The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit my crypto job and feeling kinda lost now...

Anything related to matters of the mind

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
Hello everyone,

This is Ninja here, and I'm excited to start my first thread. I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for me, as I'm feeling pretty lost right now. I was talking to @Andy Black , and he suggested I share what's going on with me here in the hopes of getting some help.

To give you a quick summary of my life so far, I was a self-employed tour guide for almost six years. I loved this job because I enjoy meeting new people, making friends, and having conversations. However, I'm not sure if I would make a good salesperson, as the thought of it gives me anxiety.

After my tour guide gig, I taught myself copywriting when I got a new job and had to reinvent myself. I felt like an imposter since I had no formal training and had to learn on the job. Despite this, I did well in some product launches and even sold six figures in the company I worked for.

I became a copywriter for the financial niche and dabbled in crypto on the side. I spent a year studying crypto and eventually got a full-time job in a crypto marketing agency. Unfortunately, when the bear market hit crypto, the agency lost a lot of clients, and I was burned out. I quit my job last November.

Initially, I wasn't too worried since I've always been able to get jobs quickly and had recruiters reaching out to me. However, this time was different. I became really down and sad and started doubting my abilities, even though I had no formal training in marketing.

I started seeing people on LinkedIn betting heavily on personal branding and creating content. I explored more Twitter users who grew their audiences and sold digital products. I also started looking into the newsletter business and even started a newsletter and wrote a Medium article to add to my writing portfolio.

Now I feel overwhelmed, as I see AI coming for writers. Yet, I'm more comfortable as a content writer than a copywriter. I realize that I need to study copywriting again, learn SEO to get a content writer job, and figure out personal branding to create opportunities for myself on LinkedIn and Twitter.

I'm feeling completely lost about what to do with my life since I quit crypto. Yet, I need a job again as it's taking a toll on my self-esteem. I'm considering focusing on writing online, sharing my journey, and figuring out ways to add value. Then, I can move towards creating a digital product to sell or doing ghostwriting.

I've seen some freelance writers making 30K a month ghostwriting for founders on Twitter, but those are rare. The majority may make 5K or 10K. I feel lost right now since I want to leave crypto behind, but it took me a year to study and get into the space, and another year to work in a crypto marketing agency.

As I'm trying to reinvent myself, I'm thinking about my current skill: writing. Please don't judge me based on the way I've been writing here. My style is much more conversational and relatable when I write a newsletter or Medium article.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, and I appreciate any advice you may have.

P.S.: I see crypto people rebranding their careers to AI or even startup world.

Another thing...I know MJ talks about how no one cares what we like...technically I like personal development stuff..that would be something I would love to work with. But, I don't know your thoughts..you can say this self-help industry is bad and doesn't make money and is a bunch of scammers too HAHHA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hello everyone,

This is Ninja here, and I'm excited to start my first thread. I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for me, as I'm feeling pretty lost right now. I was talking to @Andy Black , and he suggested I share what's going on with me here in the hopes of getting some help.

To give you a quick summary of my life so far, I was a self-employed tour guide for almost six years. I loved this job because I enjoy meeting new people, making friends, and having conversations. However, I'm not sure if I would make a good salesperson, as the thought of it gives me anxiety.

After my tour guide gig, I taught myself copywriting when I got a new job and had to reinvent myself. I felt like an imposter since I had no formal training and had to learn on the job. Despite this, I did well in some product launches and even sold six figures in the company I worked for.

I became a copywriter for the financial niche and dabbled in crypto on the side. I spent a year studying crypto and eventually got a full-time job in a crypto marketing agency. Unfortunately, when the bear market hit crypto, the agency lost a lot of clients, and I was burned out. I quit my job last November.

Initially, I wasn't too worried since I've always been able to get jobs quickly and had recruiters reaching out to me. However, this time was different. I became really down and sad and started doubting my abilities, even though I had no formal training in marketing.

I started seeing people on LinkedIn betting heavily on personal branding and creating content. I explored more Twitter users who grew their audiences and sold digital products. I also started looking into the newsletter business and even started a newsletter and wrote a Medium article to add to my writing portfolio.

Now I feel overwhelmed, as I see AI coming for writers. Yet, I'm more comfortable as a content writer than a copywriter. I realize that I need to study copywriting again, learn SEO to get a content writer job, and figure out personal branding to create opportunities for myself on LinkedIn and Twitter.

I'm feeling completely lost about what to do with my life since I quit crypto. Yet, I need a job again as it's taking a toll on my self-esteem. I'm considering focusing on writing online, sharing my journey, and figuring out ways to add value. Then, I can move towards creating a digital product to sell or doing ghostwriting.

I've seen some freelance writers making 30K a month ghostwriting for founders on Twitter, but those are rare. The majority may make 5K or 10K. I feel lost right now since I want to leave crypto behind, but it took me a year to study and get into the space, and another year to work in a crypto marketing agency.

As I'm trying to reinvent myself, I'm thinking about my current skill: writing. Please don't judge me based on the way I've been writing here. My style is much more conversational and relatable when I write a newsletter or Medium article.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, and I appreciate any advice you may have.

Another thing...I know MJ talks about how no one cares what we like...technically I like personal development stuff..that would be something I would love to work with. But, I don't know your thoughts..you can say this self-help industry is bad and doesn't make money and is a bunch of scammers too HAHHA

Okay, for starters take a deep breath. Now another one. And another one.

Everything is going to be okay. You're going to get through this, and you're going to figure this out.

I'm going to simplify business down to its most basic form.

Help somebody accomplish something that they're willing to pay you to help them accomplish.

You're throwing around a lot of ideas.

Right now you need some income. Maybe that income means getting a job. Maybe that income means selling a service and starting your own thing. But we need to figure out what you can do of value.

I can't answer that for you. Start making a list of what other problems that you think you can help people solve, that you think they will pay you for.

It goes beyond "just writing". Writers learn a lot of about a lot of different things. For now go ahead and include the crypto stuff in your list. You're in a brainstorming phase. Put all the ideas out on the table. Write some ideas that draw on your experience as a tour guide maybe. What hobbies have you had in your life?

Okay, I think you get the idea...

BTW, welcome to the forum

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 18, 2023
I am pretty much in the same situation trying to figure out what I’m going to do next. I had a job but wasn’t happy. I wanted to getaway from slowlane life. So I quit and decided to travel. Now after a full year break, I wanted to get started. It’s not easy and I’m still at 0. At some point I was even thinking to jump into crypto because of the time flexibility lol.

When I'm not productive for too long, I felt that I lost my self-worth. Some days, I felt like I’m going nowhere and negative thoughts will start creeping in. I start questioning my skill, am I good enough? do I need to learn more skills? and so on. This happens especially when things are not working as fast as I want it to be. I am open for job, freelancing or whatever just to prove to myself that I am still worth it. I realized that I put my self-worth into what I do (business/ career). When I no longer have any of those, things start falling apart. This shouldn't be the case.

Everyone has different way to deal with it, but this is what I did:
  • Try to captive my thoughts. Aware of what I am saying to myself. This to prevent me from falling into negative cycle/ rut: no job -> lost value -> feel not good enough -> low confidence -> low self-esteem -> lost value even more -> feel even worse and so on.
  • Just chill. Take some time off to do things that I enjoy. Not thinking about work, or what I’m going to do next in my life etc.
  • Learn to be grateful. Everyday I write 3 things that I’m grateful for, no matter how small it is.
  • If possible, surround myself with people/ friends who can support me. Talk/ share with them.
  • I even took personality test again. It helped to understand myself better when I am under pressure.
This list might be different for everyone but the idea is to recharge, get our strength back and avoid the rut. Help yourself first before you help others. It is a marathon not a sprint.

I read somewhere in the book that maybe we should start from what we know best (domain experience) and go from there. It could be any writing related to tourism, sales, crypto or finance.

What Lex said in this thread makes me think that maybe the problem is not that I don’t have enough skill, but it's how I should sell.

Not sure if this helps, but feel free to reach out for any questions :).

Last edited:

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023

Everything is going to be okay. You're going to get through this, and you're going to figure this out.

I'm going to simplify business down to its most basic form.

Help somebody accomplish something that they're willing to pay you to help them accomplish.

You're throwing around a lot of ideas.

Right now you need some income. Maybe that income means getting a job. Maybe that income means selling a service and starting your own thing. But we need to figure out what you can do of value.

I can't answer that for you. Start making a list of what other problems that you think you can help people solve, that you think they will pay you for.

It goes beyond "just writing". Writers learn a lot of about a lot of different things. For now go ahead and include the crypto stuff in your list. You're in a brainstorming phase. Put all the ideas out on the table. Write some ideas that draw on your experience as a tour guide maybe. What hobbies have you had in your life?

Okay, I think you get the idea...

BTW, welcome to the forum
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my thread.

