The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello, I don't want to be a millionaire

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Hi all and at @MJ DeMarco

Edit because I forgot to tag.

Something of a clickbaity title. I've stumbled across this site looking for answers so I've not read this book yet.

I have read a lot of these kind of self help books and haven't found any success yet. I don't want to say all I need is the money, one of the reasons I'm stating that I don't want to be a millionaire, that's why the lambos mention put me off a bit (prob because the cryptocurrency lot are obsessed with them) but I just want a simple affordable life.

however l feel that their is a lack of opportunity locally (and I don't always have internet access, which doesn't help), I can't drive and there is a dearth of transit, so I need remote work, which lets me move, so I can find other oppotinites, others have said I'm basically in the situation where a founder has been hit by a bus lol.

My ideas never seem to generate much traction.(and never paying customers)

I often think we'll, I should go to place x and sell them there, so I need to come up with a way that lets me afford the plane tickets and hotel rooms :) I tried using fb ads (becomes too expensive) and getting people in the area in craigslist to look for the customers for me (cheaper than the travel) but no one want to do so even foe what little money I have.

My definition of success/ideal lifestyle is about $4000 A month income stream for working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, from anywhere with a laptop and the internet. For me it's more about freedom to go where the opportunity might be located, to network with people in other countries. That said half that income would be a real boon, at least I could afford a few weekends away for networking, flipping etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

SevenJay

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 12, 2015
You are at a perfect starting point to read Fastlane. It talks about lambos but you have to see it like a trophy, a symbol. Your Lambo can be anything, an apartment, a tour of the world. MJ was passionate about cars and a Lambo was his symbol, but "your Lambo" can be whatever you consider a trophy.
The reason such a forum is built around a book is because the book is well worth it, so just read it, I read it many times, it's like a good movie, every time you find something new in it.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
You are at a perfect starting point to read Fastlane. It talks about lambos but you have to see it like a trophy, a symbol. a Lambo was his symbol, but "your Lambo" can be whatever you consider a trophy.
The reason such a forum is built around a book is because the book is well worth it, so just read it, I read it many times, it's like a good movie, every time you find something new in it.
Thanks, I guess my lambo is the income level.and work life balance above. I like the idea of the apartment, that gives a lot of independence to people. I'll read the book when I can get my hands on a copy. Is there a off or ebook version so I don't have to wait foe delivery?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Sign up for audible and you get your first book free. Definitely do Millionaire Fastlane as an audiobook, MJ’s narration adds a whole extra layer to it.

And @SevenJay hit the nail on the head. The Lamborghini is just a stand in for your “why”. My Lambo is paying off our debts and getting to fly airplanes whenever I want.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Sign up for audible and you get your first book free. Definitely do Millionaire Fastlane as an audiobook, MJ’s narration adds a whole extra layer to it.

And @SevenJay hit the nail on the head. The Lamborghini is just a stand in for your “why”. My Lambo is paying off our debts and getting to fly airplanes whenever I want.

Audio books/podcasts are no good for me with my hearing. Went with kindle.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Just finished the fast lane. My thoughts are;
A) I recognise that execution vs idea table, IV'e seen it quoted with the suggestion ideas are overvalued and worth $0

B) I 'm failing because either I have awful execution or can't find a need or both, I'm hoping it is because I have not identified a need, that is enough to go full in.

C) I went from what is the problem with four hour work week, it seems familiar to aha. It is a fine goal from the money tree but not the money tree (Which btw is what Tim Ferries advocates, and is how he made his money on the second attempt, he put work in testing out various fitness regimes, evaluating and sold his knowledge on fitness, only his 1st business wasn't first lane.) I can only conclude people who think they can make the money from 4 hrs a week haven't actually read the author's book. There is a lot of overlap, sure they don't all scale as well, but I think a conscious decision to make less money, is better than trying to make millions. For some the lambo is a Nissan.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
My definition of success/ideal lifestyle is about $4000 A month income stream for working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week

If you could make more than $4k a month for the same amount of work, would you want to do so? Or is there some belief that it would be inappropriate for you to make more money? Or that it would be way too difficult to make more money?

If you could make the same amount of money working less than 10 hours a day, would you do it? Or is there a belief that it would somehow be wrong or unfair or cheating to have money come too quickly and easily?

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
If you could make more than $4k a month for the same amount of work, would you want to do so? Or is there some belief that it would be inappropriate for you to make more money? Or that it would be way too difficult to make more money?

