The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] Replacing My Income With Adwords Freelancing.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Holy cr@p. How many hours of videos is that? 6 hours??

Can you go pick up a client NOW, instead of going more in depth?

You don't need to be an expert
I get where you’re coming from, the guy doing the course is extremely thorough and so far really dives into each aspect of building a campaign, and also gives examples of when you would use a certain setting.

The later sections aren’t nearly as long.

I don’t think it’s a case of analysis paralysis or action faking, there’s just a butt load of content in the course.

Even @lowtek has taken the same course and recommended it.

Believe me, if I thought I could pick up a client now I would.

I’d rather take my time to soak up the info so that I can really deliver when I do have my first client.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I get where you’re coming from, the guy doing the course is extremely thorough and so far really dives into each aspect of building a campaign, and also gives examples of when you would use a certain setting.

The later sections aren’t nearly as long.

I don’t think it’s a case of analysis paralysis or action faking, there’s just a butt load of content in the course.

Even @lowtek has taken the same course and recommended it.

Believe me, if I thought I could pick up a client now I would.

I’d rather take my time to soak up the info so that I can really deliver when I do have my first client.
You CAN pick a client now. Go do it.

Rewatch that video I shared.

Listen to the first radio interview in my signature.

“We can’t invoice for input, only output.” (Blaise Brosnan)

Media buyers think this way.

Business owners think this way.

You’re on the journey to become both.

Commercial skills trump technical skills.

Take this as your first commercial lesson. You do NOT need any more book learning. You need to get a client and start *real* learning.

If you’d taken my course it would have cost you more money upfront, but less of your time. More importantly, I wouldn’t have impressed you with all the information you need to consume.

This isn’t an ad for my course because it’s closed at the moment. But go read the sales page to better understand why I posted this.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
You CAN pick a client now. Go do it.

Rewatch that video I shared.

Listen to the first radio interview in my signature.

“We can’t invoice for input, only output.” (Blaise Brosnan)

Media buyers think this way.

Business owners think this way.

You’re on the journey to become both.

Commercial skills trump technical skills.

Take this as your first commercial lesson. You do NOT need any more book learning. You need to get a client and start *real* learning.

If you’d taken my course it would have cost you more money upfront, but less of your time. More importantly, I wouldn’t have impressed you with all the information you need to consume.

This isn’t an ad for my course because it’s closed at the moment. But go read the sales page to better understand why I posted this.

Ok will do. Thanks Andy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Been super busy lately with work, personal life, and getting ready for school this fall, so I haven't made as much progress as I would like.

Good news is I'm over halfway done with the course and I have learned so much! I have learned everything from campaign and ad group structure to keyword planning and theory.

I know some people will object to me continuing the course and that's fine. However, I feel that the course is more than just a crash course in Adwords, it's a lifetime resource that I can read use.

Hell, I didn't even know what a match type was before, which is critical to niching down your campaigns and bidding strategy.

I would much rather take the time to learn what I can now, rather than do trial and error on someones real account with real money.

Keep on keepin on...

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
This is what I did in the beginning too, managed the Adwords campaign as an intern for what is todaythe largest real estate portal in the country. You'll learn alot for sure.

Good luck!

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
You don't need certifications. It never really came up when i was adwords freelancing, so skip #2. I don't think @Andy Black would recommend it either.
Good point. I've taken over many accounts set up and managed by "certified" AdWords consultants/agencies and even Google employees that were very bad or less than adequate.

There are clients that say it is a requirement but I think most of them really don't know why. Probably just read a job post checklist somewhere and added it to look smart. :)

When I get the objection during a consult/sales call I can usually turn not having it into a positive. This is even easier when I can look inside their account and point out all the deficiencies. I demonstrate that I am on their side and looking out for their best interest, not Googles.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good point. I've taken over many accounts set up and managed by "certified" AdWords consultants/agencies and even Google employees that were very bad or less than adequate.

There are clients that say it is a requirement but I think most of them really don't know why. Probably just read a job post checklist somewhere and added it to look smart. :)

When I get the objection during a consult/sales call I can usually turn not having it into a positive. This is even easier when I can look inside their account and point out all the deficiencies. I demonstrate that I am on their side and looking out for their best interest, not Googles.
I never get asked if I'm certified. It would actually be a red flag for me if someone asks.

