The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Year's Goals are Stupid

Anything related to matters of the mind

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just a quick rant. Not just for this forum, but society in general.

This forum has recently been flooded with 2020 goals. They started a few weeks ago. The second December started, people started setting their goals for 2020.

Here's the problem with that: Having a procrastination mindset that you'll start on something tomorrow instead of today almost always results in failure. When December started, there was still 1/12th of the year left. 8.3% of the year. For those of you with B2C businesses, likely 20%+ of your revenue left. For those of you without businesses, a ton of time to change your life around.

In most countries you get the most days off around the holidays. Christmas. New Year's Day. That all combined, you likely get a week or two off where you're either on vacation or the boss doesn't care. For students, you get 2-3 weeks off. That's a lot of time to invest into changing your life and creating positive habits that will have an impact for a lifetime.

Creating goals for 2020 that could be started on today is absolutely ridiculous. By doing so, you're jumping over all the free time that's oncoming, and deciding to start on your goals in the absolute worst time - start of the year when everyone goes back into the grind and work mode. That goes for entrepreneurial pursuits. Health pursuits. Anything. Those of you that want to lose fat in 2020? That gym is going to have 3x more idiots come January. Have fun transitioning then. Those of you that will start your business after the the new year? Your boss/professor/whoever is about to hit you with the same exact work that you've been getting.

Procrastination is the epitome of mediocrity. Setting New Year's Goals for things that could be started today is the perfect example of that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
“I’ll do it tomorrow”

A great way to use procrastination to break a bad habit but a terrible way to achieve goals of action. Put off smoking a cigarette until tomorrow. Put off eating McDonalds until tomorrow.

BUILD SOMETHING TODAY.

I tell myself this constantly.Occasionally I listen...

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
883%
Sep 24, 2019
Today is December 13 and it marks 95% of the year.

Which means, there's still a full 5% of the year left.

So now you gotta make a choice between two ways of thinking.
  • The year is basically done, so you might as well call it in until January.
  • The year is basically done, so you might as well go balls to the wall and end it savagely.
The difference is much more than a few days of work.

Winners choose to conserve momentum. Read this sentence again, because it contains one of the biggest secrets to success. Those who know, know.

I'm gonna kill it this last 5%, are you?

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest
It's really interesting that everyone in this thread so far assumes that someone setting goals for 2020 1) Isn't planning to do any groundwork to get those things moving forward and 2) Is sitting around watching television for the next 18 days rather than being fully committed to pieces he/she already has underway.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
It's really interesting that everyone in this thread so far assumes that someone setting goals for 2020 1) Isn't planning to do any groundwork to get those things moving forward and 2) Is sitting around watching television for the next 18 days rather than being fully committed to pieces he/she already has underway.
There's always exceptions to the rule, but most people won't do jackshit in the following weeks. That's why most people are still living the scripted life.

--------------------

Over the last few weeks, I came to the realization that procrastination is one important tool the script holds against us. We "learned" that behavior through instinct.

What happens when you're done doing your homework ? You're free! Go play ! Go waste your time.

What happens when school is over ? "Free" time until dinner.

What happens after work ? Hey, you got time to watch the TV show !

We're so used to having our schedule dictated by the society's standards that we don't know what to do when we're given "free" time. So we waste it on dumb shit. No wonder the general vibe in the north american society is negative, and everyone is depressed or burnt out.

The script is depressing as F*ck. holy shit.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island

I didn’t quote it, but the big line for me in the OP was basically “Why wait?” Setting goals is always good. I have been guilty forever of putting off action by setting future goals that are linked to future action.
I try to link future goals to today’s action. I don’t always succeed, though! The easy path for me is always putting it off. Not everyone is that way.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
There's always exceptions to the rule, but most people won't do jackshit in the following weeks. That's why most people are still living the scripted life.

See, that's just weird to me. It's entirely possible that you're right about the norm, but when I have a new idea that goes on the list of things I want to accomplish, I definitely don't start today unless there's something already in the mix that I want to sacrifice. That just leads to that chaotic skipping back and forth thing people do where they start six different things and not finish any one of them. I have initiatives already underway and they take priority unless there's a compelling reason that something else gets bumped up the list. I honestly assumed that was how most people operated (kind of still do...I know there are people sitting around watching Netflix 6 hours/day, but I don't think they're would-be entrepreneurs).

Possibly I just don't have a good grasp on "the norm"--I haven't participated in it in decades--but I really want to believe that most competent adults are doing something in furtherance of their own goals already, and that if they've opted for spending the day fishing instead of growing a business, it was a conscious decision and that's a priority for them.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Next year the proverbial gas station dog will get off the rusty nail. Til then he’ll probably please himself and eat Doritos while playing video games.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
See, that's just weird to me. It's entirely possible that you're right about the norm, but when I have a new idea that goes on the list of things I want to accomplish, I definitely don't start today unless there's something already in the mix that I want to sacrifice. That just leads to that chaotic skipping back and forth thing people do where they start six different things and not finish any one of them.
See, you’ve already got action happening! I think that puts you in a different kind of “goal setting” bracket. My frustration (I can’t speak for the OP) is putting off action when none is being taken. Yes, I too can pile too many urgent ideas on my plate and end up getting nowhere on any of it.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
Completely agree.

