The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Merging Into The Middle Lane: Best Industry For Sales Jobs?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thinking about diving into a sales job to gain sales skills. It’s not fastlane but it’s a step in the right direction compared to my job right now.

What industries would you choose/avoid when it comes to sales?

Any advice on how to make the most of the job?

What should you look for when applying?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Whatever you do, don’t do copier sales. It’s a brutal job with way too much competition and not enough customers.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
If you’re interested in summer sales - door to door- my friends can get you a job at aptive with a higher starting commission.

It’s hard work each summer, but that’s basically all they work each year - with the rest of the time devoted to whatever they want. Perfect for someone looking to start a business.

PM me if you’re interested.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Whatever you do, don’t do copier sales. It’s a brutal job with way too much competition and not enough customers.
Haha I believe it. Seems like one of those “old school” sales gigs.

I just imagine a sweaty balding sales guy wearing a mustard shirt pulling out is Rolodex. :rofl:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
If you’re interested in summer sales - door to door- my friends can get you a job at aptive with a higher starting commission.

It’s hard work each summer, but that’s basically all they work each year - with the rest of the time devoted to whatever they want. Perfect for someone looking to start a business.

PM me if you’re interested.
I’ve heard of them and they sound promising. Unfortunately summer is over now...

TCMorgan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
526%
Feb 19, 2016
What industries would I recommend choosing/avoiding?
I'd recommend any b2b where residual prices are included in your commission (think ad agencies, office supplies), environmental services, and car sales*. I'd avoid print marketing, copier sales, energy sales, or office phone service.

*Side note on car sales: the money is great but the hours suck. It's very much a single man's game. Best way to build sales chops and set aside some cash though!

Advice on making the most of the job.
Digest as much educational sales material as you possibly can while working the job. Test different techniques, scripts, followup routines, and don't believe anyone when they say the have the "one way." Parts of Jordan Belfort's straight-line system work well for me, but some parts don't feel natural with my cadence. Some of Chet Holmes' ideas work well for me, some don't. Use your job as the testing ground to build YOUR method.

What should you look for when applying?
A base salary (at least temporarily), residual commissions, and reviews from current employees. Companies that rely on outbound sales know how to make young salespeoples eyes glaze over with wonder when they list benefits like "flexible schedule, 401k, unlimited income potential!" Usually, when you see that in a job listing, the reviews tell a different story. "You won't make $40k a year unless you work 7a-7p AND show up on the optional saturdays" - 80% of sales job reviews.

How to get your foot in the door with little experience.
Most people think sales jobs suck. Businesses are always trying to fill their sales roles. Send in an application and a resume. Follow up. Be persistent. Show them that you understand the value you provide as a person within their organization. Selling yourself is your first sale, and the way you handle that first sale will often outweigh the "sales experience" section of your resume.

Never sold a thing in your life, but follow up in person, polished and sharp as a tack, ask for the owner by name, and thank everyone for their time? You'll get a call back.

Been in sales your whole life, but show up sweaty with your shirt unbuttoned and call the receptionist "honey?" No one's gonna call you.

Hope this all makes sense. Best of luck!

Sandholdt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 3, 2018
Now, I don't have personal experience with those, but might be a place to start getting in to sales?

Juke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 23, 2019
United Kingdom
I’ve worked in B2B software sales for 8 years. I’d highly recommend it as an industry if you can find the right company and it’s a good fit for you.

Essentially I would like for a high growth industry, ideally a good niche and stay away from commodities of you can.

The best way to cut your teeth in my opinion would be B2B telesales. You don’t usually need any experience to get a job and you will learn a lot in a short period of time.

It is tough though, and not for everyone. You need to be willing to take a lot of rejection and keep going.

I would strongly advise you find a good company with good people and training. I’d also advise you read as many sales books as you can. A lot of people think sales skills are something you are born with (i.e gift of the gab) but that’s not true. There is a lot you can learn without being a ‘natural’.

Good luck!

