The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's - Journey To Doctor

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
No, why? My friend tried to teach me one time, but I never really got into it. Same with chess, although I intend to learn chess at some point lol.
Just wondering because of how you analyse people and "play the person" not just what's in front of you (the cards or the course).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
The next class starts today. Psychological Research & Biblical Worldview. Make it through this one and I should be eligible for Psi Chi. I'm pretty curious about the course material and what it will cover. No idea what to expect. I like to imagine anything would be better than statistics.

The Instructor - Type Two (The Helper)
My initial Enneagram Typing of the instructor is a Two (The Helper) with a strong One Wing. Assuming I am correct, then this instructor wants to connect deeply with students and will go out of his way to help students succeed. This would also mean the instructor can be influenced by anyone who shows appreciation for his efforts or gives him even a tiny amount of attention. Contacting the instructor and establishing rapport could be particularly valuable in this course.

What makes me think he's a 2w1?
  • His health looks somewhat poor. He's overweight (common in Type Twos who overextend themselves for others while ignoring their own needs).
  • He provided his actual phone number for students to call for help (I've never seen this in any class before)
  • His past employment history is all within helping fields like crisis hotlines (common for Twos) that often have an aspect of justice or reform (working with the police on social service issues). The justice/reform aspect hints at a One Wing.
  • He mentions some credibility, including a magazine he was featured in (hinting at a possible Three Wing since Threes like to talk about their accomplishments).
  • The topic of the class, according to him, deals with what it means to live a moral life and how to help others develop a sense of right and wrong. Twos want to help others, and their One Wing makes them want to help others sort through matters of right and wrong because Ones have a strong right/wrong/good/bad mentality.
  • He posted a gif with a bunch of hearts lol (love is a super core element of Type Two)
  • He makes statements like, "Get to know me better by viewing the Class Introductions" indicated that he wants you to connect with him more, and also using the word "better" which goes back to the good/bad aspect of the One Wing.
Those are my initial thoughts. I'll proceed as if he is a Two for now and will attempt to make early contact and show appreciation for the time he spends helping students navigate the moral aspects of this class.

This should have a positive influence on grading.

I have a love-and-hate relationship with enneagram and MBTI. On one hand, I get to understand people's needs and desires better. On the other hand, it's rather easy to get some pathological manipulation going on.

Oh, and some 8s and 3s look at me like I'm the devil whenever I bring all of this up in a group discussion.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The latest course is gonna be a rough one for me. Not because the work is difficult, but because I find it hard to interpret Christian ideology into practical meaning.

A quote from my latest text:

The text is full of fluff words and vague language. If I were reading this out of context, it would sound like cult indoctrination. Actually, even in context it kind of sounds that way.
Well, it simply means 'God is powerful and real-- and this book called the Bible will show you many examples of how He works. God is BIG...so naturally ONE story by itself isn't enough to describe him fully. So read all the stories...'

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

On another note, suddenly I realised from your profile pic that you look more slimmer and toned.
You did some exercise regime I must be missing out on? :happy:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So, I'm doing my first discussion responses this morning...

The first person to respond to my initial post based their entire response off of HALF of the first sentence of my post. Since they didn't finish reading the sentence, they came to incorrect conclusions. Then they had the nerve to write in their response that I need to dig deeper with my thought process! GFYS!!

I'm struggling not to rip this person to shreds. I don't think that would go over well in a Christian school.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
It took everything I had, but I resisted responding to the person who responded to my post.

The discussion was difficult. I didn't complete the chapter reading because it was so boring and vague. I just couldn't make sense of it. I worried that I'd missed the mark with my assignment, but I scored 60 of 60. Now I feel I've got a good read on how this course will progress.

I don't think the instructor read our posts. I think he scanned them and checked off boxes for rubric requirements. So I'll be careful to meet the requirements, but beyond that, there's no reason to stress the course material.

Seven more weeks and I can apply for Psi-Chi.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Survived Advanced Quantitative Statistics with an A. Had to get more efficient with my study patterns. Was looking forward to getting Advanced Qualitative Statistics out of the way, but there was a mistake (not sure if mine or the school's) that dropped my last two classes. I had to re-enroll and the earliest I could take the next class is the end of next month. For now, I'm on break I guess.

