• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION My failed poor executions

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by LittleWolfie, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $248
    That's what I've been trying to do. Maybe it's because I'm broadly intrested,maybe because I've no idea how to network and generate sales online.

2. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $248
    I missed this reply.

Absolutely I would love this, if we define reasonable commute as 1 to 2 hours a day, then literally all I need is rent money. 10.20(about $14) or 8.75 (about $11) hourly at 40 hours a week depending on if I go south or north. Being a lodger Mon to Fri returning home each weekend is viable then for a few weeks while I look for something better.

Actually if you drive to the train station at Peterborough, you could reach Paris in four hours,the train service there is excellent,although going South of the Thames is rather tricky.

I agree and that's why I spent a chunk of change on learning to drive (lessons are not free through the schools here) the instructor wouldn't put me in for tests, and I ran out of money for more lessons. (It didn't help, that I had no practise partner and so had to pay a lot more for practise) I was told on this fourm this was an excuse though, personally I think failing the test to get the legally required license is a pretty good reason for not driving.

In retrospect, I perhaps should have spent the money on living in London for a bit to try and get work, where I can take a tram or the tube. I don't think I even need the car(there's rental company near the station that delivers them to you anyway.) Having the license, just increases the chances in job applications (they don't believe you can get to them, well I'd relocate) and buy the time I could afford a car, I could afford to move somewhere where I don't need a car anyway.

Great that's a goal then.

It's not about where I'm from, it's about where I'm based or where I am. On the plus side if I move to London or Berlin, I'm still from the same place, all these problems would disaster, because they have decent transit.

It is about the limitations on transit allowing me to visit and reach clients. If it can be done 100% remotely then there is no problem at all. If it involves being at the client's site at specific times then it becomes hard to add enough value to the client to justify the cost I'd need to spend to travel to see them.

I agree, but I'm having a hard time convincing people of this. I don't have a good answer to "why would I hire you, when I can hire someone cheaper in India or Mexico?" What can I offer? How can I reach clients?

Again it's not where I'm from, it is where I am. I get a lot better response to the same copy in the same places looking for remote work/contracting with a London VOIP number than with a local one. Again if I moved to London, I wouldn't have this problem. No one asks where are you from? (That's way more meaningful to me than where you currently live anyway)

There is a brisk trade in Virtual offices and virtual phone numbers, because there is am economic advantage to appearing to be somewhere other than where you are. This is a major model of how outsourcers extract profit. This is kind of why tech support could be a good gig. Easy to have a US number, can be done remotely, time difference and cost of living could allow me to target an unpopular shift. Highly scalable too(plenty of people, here with excellent English, who would love that kind of work at low pay) if I could get clients by outsourcing.

Yes, it was rerun more recently, I meant I sometimes feel like I'm a prisoner here. It is so difficult to just go anywhere, and when you do more of the same.

Be seeing you.

Is it weird that I don't ask people where they are from?

Because quite frankly, that doesn't really add any value or any kind of human connection to me. Oh I know you live in Vancouver, whoop de do.

If instead you had said Sydney, or Johannesburg or Ghana.

That's not going to change my understanding or connection with you based on that answer whatsoever.

Obviously if I was looking to meet up, it would be different.

If I want to hire people of fiverr I don't care where they are (most of them lie anyway because they get more gigs that way)

Is it weird that I've never once ever encountered anybody offline asking me where I'm from?

Is it more of a business action faker thing? Or is it more like where "how are you?" Is American for hello and not actually asking how are you?

What's the appropriate response? If I'm halfway between two villages, can I give alternating names or if I lie and give them the name of the next village, how does that effect the deeper emotional connection?

In fact when you stop to ask me directions, that is a point when it kind of makes sense to ask me if I'm local. No instead I was blithely assumed to be local and asked for directions (how should I know, I'm hundreds of miles from home?

3. sparechange

sparechange Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,737
    #landfill

4. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    I'm sorry to hear that. This thread has really added value to me and perhaps to others. @Late Bloomer would you be okay to switch this to a conversation and see if we can add value to each other there? That way we don't have to worry about the thread being trashed.

5. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    That was just one person's opinion that they'd rather not see this discussion in the main part of the forum. One person's opinion usually isn't enough to shove a post into the "shameful" (as though anyone cared) landfill section. Only the moderation team can decide to do that. They're not required to give a warning, but they probably will if they agree that your thread is too far off topic. If your thread does get moved, just make a new one and send me a note. Might be better to put it in the psychology section rather than have an Execution tag, while you're still trying to figure out your plan.

You're someone who is eager to do something online, but you don't have a clear plan yet. Once you have a plan, you're ready to take action. Your concern is that you want a reasonably solid plan you understand, rather than just thrashing around because some people feel impatient. "Just do it already" is not helpful advice to someone who really doesn't understand just what they're supposed to do.

Most of the reason you don't have a plan, is that you need to learn more about some different possibilities, then compare them to your criteria of what seems feasible. Some of the reason seems to be a psychological hangup about your location. I don't see any of that as too offensive to make the conversation of any use to other people. But if you do need to start a new thread, sure I could continue the conversation with you on a new post.

6. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    Yeah, I took Eurostar from London to Paris a few years ago. I remember that it was really tedious to go along the old, tight-curve track to get out of England. Once in France the line was smooth and fast. Do you know French? After Brexit you'd need a visa application to work and live in France, right?

I agree with you.

If there's any way to make that affordable, without having to live in an unsafe dump, I would recommend it for sure. Walking and transit are fine for London. Driving there is a huge hassle and might not get you anywhere faster. The ability to be in an exciting place with so many people, so many businesses, so many networking opportunities, would open so many new doors for you. More competition, but exponentially more possibilities too.

Cool!

Well that's what I'm suggesting, is that you find a business model where you can be anywhere. Make enough money so that you can then be somewhere!

You're a native English speaker who's fluent. You're in a convenient time zone. And as soon as you figure out your plan, you will have something to sell other than "I can work really dirt cheap."

People in London may actually ask where you're from, but usually as a polite way to make conversation and get to know you a little better, not to pigeonhole and prejudge you. Other than people who only hire by pedigree, and you can't impress them anyway so who cares what they think as they look down their nose at you.

I think your idea of offshore but still first world tech support for US or Canadian company might be a good one. Remember the US is four time zones wide, so there's an eight hour difference from Greenwich to California. I've often thought that a group of tech geeks, with people from Australia, Japan, Singapore, India, Israel, Europe/UK, and US/Canada, should team up to provide worldwide 24 hour support services.

We just want information, information.

I guess you might just have to take it by faith: many people do want to know, for logistics reasons, where their business associates are actually located. And many people do want to know, just out of curiosity and a sincere interest in what life is like for other people, where people live. It comes across as evasive, having some reason to hide, if you're not forthcoming with a simple, direct answer.

Yeah, the answer to "how are you" is "fine, thanks, and you?" regardless of how you actually are. Which is no different to many cultures, like the answer to "How do you do?" is "How do you do?"

If the person asking is outside the UK, how about, "I'm in a small village in Lincolnshire, England. Are you familiar with it?"
    If the person is inside the UK, how about, "I'm in a small village in Lincolnshire. Are you familiar with it?"
    How about also adding, "I'm thinking of moving to London in the next couple of years, it seems that it's got more high tech stuff going on."

Well I tried to ask a cow, but Bessie only mooed and rang her bell at me. I figured I'd try asking a person next time.

LittleWolfie likes this.
  7. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    Non et non. :) though it gives a good idea of the speed. It might be better for me going across the sea to Netherlands. I could always learn Dutch/German/French.

Well the last thread, I felt was adding value for me, got thrown in there. I tagged it execution, because these were all my failures. I'd gone out, or advertised online to try and get customers, whatsapped or IM'd and done surveys to see if I was meeting their need. They didn't succeed, and after speaking to customers, I decided they were not viable for me at that stage. However it is still doing something, I kinda expected more positive responses for taking action,even if it didn't lead to money coming in. I am looking for a reasonably solid plan that's true.

The only way to do it is to have an income from job,contracting or online company, so it's not really viable right now. Birmingham Is slightly cheaper and over a million still with good transit, or I can go somewhere close by. If I'm working remotely, I can always base myself nearer,and take the train to London on days off/evening. Peterborough has quicker service to kings cross, than areas South of the Thames!

I think your idea of offshore but still first world tech support for US or Canadian company might be a good one. Remember the US is four time zones wide, so there's an eight hour difference from Greenwich to California. I've often thought that a group of tech geeks, with people from Australia, Japan, Singapore, India, Israel, Europe/UK, and US/Canada, should team up to provide worldwide 24 hour support services.

Okay, I got lazy now, I figured on Alaskan night shift working well for me, maybe swing shift at me and further in. I had not thought of Canada, that's another target market. Possibly a better market than US. Labour,colour and so on are not seen as spelling mistakes, I think costs that are comparable to US. I think Australia, might be a bit much? I'd have thought they'd likely find day hours support locally too, so wasn't thinking about 24/7.

Hmm, I wonder if there are many Vancouver based companies that would want 24/7 tech support, that I could reach online. I figure on 6 people as a bare minimum for 24/7, in case one is sick or unavailable.

Ask a German how are you, and you had best make sure you have 40 minutes to listen to all the complaints and whines and how his brothers car has broke down sonnow he has to take the aunt to get the union surgery and now because of that he's not going to be able to go to the event that was planned 2 weeks in advance (Because he is German) and that's a €40 non refundable ticket and nobody will want to go and buy the ticket off him because it's only one week, and all of Germany plans everything 2 weeks in advance.....

You did ask. This is the nice thing with Germans. Market resarch is so easy. Turn up,ask how are you, repeat. Now you've lots of data.

If a Londoner asks me where I'm from, I can tell them about being born in Camberwell(too bad for me the family moved away, when I was still a baby) driving would never have been a problem then. They normally and where do you live or where are you based though rather than where you are from. I'm not ashamed of having able of cockney heritage there, but I'm not living there. I like the idea of adding on I'm looking to move afterwards.

8. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    In American English, that means, where do you currently reside. Unless you're in a place with more tourists than locals. The historical question would be, where do you come originally? or, where did you grow up?

I'll respond to the rest tomorrow or the next day, got a big conference call with the client tomorrow.

LittleWolfie likes this.
  9. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    Luckily most Londoners don't speak American.

Good luck with the conference call. I have got a few timezones I can exploit to keep the local hours the same, though it depends on where the clients I am servicing are and what time they want.

Trying to figure out what extra value I can offer a Canadian company over a local or someone in a lower cost of living country like India.

I love the idea because it's both slowlane (money for work,pays the bills) and fastlane (cut of the work your finding for other people) while still being location independent, and allowing a four day week. Giving me time to work on the business/other niches. Though I'm not sure how to reach the target market. It's going to be hard without boots on the ground so to speak.

Nor what particular value I/company can add.

Based on Vancouver I have;

Night shifts work well, swing shifts are tolerable as I'm a morning person.

Set up as four long days (Maybe four on and four off) with others, to serve all timezones

Annualised averaging is available here, so overtime payments can be reduced for peak periods. I'm not sure about the rest of Canada but I understand it's not available in bc.

I can take CAD payments via IBAN. Potential to set up acceptance for Canadian credit cards,PayPal etc. Maybe invoice in CAD ? (Little more expensive on my end, but maybe of value to clients?

Can set up Canadian Number with voip forwarding.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Late Bloomer likes this.
  10. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    I don't know if someone has already tried something like this and talked about it in the forum. Might be worth your while to try some different search terms. Maybe there's already a thread about "time zone arbitrage."

11. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    I couldn't find anything here, that's just a subset of geoarbitarge though or "follow the sun", switching over to another location seamlessly, thus providing 24/7 support. Plenty of advice on how to do this, what software to use,etc

Just like your example above, UK/CAN/AUS cover enough timezones to make it viable.

I/employees/freelancers work during the day, clients get cover at night without paying a premium for night work.

The issue is finding clients or at the very least people in the target market to interview or finding my starving audience as a fastlaner puts it. This always seems to be the problem for me, the cost per person to reach someone is simply too high.

I'm working through the copy, but that doesn't help.

Perhaps I need to go back to concentrating on the slowlane job route,so I can finance a move.

12. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    I know that "conventional wisdom" of this forum is to not get stuck in the slowlane. But for you, it makes sense if you can do something that gets you into a slowlane in Birmingham or London, where you have a much better opportunity to pull ahead. If there are more good jobs, more companies you could serve as your clientele, more tech and business minded people to learn from and team up with, maybe a business library or incubator to hang out at, etc., a year in that environment should bring dozens of new people and opportunities into your life.