If you could make the same amount of money working less than 10 hours a day, would you do it? Or is there a belief that it would somehow be wrong or unfair or cheating to have money come too quickly and easily?

This EXACTLY. There's so much to unpack in this short post.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
If you could make more than $4k a month for the same amount of work, would you want to do so?
nope, just don't want it, money isn't everything.

Or is there some belief that it would be inappropriate for you to make more money? Or that it would be way too difficult to make more money?

Not at all, I have no desire to wander through the German Alps naked, it doesn't mean I think that it is inappropriate or too difficult or I resent those that do, I'd rather have a hot chocolate with a marshmellow and watch the majestic beauty of the sunset instead. Both are fine.

If you could make the same amount of money working less than 10 hours a day, would you do it?

Absolutely, that's way better. Time is the reward of my moneytree, I'm not afraid to work hard to get there I am pretty happy to make more lump sum money so I can get the passive stream income quicker, but my goal should only go up for inflation. That makes me a bit of an outlaye here I think. I picked up on some hostility to the 4 hour week as commented earlier that's more the way it's handled rather than having that goal on the plus side I should get there quicker cos I don't need to make as much money to.buy a bicycle as someone else does to.buy lambos. We can both be equally happy. Me cycling ting a ling and others beeping in their lambos

Or is there a belief that it would somehow be wrong or unfair or cheating to have money come too quickly and easily?

It would be astounding, amazing an achievement I'd never have believed I could managed a year ago. Certainly an unusual lifepath, but who wants to be average?

Wrong or unfair though? No.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
You've expressed your goals very clearly. I agree that you're a bit of an outlier for this forum. So, use the advice to get as rich as you enjoy, then turn off the machine and enjoy your cocoa as you look out at the sunset!

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Thanks I'm working on my steps and mindset right now.

@Late Bloomer

Just wanted to thank you for the effort you put in, you really made me feel welcome and helped me to get .y head around things.

Shout out to @BookwormMitch too, for his alternative phrasing. I often find that a change of phrasing just makes things "click" when I don't understand them. I'd love to hear suggestions of threads to read to help me understand.

I've been struggling to flip,so that might not be my niche, I have been exploring a niche of a toolkit as DVD or usb stick to let the average person ICO.

I also kind of want to read stuff in the landfill, but can't find it.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
So after getting feedback, I think flipping (in person) is definitely not for me. I need to look towards things that can be accomplished online in the short term. I have difficulty with selling, especially the figurative,hyperbole patter common in sales stuff. So hopefully learning copywriting will help. I have a point where I just freeze at bios or tell me about yourself. I just don't know how to make it sound saleable, and when you are the product, I don't know how to show value. It's not about confidence, I may well know I can, but it's a communication issue.

I also freeze up when asked where do you live, due to previous encounters where a simple answer causes people to simply stop asking, and lose all interest in me. I need to convince people that my location doesn't matter. (Skype,slack,WhatsApp,trellis) all available. Where I live doesn't define me or my abilities (it may push me towards one particular execution)

Right now I'm looking for my minimum viable idea my making money gig.

Freelance might be appropriate at the next point, maybe fiverr if I can think of something suitable to offer. I need to work out my sales patter for what I'm going to sell, and what I am going to sell.

I haven't read unscripted yet so maybe the answer is there.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I have difficulty with selling, especially the figurative,hyperbole patter common in sales stuff. So hopefully learning copywriting will help

Copywriting is salesmanship in print, so unfortunately, if you put a sales presentation in writing it's still selling. Fortunately, selling doesn't have to be all about hype and manipulation. The books High Probability Selling and Non Manipulative Selling (both available used on Amazon for a dollar or so) could be a good start for you to think of sales in a new way. Sales can be simply providing information to people who are already interested in something, to explain that they have a choice to buy more of what they are already interested in. And then politely asking and inviting them to buy.

Fox's web sales videos explain that it's not about making people impressed with how great you are. It's about what the potential client wants for their business, and the fact that you have a reasonable way to help them get what they want. Assuming you have competence at making a functional, nice looking web site, the only question is would they like to pay for that help. Why would they assume your competence? Because you have a little portfolio of maybe three to five sites you did as freebies, and now you're talking with them about their goals and concerns, not about how you are a great coder.

His lessons are not really about web sites. They're about any kind of professional service sales. If you don't learn how to do this with the web, you will still need to learn how to do it if you're going to sell copywriting, or any other service.

A resume/C.V. and job application is still sales and marketing. It's just that what you market and sell with them, is the least effective way (for most people) to turn your expertise and time into money.