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Tech company. Or Pharmaceutical sales.

They have good margins and you can make a good living if you're hungry.

I spent two years on the phone selling a saas product. Best decision of my career.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I figured a sales job would at least give some structure.
I mean a job in an agency selling Google Ads.

It’s B2B, doesn’t need to be done in person, can be done via many marketing channels, is big business (does Google make north of $200 million a day from Google Ads? Don’t quote me... I can’t remember where I heard that). Google Ads works for many industries (not all!), is a recurring monthly service, will help you pick up digital marketing skills/knowledge, has clients willing/able to pay large amounts monthly down to very small amounts monthly, etc.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The best industry to sell in is the industry you'd like to be in.

You can parlay all of your contacts and what you've done into your venture.

If your idea of a business is importing for amazon or freelancing... Just go pharma and keep the job.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Sounds like real estate, insurance, low end money management and makeup.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
The best industry to sell in is the industry you'd like to be in.

Exactly.

To expound on this further, what does your future business look like? What skills will you need to develop to realize that goal?

“sales job” is a very vague term these days. You could be shoving samples in somebody’s face at a mall kiosk and be a “salesperson.” How that will set you up for future success is questionable.

Do you want to do cold calls? You could find a job tomorrow. Same for knocking on doors or inbound calls. These can all be handy skills to learn if you will use them later on. However, if your future business will not utilize these methods then I personally don’t see a point.

Do you want to learn in person negotiation and relationship building? Software, Pharma or Car sales. Granted software or pharma aren’t as easy to get hired for. If you do car sales I would suggest a national brand (Autonation or Penske) name because they will likely have the best (and paid) training program.

Another very important differentiation is prospecting vs. warm leads. Being a closer vs. a hunter. All things to consider when making your decision.

Think of it like all the advice about finding a niche. What niche of sales and in what format would best benefit you in the future?

Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Exactly.

To expound on this further, what does your future business look like? What skills will you need to develop to realize that goal?

“sales job” is a very vague term these days. You could be shoving samples in somebody’s face at a mall kiosk and be a “salesperson.” How that will set you up for future success is questionable.

Do you want to do cold calls? You could find a job tomorrow. Same for knocking on doors or inbound calls. These can all be handy skills to learn if you will use them later on. However, if your future business will not utilize these methods then I personally don’t see a point.

Do you want to learn in person negotiation and relationship building? Software, Pharma or Car sales. Granted software or pharma aren’t as easy to get hired for. If you do car sales I would suggest a national brand (Autonation or Penske) name because they will likely have the best (and paid) training program.

Another very important differentiation is prospecting vs. warm leads. Being a closer vs. a hunter. All things to consider when making your decision.

Think of it like all the advice about finding a niche. What niche of sales and in what format would best benefit you in the future?
My dream business would be mostly passive, either a product or product used service, getting leads from PPC, SEO, referrals. No cold calling/emailing.

Not sure of the industry yet. I’ve got a product idea in the outdoors/camping space that I’m interested in.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
My dream business would be mostly passive, either a product or product used service, getting leads from PPC, SEO, referrals. No cold calling/emailing.

Not sure of the industry yet. I’ve got a product idea in the outdoors/camping space that I’m interested in.

In that case, @Andy Black is spot on. Find a job at an agency selling google ads and/or SEO. You’ll hone selling skills while gaining valuable knowledge in the field that you can use to drive traffic to your future product.

Bonus points if you can sell to camping and outdoor sports.

Alternatively, get a job in that field. It may be a retail job at REI or Cabelas but you will be inundated with ideas and training.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
In that case, @Andy Black is spot on. Find a job at an agency selling google ads and/or SEO. You’ll hone selling skills while gaining valuable knowledge in the field that you can use to drive traffic to your future product.

Bonus points if you can sell to camping and outdoor sports.

Alternatively, get a job in that field. It may be a retail job at REI or Cabelas but you will be inundated with ideas and training.
Thanks. Seems like the best course of action.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.