The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Lex DeVille's - I Deleted My Upwork Account...

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

srodrigo

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2018
The answer is that clients will pay whatever rates you ask for once you've proven yourself as a freelancer. When you send a YOU Focused proposal...when you ask the right questions...when you show you care so the client knows you are competent as a person, and feels confident in your skills, which makes them feel comfortable going forward with you...then they will hire you at higher rates no matter what your profile shows.
This is valuable not only for freelancing, but for any kind of entrepreneur that has to make sales. :clap::

harlansjobs

Contributor
Oct 31, 2018
How not to get freelance work...

View attachment 23847
So is this guy for real? Even from another country, he should know that you start each new sentence with a cap, even if the sentences or choppy. That is unforgivable!. On the other hand, I have seen people from third world countries on FB, posting online jobs with the most atrocious English grammar and have tons of comments, people falling all over them like Pavlov's dog experiment!

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
@Lex DeVille , so I got this in the mail just now...

upload_2019-4-3_2-59-12.png

I don't think its too bad though.

As long as freelancers get their hourly rate up, the costs should be settled with.
And if I optimize my profile better, I can get more invites.

Hope this will cut down the insane 40-50 bid numbers I see for some jobs.

But for the third-world folks...I might expect an outcry...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
lexdeville.com
@Lex DeVille , so I got this in the mail just now...

View attachment 24241

I don't think its too bad though.

As long as freelancers get their hourly rate up, the costs should be settled with.
And if I optimize my profile better, I can get more invites.

Hope this will cut down the insane 40-50 bid numbers I see for some jobs.

But for the third-world folks...I might expect an outcry...
Wow, that's really interesting!

I need to have a think on this and do a YT video about it.

Did they send this to you by email? I haven't seen this message yet.

Can you link to the resource page they linked in that post so I can read more about the change?

Thanks for sharing!

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Wow, that's really interesting!

I need to have a think on this and do a YT video about it.

Did they send this to you by email? I haven't seen this message yet.

Can you link to the resource page they linked in that post so I can read more about the change?

Thanks for sharing!
Yup, email.

Just a few seconds ago.

They may have sent one to you already.

Here's the links:
Terms of Service

resource page

Bekit

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
I'm curious about this.

• Is this a greedy move on Upwork's part? They've been pushing their paid options for a while; now everyone has to adhere to them or be left out.
  • Is this a value-add to the freelancers so that it weeds out the bottom-feeders?
  • Is this a win-win?
  • Or where do you see this falling on the continuum?

Personally, I see it as a cash grab by Upwork, as now they'll be getting paid, not only by everyone who lands a job and gets paid, but by everyone who bids.

And only remotely secondarily do I see it as a benefit to the freelancers.

But I'm barely in the upwork world at all (I have a profile but haven't completed any jobs). So I could be seeing this through a different / incomplete lens.

Curious to hear others' thoughts.

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
lexdeville.com
Hmm... Not sure how I feel about this yet. It's kind of like getting slapped in the face during sex. It hurts but I like it, I think... lol

At first glance it feels like another cash grab to please shareholders. On the other hand, it will 100% cut down on proposals, especially since you have to buy in bundles of $1.50 AND since there are tiers of jobs from small to large with each requiring different numbers of connects.

Probably another play here is they want to cut down people stealing clients from their platform. There are some people who are really good at applying to gigs and moving clients beyond Upwork (not that I know any of those people). But if it costs money to reach those people, then less freelancers will go that route.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out and how the community responds. Upwork has cornered the market and they know it. The question is, how do I want to adapt my freelance processes to account for and capitalize on these changes!

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
lexdeville.com
I might feel better about this if they had some kind of checks and balances system for the type of jobs clients post. What happens when a client posts a $$$ job but really wants to pay $100 for a whole website? Will we get docked 6 connects for applying to that job because it was marked $$$ which would indicate $600+ tier? Or will they switch how this process works completely?

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

dru-man

Contributor
Speedway Pass
What about drive by postings? (People creating projects and never coming back.)
This was my first thought.

So many dreamers, tire-kickers, and even actual clients with an actual history of paying for work that seem to have made a side-hobby out of posting jobs they never actually do anything with.

I could see this new approach working, but if they don't have a plan for limiting trash job postings that don't go anywhere, I take big issue with it - you can't give buyers free reign to spam the platform with non-jobs that suck up freelancer money...

Since it would be really hard to qualify posters before the post (without discouraging their presence), the "fair" thing to do would be only charge you for bidding on jobs that actually ended up closing. I don't see them doing that, though, ,and it probably would reduce the potency of the change.

There has to be a better way to do it in there somewhere.

If they implement this change without addressing this issue, I suspect they'll see some real competition in the market pretty quickly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom