The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My blog is going nowhere and I want traffic!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
I started a website based on the topic of a coaching service, and I've been blogging for 9 months. I've published 3 posts per week without fail for that whole period.

Last month I stopped writing, partly because I was feeling like I was running out of things to say, and partly because I was getting next to no traffic.

In the last few weeks I've been merging some posts and making them into larger ones, and making a few changes to the site. I had about 120 posts but it's a few less now only because of merging posts.

My problem is that I just don't get that much traffic, and it's very demoralizing. If I could see an increase in my traffic I would at least feel like things are moving in the right direction.

The thought of writing endlessly and becoming a slave to my own blog is not appealing. Especially when everything is going so slow. It's depressing.

How do I get traffic?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How do I get traffic?

So your marketing philosophy is "build it and they will come?"

Blogging is a medium from 2010 which doesn't help, and nowadays, is supplemental to a core offer.

From my perspective, you're asking us how to jam a square peg into a round hole.

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
So your marketing philosophy is "build it and they will come?"

Blogging is a medium from 2010 which doesn't help, and nowadays, is supplemental to a core offer.

From my perspective, you're asking us how to jam a square peg into a round hole.
No the purpose of the blog posts is to get ranked on Google and hopefully get traffic. I would never just build a site and wait to be noticed. It would be nice, but no one is going to know I exist if they can't find me online. Hence the content that I've been writing. The problem is I can't do that forever and it hasn't worked out too well so far.

I do have an offer, a sales page for my coaching, on my site. I link to it on all my posts.

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
Apart from blogging, what other methods have you tried for increasing traffic?
Not much, because I don't know what else I can do that will work. I post on Twitter each time I publish on the blog, and I have a subreddit.

Blogging was never something that interested me. I always tried to avoid it (I've been trying to make an income online doing various things for 9 years), but with this latest idea (my coaching) I decided to try it.

I keep hearing that blogging / SEO is the best way to get traffic, and I guess it makes sense because by producing an amount of well optimized content and ranking well on Google, that will bring visitors, and then some of those visitors will hopefully be interested in the coaching, or in theory anything that I might offer.

But after 120 or so posts, and little traffic, its so demoralizing. Not to mention indexing issues that I sometimes have.

No one seems to really have any answers. The people who say keep creating content always talk about it as though it will automatically result in traffic, which I'm seeing for myself isn't true. Maybe it takes longer than 9 months, but I've become a bit uninspired lately.

I just don't know what to do. I'm a hard worker and like I say I've been at this game for years. I don't want to quit. But after so much effort with the blog and very little traffic, I'm wondering if maybe I'm cursed.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Depending on your aims, Ryan Moran may have a few videos that can help. He has a book (Recently featured in the tff 100 unknown best books list) that's essentially "pick a niche, build a following (usually through a website/blog), launch to them". I haven't read it or watched the material in a year or two but I recall him having quite a few students on his podcast discussing making it work even in bland niches (One guy was selling magnesium powder to old men, for instance)- even if they don't explicitly tell you what they did, you could probably sniff out the breadcrumbs and find your own way.

After that though, MJ is a right about blogging- perhaps you could supplement the blog and site with a facebook group community around the coaching and drive traffic from there and do talks?

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
Depending on your aims, Ryan Moran may have a few videos that can help. He has a book (Recently featured in the tff 100 unknown best books list) that's essentially "pick a niche, build a following (usually through a website/blog), launch to them". I haven't read it or watched the material in a year or two but I recall him having quite a few students on his podcast discussing making it work even in bland niches (One guy was selling magnesium powder to old men, for instance)- even if they don't explicitly tell you what they did, you could probably sniff out the breadcrumbs and find your own way.

After that though, MJ is a right about blogging- perhaps you could supplement the blog and site with a facebook group community around the coaching and drive traffic from there and do talks?

Appreciated, I'll have a look.

But I don't understand why you say that blogging isn't the way to go. I would have thought that having a place that people could frequent and read new content, as well as comment, would be enough to create some sense of community. Also isn't blog content a good way to bring traffic?

By the way I do have a forum on my site too, I'm hoping to get people on there, but of course first they'd have to find the site. Anyway I'll check out what Ryan Moran has to say. Thanks again.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
Blogging still works.

I receive 23k viewers/month on my blog, and it's increasing every day.

In order to have a successful blog, you need to:

1. Write the best articles on the Internet.
2. Write on topics few people wrote about.
3. Deliver superior value

Roughly 5 articles bring me 80% of traffic, out of the 192 I have published.

I figured what to write about by doing keyword research with Ahrefs and Semrush.

SEO is not easy if you don't know what you are doing. I have been learning it for three years now, and blogged unsuccessfully for one year.

Seems like Twitter would be a better medium for you than blogging.

I would have thought that having a place that people could frequent and read new content, as well as comment, would be enough to create some sense of community.

It's not 2010 anymore. Make a Discord or Telegram group.

But IMO communities are terrible businesses to create, and really hard if you are not an expert or can deliver significative value in your field.

That's the irony of media.

"Succeed off Twitter so you can succeed on Twitter".

Same thing for blogging.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I had beliefs of a lack of traffic as well but a book i read choked that belief to death.

No one has a traffic problem, they have a conversion problem.

Traffic is abundant, you can reach millions of people by spending money on these platforms.

But if your targeting is bad and your ads are trying to sell people something as opposed to giving value to get them on a list, they'll never convert.

And if your ads-->funnel is converting well enough, and you're putting in $1 to make $2, there is no marketing budget.

Rather than trying to build a blog, what if you used the above strategy and built a massive e-mail list that you provide massive value to, and occasionally make offers to?

Ad-->Sell Click-->High Value Opt-In Offer-->Get e-mail + name-->Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook

Just speculating.

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
Blogging still works.

I receive 23k viewers/month on my blog, and it's increasing every day.

In order to have a successful blog, you need to:

1. Write the best articles on the Internet.
2. Write on topics few people wrote about.
3. Deliver superior value

Roughly 5 articles bring me 80% of traffic, out of the 192 I have published.

I figured what to write about by doing keyword research with Ahrefs and Semrush.

SEO is not easy if you don't know what you are doing. I have been learning it for three years now, and blogged unsuccessfully for one year.

Seems like Twitter would be a better medium for you than blogging.

It's not 2010 anymore. Make a Discord or Telegram group.

But IMO communities are terrible businesses to create, and really hard if you are not an expert or can deliver significative value in your field.

That's the irony of media.

"Succeed off Twitter so you can succeed on Twitter".

Same thing for blogging.

Thanks for your comment.

There's so much contradictory information out there. Some people swear up and down that blogging is the way to go, others say that social media is best. It's so hard to tell what's what.

The thing is I have been posting on Twitter every time I publish a post on the blog, and I've really had nothing from that. I do it just to see what happens but so far nothing.

As for Facebook, I've been banned from there so many times and I basically can't use it. When I did use it, I joined groups and posted links on them to my blog posts (this was with a previous niche/site) and I don't understand how anyone can use that method successfully because it seems that people don't like anyone promoting themselves.

I'd love to be able to post links or snippets from my posts on social media but from my experience it does nothing. Sorry to be negative but that's how it has been for me. I'm so lost and demoralized. If blogging works, it's certainly not working for me so far. Nothing I do works. I thought maybe I would have a small trickle of traffic from google by now, but I don't even have that.

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
I had beliefs of a lack of traffic as well but a book i read choked that belief to death.

No one has a traffic problem, they have a conversion problem.

Traffic is abundant, you can reach millions of people by spending money on these platforms.

But if your targeting is bad and your ads are trying to sell people something as opposed to giving value to get them on a list, they'll never convert.

And if your ads-->funnel is converting well enough, and you're putting in $1 to make $2, there is no marketing budget.

Rather than trying to build a blog, what if you used the above strategy and built a massive e-mail list that you provide massive value to, and occasionally make offers to?

Ad-->Sell Click-->High Value Opt-In Offer-->Get e-mail + name-->Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook

Just speculating.

I do have an email list. However I don't have a lead magnet yet. I started working on one but since I wasn't getting much traffic I thought it would be better to focus on creating content to attract traffic from google.

