The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! [PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

srodrigo

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2018
readers have so many free books that they're overloaded
Not only that. Readers probably have other hobbies too. You are not only competing with thousands of books, but with Facebook, Netflix, YouTube, video games, etc. In my view, the problem is not only your crowded niche, but competing with other kinds of entertainment for readers' time. There's more entertainment than ever, more than anyone can consume, and people seem to be busier than ever too with work, social life, etc. Not a good combination. I think it's not about money anymore (I don't care about paying $3.99+ vs $0.99), it's about time, and users' availability is not going to get any better soon.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
ChickenHawk

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
And just think, I'm looking forward to writing fiction, sounds like I should not be so optimistic.
I think a lot depends on the genre. The romance market is pretty brutal right now, but multiple writers on the KBoards have mentioned finding success in genres that aren't so shark-infested. Wisely, they never say what those genres are, but brighter spots apparently do exist. The secret, I think, is to find a genre that meets some/all of the following criteria:

- Not fully infested with Kindle Unlimited books. (The top 100 of my genre is at least 95% infested.)
- Has a decent price point. (As an example, it's nice to see a few ebooks priced at $7.99 or above.)
- Still has a presence of traditionally published books. (Some of these might be priced as high as $14.99.)
- Isn't so obscure that it has no readers. (For example, a genre with no competition is only nice if there are still enough readers to make it worth the effort.)

I'm sure there are a lot more things to look for, but those are just the things I've theorized off the top of my head. Regardless of which way you go, I hope you'll keep us posted! Your non-fiction writing really is amazing, and I could see that translating really well to the fiction market.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm sure there are a lot more things to look for, but those are just the things I've theorized off the top of my head. Regardless of which way you go, I hope you'll keep us posted! Your non-fiction writing really is amazing, and I could see that translating really well to the fiction market.
Aww thanks, I think I'm gravitating toward Mystery and Psychological / Political Thrillers. My guess is that would probably be a pretty saturated market.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Pouring your heart and soul into a book and all of the intricate details of characters and plot development, only to give it away in order to sell more books for .99 cents - 3.99 just sounds like a shakedown in the worst way. This is clearly below even minimum wage with all of the hours put into creating and selling a book. Books should be selling for more without all of this lowest price point nonsense that Amazon encourages.
That's truly how I feel. And because I write very slowly and methodically, it really is a shakedown at minimum wages. The only respite I can rest my mind on is that I'm not writing as a career to get rich, but more of a passion project. I imagine if you're writing is responsible for "food on the table", it can become stressful and frustrating.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom