm surprised readers don't look into the answerers' profiles and start asking questions. If this happened on even Reddit, some folks might spot the BS answer and starting making noise in the comments section. But even the latter seems to be rare on Quora, or probably I'm not browsing it hard enough?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Thanks for sharing your insights in this thread.

I have a question about this approach.

If we're targeting very popular questions with 100+ answers then isn't that similar to targeting high search volume key words for SEO? For example, "Baby toys" which you will need a lot of resources to compete. That's why people suggest targeting long tail key words (lower volume, less competition) to even have a chance of ranking and been seen.

Then it seems like there should be an ideal Views vs. Answers ratio for a question. That is, questions that will get you the most amount of views given all the other existing answers (competition).

I'm new to Quora marketing so correct me if my analogy is wrong.

What other criteria do you use to select your questions? Or do you consistently answer the questions that are most popular/highest views?

I would call it similar to SEO. However, you don't need a lot of resources to compete on Quora. You need a good answer and a few other things. Ranking in SEO though, you need a lot more. But I see the comparison you are making and you could call it that, but I don't feel you need resources really.

There isn't an ideal views to answers ratio.

It's like sales.

You aren't going to sell anything if you are hitting the places no one visits. You must be in the waterholes that everyone else is at with Quora for so many reasons.

I am not going to give away the farm here since I don't want things saturated, but just stick to where the rest of the traffic is.

There are lots of people getting lots of upvotes. Depends on your answer and value.

If you see people are writing in story and getting upvotes, why didn't you adapt and do the same?

Probably that's a reason why I haven't written on Quora for ages.

Maybe I'd have to call it quits, even though I started on the platform just to practice writing.

I also got turned off by answers that somehow didn't answer the question thoroughly, but just spun into a link-trap or sales pitch:

'Want to know the answers to X problem? We are the top service provider for X solution. Go to this link NOW!'

Plus, I remember meeting with Malaysian Quorans many moons ago, and they were joking about how you could write shit that wasn't related to your profile's stated expertise, and get upvoted heavily.

For instance, one of the entrepreneur guys in the group said one of his best upvoted post was on SEX...not even related to his stated areas of business.

I'm surprised readers don't look into the answerers' profiles and start asking questions. If this happened on even Reddit, some folks might spot the BS answer and starting making noise in the comments section. But even the latter seems to be rare on Quora, or probably I'm not browsing it hard enough?

hmm.. who ever said what's in your profile is what you have to write about?

Is sex not something we all know a little about?

My cousin might be a highly paid software developer and have that on his profile at Quora. But he is also a multi millionaire which is not on his profile at Quora. Should I not upvote his answer if he answers one on being a millionaire because it's not on his profile? People don't have to share everything on their profile and they can be experts on other things.

In the end, its about value and value is different to each person.

If you see other people doing something that is similar to the end result you want, why not try their method and see if it works for you?

Just something to think about guys.

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
I was able to get some traffic from Quora and Yahoo answers. It is easy to start and you can market your business by explaining its benefits in the response. I tried different strategies, for example, to target popular, high ranked questions or target questions with less number of responses, so your response will be more visible.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I answer questions on Quora, but in the same way as I do here on the Fastlane. I post because I am actually trying to help people, and not as part of any advertising campaign. It's true that my answers always show my sourcing and importing book website, and occasionally encourage people to check it out.

I noticed a substantial upsurge in book sales not long after beginning to post there, and have seen an increasing number of questions being dealt with by my support team at PAC, so I know they are not from Fastlane members.

The sales are not important enough for me to even bother researching how Quora works. In fact I lack the skills to do such research, being rather ignorant in relation to such things.

Like @kelvinfernandezm, I have noticed a massive increase in incoherent or pointless questions being posted by new members from India. It doesn't take me long to delete all those requests for answers.

This development is devaluing Quora, and could even lead to many contributors leaving that forum, just as it did when the same thing happened to the Warrior Forum. I have totally ended my long-standing participation there, and if Quora continues on that downhill course, it will be goodbye Quora from me.

I find it interesting that although I don't receive a lot of upvotes, my answers are invariably shown at the top. The great majority of answers in my specialty are outrageously incorrect and misleading. When I see those I feel it my duty to provide the real facts in order to save readers from costly mistakes.

Walter

BreakAlive

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2018
I would call it similar to SEO. However, you don't need a lot of resources to compete on Quora. You need a good answer and a few other things. Ranking in SEO though, you need a lot more. But I see the comparison you are making and you could call it that, but I don't feel you need resources really.

There isn't an ideal views to answers ratio.

It's like sales.

You aren't going to sell anything if you are hitting the places no one visits. You must be in the waterholes that everyone else is at with Quora for so many reasons.

I am not going to give away the farm here since I don't want things saturated, but just stick to where the rest of the traffic is.

Thanks for the answer. I'll give it a go and see the results.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Has anyone successfully used Quora as a marketing channel, either in

A) Advertising (they now offer advertising)

or

B) As a person who answers questions?

to effect leads, sales, or website traffic?

Quora is pretty stiff on their rules in trying to keep marketing objectives to a minimum.

Also, anyone get invited to this? And if so, does it have an impact on your marketing? I'd imagine for "more than $1000 a month" you'd have to spend HOURS writing content, to the tune of $5 an hour type of stuff.

View attachment 24595

MJ I've been invited to be a content writer like you three years ago. From a pure payout terms you are right, it's like $5 for hours of writing. Nonetheless I say you should go for it, Quora is stuffed with high quality people, waay better than Twitter or Reddit. If you can't write shit you don't get any likes there. I think you'll do great over time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Quora paid ads I've found not bad either.

I think we need to make this distinction.

Are we talking about Quora as a marketing channel for

A) Paid advertising?

or

B) Answering questions as a form of content marketing?

Because both are options, but I'm guessing the answers can be widely different.

Aside from @lludwig, has anyone tried PAID ADVERTISING on Quora for marketing?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not that I have used it as a marketing channel successfully myself (or really tried for that matter - I've always preferred Medium.com). But I used to read a lot of content by "Nicolas Cole", a writer who has essentially started his writing career on Quora. Today, he has somewhere around 30 million accumulated views on his Quora posts alone.

He used platforms like Quora and Medium to build up a massive following, then used that popularity to get into many of the world's biggest publications like Inc., Forbes and whatnot.

Today he runs a branding agency for business executives and entrepreneurs, pretty much helping them to get featured in those big media outlets and build a following for themselves.

I think the point with these platforms is that they only really pay off when you invest huge amounts of time into them. Once you've got a following over there, then your answers will naturally get more views and thus get picked by the editorial team to be featured. Then oftentimes other publications like Inc. etc. pick them up and syndicate them on their website.

Posting the occasional answer or two probably won't do much.
Ha. I came across Nicolas Cole on Twitter recently. I think he’s smart. I liked his book, till I got bogged down in the How-To sections.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.