My email list for now is simply for visitors to get updates when there's a new blog post. If I finished my lead magnet I can't imagine anyone signing up because hardly anyone is viewing my site to see that offer.

It's not that I'm unwilling to put in effort. Writing 3 blog posts a week for 9 months is a lot of effort. But when I see my low traffic I can't see the point in a lead magnet just yet. In fact it's a miracle that I've managed to keep up the blog posts for as long as I have.

As for spending money, that would finish me off. The thought of losing money would cause me to quit. I can't do that. No way can take that risk, I'd rather use free ways (for now) to attract visitors/clients.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
I do have an email list. However I don't have a lead magnet yet. I started working on one but since I wasn't getting much traffic I thought it would be better to focus on creating content to attract traffic from google.

My email list for now is simply for visitors to get updates when there's a new blog post. If I finished my lead magnet I can't imagine anyone signing up because hardly anyone is viewing my site to see that offer.

It's not that I'm unwilling to put in effort. Writing 3 blog posts a week for 9 months is a lot of effort. But when I see my low traffic I can't see the point in a lead magnet just yet. In fact it's a miracle that I've managed to keep up the blog posts for as long as I have.

As for spending money, that would finish me off. The thought of losing money would cause me to quit. I can't do that. No way can take that risk, I'd rather use free ways (for now) to attract visitors/clients.
You may need to get out and directly engage people more. Who is your target audience, and where can they be found? If they aren't coming to you, maybe you need to go to them.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Got it - by the way your comment on social media ..

You don't need to necessarily view posting on social media as a way to get traffic right off the bat, but if you know how to use YouTube to target specific keywords and how to create short videos, it can drive traffic.

Rather than quitting because you're not getting enough views, view it this way:

you can use it as a way to get credibility from every person that sees your posts whether that's 1 day from now or 1 year from now, no matter what traffic source they come from.

Maybe you meet someone at the gym and tell them what you do - they still don't trust you enough or are invested enough in you to give you their email most of the time.

Instead, if what you're doing is interesting enough, your portfolio of valuable content on your social pages whether they have 1 view or 100,000 views will be the thing that gets them to funnel into your e-mail list and ultimately become someone you can market to.

And remember - you're not trying to sell anything on social media ever. It's a party at your house.

If the job of an ad is to sell the click, the job of your social media pages is also to sell the click into your opt-in page.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
blogging is the way to go, others say that social media is best. It's so hard to tell what's what.
That depends on you. They're very different. Social media is "a bit every day". Blog is "a lot every week".

The thing is I have been posting on Twitter every time I publish a post on the blog, and I've really had nothing from that. I do it just to see what happens but so far nothing.

As for Facebook, I've been banned from there so many times and I basically can't use it. When I did use it, I joined groups and posted links on them to my blog posts (this was with a previous niche/site) and I don't understand how anyone can use that method successfully because it seems that people don't like anyone promoting themselves.

I'd love to be able to post links or snippets from my posts on social media but from my experience it does nothing. Sorry to be negative but that's how it has been for me. I'm so lost and demoralized. If blogging works, it's certainly not working for me so far. Nothing I do works. I thought maybe I would have a small trickle of traffic from google by now, but I don't even have that.

Alright I didn't read everything but obviously you have no idea what you're doing.

It's time for more learning, less doing.

I suggest you go here: Ecommerce Marketing Blog: 10X Your Ecommerce Business and read all articles related to:

1. SEO
2. Promotion
3. Interacting with people on social media
4. Content marketing

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
I started a website based on the topic of a coaching service, and I've been blogging for 9 months. I've published 3 posts per week without fail for that whole period.

Last month I stopped writing, partly because I was feeling like I was running out of things to say, and partly because I was getting next to no traffic.

In the last few weeks I've been merging some posts and making them into larger ones, and making a few changes to the site. I had about 120 posts but it's a few less now only because of merging posts.

My problem is that I just don't get that much traffic, and it's very demoralizing. If I could see an increase in my traffic I would at least feel like things are moving in the right direction.

The thought of writing endlessly and becoming a slave to my own blog is not appealing. Especially when everything is going so slow. It's depressing.

How do I get traffic?
Maybe this link will be helpful Planning for 2023: LinkedIn Posting Tips

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
As far as SEO goes, have you gotten any backlinks? You can’t just post content without getting any backlinks and hope to get ranked.

As far as social media goes, you need to be the one creating the content not trying to spam links on someone else’s account. You need to post videos on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube, and have potential clients like your content, get engaged and come back to your blog.

You mentioned that you tweet every time you post. But what else are you doing on Twitter? How many people are following your account?

The stuff you are doing is too passive now.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have you tried running paid search ads to get visitors using the search terms you're targeting with SEO?

You could even try dynamic search ads to find out what search terms Google thinks is relevant.

Keep your budget to $5/day while you learn. (Bear in mind Google can take up to twice your daily budget each day, but will average it out over the month.)

How much time have you spent trying to get "free" visitors from Google?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Lots of good advice here. Let's go to the basics.

You say your coach. What problem does your coaching service solve for people?

Who would pay to have that problem solved?

Have you tried just reaching out to people in your city who have that problem so you can get paid?

Okay, now let's get a little more advanced...

What other problems do people like that have?

Who do they go to to get those other problems solved?

Can you reach those other problem solvers, and get them to refer you business?

So for example, when I started in the web business I was trying to sell web development. So I built a network of graphic designers who didn't do web development. They sent me their web development business, I sent them graphic design business.

Can you build some win win relationships?

Now bringing it back to the blog...

Once you have those kinds of relationships, you can get other people to start guest posting on your blog, so the writing isn't all on you.

And you can guest post on their websites, So that's an easy way to get some backlinks.

But as Monfi said, you need to make sure you choose the right topics in order to get rankings quickly.

Here's a comment I have linked to a few times for people looking to learn some keyword research techniques. This stuff still works.

IMHO I would spend that PBN money on ads. At least it's measurable and won't get your site banned or a major rank decrease in the future.

For a new site, I would follow this technique.

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
Just my SEO opinion

You said you wrote articles, but did you check any analytic tool to see if anyone is searching for it?

Then when you write an article, but no one is searching for it, you will revise no visitors.

Did you use the google search console?
With that you can see if google indexes your content, also it gives you an understanding of which ranks your page has.

Do you target topics that are possible for you to rank?
Most tools (ahrefs or semrush are industry standard) will estimate how difficult the KW is.
You should aim for KW's with a difficulty under 5 (Ahrefs) for the beginning.

When you want you can send me your URL and I have a look at your side

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
The reason that there is conflicting information out there is probably that it depends.
The SEO advice is great for highly commoditized products, if you have a unique selling proposition and know how you can target your audience.

It might help to know more about the kinds of courses you offer and how you are trying to reach people exactly.
Depending on the kind of product you want to sell, that marketing strategy might not be viable.
Some expensive products can only be sold if you go to conventions, for example.
With coaching you might be outside the blogging / SEO scope. You might have to show your face on Youtube to sell the product directly.
One other option would be offering a product that is more of a commondity and upsell once a customer is hooked.

Maybe that is not it and you simply have no clear message that resonates with people. Can you summarize what it is that you offer? Are you just one of thousands of people that offer generic coaching in one area?

"How I sold 1 million eBooks in 5 months" comes to mind. It describes a strategy of how to use Twitter to send people to your Blog and get them to sign up to your newsletter.
The interesting part is where he describes how he writes tweets that are captivating, that cover a common hashtag and how he engages with others by retweeting their tweets first.

Last edited:

Costa

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
611%
Dec 8, 2022
Zero to Hero
Keep failing, Keep Learning, Keep Hustling. This is a loooong journey dude. Don't quit, now Blogging it's a long term business (indexing issues, +999 core updates every year, eeat, now chatgpt, etc..)

If you want more speed (doing things in the right way) you can try Youtube, SaaS (No code), Amazon FBA.

I guess ur Italian (by your name) Europe has so many ways to make money (online & offline) don't waste your time doing something with a low barrier to entry.

Here's some of my "failures"... But like Abe Lincoln said "You cannot fail unless you quit"

Screenshot (704).png
Screenshot (703).png

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Let's go to the basics.

You say your coach. What problem does your coaching service solve for people?

Who would pay to have that problem solved?

Have you tried just reaching out to people in your city who have that problem so you can get paid?

Okay, now let's get a little more advanced...

What other problems do people like that have?

Who do they go to to get those other problems solved?

Can you reach those other problem solvers, and get them to refer you business?

So for example, when I started in the web business I was trying to sell web development. So I built a network of graphic designers who didn't do web development. They sent me their web development business, I sent them graphic design business.

Can you build some win win relationships?
@BizyDad asking good questions here. Focus on what are you trying to do, and why rather than specific how-to strategies. There's always many different hows.

Building relationships and creating win-wins has been all I needed. I don't run ads and only half-heartedly do "content marketing" (and badly at that).

Eccellenza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 27, 2022
I appreciate the responses, I just wanted to mention that after some analyzing the google search console and thinking about it, my site does actually seem to be going in the right direction, traffic wise, or at least impression wise.

It's just that because all the numbers are small, it doesn't seem like progress is being made but when I think about, maybe it is :

Just over 70% of the 78 impressions that my site has had in the last 3 months have happened within the last month.

80% of the 5 views from google searches that I've had in the last 3 months have happened in the last month.

My average CTR in the last 3 months is 6.4%.

My average position for the last 3 months is 24.1

Considering that I stopped adding any new content a month ago, I think that's actually not bad. All I've done in that time is some SEO, improved my sidebar, menu, and merged 13 posts into 3, and made the copy on my home page into a post, as well as another page. I've also revamped my home page.

My site is down at the moment because I'm transferring the domain but it should be back in a few days.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I appreciate the responses, I just wanted to mention that after some analyzing the google search console and thinking about it, my site does actually seem to be going in the right direction, traffic wise, or at least impression wise.

It's just that because all the numbers are small, it doesn't seem like progress is being made but when I think about, maybe it is :

Just over 70% of the 78 impressions that my site has had in the last 3 months have happened within the last month.

80% of the 5 views from google searches that I've had in the last 3 months have happened in the last month.

My average CTR in the last 3 months is 6.4%.

My average position for the last 3 months is 24.1

Considering that I stopped adding any new content a month ago, I think that's actually not bad. All I've done in that time is some SEO, improved my sidebar, menu, and merged 13 posts into 3, and made the copy on my home page into a post, as well as another page. I've also revamped my home page.

My site is down at the moment because I'm transferring the domain but it should be back in a few days.
I hate to be the party pooper, but those numbers are not good.

5 views from google in 3 months? Come on.

You aren’t going to survive at this rate. You need to change something.

Again, I want to ask you what do you mean when you say you are working on SEO for your website? What exactly are you doing?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India

How do I get traffic?
Writing on a blog is a mistake.

It doesn't make sense (unless you're an established author or public figure already)

Instead, write where the audience already exists.

• LinkedIn
• Twitter
• Medium

You can test a ton of ideas there, see which ones stick the most with your audience and then slowly start building trust with the audience.

Once they start trusting you, you can start writing in depth about your expertise (i.e topics that are close to your product niche)

Hope this helps.

strategic seo

ChatGPT Bot
Mar 17, 2020
Troy, NY

How do I get traffic?
Here are 7 different ideas that you can use to drive traffic to your blog:

1. Search engine optimization (SEO): Use a Keyword Research Tool to find high volume and low competition keywords in your niche. Optimize your blog posts around those relevant keywords. Use meta descriptions, and tags to rank higher in search engine results.
  2. Social media: Share your blog posts on social media platforms and engage with your followers.
  3. Guest posting: Reach out to other bloggers in your niche and offer to write guest posts for their blogs.
  4. Content promotion: Use paid promotion methods such as advertising, influencer marketing, and sponsored content to reach a wider audience.
  5. Networking: Join online communities and forums related to your niche and participate in discussions to drive traffic to your blog.
  6. Email marketing: Build an email list and send regular newsletters with links to your latest blog posts.
  7. Collaboration: Collaborate with other bloggers and websites in your niche to cross-promote each other's content.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.