The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's discuss Google Keyword Search & Traffic Estimator

Marketing, social media, advertising

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
So, taking Kwerner's great suggestion, I'm moving this discussion to a new thread.

From biophases excellent ecommerce thread:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm playing around with Google Adwords tools trying to get a sense of it. So far I don't understand what the results are telling me.

For instance, say I want to start a website selling high-end kitchen stoves. Using Google's Keyword tool, I plug in "Kitchen Stove" and find that:
1- Competition is "High"
2- Global Monthly Searches = 49,500
3- Local Monthly Searches = 33,100

What does "High" competition actually mean? There are a lot of people using that keyword and the PPC price may be high?

If I plug "Kitchen Stove" into Google Traffic Estimator, $1 Max CPC, and $20 Daily budget, I find:
1- Avg. CPC is $0.59
2- Estimated Ad Position is 1.91
3- Estimated Daily Clicks is 8.52
4- Estimated Daily Cost is $5.04

From this I conclude if my site converts 1%, then each sale costs $59. I therefore need to figure $59 will come out of gross profit to cover the PPC campaign.

What does it mean if Ad Position is at 1.91? Is that on page 91? Is there a way to find out what somebody actually paid for their PPC ad?

Have I understood what the results are saying? Looking at the results of this analysis, what would you recommend? Different keyword search, more targeted niche, run for the hills?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kwerner pointed out that I should be using [Exact] match on the left hand side of the page, which really changed the results:
Whoa - that really brought down the number of hits! For "Exact" match, I now get 1600 global and 720 local.

If I plug "Kitchen Stove" into Google Traffic Estimator, using "Exact" match, $1 Max CPC, and $20 Daily budget, I find:
1- Avg. CPC is $0.55
2- Estimated Ad Position is 1.89
3- Estimated Daily Clicks is 1.56
4- Estimated Daily Cost is $0.86

That doesn't look like a lot of clicks on my site. If I add the terms Gas Stove, Gas Range, Cooktop, and Electric Range and change to $10 Max CPC with $100 Daily Budget, I get 48 clicks for $75, or $1.56 per click. Each sale would cost me $156 (if I convert at 1%). The next task would be to see:

1- Is there enough margin to support $156/sale? If so...
2- Can I convert 1%? Can I improve on 1%?
3- I still don't understand with "High" competition means.
Pinnacle says:

The choice is yours.

It means you'll have a harder time standing out from your competition because there is so much of it. If you can't stand out in some way you won't make enough money to justify doing it, in most cases.
I tried changing keywords to find a niche with low competition.

So then - if I change the search term to "Electric Induction" [Exact], I get Low Competition, 480 Global searches, and 170 Local searches.

However, even if I put in $100 Max CPC with a $2000 Daily Budget, I get 0 estimated daily clicks. Why no clicks if there are searches?

This method seems kind of scatter-gun to me. Is there a more logical progression I should be doing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
So, that's where I'm at. I'm looking for more resources and will post anything worthwhile here. I would of course appreciate any feedback from the Fastlane intelligentsia

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks for starting this conversation. I will be removing the other comments from the other thread, to keep them separate.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
About resources...

There was a 30 Day Challenge course out there that explained a lot of these concepts. Do a search here in the forum about that, I am sure there are lots of good posts about that there.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
This is the site that Andviv mentioned: challenge.co

And this is just a quick copy / paste from a convo I was having with another member on here a while back about keyword research:

First use the google adwords tool to see how many exact match searches there are for those keywords a month. Try to choose keywords that get enough searches a month (3000 or more is the general rule) but are also keywords that someone is looking to (buy something)...

Then you can test out those keywords with adwords to see what's converting. Once you have that figured out you can start working on the SEO, on page and off.

With judging the competition, sure you can use Market Samurai. But in my opinion, all the SEOT-C-V stuff that they have on there is just gimmicky crap, it has no relevance on how difficult it will be to rank for those keywords. And I'm not familiar with what their "golden nugget keywords" feature is, sounds like more gimmicky crap to me, haha. The only thing that matters is the amount and quality of backlinks and on-page optimization the top 10 have. Well, domain age and and page rank influence it too, but to a lesser degree in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
but are also keywords that someone is looking to (buy something)...

Thank you for the help.

Can you give me an example of what something like this would be?

I understand how to look up keywords and searches, I don't understand what keywords I should be looking for that indicate someone is looking to "buy something" though. I think I have been doing this all wrong. I'm kind of like the 5 year old on the ski slope, I have just been flying down the trail, not knowing I don't know how to ski, but I have been having a hell of a good time...:rofl:

Sue

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007

Sure, here are a few ramdom examples:

"buy textbooks online" - 3600 searches a month
"tinnitus cure" - 4400 searches a month
"life insurance quote" - 4400 searches a month
"international flower delivery" - 2400 searches a month

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County

How did you come up with the list to begin with? I can see a need for a tool that spits out keywords that hit a range of monthly searches.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
Thank you for the help.

I understand how to look up keywords and searches, I don't understand what keywords I should be looking for that indicate someone is looking to "buy something" though. I think I have been doing this all wrong. I'm kind of like the 5 year old on the ski slope, I have just been flying down the trail, not knowing I don't know how to ski, but I have been having a hell of a good time...:rofl:

Sue

<sigh> She's been doing it right all along...just does not believe it...she is always overthinking things........doesn't believe me when I say something...<huge sigh>

LOL...

....but honestly (and in all fairness)...I'd much rather have her question and overthink than just accept and underthink.

Robert

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Thank you so much! That is what I thought and that is what I had been doing.

Sue

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
It's not hard to come up with keywords with tons of searches and low competition. For instance, an [Exact] search for "Beagles" yields 18,100 local searches per month, but LOW competition.

That tells me there isn't a market for the keyword. Maybe it's hard to monetize a site about beagles?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Keep in mind though, that the Competition column only relates to the number of ads that are being targeted for that keyword. It has nothing to do with SEO competition / difficulty to rank for that keyword.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Keep in mind though, that the Competition column only relates to the number of ads that are being targeted for that keyword. It has nothing to do with SEO competition / difficulty to rank for that keyword.

Presumably, if people were spending time, effort, and money on SEO to rank high for beagles, then it would also be worthwhile to spend on PPC also, no?

I've been assuming your PPC ads show up highlighted in yellow at the top of a Google SERP. Am I off base on this? If not, and there's no competition for the keyword, then I'd automatically show at the top of the page with and ad, right?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Presumably, if people were spending time, effort, and money on SEO to rank high for beagles, then it would also be worthwhile to spend on PPC also, no?

Not necessarily.

your PPC ads show up highlighted in yellow at the top of a Google SERP

Correct.

If there's no competition for the keyword, then I'd automatically show at the top of the page with and ad, right?

Most likely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.