Once I finish the certificate program in December, it's my last chance to go forward or not with the rest of the PhD program. Lately, life changes have me second-guessing my path. I'm less interested in the scientific side of psychology and don't see much value in a PhD other than credibility that I don't need. Plus, when I'm in school, I have a lot less time for piano.

Speaking of piano, I feel like it's one area where I can maybe do something lasting (not yet, but in time). I'm still in lessons and progressing fast (I think). My piano instructor says I'm his best student (to be fair, he hasn't taught for that long). I do know I'm the first student he's had at level 4 (the highest level). So I'm not sure what I'll do next. I'm tempted to switch to a music degree where I could double up on piano training. Guess it's another one of those *time will tell* things.
I do think there's a need for learning styles for music that works. Beyond typical music theory.

While I started off with piano classes when I was a kid, the way how most teachers taught me was pretty bad.
Mostly shoving notes or classical music mumbo-jumbo down my throat, like how Asian schools do with most
other subjects. They just wanted me to finish book after book, score after score, without giving me time to digest.
Sight-reading was a struggle too.

As a result, I grew to actually detest piano.

It was only when I listened to folks like Piano Guys, that I realised 'Oh, this is what good music should sound like. Not the blockish, stiff stuff the teacher had me drill and practice over and over.'

I listened awhile to folks like Jermaine Griggs, who came from a gospel music background.

Turns out there were patterns to look out for in those black-and-white notes, behind the mumbo-jumbo.

Currently music isn't the top of my priorities, but I am open to salvaging my know-how on music.

Androgynue

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 20, 2023
Loved reading this thread, especially the last page. Good job completing the class! It was fun reading your analysis of your tutor too, and how you'd use that to get better marks.

The way you think is really unique but I relate. Manipulation is one of the traits I least like being conscious of about myself (I don't buy that it's a rare or unusual quality, I just think most people are less aware of their tendency to manipulate) but there are times when I just want what I want and analysing people and changing my behaviour to suit them is the most efficient way to get it.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Today's the day... Break's over.

Advanced Research: Qualitative Research and Analysis.

It's one of two remaining courses in the executive certificate program.

Here's a breakdown of the instructor's opening paragraph for personality profiling:

"Hello students! My name is Dr. R**** W****, and I am grateful for the opportunity to work with you this term! PSY*** includes a close look at the application of using qualitative research to understand human behavior. Qualitative theories and methods will be reviewed with specific focus. This course will include eight weeks, and it will begin on Monday, June 26th, and end on Friday, August 18th."

Words that stand out to me:
  • Dr.
  • grateful
  • work
  • with you
  • this term
  • close look
  • specific focus
  • (beginning and ending dates)
From these words, I might assess that her title is important enough to her to include it (some instructors don't). It's a formality. The word "grateful" could indicate Enneagram 2 or 4 tendencies, but it's what she's grateful for (the opportunity to work) that reveals more of the picture. To work is to act and to act comes from the body (Body Triad: Types 8, 9, and 1). She then returns to relational words (with you) and ends with a specific detail (this term). If I stopped assessment here, I'd conclude she is a Type 1w2.

Type 1 is detail-driven. This is reinforced in the words, "close look" which indicates both action (body), and detail (examination) and hints at the relational 2 Wing qualities (closeness). "Specific focus" further supports the Type 1 core personality. That said, her photo isn't quite what I'd expect of Type 1. She's let her hair down and her outfit is colorful. However, these could be indications of the Directional Arrows showing up (Stress moving to Type 4 traits, and health moving toward Type 7 traits).

One final caveat is that Type 1 can be easily confused with Type 6. I'll keep that in mind, but I'll approach as if she's Type 1 for now. They seem fairly common in academic settings. Deadlines will be important. Attention to detail. Providing specific information in communications. Submitting assignments early. Being helpful and supportive of classmates will probably gain her favor due to the 2 Wing.

Going Forward

I don't think I'll continue the psychology PhD program after I finish the EC portion. As of now, I intend to switch to a different doctoral program with the same school that I can complete in about the same timeframe. I'd like to pursue a degree that places more emphasis on areas like law, regluations, and policies. This area supports where I see my entrepreneurial journey potentially heading very soon.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Most instructors start with exclamation points at the beginning of a class. They want students to be excited and to know that they are excited, especially in classes that involve statistics (because students hate those classes and quickly lose motivation).
Gotcha. Hard to get excited about stats.