I will send you a private note about the 24/7 support idea.

LittleWolfie likes this.
  13. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    I've not thought of trying Birmingham to be honest. I've not had much luck with London, I've had better results with Berlin,Warsaw and Amsterdam . A major issue I've been running into is attending interviews. I'm either arriving mid afternoon (few interviews) or need an overnight hotel/AirBnB (adds expense) now when you think I might need 10 to 100 interviews (100 people for every job) it becomes very expensive,very quickly.

At least if it can be done by skype/phone I can get a million NOs for the price of one NO . As the salesmen say each NO gets you closer to a yes. All of the other cities I mentioned have offered that, UK seems to be the only one that requires you to trudge up to them.

I think in need to get remote work, so that I can move to somewhere better, then I can look for better opportunity (slowlane or not), then I can fastlane.

I'll try a few temp jobs in Birmingham,perhaps I'll have better luck there than London.(That will get me in an area to look for slowlane jobs, and fastlane)

So looking for remote slowlane is a good option too, but again comes back to what value can I add over someone in a lower cost of living area? Why should anyone hire me for remote work?

Would be helpful to figure out where the opportunity are likely to be, what kind of population are we looking at?

A million?.Half a million? 300,000? I can work out then if it's worth going north to Leeds,Harrogate,Scotland etc

That would be an interesting discussion in itself,ideal population within an hour's drive/transit for a good sustainable local fastlane.

Sadly the cold calling work form home I went for turned out to be scam (though I think giving people like me a script,training ,phone numbers and cold calling payment could be a valuable lead gen for those who like to go from cold to warm leads.

Though why should they hire me over anyone else?

14. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    I thought you were the one who brought it up? Sorry if I misunderstood you there.

I agree that looks like your best bet right now.

Wrong question. A better question should be, how can I find, appeal to, connect with clients who would like to pay more to get more, and they have a good reason to see me as better than the world's cheapest commodity?

Sorry to her that, hope you weren't out too much time and money before you found that out. There are marketing agencies who will do cold calls from a client's script, and who will help develop that script. But it sounds like you didn't find a legitimate company like that.

15. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    I didn't think of it until I saw you mention Birmingham and London as being places four hours commute away. Then you mentioned somewhere with a million companies. That gives me more options. I could see London as full of opportunity, I never thought of Birmingham,Manchester,Leeds,Edinburgh,Derby-Nottingham so a few more options for me there.

Your right, that's the question I need to answer. I have no idea. In person is out,I've not had success via Facebook groups,LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, upwork, ebay or craigslist. They will all rather pay someone cheaper in India/Mexico

Far too much time sadly,but luckily not money.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  16. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    @ZCP

Here is my thread where I'm describing where I have attempted and failed to make progress. You could say I'm progressing through the failure steps.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 9:15 AM
  17. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $18,315
    @LittleWolfie
    ok. show me where you have done each of the following:
    - read the books
    - studied the forum deeply (not just made a bunch of 'why that won't work for me' posts)
    - run CENTS on several ideas
    - done some initial mkt research / sales work to get the 'echo'
    - have a pretty decent idea and the first few steps started

don't reply with your quick, whimsical, extremely shallow standard reply. go deep.

you have 263 posts in 19 days. time to stop posting and start working. go deep.

give detailed specifics with what AND why along with your detailed analysis of each of the items above.
    if you complete all of that in one post before the end of the week, you are not going deep enough. you are just giving shallow answers and minimal work. go deep. stop talking / posting, start thinking.

Superkid likes this.
  18. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    How do I show that? I've posted in the appropriate thread I've read the books, I've made comments based on my understanding of the books in my posts.

That should show what I have read.
    How do I show that I've studied the forum deeply? I've easily spent 40 hours studying before I even registered. How do I show it? This is something I struggle with, I know all about show not tell, however what to me is an obvious show doesn't always seem to come through.

In a lot of cases it is things I was trying before being here. A lot of the basics ideas seem to have been covered elsewhere, so I'm giving history. Sorry if that's not clear enough.

I'll put the market resarch documents to the thread.

I don't have one, I'm looking for it.