Why be ashamed of where you live? If I wanted to hire someone to help with some web technology, I might ask where they live. Maybe they'd say, "I'm in a village of 50 people in a little valley outside of Luxembourg, between Germany and the Netherlands. Strangely, we have the internet now even though running water hasn't been piped into this town since the Romans were forced out in the year 397. As soon as I found out this technology can help me serve clients around the world, I wanted to learn all about it. That's why I've spend the last few years studying computer graphics and now it's why I've got this web business. But enough about me, let's talk some more about what kind of customers you want to help with your new web site and sales letter?" I'd actually find that interesting!

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Copywriting is salesmanship in print, so unfortunately.

Why be ashamed of where you live? If I wanted to hire someone to help with some web technology, I might ask where they live. Maybe they'd say, "I'm in a village of 50 people in a little valley outside of Luxembourg, between Germany and the Netherlands. Strangely, we have the internet now even though running water hasn't been piped into this town since the Romans were forced out in the year 397. As soon as I found out this technology can help me serve clients around the world, I wanted to learn all about it. That's why I've spend the last few years studying computer graphics and now it's why I've got this web business. But enough about me, let's talk some more about what kind of customers you want to help with your new web site and sales letter?" I'd actually find that interesting!

I prefer to think of it as, if I learn copywriting successfully, then I learn other sales too. Thanks for the recommendations,a new way to look could be useful. Though I want to avoid action faking by reading and not executing. Maybe I should set a chapter as my reward for doing something.

I get the general idea, but I don't know how. I tend to describe feautres not benefits and people don't want to know that.

I actually am not good at design, mostly backend, I'm not sure what the demand is for headless websites though. Maybe I should learn some more design/front end stuff.

I'm not ashamed of where I am, but people rapidly lose interest. I think it's because as posted in another thread, networking online isn't enough, you have to network wirh the people in person too. So it's pointless,right now. Unless I lie and tell them I'm somewhere else and am housebound. Seriously, people who are not intrested in me when they know where I live are intrested when they think I'm housebound and only able to Skype in Amsterdam. I a/b tested this with reddit alts on the same guy.

If your working full remote then why would anybody even ask where anybody was based?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
networking online isn't enough, you have to network wirh the people in person too.

There are a LOT of people in this forum who've personally proven you wrong, with very high profits selling to people they've never met in person and never will. Trade in your speculations for learning from their experiences.

If you're full remote, I'll still need to send a contract and a check somewhere. If it's outside my local jurisdiction, then there's a difference in time zones, maybe currency conversion, maybe tariff law, maybe contract law. Nothing to do with you, but there are certain places where I would not be comfortable sending money for a digital service. (Relax, you're not in one of those places. Nigeria is one of those places.) Also it's simply polite to both ask and disclose this information in business. It's disrespectful and looks like hiding something to be evasive about this basic information that really is necessary for people to know.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
There are a LOT of people in this forum who've personally proven you wrong, with very high profits selling to people they've never met in person and never will. Trade in your speculations for learning from their experiences.

I wonder if they networked or made their profits without networking? That was not my speculation but learning from another thread that was posted on here.

I'm also guessing their sales skills were better than mine.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
If you're full remote, I'll still need to send a contract and a check somewhere.

It's disrespectful and looks like hiding something to be evasive about this basic information that really is necessary for people to know.

Email and PayPal work pretty well for sending items digitally, people don't always work the timezone where they are.
I can follow contract law and currency conversion being an issue though. (Upwork handles this with USD though, wherever you are)

I wonder how digital nomads handle this, if their not based anywhere what do they say? Since a location independent lifestyle option is my primary goal, this would be helpful for me, as long as I'm not going the Lambo route

It still doesn't answer the issue when I'm not even looking to get involved on a business transaction but just to have a coffee and a chat over Skype.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I'm not only in a remote area, but the broadband speed is 10-15 Mb/s. I've no idea what these gigs requiring 'fast' broadband require, I have noticeable issues with Skype call (loss of signal connections/freezing) I'm not sure if that is an issue for clients or not. I can gain a faster connection via travel to work units. The bare minimum for renting a desk and travels and transit is £42.30 a day. Any less than that and I'm paying for work. That's assuming I can work 1000-1800 (Unless I can work from home) So with accommodation with high speed wifi available available at less than £200 a week, it very quickly becomes more cost effective to simply move. However I need enough money to fund that. I can't pay for broadband or transit with "equity" or "commission-only" A recoverable draw would be a good option for me.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I wonder if they networked or made their profits without networking? That was not my speculation but learning from another thread that was posted on here.

