The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MBA or Machine Learning Degree

neyos

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Oct 6, 2021
Hi All

Not sure if that is the right place. If not, please let me know. but here is my question.

One of the first thing I learn when starting investing is to always invest in yourself. So to invest in myself, I currently have two possibles path:
  1. MBA : I do a master degree paid in full by my company. I believe that will help me at career and at personal level. But I believe mostly at a personal level because this will give me with a lot of tools to better manager my business and maybe quit my job and focus more on that.
  2. Master in Machine Learning: I came in this country with a master degree in computer science, but the equivalent in US is a Bachelor degree. So I was thinking of doing a second master focus in Machine Learning. Why ? Because Machine learning is a fast growing field and I believe this master will give me more technical tools for some of my business ( applications ) and can also help me in my career.
That said, I don't know if someone else already face the same situation and are willing to share his/her 2 cents.

A MBA looks good for me, but if I leave the field of IT, I'm afraid I will never be able to come back again and therefore, never have a master in this field.

What is the best investment now ?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Where do you think you can provide more value?

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Hi All

Not sure if that is the right place. If not, please let me know. but here is my question.

One of the first thing I learn when starting investing is to always invest in yourself. So to invest in myself, I currently have two possibles path:
  1. MBA : I do a master degree paid in full by my company. I believe that will help me at career and at personal level. But I believe mostly at a personal level because this will give me with a lot of tools to better manager my business and maybe quit my job and focus more on that.
  2. Master in Machine Learning: I came in this country with a master degree in computer science, but the equivalent in US is a Bachelor degree. So I was thinking of doing a second master focus in Machine Learning. Why ? Because Machine learning is a fast growing field and I believe this master will give me more technical tools for some of my business ( applications ) and can also help me in my career.
That said, I don't know if someone else already face the same situation and are willing to share his/her 2 cents.

A MBA looks good for me, but if I leave the field of IT, I'm afraid I will never be able to come back again and therefore, never have a master in this field.

Thanks
What's your long-term goal here? If you see yourself staying with your current company and they insist you get your MBA for promotion, that might make sense. If you're planning to branch off and run your own business, that's different.

On paper, I'd go with machine learning as a field where demand is only increasing.

I believe that you can learn more about running a small business from doing it and finding a good mentor than what they teach in classrooms. Very few professors are currently running their own businesses. You could always do some of the free online learning providing by some of the bigger name schools and/or just read the textbooks for yourself to see what you'd learn (you can rent them on Chegg or Amazon). There are probably better books for small business owners though.

AJ..

New Contributor
Oct 4, 2021
Machine learning.
Today you need passive income to become rich where input isnt correlated with output.
And to do this you can use media and coding as your leverage.
I would go with ML for sure.
Look into Naval Ravikant for more ideas on getting rich etc.
"How to get richwithout getting lucky" is a great start, theres also a book on him "The almanack of naval ravikant".

neyos

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Oct 6, 2021
What's your long-term goal here? If you see yourself staying with your current company and they insist you get your MBA for promotion, that might make sense. If you're planning to branch off and run your own business, that's different.

On paper, I'd go with machine learning as a field where demand is only increasing.

I believe that you can learn more about running a small business from doing it and finding a good mentor than what they teach in classrooms. Very few professors are currently running their own businesses. You could always do some of the free online learning providing by some of the bigger name schools and/or just read the textbooks for yourself to see what you'd learn (you can rent them on Chegg or Amazon). There are probably better books for small business owners though.
Thanks,

That's is a vVery detailed answer. In fact I'm not doing any of these for my company. Is for myself. I don't plan to work here for always.

Machine learning.
Today you need passive income to become rich where input isnt correlated with output.
And to do this you can use media and coding as your leverage.
I would go with ML for sure.
Look into Naval Ravikant for more ideas on getting rich etc.
"How to get richwithout getting lucky" is a great start, theres also a book on him "The almanack of naval ravikant".
I just check the book on amazon, is almost free. Thanks. Will start it after done with my current book.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Back in 2019 some universities offered MBA programs where students were required to actually start their own business from scratch together with their fellow students, maybe even in a different country. However, with C0VlD-19 I am not sure whether such MBAs still exist.

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
Hi All

Thanks
Hopping on this thread real quick because I'm also looking for similar answers. Just wanted to ask a question before I squeeze my own question too.

"If I leave the field of IT, I'm afraid I will never be able to come back again" - what do you mean by this? It sounds like you're making an extreme either-or decision. What made you draw the conclusion that you only have one option.

I think everyone else pretty much summed up the pros and cons of each respective option.

My question is somewhat similar.

I had planned on getting an MBA because I was misinformed that I could do it while managing my business and doing my job–apparently after reading this, that was not the case. The master's that I was looking for was actually an EMBA.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the exposure or connections of anyone that has taken an EMBA, or are people treating EMBA vs MBA interchangeably? It's genuinely alien to me but it feels like the perfect match given my limited free time.

Anyone here finished an EMBA or have found that taking an MBA while working/managing whatever business was manageable? What would you recommend, an online course or a physical course given the chance to enroll in one (or based on your previous experience)?

Any input is gladly appreciated, TIA!

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
IMO Your best investment would be to read all MJ DeMarco's books, then you can make this decision with a clearer vision of your future and the knowledge you'll need to make it happen.

My two cents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.