Those with a mindset of “I’ll start on January 1” are destined for failure.

I'm just struggling with the leap from someone saying "These are my goals for 2020" and the conclusion that they meant, "I'll start January 1."

Do you not have any long-term goals? Medium term goals? Does the fact that you aim to complete something or reach a certain landmark within 90 days or six months or a year mean that you're not planning to start working on them before that point?

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Now I'm victim to procrastination and currently learning to curb certain bad habits I've attained over the years but I have always despised New Years resolutions. Everyone forces themselves to make new goals and aspirations for the new year just because it's the 'normal' thing to do and of course most people lose interest after the New Years shenanigans are over. Shit like valentines day also, forced affection. Why wait till this one specific day of the year to show your other half you care about them?

The script is so so depressing.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I'm just struggling with the leap from someone saying "These are my goals for 2020" and the conclusion that they meant, "I'll start January 1."

Do you not have any long-term goals? Medium term goals? Does the fact that you aim to complete something or reach a certain landmark within 90 days or six months or a year mean that you're not planning to start working on them before that point?
I don't think most of the op was aimed at those of us who are doing; probably more for those of us who are daydreaming, in a socially scripted way, about doing.

I personally use New Years for Chinese food and 3 Stooges. The other 364 days are for planning and working.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I agree. Start today. Why start next year? Do it now. Want to get in shape? Start today, don't wait until some magical page change in a calendar to clog up the gym with your fat a$$, do it now!

December and January suck a$$ because no one wants to work. It is insanely annoying. Throw in USA Thanksgiving and that is nearly an entire extra week in November where no one does anything!

cor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
May 8, 2016
The World
I understand the sentiment but it's a little cynical.

I get the whole "why not just start today" thing, but allowing yourself to have a clean slate every year is really helpful and motivational. The psychology works, most people start the thing they promised themselves they would do, but sticking with it is a whole other story. However, I think that part has little to do with setting goals and more with people not understanding how to stay disciplined and motivated.

My issue with it more is that settings goals feels a lot nicer and better than actually doing the work. So there's a lot of action faking that happens. But I don't know if it's productive to say "New Year's Goals are Stupid" - more like, "You're doing New Year's Goals All Wrong, Here's Why..."

Good post nonetheless OP, I just don't want to discourage the wrong (or right?) people from using this clean slate to build upon something amazing in 2020 for themselves.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
I don't think most of the op was aimed at those of us who are doing; probably more for those of us who are daydreaming, in a socially scripted way, about doing.

I personally use New Years for Chinese food and 3 Stooges. The other 364 days are for planning and working.

I think you're probably right, but the declaration seemed pretty broad based. Possibly just pushed a hot button for me because one thing I have noticed across the decades is that when people get on board with a new mindset or philosophy or regimen or whatever, being "in the club" often becomes so much a part of their identity that they lump the rest of the world into one giant category that's presumed to do or not do a specific thing. That often seems to lead to the type of assumption it seemed to me OP was making: If you say "goals for 2020, you're sitting on your a$$ making excuses not to move forward."

The truth is that while a significant percentage of the world is going through the motions, stuck in a rut, not making decisions, procrastinating, etc., it's not "everyone else"--and you certainly can't tell whether or not someone is in that category by the fact that they used a single phrase like "goals for the new year."

Former lawyer...taught critical reasoning....I've got a thing about assumptions.

VincentVega24

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 26, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany

This forum has recently been flooded with 2020 goals. They started a few weeks ago. The second December started, people started setting their goals for 2020.

Here's the problem with that: Having a procrastination mindset that you'll start on something tomorrow instead of today almost always results in failure. When December started, there was still 1/12th of the year left. 8.3% of the year. For those of you with B2C businesses, likely 20%+ of your revenue left. For those of you without businesses, a ton of time to change your life around.

In most countries you get the most days off around the holidays. Christmas. New Year's Day. That all combined, you likely get a week or two off where you're either on vacation or the boss doesn't care. For students, you get 2-3 weeks off. That's a lot of time to invest into changing your life and creating positive habits that will have an impact for a lifetime.

Creating goals for 2020 that could be started on today is absolutely ridiculous. By doing so, you're jumping over all the free time that's oncoming, and deciding to start on your goals in the absolute worst time - start of the year when everyone goes back into the grind and work mode. That goes for entrepreneurial pursuits. Health pursuits. Anything. Those of you that want to lose fat in 2020? That gym is going to have 3x more idiots come January. Have fun transitioning then. Those of you that will start your business after the the new year? Your boss/professor/whoever is about to hit you with the same exact work that you've been getting.

Procrastination is the epitome of mediocrity. Setting New Year's Goals for things that could be started today is the perfect example of that.
Thank you for this post!
Although I already set goals for 2020, they merge with the things I'm currently working on.