My thinking has always been that using exclamation points to get people excited means you've not written it well enough in the first place.

Robdavis

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
After watching my child go through pre-school, and now Kindergarten, I'm starting to notice many of the failures of early childhood learning in public (and potentially in private) institutions. Short of keeping my kid home and teaching her myself, there's not much I can do to affect change within the institutions without wasting a lot of my time.

Nonetheless, it is still my responsibility to shape this child's mind and position her for the best possible life outcomes. So I find myself asking, how do I do that?

@Lex DeVille It is interesting to read you talking about his, when a few days ago, @MJ DeMarco started a thread asking for feedback on ideas for a book for young kids that he is thinking of writing.

It seems to me that if you Lex, have a kid and some psychology knowledge and MJ is a writer, that it might be possible for the two of you to collaborate on some opportunity together. Why don't you set up a zoom call with coffee to discuss possibilities?

Just a suggestion. Thanks.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Finished the final assignments for the latest class. It got a bit bumpy at the end. I had a huge research proposal due, but didn't think there was a page requirement because it wasn't stated in the rubric. So I developed the proposal to about 11 pages. Before submitting it, I reviewed the requirements and found out it had to be 25 pages minimum.

I spent the next 8 hours updating and adding content. After that, I went back through and fixed the things the instructor had previously commented on. Considering the paper was a novella (10,000 words) I figured the instructor wouldn't read the whole thing but would look for error corrections, and framework requirements (like 25 pages, X amount of references, headings in the right place with the right format, etc.).

After two days, she submitted a grade of 250 of 250. A perfect score. That's not the grade I would've given that paper, but hey, I'm just a student. :)
Maybe she used ChatGPT to filter the nuggets out from your paper.:playful:

It might be possible, but I wouldn't do it. MJ doesn't need help with a project like this, and I'd be a liability due to my sketchy past. As a general rule, I don't team up with people from the Fastlane Forum on projects because if the project goes south (and they sometimes do), it gets weird for everyone involved.
I'd like to see how MJ writes a book for kids.
The voice will have to be much more different...maybe gentler and more approachable than the usual sailor lingo that we the regulars are used to.

But then again, kids today might be more advanced than we think. Maybe even more tolerable.

I mean...back in my high school days, my batch did not think much about dating.
Now I'm hearing kids as young as 13 years old are already going on dates lol.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Theories and Research of Developmental Psychology was fun, but now it is over. I've completed the final course of the Executive Certificate program and have a couple weeks of break for the holidays before the next class.

From here on out, I have to get serious with my dissertation path. The next course will be my first dissertation course. I've got over a year left, but when school starts again in the new year, I'll officially begin climbing the final hill to conquer this progress thread and bring this journey to a close.

If only I were this committed to most of my business ideas...
Honestly was expecting you to burst out of school to run back to 'eat what you hunt' mode with Upwork and other digital biz ventures, while cursing all of academia lol. (I would)

But I'm glad you made it this far.

As much as school sucks, can't deny that its systems of checks & balances, with teacher figures do help with the accountability process. In business though, we have to find or make our own way.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Next Course
School starts Monday. Ordered my book. Still waiting for its arrival. The course should be relatively easy. It's the first course of the doctoral program. I skipped it while doing the Executive Certificate because it wasn't required at the time.

Multiple Courses
I'm scheduled for dual courses later this semester. If I can somehow pull off two courses at a time, I'll be Doctor DeVille in a little over a year.

Free Money
Now that I'm a Fed., Uncle Sam is dishing out Tuition Assistance for my college to the tune of $4500 per year. It's not the deal I wanted, but there are multiple ways to get the Government to pay for college if I stick around for a bit. Don't know how long I'll last, so for now, I'll enjoy the cash.

Multi-Lingual Doctor Goal
Becoming a doctor is cool. It would be more cool to be a multi-lingual doctor. So I'm adding a goal of learning three languages and I'll document some of that progress in this thread from time to time. The languages I intend to learn are:

1. German
2. Spanish
3. Russian

I'm 20 days into the German course on Duolingo. In addition, I just finished an entry-level 6-hour course in German through the Department of Defense's Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) portal, and just started their longer 80-hour course.

Here's what I learned today:

Halt oder ich schießen! means "Stop or I'll shoot!"