I'm also guessing their sales skills were better than mine.

They definitely didn't make profits without marketing, without some system to let people meet them, know what they offer, and feel comfortable enough to send them money.
Usually this includes that people want to know where the other people are located, that they're sending money.

The marketing might have included networking. It might not.

There's lots of great material on the forum about sales and marketing.

I agree those are important for you to learn.

It still doesn't answer the issue when I'm not even looking to get involved on a business transaction but just to have a coffee and a chat over Skype.

If you haven't looked at Andy Black's posts and listened to his podcast about this (he captures and posts of a lot of his business calls), you really should. Learning from his easygoing business conversation style, is one of the great gems of this forum.

Audio books/podcasts are no good for me with my hearing.

I didn't see before that this is an issue you face. Are phone calls difficult? There's a deaf guy on the forum, might be worth your while to get to know him and learn how he's dealt with not being able to hear his clients.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I didn't see before that this is an issue you face. Are phone calls difficult? There's a deaf guy on the forum, might be worth your while to get to know him and learn how he's dealt with not being able to hear his clients.

They can be though, having the phone near my ear and getting the other person to speak up does help in a way that's not so easy with podcasts. I also have a phone which connects to my T-LOOP hearing aid.

I've got some.nice speakers and headsets for my PC smart phone too, so is manageable for now.

I've also found that the telegram messing app is significantly clearer and louder than skype/WhatsApp/slack etc. I've no idea why. Though not as good as VOIP or normal calls through my special phone.

I've saw the deaf guys posts. He just used an interpreter, there isn't one available here, though luckily I don't need one as I can manage.(the whistling of the hearing aid is annoying but I can put up with it.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
So regular phone calls or VOIP are best, then Telegram?

I wonder if it would help to get an external USB audio interface, such as a very basic model along these lines.
usb audio interface - Newegg.com
I don't have a hearing loss issue, but I've found that sound quality is better and headphone volume goes up a lot farther with my external audio interface, compared to the laptop's built in sound jack.

You mentioned 10 Mbit internet. I've got much less than that at home and most of the places where I spend my time. Lack of bandwidth hasn't been an issue for anything I've wanted to do lately. Unless you have to upload and download gigabytes worth of material right away, you should be fine for business with the ten megabits.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
nope, just don't want it, money isn't everything.

For me it's more about freedom to go where the opportunity might be located, to network with people in other countries.

Freedom and money are linked, and if you deny that fact, you're in for a hard time.

Maximum creative freedom and worldly mobility requires money. And more than you probably think. At the most basic level; food, healthcare, shelter, taxis, airfare, water, taxes-- all costs money, and a lot of it if you plan on living 75 years.

Sure you might not need to be a millionaire, but even at the basic minimums, it's still quite a sum.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Freedom and money are linked, and if you deny that fact, you're in for a hard time

True, I've posted something similar to that. It's why a lot of the "no, you don't need money", or "needing money is an excuse" posts seem weird too, it's like denying that fact.

Maximum creative freedom and worldly mobility requires money.

I don't want maximum and worldly mobility. I will be happy with maximum contienental mobility.

Besides if I'm earning money through interest or passive means, I can afford the slow cheap route. What does it matter if it takes a week to go from A to B Why hurry? I can enjoy the bus and train trips if I'm in no rush to get back to work.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Besides if I'm earning money through interest or passive means, I can afford the slow cheap route. What does it matter if it takes a week to go from A to B Why hurry? I can enjoy the bus and train trips if I'm in no rush to get back to work.

Because things don't always work out. Can you live wherever and travel the USA at $50k a year? Sure you can. But you can travel the same way at $100k a year too. What you can't do is buy a plane ticket on a whim, or upgrade to a nicer hotel if the budget ones are sold out. You can live as if you had $50k a year even if you make $500k a year. But you can't do it the other way around. So why aim so low, if you're aiming, you might as well aim high.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
And more than you probably think. At the most basic level; food, healthcare, shelter, taxis, airfare, water, taxes-- all costs money, and a lot of it if you plan on living 75 years.

I included all of those (apart from airfare) trains,buses and ferries work out cheaper. Airfare can come out of my holiday budget or emergency fund. Private healthcare worldwide(except USA and Antartica) zero copay is €500 to €1200 annually(depends if I'm looking at single person or family)

Sure you might not need to be a millionaire, but even at the basic minimums, it's still quite a sum.