I expect it would come from the type of client that wants me to go through their RFP process, which is a definite no-no for me.

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not sure if you do anything on Upwork but it is a regular occurrence over there.
I don’t use Upwork. If I did then when people asked for certification I’d be able to filter them out quick.

jdcorwin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 13, 2018
Montana
A year ago I hired someone to manage my google adwords for $500/month and about a month in realized he was pretty new to the game and terminated services with him shortly after.

He was putting in the time and delivering some results, but not the results I was expecting for the price. I ran my own ads after that and was getting better results than he was and could put that $500/month into adspend rather than that guy.

Nobody is going to want to pay you $500/month out of their advertising budget if you can't deliver them a solid increase in revenue from adwords without them needing to increase their adspend. You can definitely do this once you put in the time and get the experience, but I would heavily discount your rates while you are still learning or even help people for free.

That way you can get your experience and people won't be unsatisfied for their investment in your company while you get a feel for things. Sure the courses will help, but you won't learn better than actually doing it hands on with real money.

Just throwing out random numbers here, but "Special Offer of $100/month for 3 months, after that, it's back to our standard rate of $300/month"

I experienced the same thing but with Facebook ads. I hired what seemed like a talented individual with many accolades and millions spent in adspend. It was all fake and a lie and I learned quickly. I paid him $2000 per month to handle my ads and they were the worst ads I have ever seen!! A complete joke!! I had one picture of a bear that I wanted to post and they called it a zebra! That was the last straw... I quickly ended that and went on to learn how to do my own advertising making $10k from $1k ad spend. Now I have clients of my own on the side.

Don't hype yourself up with reviews and numbers. The real review is in the work and performance. So I think anyone should be extra certain they can deliver on the clients needs before taking a job instead of frivolously spending their budget, hoping the ads convert.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Knocked out a few hours of work today after my real (slowlane) job. About 80% finished with the course! Woot!

Basically all there is left to go over is conversion tracking, scripts, and remarketing, which I can skip until I get some steam rolling with an actual account since they are pretty advanced topics.

Quick question for the incredible @Andy Black: I've heard you say you don't use Googles conversion tracking, instead you opt for sales reports from the business owner. Why is that? Should I not trust Google on that front? Thanks.

Anyway, I'm soooooo glad to almost be done with the course. It's felt like forever but I've learned a TON of actionable info that I didn't know before. In fact, I knew none of it before LOL.

So in my book, the time spent on the course is well worth the reward. I feel like I could actually build a semi-decent campaign now.

Up next I'll be creating my Upwork profile, hopefully Mr. @Lex DeVille can chime in with some tips for a newb :)

Thanks to everyone who's been following along and supporting me!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Knocked out a few hours of work today after my real (slowlane) job. About 80% finished with the course! Woot!

Basically all there is left to go over is conversion tracking, scripts, and remarketing, which I can skip until I get some steam rolling with an actual account since they are pretty advanced topics.

Quick question for the incredible @Andy Black: I've heard you say you don't use Googles conversion tracking, instead you opt for sales reports from the business owner. Why is that? Should I not trust Google on that front? Thanks.

Anyway, I'm soooooo glad to almost be done with the course. It's felt like forever but I've learned a TON of actionable info that I didn't know before. In fact, I knew none of it before LOL.

So in my book, the time spent on the course is well worth the reward. I feel like I could actually build a semi-decent campaign now.

Up next I'll be creating my Upwork profile, hopefully Mr. @Lex DeVille can chime in with some tips for a newb :)

Thanks to everyone who's been following along and supporting me!
We try to get Google conversion tracking implemented and working, but we don’t wait for that before launching campaigns. We also don’t trust it completely.

At the end of the day, the client needs to be happy and that comes from making additional sales of products/services they want to sell.

You can drive more phone calls and annoy your client if they’re all tyre-kickers, or the average sales value is too low.

If you’re driving Google Ads conversions but don’t know whether the client is making sales, or happy, then they can still churn.