And if you screw it up like I did and say it like this:

Halt oder ich scheißen!

The translation becomes, "Stop or I'll shit!"

It's a difference of one letter, but what a difference it makes!

Lolz, wait till you get to German compound words! Hit me up if you ever need any live practice with German and Spanish, I speak both languages adequately, Spanish better though.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Lolz, wait till you get to German compound words! Hit me up if you ever need any live practice with German and Spanish, I speak both languages adequately, Spanish better though.
I'm learning some compound words. At first I was like...wtf, why are these words so damn long!!

Spanish would be more useful in the U.S., but I don't find the language as pleasing. I don't run into Germans very often here. Spanish speakers are everywhere. In some places in the U.S., Spanish is so commonly spoken that city signs are in both English and Spanish.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Just added up all of my training time across Duolingo and the JKO courses for January. So far I've spent just over 62 hours on Duolingo. In JKO, I finished a six hour German beginner course and 38 hours of the Headstart2 course which brings me to 100 hours of language training across my first month!

View attachment 53757
Chat GPT says A1 level is approximately 160 - 200 hours.

I have one unit left in Duolingo Section Two. Then I'll have 14 units to complete in Section Three. After that, I'll enter the A2 level courses for Duolingo, so it seems like the training time will sync up nicely.

In addition to the above, I started listening to a podcast called CoffeeBreak German where the speakers record conversations in German, and then break down the exchange. These are around 20 minutes, and I think I've listened to three episodes so far.

If by some wild chance I'm able to maintain this level of training, (and probably if I work with a tutor) I should be pretty damn good speaking German by next year.

How are you finding Duolingo after using it for a couple of weeks?

Also, I strongly suggest getting a tutor on Italki. This will supercharge your progress.

I've been learning French for about 7 weeks now. I'm currently using a mix of Duolingo, Anki (for word memorization) and online classes with a tutor (two regular classes and two accent classes a week). I also listen to French music every day, often to the same songs for hours every day.

I can have conversations in French with my teacher and understand most of what she says, even if I don't understand every word. I'd be far from this level with just Duolingo.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How are you finding Duolingo after using it for a couple of weeks?

Also, I strongly suggest getting a tutor on Italki. This will supercharge your progress.

I've been learning French for about 7 weeks now. I'm currently using a mix of Duolingo, Anki (for word memorization) and online classes with a tutor (two regular classes and two accent classes a week). I also listen to French music every day, often to the same songs for hours every day.

I can have conversations in French with my teacher and understand most of what she says, even if I don't understand every word. I'd be far from this level with just Duolingo.

I still love Duolingo. Haven't started working with a tutor. Mainly because I'm not sure when I'll have time and actually benefit from it. Mon - Fri I have time in the afternoon but my brain is completely melted from this job.

Sat and Sun are options, but those are also days where I handle stuff I couldn't do throughout the week, plus family time, piano, and school work.

With Duolingo, I've started learning Spanish in addition to German. When I do the lessons in Spanish, I also say the words and sentences in German to practice both at the same time.

The JKO course I was taking went from 0 to 100 way too fast. The problem with that course is it's for military use, so they teach words and phrases, but the meanings are incorrect. Like, in English I might say "See you this afternoon" and the JKO course might paraphrase that into "See you later." That might be useful in a practical sense but not in a learning sense.

This morning, I came upon two new resources I intend to leverage:

1. Mango Languages - Language courses app (I get free access through my job)
2. PressReader.com - Newspapers and magazines in various languages (also get access through my job)

I may have more free time soon. If so, I'll work with a tutor. It's definitely on my to-do list. I'll probably work with a Spanish tutor first since the language is more practical for my location.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How much is left to be done to cross that finish line?

Five psychology classes and five dissertation classes.

I'm doubling up on classes for most of this year, but can only do the dissertation classes one at a time.

I don't know my graduation date, but my guess is sometime between next May and July, so it's actually a bit over a year.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Maybe you should consider changing your nature.

When you say you're not interested in building bridges with them I hope you don't mean that you think they are beneath you. These people are people. One moment of cheating doesn't mean these people aren't worth building relationships with. Who knows who these people will become and who they will be connected with in the future. Have you never cheated on anything in your life? I know I have. But I have grown. And these people may grow as well.