I am going to pause for a second and get back to you :)

Btw, I don't think I have a hobbie. I like sleeping :)

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
I am pretty much in the same situation trying to figure out what I’m going to do next. I had a job but wasn’t happy. I wanted to getaway from slowlane life. So I quit and decided to travel. Now after a full year break, I wanted to get started. It’s not easy and I’m still at 0. At some point I was even thinking to jump into crypto because of the time flexibility lol.

When I'm not productive for too long, I felt that I lost my self-worth. Some days, I felt like I’m going nowhere and negative thoughts will start creeping in. I start questioning my skill, am I good enough? do I need to learn more skills? and so on. This happens especially when things are not working as fast as I want it to be. I am open for job, freelancing or whatever just to prove to myself that I am still worth it. I realized that I put my self-worth into what I do (business/ career). When I no longer have any of those, things start falling apart. This shouldn't be the case.

Everyone has different way to deal with it, but this is what I did:
  • Try to captive my thoughts. Aware of what I am saying to myself. This to prevent me from falling into negative cycle/ rut: no job -> lost value -> feel not good enough -> low confidence -> low self-esteem -> lost value even more -> feel even worse and so on.
  • Just chill. Take some time off to do things that I enjoy. Not thinking about work, or what I’m going to do next in my life etc.
  • Learn to be grateful. Everyday I write 3 things that I’m grateful for, no matter how small it is.
  • If possible, surround myself with people/ friends who can support me. Talk/ share with them.
  • I even took personality test again. It helped to understand myself better when I am under pressure.
This list might be different for everyone but the idea is to recharge, get our strength back and avoid the rut. Help yourself first before you help others. It is a marathon not a sprint.

I read somewhere in the book that maybe we should start from what we know best (domain experience) and go from there. It could be any writing related to tourism, sales, crypto or finance.

What Lex said in this thread makes me think that maybe the problem is not that I don’t have enough skill, but it's how I should sell.

Not sure if this helps, but feel free to reach out for any questions :).
OMG I totally get you!!

And thank you for replying too. I also liked the bullet points you included there because right now I am kinda of panicking a little bit too...and following that advice I saw on that thread (which became a motivational one for me)

I was like "I cannot decide" but then I just did stuff all at random and threw a bunch of stuff around like @BizyDad said above (not with those words, but you get the idea).

I really appreciate you both and I will actually do the list of things that you, @BizyDad and @Andy Black suggested..i have some homework to do.THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello everyone,

It depends on your personal cashflow situation.

A job is still needed if you really need it to feed yourself and fund your future business ideas.

AI is going to create a shock wave of contents flooding the entire cyberspace. It is going to get very messy but interesting. Great disruption comes with opportunities also.

Crypto needs to move itself into utility bases economy quickly or we will move into BTC maximalism real soon. With SEC cracking down on POS this is all a perfect storm for BTC Maximalism. The current paradigm is still based on 90 percent focusing on improving user experience in speculation, and the market development for cross border payment has been taken over by BTC and stable-coin.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Help yourself first before you help others.
Or... help others first to help yourself?

A lot of what you mentioned is like imposter syndrome that comes from thinking about yourself and your situation. Sometimes focusing on others means you forget about yourself and get into positive feedback loops.

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
It depends on your personal cashflow situation.

A job is still needed if you really need it to feed yourself and fund your future business ideas.

AI is going to create a shock wave of contents flooding the entire cyberspace. It is going to get very messy but interesting. Great disruption comes with opportunities also.

Crypto needs to move itself into utility bases economy quickly or we will move into BTC maximalism real soon. With SEC cracking down on POS this is all a perfect storm for BTC Maximalism. The current paradigm is still based on 90 percent focusing on improving user experience in speculation, and the market development for cross border payment has been taken over by BTC and stable-coin.
I have some savings, but for sure need a job before I run out of cash.

As for crypto, thank you for your input. I don't really want to be in the industry, specially after James Janis did that really good YouTube video about crypto being a scam and i agree with him. I don't see use cases..different from AI.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
My advice would be to do the work necessary to stop feeling sad, overwhelmed, and lost.
Taking care of your mental health is the top priority. Once this is solved, you can do anything you want moving forward.

Also, it would be a good idea to get rid of this "I don't know how to do this" mindset.
Everybody is an idiot the first time they try to do something new. Most people can't handle this feeling and quit. But those that persist, end up being very proficient at any new skill in a very short amount of time.

^ This is the best advice.

Everything is alright.
Take inventory of what you have and what you need, cover the basics, come up with a strategy, and start the execution. Step by step you will get closer to victory.

Good luck.

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023

A lot of what you mentioned is like imposter syndrome that comes from thinking about yourself and your situation. Sometimes focusing on others means you forget about yourself and get into positive feedback loops.
that is definitely a mindset shift... I was feeling very much in the survival mode and then, as a copywriter, one of the main rules is: what's IN for them? And I see that it comes from really helping people.

I just need to figure out the ways I can learn people with my writing while also picking up other skills.

@Andy Black I really appreciated what you said about inbound sales or sales from introverted people, that is opening my mind because of the reasons i loved loved loved the tour guiding is because i love meeting people and i was always good at building relationships...and that's why I was good at it.

My co-worker was all about networking and, for me, that feels very transational. My approach was always making a friend :) that was my mindset.

With that being said..i can see that one of the things holding me back (besides feeling overwhelmed and having to rethink my whole life and career path) is MINDSET...

I had this realization this morning while being here on the forum bc I realized while reading another thread that the whole thing about learning a new skill is what is stopping me too..because my mindset is like "i am not sure i can be good at this or learn this..or it might be too difficult" and YES..it is a BAD mindset and victim too :(

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
My advice would be to do the work necessary to stop feeling sad, overwhelmed, and lost.
Taking care of your mental health is the top priority. Once this is solved, you can do anything you want moving forward.

Also, it would be a good idea to get rid of this "I don't know how to do this" mindset.
Everybody is an idiot the first time they try to do something new. Most people can't handle this feeling and quit. But those that persist, end up being very proficient at any new skill in a very short amount of time.

^ This is the best advice.

Everything is alright.
Take inventory of what you have and what you need, cover the basics, come up with a strategy, and start the execution. Step by step you will get closer to victory.

Good luck.
THANK YOU so much for taking the time to reply here :)

We are in sync haha i just wrote below as a reply to Andy this:

With that being said..i can see that one of the things holding me back (besides feeling overwhelmed and having to rethink my whole life and career path) is MINDSET...

I had this realization this morning while being here on the forum bc I realized while reading another thread that the whole thing about learning a new skill is what is stopping me too..because my mindset is like "i am not sure i can be good at this or learn this..or it might be too difficult" and YES..it is a BAD mindset and victim too :(

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Exactly.
But the best (and perhaps only) way to change your mindset is through repeated positive action. Over time, you will become what you do. So choose wisely.

Keep your head up. For those that have their eyes open, there are clear skies ahead.

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 18, 2023

Thanks Andy! Yes, I agree, it will work too. Introverts and extroverts have different way to deal with their issues. I'm more introverted so if I'm at my low point, I cant just go and help people, I'll probably snap at them, haha... helping others can get me some positive feedback but in my limited experience, no matter how many success or results that we achieved if we still have the wrong mindset (being insecure?), we won't go far. And I think Ninja already gets it. Awareness -> decision -> positive action and repeat.

Last edited:

techvx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jan 29, 2023
I feel lost right now since I want to leave crypto behind, but it took me a year to study and get into the space, and another year to work in a crypto marketing agency.
Surprised that no one here pointed out this sunk cost bias of yours. Some people have betted their entire life savings, made over dozens of years as a regular employee, on the price of BTC and ETH going through the roof and beyond, only to see it crash to the abyss along with their entire net worth - and you are concerned about having "lost" a couple of years in the "wrong" industry with a sub-par potential?

Not to discredit or devalue your feelings and emotions - yet you don't even know what the experience you've gotten from these two years will bring you coming forward. "There are no mistakes, only learning experiences", as one man once remarked. The past is there to be your teacher, not the jailor who locks you up.

Another bit of homework to explore in your free time in this regard: what did you expect to get out of that initial commitment to the crypto, and what does your mind is convinced you've "lost"? What were the original goals you were going after before deciding to get fully into it?

It may well be that your emotional self is having trouble accepting the situation because the thought of having made a such huge "mistake" with your time and effort could potentially indicate that there's something inherently wrong with your whole life and ambitions.

Look into the ways of showing to yourself all the rest of countless ways to get to your original target, without any attachments to crypto or your previous decisions to invest your time and effort into other commitments. You didn't lose anything - you gained two years of professional experience in a highly competitive field that can serve for a lifetime to come.

+

Will the concerns you have today be of any relevance whatsoever to your future, perfectly capable self in 5, 10, 20 years from now? Or are you just procrastinating over your future by keeping yourself firmly glued to your past?

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
Surprised that no one here pointed out this sunk cost bias of yours. Some people have betted their entire life savings, made over dozens of years as a regular employee, on the price of BTC and ETH going through the roof and beyond, only to see it crash to the abyss along with their entire net worth - and you are concerned about having "lost" a couple of years in the "wrong" industry with a sub-par potential?

Not to discredit or devalue your feelings and emotions - yet you don't even know what the experience you've gotten from these two years will bring you coming forward. "There are no mistakes, only learning experiences", as one man once remarked. The past is there to be your teacher, not the jailor who locks you up.

Another bit of homework to explore in your free time in this regard: what did you expect to get out of that initial commitment to the crypto, and what does your mind is convinced you've "lost"? What were the original goals you were going after before deciding to get fully into it?

It may well be that your emotional self is having trouble accepting the situation because the thought of having made a such huge "mistake" with your time and effort could potentially indicate that there's something inherently wrong with your whole life and ambitions.

Look into the ways of showing to yourself all the rest of countless ways to get to your original target, without any attachments to crypto or your previous decisions to invest your time and effort into other commitments. You didn't lose anything - you gained two years of professional experience in a highly competitive field that can serve for a lifetime to come.

+

Will the concerns you have today be of any relevance whatsoever to your future, perfectly capable self in 5, 10, 20 years from now? Or are you just procrastinating over your future by keeping yourself firmly glued to your past?
i lost all my money too. i went all in with all my savings as well @techvx

however, i didn't even bring this up bc I am not focusing on that part...as there's nothing i can do regarding the money part. So I am focusing on other things instead

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Let's not focus on what you've lost, but on what you've gained:
  • Experience in content writing in the Finance and Crypto niches
    - Lots of writing practice and knowledge in evergreen/trending industries
    - A solid portfolio that you can show to your clients

• 2 years working in a digital marketing agency
    - You now have a good understanding of teamwork, how agencies work, and client communication/retention
    - You've added a lot of value through your writing by doing 6 figures in sales (make a case study around that!)
Doubting yourself is normal. But I've been in this game long enough to tell you that 95% of people do a SHIT job.

(Whether that's content writing, copywriting, graphic design, web design media buying, etc.)

Want to know why it's shit? It's because they're too self-absorbed and too afraid to take responsibility for the big picture.

When you write, DON'T think about who you are or what task you have ahead of you, or whether you're good enough.

Instead, think of how your writing will come across, how it will impact your (or your client's) audience, and make sure they have a great time all while remaining focused on the primary objective, which is to SELL!

After all, you know you're a writer that's capable of selling shit through words.

You've already proven that in the past in your crypto job.

Your past clients know this. You know this. And, as long as you leverage your past results when looking for new opportunities, your future clients will know this before you even get to work with them.

But what if what you write doesn't end up providing the results you and your client were hoping for?

Well shit, you're not a prophet. It happens. And you've probably learned by now that nothing is guaranteed in marketing, there are only estimates.

Just try again and make it better. Again, your clients know you can sell. It's not like you're a failure in their eyes.

Now go use your portfolio and past results (it's enough and YOU are enough) and apply for jobs, gigs on Upwork, or do cold outreach.

P.S. When I was starting out, I met a dude that was copywriting for $75/h and was very highly regarded by his clients. At the time, I wasn't even CLOSE to that.

So, I asked him how much money he's made for said clients, expecting to hear $50M in generated sales or something.

His reply was: "Dunno. I never asked."

I then asked to see some of his work. To put it lightly, I wasn't impressed.

Moral of the story? Even mediocre copywriters who are not results-oriented can make quite a bit of money.

And you? You can go much further than that.

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
Let's not focus on what you've lost, but on what you've gained:
  • Experience in content writing in the Finance and Crypto niches
    - Lots of writing practice and knowledge in evergreen/trending industries
    - A solid portfolio that you can show to your clients

• 2 years working in a digital marketing agency
    - You now have a good understanding of teamwork, how agencies work, and client communication/retention
    - You've added a lot of value through your writing by doing 6 figures in sales (make a case study around that!)
Doubting yourself is normal. But I've been in this game long enough to tell you that 95% of people do a SHIT job.

(Whether that's content writing, copywriting, graphic design, web design media buying, etc.)

Want to know why it's shit? It's because they're too self-absorbed and too afraid to take responsibility for the big picture.

When you write, DON'T think about who you are or what task you have ahead of you, or whether you're good enough.

Instead, think of how your writing will come across, how it will impact your (or your client's) audience, and make sure they have a great time all while remaining focused on the primary objective, which is to SELL!

After all, you know you're a writer that's capable of selling shit through words.

You've already proven that in the past in your crypto job.

Your past clients know this. You know this. And, as long as you leverage your past results when looking for new opportunities, your future clients will know this before you even get to work with them.

But what if what you write doesn't end up providing the results you and your client were hoping for?

Well shit, you're not a prophet. It happens. And you've probably learned by now that nothing is guaranteed in marketing, there are only estimates.

Just try again and make it better. Again, your clients know you can sell. It's not like you're a failure in their eyes.

Now go use your portfolio and past results (it's enough and YOU are enough) and apply for jobs, gigs on Upwork, or do cold outreach.

P.S. When I was starting out, I met a dude that was copywriting for $75/h and was very highly regarded by his clients. At the time, I wasn't even CLOSE to that.

So, I asked him how much money he's made for said clients, expecting to hear $50M in generated sales or something.

His reply was: "Dunno. I never asked."

I then asked to see some of his work. To put it lightly, I wasn't impressed.

Moral of the story? Even mediocre copywriters who are not results-oriented can make quite a bit of money.

And you? You can go much further than that.
Aww thank you so much for your kind words and all the support and encouragement :)

I really appreciated you taking the time to write all these things. It means a LOT to me.

I guess the "lost" part was more because all of a sudden I felt like I needed to reinvent myself (making a list of new jobs I could try to get into, such as, account manager, entry level sales, customer success, etc), and yes, I started to doubt my skills.

When you mentioned that the other copywriter was selling $50M and it didn't seem like he was that amazing, it was quite funny. I guess the mindset and doubting ourselves are some of the things that end up stopping me and many other people.

I really liked the other points you mentioned in the beginning, because I can totally use that to "sell myself" during the job interviews.

I was reading this thread too

And I also realized that I focused too much on learning some new skills (like SEO right now) instead of also focusing on what people really want, or how important it is to sell ourselves too.

Thank you again for everything you just said! :)

P.S.: I PMed you now :)

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I guess the "lost" part was more because all of a sudden I felt like I needed to reinvent myself (making a list of new jobs I could try to get into, such as, account manager, entry level sales, customer success, etc), and yes, I started to doubt my skills.

You could LIE your way into any of these jobs without any experience and people won't even notice. Yes, the average person is THAT bad at their job. Or they put in just the minimum amount of effort (or less) and employers are now accustomed to that.

Just having a growth/results-oriented mindset along with a willingness to learn and take responsibility puts you ahead of the majority of the people working these jobs regardless of experience.

Expect a lot from yourself but don't dwell on feelings of doubt. It's perfectly normal to have some doubt and anxiety when trying new things, changing jobs, or getting a new client. Take solace in the fact that everyone goes through this and try to disconnect from the feeling as if you're playing a game and it's your character that's doubting themselves, not you.

When you mentioned that the other copywriter was selling $50M and it didn't seem like he was that amazing, it was quite funny. I guess the mindset and doubting ourselves are some of the things that end up stopping me and many other people.

I really liked the other points you mentioned in the beginning, because I can totally use that to "sell myself" during the job interviews.

I was reading this thread too

And I also realized that I focused too much on learning some new skills (like SEO right now) instead of also focusing on what people really want, or how important it is to sell ourselves too.

Thank you again for everything you just said! :)

P.S.: I PMed you now :)

I PM'd you back. You're currently all over the place but that's okay — your scattered thoughts and feelings will eventually subside and form a linear path in your mind and you'll know exactly what to do.

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
You could LIE your way into any of these jobs without any experience and people won't even notice. Yes, the average person is THAT bad at their job. Or they put in just the minimum amount of effort (or less) and employers are now accustomed to that.

Just having a growth/results-oriented mindset along with a willingness to learn and take responsibility puts you ahead of the majority of the people working these jobs regardless of experience.

Expect a lot from yourself but don't dwell on feelings of doubt. It's perfectly normal to have some doubt and anxiety when trying new things, changing jobs, or getting a new client. Take solace in the fact that everyone goes through this and try to disconnect from the feeling as if you're playing a game and it's your character that's doubting themselves, not you.

I PM'd you back. You're currently all over the place but that's okay — your scattered thoughts and feelings will eventually subside and form a linear path in your mind and you'll know exactly what to do.
I loved you said "you could LIE your way into any of these jobs" haha

And, yes, I am all over the place. I do appreciate again you taking the time Simon :) and I'll PM you back too :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.