Ha. They can churn when you’re doing a good job too... and want to take the Google Ads management in-house.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
We try to get Google conversion tracking implemented and working, but we don’t wait for that before launching campaigns. We also don’t trust it completely.

At the end of the day, the client needs to be happy and that comes from making additional sales of products/services they want to sell.

You can drive more phone calls and annoy your client if they’re all tyre-kickers, or the average sales value is too low.

If you’re driving Google Ads conversions but don’t know whether the client is making sales, or happy, then they can still churn.

Ha. They can churn when you’re doing a good job too... and want to take the Google Ads management in-house.

Thanks for clearing that up Andy.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Just created my UpWork account. Filled out my profile and history, now just waiting to get accepted.

Also great news! I took the AdWords skill and scored Top 30%! How awesome is that? Lol.

Can’t wait to get started finally!

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Some good advice from @eliquid & @Andy Black in this thread covering what I would call the two extremes of the spectrum of PPC management. The classic dilemma of who owns the account, how much to charge, and so on. The only advice I can add at this point is as Andy pointed out, start getting your hands dirty. I took on my first Adwords account for free back in 2012 for a gutter cleaning company I worked for. Learned directly from the experience about what to do and what not to do.

While I no longer service local service based clients, the key of course is just getting accustomed to setting up and optimizing accounts. Even if it means taking on accounts FOR FREE for some time to build up your chops. Right now you need more experience in the trenches than anything else, everything else will fill itself in. Go out there and make someone love you.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Ok, so bad news. My Upwork profile was denied...

Unfortunately, at this time there are already many freelancers with a similar skillset to yours and we cannot accept your application.

Minor setback, but I’ll continue resubmitting as time goes on.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
Ok, so bad news. My Upwork profile was denied...

Minor setback, but I’ll continue resubmitting as time goes on.

Wow. Had never heard of that happening on Upwork. Didn’t know they were controlling supply.

Anyways. Nothing like picking up local business listings and dialing/emailing/walking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Wow. Had never heard of that happening on Upwork. Didn’t know they were controlling supply.

Anyways. Nothing like picking up local business listings and dialing/emailing/walking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neither. I hate when people say Upwork is saturated but then this happens and it makes you wonder.

But you’re right. Gotta play the hand you’re dealt and keep on moving!

I’ll fiddle around with the skills and stuff to see if I can slip through but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When Lex’s group was running there would be so many people complaining about the silliness of being on the Upwork platform.

I’m sure there’s benefits to being on Upwork but I’d rather control my own destiny and be a big fish in a small pond.

Start with the people closest to you?

Check out the first (and second?) quote in my signature.

Check out the “Spend your money on diesel and coffee” thread too.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
When Lex’s group was running there would be so many people complaining about the silliness of being on the Upwork platform.

I’m sure there’s benefits to being on Upwork but I’d rather control my own destiny and be a big fish in a small pond.

Agreed. And if you don't have any people close to you who need help, it's possible to start getting to know people on LinkedIn.

I don't spend much time on Upwork anymore. I don't think it's a rich source of freelance AdWords gigs. Most require AdWords certifications and years of experience managing hundreds of thousands in ad spend to deal with their ads for $10/hour. Personally, that's not the type of clients I want to work with.

If you still wanna get on UpWork, just to get started, one rejection isn't something that should set you back. And remember that you're in the US, so unless Upwork's changed in the last few months, you're at an advantage when it comes to getting accepted and being hired on there.

Have you entered all the information on your profile? How did you write your summary and title? I find that closely following the layout of their example profiles, but trying out new job titles and skill sets often work best. When you eventually submit your application with the right title, you'll get approved in less than a minute.

Go for some less popular skill. Even if it's not related to AdWords. You can always change it once you're approved.

Ashish Kulkarni

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2018
Stirling, UK
A large majority of the Google grants clients I had, were just way too much hassle for the money.

I dropped that like a hot potato years ago. You however, may like it to get started and gain experience.

They always seemed to have the least amount of money, but the most amount of need/problems.

You mileage may differ though.

That is trouble with most Small Business Owner clients. Very little understanding of the problem. Hence, very little budget allocated. Trying to become mega rich of a shoe string budget or with your money.

Best thing is to drop them. Not worth wasting your free time. Rather, spend time reading some useful books.

Regards,

Ashish.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Agreed. And if you don't have any people close to you who need help, it's possible to start getting to know people on LinkedIn.

I don't spend much time on Upwork anymore. I don't think it's a rich source of freelance AdWords gigs. Most require AdWords certifications and years of experience managing hundreds of thousands in ad spend to deal with their ads for $10/hour. Personally, that's not the type of clients I want to work with.

If you still wanna get on UpWork, just to get started, one rejection isn't something that should set you back. And remember that you're in the US, so unless Upwork's changed in the last few months, you're at an advantage when it comes to getting accepted and being hired on there.

Have you entered all the information on your profile? How did you write your summary and title? I find that closely following the layout of their example profiles, but trying out new job titles and skill sets often work best. When you eventually submit your application with the right title, you'll get approved in less than a minute.

Go for some less popular skill. Even if it's not related to AdWords. You can always change it once you're approved.

I’ll keep trying. Thanks!

This definitely isn’t going to stop me. I’m still going to network. Including on reddit r/forhire.

Do you think some of the smaller freelance sites are worth it? (PeoplePerHour, Guru.com, etc.)

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Great advice Andy, especially when that small pond still does billions of $$$ in sales a year.

People underestimate how much business is done outside of the tech sector.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Do you think some of the smaller freelance sites are worth it? (PeoplePerHour, Guru.com, etc.)
I got the impression that PeoplePerHour was kinda cheap with a lot of wantrepreneurs looking for low-cost labour. But there were some real businesses as well.

Guru.com I haven't spent much time on, but from the little I've seen trying it out, it does look more like a place where you could build high-quality business relationships.

Don't have any other sites in mind, to be honest. (Just stay away from Freelancer.com by the way. Terrible site, client quality and you need to pay for every little feature)

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I got the impression that PeoplePerHour was kinda cheap with a lot of wantrepreneurs looking for low-cost labor. But there were some real businesses as well.

Guru.com I haven't spent much time on, but from the little I've seen trying it out, it does look more like a place where you could build high-quality business relationships.

Don't have any other sites in mind, to be honest. (Just stay away from Freelancer.com by the way. Terrible site, client quality and you need to pay for every little feature)
Thanks Jon!

It sucks that most of these freelancing sites are so bad when it comes to quality work. It would be nice to have a good platform to find jobs and get paid, but it sounds like everything is just a race to the bottom.

I think I'll stick to reddit + networking locally and on LinkedIn.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
So I’m a turn of events, my UpWork account was accepted!

I think I’ll try it out for a bit and see what kind of traction I can get.

If it doesn’t work out then no sweat, I’ll move on.

Here’s a link to my profile: Caleb B.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good for you. Well done getting accepted.

Let's say I'm looking for a Google Ads (AdWords specialist).

Firstly, I probably don't know Google rebranded AdWords to Google Ads, so squeeze AdWords in there somehow.

Secondly, I don't care about JavaScript Automation, and have no idea what AMP is.

Can you try and answer these:
  1. Who do you help?
  2. What do you help them with?
  3. How do you do it?

For posterity:

upload_2018-8-22_22-49-36.png

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Good for you. Well done getting accepted.

Let's say I'm looking for a Google Ads (AdWords specialist).

Firstly, I probably don't know Google rebranded AdWords to Google Ads, so squeeze AdWords in there somehow.

Secondly, I don't care about JavaScript Automation, and have no idea what AMP is.

Can you try and answer these:
  1. Who do you help?
  2. What do you help them with?
  3. How do you do it?

For posterity:

View attachment 21035
Thank you for the criticism Andy.

I had to fluff up my skills to get accepted because Upwork is really cracking down on how many people of the same skills get accepted.

Anyway, here is my re-write:

upload_2018-8-23_12-24-56.png

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thinking about taking @Lex DeVille's course on Upwork Proposals after reading his thread and watching his videos. What do you guys think?

The course: Advanced Upwork Proposals: How To 10X Client Responses Fast

I'd like to stay laser-focused on one platform to see where it takes me instead of trying to get clients from everywhere, and not gaining any speed.

Sort of master-of-one vs jack-of-all-trades.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.