How can I phrase this to avoid sounding whiny? Since I'm certain they are not psychological blocks, I will say this; If @LateBloomer says they will work for me,right now.
    Then I will belive that is a decent idea that will work for me right now and I will try it.

To meet my criteria for being a decent idea for me. If I find an idea that fits within the constraints I have then it will work for me and de facto be a decent idea

Constraints.

Needs to be deliverable entirely online and not require driving (or it needs to inherently include someone driving me about)
    accept an internet connection of 10-15Mb/s(or less/no internet)
    Or pay enough for me to afford transit or relocate (£400 a week will be plenty)
    Must be legal here(no cannabis companies)
    Has to make enough profit in order to afford the appropriate VAT taxes(and licensing in the long run, I don't mind a small capital investment if I can see the money in the long run)

I'm open to suggestions and would love to hear examples from people who succeeded in similar situations.

Appen has been the best one so far,although it violates control, hope to get a positive response from them.

Ok specifics. one reddit post reached 2500 people within 24 hours and cost no more than the cost of the computer and internet and has now been seen by more than the entire local population.
    Too bad I couldn't monetise it.

Where can I generate a 'sales' echo online? Does posting to craigslist even though I can't deliver count?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    Late Bloomer likes this.
  19. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $18,315
    for studying the forum:
    what specific threads have you studied? what couple of bullet points did you get from each? what actionable items did you learn that you can used in your idea search?

take one of your ideas and do the CENTS analysis here (show your work), explain each step.....

slow down and analyze.

20. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    Different angle to finding need/want

Asking people what they use spreadsheets for could be a way of idea generation.

Actionable advice for me right now, none I don't have people who use spreadsheets daily I can talk too.

This thread So I'm now jobless and I gotta survive. Kinda need a bit of support(a bit anxious?)

Health is important too, don't neglect it.
    Small quick short term gains can help.

Appen is a good fit for me right now

Terms such as social media evaluator could be used to help find the skill building weekend work.

Ive not found anything else yet from that thread.

CENTS Commandments (or NECST) in Pictures this one great video of CENTS requirements

Takeaway Need is hardest for me to satisfy/evaluate Its about getting that sales ,echo' those early pre orders so that I can evaualte. Why spend 3 months building something the market doesn't want?

Taking one idea not mine sadly lost the post form here "ICO kit for the average joe"

Control? Yes, sell via your own online shop as a channel, set amongst as many as possible.

Entry barrier? Yes, otherwise it would be built. Need to know how to launch a crypto, configure dapp,remastered,wubi ,rdp,there's a reason it doesn't exist yet. (Ok legal is a bit more of a barrier) I'm selling the shovels rather than the gold so looking at shovel law though.

Need? Maybe. Waves is this for crypto enthusiasts niche and still makes money.

The average Joe or man next door may well want to get in to crypto (see buy Bitcoin trending) but not know much, I need to figure what search terms they would use.

Time? Yes, once built pretty easy to automate(or just put up with the odd hour a day regardless of number of customers)

Scale? Yup potentially @500 customers(though 180 gives better performance) on one app server plus 1024 connections on the pass through. So say 2 servers for each group of 1-180. Automatic provisioning systems are widely available eliminating most of the hard work (a lower tech version is available via print on demand technology. Let people order the disc and have Amazon or other supplier make and ship it on a per unit basis) lower margin per customer(single tennant) but a lot easier to automate (forward an email) and manage.

21. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $6,042
    It's not that he's randomly thrashing from one potential idea to another. I think that once he sees something that might realistically have a chance to work, he'll hit it hard and keep going. It seems to me the problem is coming up with a workable idea at all, for some kind of freelance work or some kind of potential product that's possible to start selling immediately.

22. ZCP

Rep Bank:
    $18,315
  23. ZCP

Rep Bank:
    $18,315
    @LittleWolfie if you are unable to find an idea (which seems to be a negative mindset that you have taken and i hope to be able to help you with), then buy a business. ....... and before the 'why i can't's' begin to come out, look and see what is available first. do work.

24. ZCP

Rep Bank:
    $18,315
    i haven't read the 260+ posts in 19 days ...... looked to me like there was a lot of discussion, not much depth. maybe we can switch it from 'why can't I' to 'how can I'.......

25. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $248
    You obviously didn't read my constraints. However I have been looking at ones available in similar areas to see of there is something copyable