When December started, there was still 1/12th of the year left. 8.3% of the year.
I love this, really helps visualizing time and planning it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I treat every Monday as New Years Day. It’s an exciting fresh new week where we draw a line in the sand and don’t bring any baggage forward from the previous week.

I told my dad once and he smiled and asked: “Why don’t you do that every day?”.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
I treat every Monday as New Years Day. It’s an exciting fresh new week where we draw a line in the sand and don’t bring any baggage forward from the previous week.

Me too! I'm a huge lover of Mondays. I haven't worked a traditional work week in about a dozen years, but I have held on to the power of Mondays even so.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness

Great rant.

Many of us do something productive but are still avoiding at the same time.

Somewhere somebody considers hanging out on an entrepreneur forum procrastination. But I think a feeling of starting fresh is healthy for all even if 90% do the exact same things expecting different results.

I have a feeling 2020 is going to be special in a lot of ways.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Totally Agree, dont postpone till tommorow, what you can get started with today!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I love this season -- which for me starts on Thanksgiving and ends on New Years Day. I know that sounds kind of silly to some of you. It gives me a chance to do heavy introspection and major housekeeping -- both real and figuratively. I clean out, throw away, give away, and/or replace the worn-out items in my home and businesses. I get the bookkeeping ready to close out for the year and set up next year's books. I look over this year's goals and set up next year's list. The most important issues in that list become bullet points in my daily log for the following year. ( I mark off those bullet points as I address them during my workday.) While the rest of the world is partying and doing holidays, I'm closing out this year and setting my stage for the new year.

This year has been amazing! Things have really clicked. And a bunch of benchmarks and major goals have been crossed off of my list. I'm blown away by that much progress.

Yes, I'm opening a new business with a partner after the first. I talked to my insurance agent today to get the application for the bond and the insurance coverage. I talked to my partner and OKed two sales transactions that he's lined up for us -- so we can hit the ground running. After New Year Day, I'll set up the LLC, the business license, the sales tax account, the professional license, the surety bond, the insurance and then I'll finish building the web site with the email list. I don't want to set up any of that before New Years because I don't want to do 0 income returns or pay for 2 years for any of it. It's been in the planning since early last summer. We rented the space for the twin businesses Labor Day weekend. The sister business which belongs to my partner is up and going. That business is critical because it supports our new joint business. Along with with the superior new location, and the sister business, we will be able to gain a lot of organic growth. Timing is everything. Like a friend says, "It's better to be in rhythm than to be right."

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I replied last night and then I realized that you are using the wrong word -- you're NOT talking about goals... you're talking about wishful thinking. Real goals have feet. They have baby steps that the person who takes that road does every day of his life. Those baby steps become entrenched habits that become a natural part of his life. Goals have benchmarks that are achieved along to the way to measure the relentless progress.

Setting a real goal takes time and true consideration. It's a conscious decision to start on an all consuming path that has a beginning, an action phase, and an ending. Each phase needs to be planned. The action phase must be divided into those necessary daily baby steps. Benchmarks must be set to gauge progress toward the desired ending -- which is one's result. Goal setting is a life-changing commitment. Anything short of this deliberative process is just wishful thinking. And you're right -- a waste of time.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014

Ever since I quit my job to run my business full time, I actually look forward to Mondays more than I do to weekends...

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’ll play devils advocate. For some people it helps at least try again. It gives them the perception of an opportunity or a new start to try even though yes, I agree the opportunity is always there. Not everyone quits in February.
It’s not much different than saying, “ew Xmas suck everyone is just being hypocrites because of the season” “it should be Mother’s Day every day” etc. well some may but for some maybe also helps them get looser in expressing their feelings or act more affectionate. Or they just get inspired and in the mood by Mariah Carey’s brainwashing song.

Point I’m trying to make... doesn’t hurt anyone, makes them try, so what if it is the 3rd or 40th attempt. At least you know they will try once a year. Or starting Monday.

You know...compassion and stuff :p

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ever since I quit my job to run my business full time, I actually look forward to Mondays more than I do to weekends...

Same here.

I've started to dislike weekends and holidays - and I think below is the reason why.

When you start running your own business, and create a sense of time freedom, then weekends don't mean the same thing anymore. You can take any day off. Take a vacation whenever. A "holiday" is no longer a "holiday" in the same sense since the aspect of freedom flip flops.

Weekends and holidays used to be a time when you could do whatever you wanted and be whoever you wanted. However, once you run your own business with a degree of freedom, the definition changes to "a time where you can't work". It becomes a constraint.

Take a Tuesday for example. On Tuesday, I can: "work and make money", or I can "fly somewhere and relax". On a Sunday, I'm limited to "fly somewhere and relax".

Add to that the number of people clogging up your favorite spots (restaurants, gym, getaways, etc), and you start hating the weekends and holidays.

I have 5 amazing days each week where I can do whatever. 2 days where I can do 80% of what I want to do.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
I set a goal for 2021, which was to survive the 1st of January.

Barely made it, not sure I would if it hadn't been a goal for the year.

What you describe is sort of like if we, as entrepreneurs, would say "Nah, I'll give it a try again next accounting year, wont break the $1 mil profit anyways this accounting year."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.