If that's not what you meant by your above quote then I don't understand what you were trying to say.

And to say you are being stepped on by these people is being overly dramatic. You weren't hurt in any way by what they did. If anything, it makes you look better.

It sounds like your ego is driving this thought process and maybe you should get it in check.

If you want to build a network of cheats and thieves, go for it.

It sounds like you think it is wrong to do things any way but your way. It sounds like you think there's only one bridge in the world and if you burn it you won't be able to cross the river. Maybe that's true for you.

I've got trees, tools and the grit to build my own bridge. I don't need bridges built by people who take shortcuts because...

miamibridge.gif

If you've grown so much, then it shouldn't bother you when my ego says F*ck your way. F*ck your passive-aggressive attacks. And F*ck your shortcut bridges. :cool:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I wouldn't call students in a College Masters Program, who used a few of your sentences in a discussion post, "Cheats and thieves."

I'm not you.

This isn't even close to what I am saying. I share one viewpoint that you disagree with and you think I have a 'my way or the highway' mentality? I've never said I'm always right. I've also never said there is only one bridge. Now you're just making things up.

Maybe you should say what you're saying instead of using passive-aggressive attacks to make your points. Then things wouldn't be so confusing.

When you said this...

It sounds like your ego is driving this thought process and maybe you should get it in check.

You implied that letting the ego drive thought processes is "wrong." You don't have to say something is wrong for it to be implied. When you imply something is wrong, you are stating it is the opposite of right. So yes, you are showing "my way or the highway" mentality because you have defined what is right and wrong and attempted to push that perspective on myself and others.

Maybe you should consider changing your nature.

In this quote you suggested that my nature needs to be "changed." In other words, you are implying that there is something dysfunctional with my nature. If something is dysfunctional, then it is not functioning properly. In other words, it is functioning incorrectly, which is another word for "wrong." Wrong of course is defined by your perspective in this situation, so again we have an instance of "my way or the highway" mentality wrapped in multiple layers of passive-aggressive nonsense as you continued to defend your original point while accusing me of defending mine and implying that I am somehow wrong for doing so.

It doesn't bother me. You missed the point. Instead of just saying, "Interesting viewpoint. I'll have to consider it." You defended yourself and insulted others.

Here you've assumed to know my thoughts (and this is like the third time, which is weird because that isn't possible), and also implied that I gave an incorrect response to your post. By your standard, the correct answer would be "Interesting viewpoint. I'll have to consider it." But I didn't give that response, so I am incorrect. More your way or the highway...

A lot of the things I write on this website aren't to change your mind. It's to change the minds of others who come by and read them. I'm not dumb enough to think I can change you. But a bystander reading this who had no opinion on the matter might be better off through this discussion.

You're dumb enough to think that you have some weird duty to change other people, and that the way you're trying to change them is somehow better than the way they already are. But you're right, someone reading this might be better off. If they are, it doesn't mean it was because of your posts.

Although, you do seem to have a knack for burning bridges... Who am I to tell you to throw away one of your strengths?

More passive-aggressive nonsense.

You're not right. I'm not right. But I'm also not wrong, and if you think I am, prove me wrong.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yea it's all good.

If you are an Eight then you shouldn't act like a Five at all right? A Five is your stress. Shouldn't you strive to act like a Two? A Two is all about caring for and building bridges with others the opposite of a Five right?

The Riso-Hudson approach to the Enneagram says that Two is the integration point for Eight, but I'm not an Eight. Ideally, everyone should strive for integration of all points if they want to achieve a state of "wholeness" by the Riso-Hudson model.

There are other models of the Enneagram that suggest the directional arrows don't matter because each directional point occurs on a continuum and each type has a connection to both points. So a Five will display traits of both the Seven and Eight whether they move in a positive or a negative direction. A One will display traits of both Seven and Four, though one set of traits is usually dominant.

According to the Riso-Hudson model, my direction of integration is toward Eight. I try to embrace Eight-like traits because Eights do well as entrepreneurs.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
And another one bites the dust! Survived Psychopharmacology (with an A of course)! On the way out I sent a thank you message to the instructor and got this back in reply:

Now I'm in Research Design and Methods. So far it's mind-numbing but once it's out of the way, then there are only four classes remaining for the master's and I'm excited for three of them. Up next is Psychological Testing and Assessment. Then it's Psychopathology followed by Clinical and Counseling Psychology and finally the capstone course.