Yup,based on the calculations in your book l, can be achieved through investments at about 0.9 of a million, assuming I live in the most expensive place that meets my criteria.

I could live somewhere much cheaper and maintain my lifestyle. I calculated enough to have a decent standing of living even with renting.

Housing is the biggest cost, so I could maintain the same lifestyle with half that amoint, if I had my own property(no rent, no mortgage) this could make me a paper millionaire depending on where I live/my house is in.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say I don't want a millionaire lifestyle. I want enough to fund my desired lifestyle, rather than a set number.(I can always move to a lower cost of living area and increase my lifestyle while decreasing my costs, if I have am income stream that can be operated anywhere.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Can you live wherever and travel the USA at $50k a year? Sure you can. But you can travel the same way at $100k a year too.

That's true, but if your goal is to live a lifestyle compatible with a 50k a year, why aim for 100k rather than 75k or 200k or 500k?

What you can't do is buy a plane ticket on a whim, or upgrade to a nicer hotel if the budget ones are sold out.

I can do all of that in Europe on 30k,since prices are lower. Why would I want a more expensive hotel? I don't like most of them, anyway. Why would I want to stay in the ritz, when I can stay in the Wetherspoons or Travelodge?

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Thinking about this some more.

I think that the law of marginal utility applies to money, just as much as water,food and other needs.

So at a point you become more worried about the money than the life (do these people like me for me or my money?) Money can decrease your happiness(lottery winner syndrome) and you can feel devoid and empty.

Essentialy I have decided to optimise for happiness over wealth. I can gain enough money and carefully work my way up Marlow hierarchy looking for optimum self-actualization.

Luckily science has determined the minimum and maximum values of money needed for happiness. I only need to adjust for living costs and inflation.

This doesn't mean I can't create more wealth or generate more wealth. For instance in areas of earning 100k a year, I could have a fastlane system that gives me 50k a year and my sister 50k a year. I would get more happiness from seeing her being happy with the money than I would from having it my self.

Depending on how far you extend your family and friends (What about employees?) This could still be a tidy sum. After all the gates foundation is am example of someone who choose to have much less money than they could.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
So regular phone calls or VOIP are best, then Telegram?

I wonder if it would help to get an external USB audio interface, such as a very basic model along these lines.

. Lack of bandwidth hasn't been an issue for anything I've wanted to do lately. .

Reviewing this thread, it looks like I didn't respond to your query on the best tools for me, so I will address that now. My equipment is a usb speaker/hearing aid connector.

I would say for me the easiest is text messages first then email second then (by appointment) IM second.

Skype is awesome if your just going to type to each other(For me the issue is everyone wants to start adding voice in, well that's not where I shine.)
Perhaps I should tell them I'm mute and pretend to be then see how long that call lasts!

Voicemail, or recorded video sent by email is awesome too. (I can pick it up later(skype lets you send video messages to people, this is great as I can replay it if I missed a word three or four times(I can reply directly by chat, or send an email.) Plus I've got the chance to look at the video for lip-reading, it doesn't matter if I take 20 min to get through a 5 minute message )

There's some good software for taking phone calls into VOIP, which can be emailed. So for the right business model that can work.

If I was doing full time, then IM would have it's advantages, being so quick and easy for a natural conversation flow. I've found whatsapp to be the one people use most as a text messaging replacement(the connection to the computer means I can send message out very quickly without fussing with SMS gateways, which is nice , and I can use a very basic phone to provide simple replies(I'm away)

After that interpreter would probably be the best(If I was freelancing I'd outsource all the calls(typing to them so I don't have to worry about, it they can a infuse the emotion) .There are a number of specialist tools(of course they cost) for me talking isn't really free.
After that probably in-person(Or at least if it wasn't so expensive). VOIP is okay for people who are use to me, suppliers or people who wan tot talk me, but requires patience, that I think is unfair for customers.

Videochat really needs a lot more on my end, while doable(especially as a commercial arrangement, where I can then spend money on a break I will look sweaty,smelly and gross, requires much more bandwidth too. As opposed to a quick email or IM.
It's also nice to have a record, if someone does decide to be conniving or trying to rip you off (initially I always thought this was why people liked it and in-person, because it makes it easier to lie. Although friends like doing it with each other so that's not really true.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't want to be a millionaire

But you do... you can't make a statement like this seriously. No human, given the choice, would willingly accept a smaller bank balance.

The reality is, that choice exists. You can choose to work on things that matter. You can work on things that have massive potential pay offs. You can work on things that might be a bit challenging...

What you are essentially saying is you would rather not do those things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...