At this point I'm struggling to decide if I want to switch to Fielding University or stay with Ashford for the doctoral program. Ashford will cost less (especially thanks to alumni benefits) and will be easier since I already have a good grasp of expectations and also because instructors are familiar with my work.

But Fielding has specialization in Brand and Media Psychology and the courses look way more interesting than Ashford. With Ashford I would either specialize in Wellness or Industrial/Organizational psychology. Both Fielding and Ashford will allow me to finish a doctoral program in roughly the same amount of time. With Fielding I'll earn a second master's degree along the way.

It's a tough decision but I'm leaning toward Fielding due to elective offerings like:

- Brand Psychology & Transmedia Storytelling
- The Social Psychology of Narrative
- The Psychology of Mediated Meaning
- The Psychology of Neuromarketing
- Media & Political Psychology
Well, if my focus aim was just to finish the education, I would stay on at Ashford.

But if you are leaning towards Fielding for its Brand and Media Psychology, especially when they are topics you already delve deep into, by all means go for it.

I haven’t heard of any marketing or psych guru out there who took more formal or scientific education in such areas, which says one thing about credibility. Would be great to deepen your understanding of the Deep Magic:hilarious:

Is the price difference between the two options very wide? A few thousand?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Is this now turning into "The Slowlane Forum"?

A progress thread about a slowlane career?

What am I missing here?

Or will you mainly use the degree as a pedigree to charge higher rates for your courses?

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jul 1, 2018
Great thread dude. Keep going.

I guess maybe look at what Jordan Peterson does and do like him? I mean I heard him talking about meeting many patients in one of his lectures, if that's what you'd like to do.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I've noticed a strange change across the last two classes. In previous classes, I was the first to post my discussions and assignments every week. Everyone else waited for the last possible minute. Now that we're nearing the finish line, I see people posting discussions much earlier in the week, almost as though they're competing to be the first one done. Their work is as shoddy as always, but it's like they're trying to get their names and faces recognized either by the class or by the instructor.

To test this theory of competition, I researched the previous class to see what day the earliest discussion posts were posted. They were always posted by the first day of the week (that's four days earlier than their due date).

Next, I posted my discussion well in advance to ensure I would be the first to finish. Shortly after posting it, other posts flooded in behind me.

To go a step beyond, I posted the second week's discussion a week in advance. If classmates are trying to compete, then there should be discussion posts showing up in Week Two prior to Monday. To my surprise, at least one classmate has already posted their Week Two discussion shortly after I posted mine.

So it seems now that the finish line is near, my peers' motivation to "try" has increased. What's strange is that their posts still lack substance. Despite competing to post early in the week, their posts show clear evidence that they did not read the required texts, nor did they read the assignment prompt. It's like they're posting a shell of the assignment.

What's unfortunate is that these are the people you can expect to treat you or your parents or your children at various mental health agencies around the country. They won't be found in private practice because they haven't attended an APA accredited program, and therefore, won't be eligible for licensure in most states. But they are already working in mental health clinics in various capacities.
I think it's because they are now thinking of currying enough favour and impressions to get the professor to write letters of recommendations for their later job hunts?

Not surprised their discussion posts end up lacking substance.
As long the folks aren't graded for critical analysis, and ONLY for participation, that's the kind of work that will come out.

Example from my OWN college group assignment:

Part of our capstone project's scope was to plan and suggest sustainability measures for an electrical product.
Naturally, you could just look up famous brands like Phillips and Panasonic, and check out their blogs or academic journals for how they reduce lithium in their batteries, reuse packaging, reduce ink by switching to monochrome printing, etc.

Plus, you had to relate the measures to specific sustainability principles like Efficiency, Sufficiency and Preventing Unjustifiable Risks.

For this entire semester, my group members pretty much screwed up our fortnightly presentations by copy-pasting crap from the textbook.

They would say stuff like: 'We can reduce carbon footprint by using energy-saving mode' (explain how???) or 'We will compensate for environmental damages by paying out money" (how much money??? Isn't that costly and a waste of $$$?)

Total garbage.

I tried at first to filter their work, give ideas and stuff before I realised it was a losing battle.
Fortunately, the presentations were quite leniently graded, but I was not kind in my peer reviews.

Unfortunately, the peer reviews rate performances of the kids from scores of 1-5 mostly based on whether they showed up, talked crap gave ideas, handed in work on time...things even a MONKEY WITH AUTISM can do.

Very little avenue to rate them based on innovation, and critical analytic skills or initiative.
No qualitative peer review options available (e.g. write an essay about your team mate's performance)

As a result, any deductions from the bad peer reviews were so tiny that the members didn't feel enough pain to start changing their ways.

I pointed that out in my end-semester feedback, but not sure if the professors will take note.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm crawling my way through this week like a zombie on the Walking Dead.

A little over a week ago I caught a cold. I recovered for about three days, then caught covid. I'm on day six of that, and it's been a total shitshow. I took on a higher client workload than usual just before I got sick again, so the week has been a special kind of hell.

The bad parts were an extreme headache, dizziness, and mind fog. Trying to understand statistical equations made me sick to my stomach. But the WORST WORST part was I couldn't keep my morning coffee down!!!!! So I couldn't drink it :(

Okay, the real worst part was the freaking hot/cold flashes. One night before I realized I had covid, I woke in terror thinking I was having a seizure because the cold chills had my body shaking violently and uncontrollably. I actually got out of bed to check in the mirror for signs of muscle control loss. Later in the week when I mentioned the hot/cold switching to someone is when they suggested I might have covid. So I tested and came up positive.

I lost a lot of sleep this week. The first few nights I could only sleep in 20-30 minute sprints. My temperature was changed between freezing cold and blazing hot within a matter of seconds. Later in the week, I managed to get 3-4 hours per night, and last night was the first night I pulled 6.5 full hours. I even had dreams! I only woke because mucus built up that triggered a harsh coughing spell.

Now it's Saturday, and I'm playing catch-up. Basically, everything I did during the week has to be rewritten / relearned.

Next week is the final week of class, and the deadlines are shorter than in previous weeks. I've got family events going on next week as well, so I needed to get more done this week to make up for the lost days.

blah.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The next class starts today. Psychological Research & Biblical Worldview. Make it through this one and I should be eligible for Psi Chi. I'm pretty curious about the course material and what it will cover. No idea what to expect. I like to imagine anything would be better than statistics.

The Instructor - Type Two (The Helper)
My initial Enneagram Typing of the instructor is a Two (The Helper) with a strong One Wing. Assuming I am correct, then this instructor wants to connect deeply with students and will go out of his way to help students succeed. This would also mean the instructor can be influenced by anyone who shows appreciation for his efforts or gives him even a tiny amount of attention. Contacting the instructor and establishing rapport could be particularly valuable in this course.

What makes me think he's a 2w1?
  • His health looks somewhat poor. He's overweight.
  • He provided his actual phone number for students to call for help (I've never seen this in any class before)
  • His past employment history is all within helping fields like crisis hotlines (common for Twos) that often have an aspect of justice or reform (working with the police on social service issues). The justice/reform aspect hints at a One Wing.
  • He mentions some credibility, including a magazine he was featured in (hinting at a possible Three Wing since Threes like to talk about their accomplishments).
  • The topic of the class, according to him, deals with what it means to live a moral life and how to help others develop a sense of right and wrong. Twos want to help others, and their One Wing makes them want to help others sort through matters of right and wrong because Ones have a strong right/wrong/good/bad mentality.
  • He posted a gif with a bunch of hearts lol (love is a super core element of Type Two)
  • He makes statements like, "Get to know me better by viewing the Class Introductions" indicated that he wants you to connect with him more, and also using the word "better" which goes back to the good/bad aspect of the One Wing.
Those are my initial thoughts. I'll proceed as if he is a Two for now and will attempt to make early contact and show appreciation for the time he spends helping students navigate the moral aspects of this class.

This should have a positive influence on grading.
Do you play poker Lex?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Funny you should mention that. It's something I'm working through in therapy. Since I started dating again, it's hard to break away from analyzing people and just let them show me who they are.

I ended a potential relationship even though we connected well because she turned out to be a Two and I don't think I could ever get along with a Two for more than short periods.

It's hard to know if you're protecting yourself or screwing up something that could be amazing...ugh. At this point, it's second nature to analyze everyone and then future cast like a f*cking fortune teller. Except I'm not! :D

You’re an INTJ?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah