The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launched my own clothing line (in less than 7 days)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
After more than a year of pseudo entrepreneurship with apps etc (just trying things out lol);
I created my own clothing line and webshop in less then 7 days (with help from awesome services)

The brand is called 10AM and the website is www.10amapparel.com

Together with a friend of mine we create minimalistic-"polyscape" inspired clothing

Here is one create by myself with the picture photoshopped on a model :p
524601-63979131f55347d7b87d9984f0a43616.png

Already made a mistake on the launch of making the clothes 5 dollars instead of having a 5 dollar-off sale lol.

Haven't had any sales yet.

I created a post on reddit to focus on the community of people who like these types of designs.
Got a 2000 follower Instagram account where I'm now preparing stuff for, I'll do a giveaway on there to begin with.

Feedback/advice is highly appreciated!

I'll keep you guys updated :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ilhan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 6, 2017
Netherlands
How do you go about getting your t-shirts made?

Also from a buyers perspective, what makes your t-shirts better than other ones?

also just a tip, try to get the t-shirts without bruises (if thats how it's called), they look kinda messy on the pics now

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
As I discovered in my journey, building a website and building a brand are two different things.

A few years back getting a ecom site up and running was a major expense. But these days you can do it in a matter of hours.

You are competing with the other 1000 people who built a clothing ecom site this week.

Good luck on your journey.

I would suggest you start learn how to build your brand.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

As I discovered in my journey, building a website and building a brand are two different things.

A few years back getting a ecom site up and running was a major expense. But these days you can do it in a matter of hours.

You are competing with the other 1000 people who built a clothing ecom site this week.

Agreed, the barrier of entry is significantly low.

Props, but Op's offering must be compelling enough for a LOT of people to buy. This is a volume game.
Of course, it's a fun experiment too

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
What is the expected COGS? What about CPA? Nobody is going to buy these shirts. The t-shirt design, product selection, checkout, website, product pricing, shipping times, and almost everything else is horrendous.

beloI7M.jpg

Look at the quantity under cart. See how I can't see the "1" because of the up/down arrows blocking it? That's just one example of why the website sucks.

How did you decide on product pricing? Why did you pick $25 instead of $20?

k2db25T.jpg

Do you see how there is a missing product on the 3rd column on the bottom? I've had these type of issues with my website and fixed everything in about 5 minutes because I was able to change things. It's so easy to fix. They are even using style=position: absolute; for the products! Total amateurs. You could probably fix it by making all your pictures the same dimensions though.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the feedback, never have to be scared to hear the cold truth here lol.

How do you go about getting your t-shirts made?

Also from a buyers perspective, what makes your t-shirts better than other ones?

also just a tip, try to get the t-shirts without bruises (if thats how it's called), they look kinda messy on the pics now
I get them printed and dropshipping from Printful, therefore I'm out of control with shipping times, even though if I use another ecommerce software it be a little bit faster.

In 2 weeks I will create pictures with real models, I could have more fake ones but I'll skip that.

First off they are sweatshop free, and design wise we will create new designs every week or so. So we will create as unique as possible t-shirts that keep improving.
I know people who have "rounds" of clothes for a limited time, I could do something like that too.

What is the expected COGS? What about CPA? Nobody is going to buy these shirts. The t-shirt design, product selection, checkout, website, product pricing, shipping times, and almost everything else is horrendous.

Look at the quantity under cart. See how I can't see the "1" because of the up/down arrows blocking it? That's just one example of why the website sucks.

How did you decide on product pricing? Why did you pick $25 instead of $20?

Do you see how there is a missing product on the 3rd column on the bottom? I've had these type of issues with my website and fixed everything in about 5 minutes because I was able to change things. It's so easy to fix. They are even using style=position: absolute; for the products! Total amateurs. You could probably fix it by making all your pictures the same dimensions though.

I can't change the site. I see 1 thing is missing if you have a lower resolution laptop and on firefox you can't see the quantity, they just haven't tested it good lol.

And for the rest I defenitly have to think about that. Ty for the honesty :p

Guess I have to think about some stuff now
:woot:

Last edited:

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
I get them printed and dropshipping from Printful, therefore I'm out of control with shipping times, even though if I use another ecommerce software it be a little bit faster.

So your cost is how much? Why didn't you start printful? Wow they started in 2013 and look how good they're doing. Already hit millions of revenue in a year. Tons of slowlaners with small clothing websites place an order with them every couple of minutes.

In 2 weeks I will create pictures with real models, I could have more fake ones but I'll skip that.

You don't need pictures with models.

First off they are sweatshop free

Nobody cares. American Apparel filed chapter 11 recently.

, and design wise we will create new designs every week or so. So we will create as unique as possible t-shirts that keep improving.

The t-shirt designs suck imho. New designs? All the t-shirts basically look the same.

I know people who have "rounds" of clothes for a limited time, I could do something like that too.

Nobody is going to be interested enough to stick around waiting for your new round of clothes to come out.

I can't change the site. I see 1 thing is missing if you have a lower resolution laptop and on firefox you can't see the quantity, they just haven't tested it good lol.

There's a LOT more problems than that. It's on all resolutions. Here's a pic on IE.

N90IVQp.jpg

Notice how the footer is showing but I've only scrolled down half way and also a missing shirt on the last row and first column? The website sucks big time. If Tictail only hired one competent person for one day they could fix all of this but no. There's also a "start a shop" bottom on the top right. So if your customers order from you they'll just go through Tictail next time and not you. It's like starting an Ebay shop to build a brand name. What a great idea.

regilmour

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 1, 2016
Boston
What material do you use? Where do you get the t shirts from? In my opinion, quality is the most important thing, then fit, then if I am happy with both the quality and fit, i consider the design.

Who is your target market?

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
So your cost is how much? Why didn't you start printful? Wow they started in 2013 and look how good they're doing. Already hit millions of revenue in a year. Tons of slowlaners with small clothing websites place an order with them every couple of minutes.

You don't need pictures with models.

Nobody cares. American Apparel filed chapter 11 recently.

The t-shirt designs suck imho. New designs? All the t-shirts basically look the same.

Nobody is going to be interested enough to stick around waiting for your new round of clothes to come out.

There's a LOT more problems than that. It's on all resolutions. Here's a pic on IE.

N90IVQp.jpg

Notice how the footer is showing but I've only scrolled down half way and also a missing shirt on the last row and first column? The website sucks big time. If Tictail only hired one competent person for one day they could fix all of this but no. There's also a "start a shop" bottom on the top right. So if your customers order from you they'll just go through Tictail next time and not you. It's like starting an Ebay shop to build a brand name. What a great idea.

First off I and other people like them at least a few designs, we will remove the ugly ones. We will keep on creating these types of shirts, if it hits. These shirts aren't made for everyone.

This is like a side-side-hustle for me, I didn't intent to build something brand new, just something to do with still putting my own twist to it to make it unique and wanted.

The guy who does rounds of clothes is a youtuber and makes tons of money, it does work good in certain conditions.

But I will try WooCommerce, that one got live shipping rates what makes it cheaper too.

Right now it's about 15$ per printed shirt

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
What material do you use? Where do you get the t shirts from? In my opinion, quality is the most important thing, then fit, then if I am happy with both the quality and fit, i consider the design.

Who is your target market?

Most are 100% cotton, bought some samples to try it them soon.

The target market are (young) artsy people who like minimalism/polyscape designs, we will continue to explore/research.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
All that stuff is nice, but what's the story and who are you targeting?

Everyone has a nice t-shirt website, so you have to answer the questions nobody else does.

• What niche is this for?
• Who is that person specifically?
• What are they like?
• How do they think?
• What do they identify with?
• How do they want your shirts to make them feel?
• What story does your brand tell?
• What story does each shirt tell?

Regarding stories, I'm talking about the story told in terms of brand imagery as well as copy. There should be an unspoken story and a story told with words. Even those who like your designs won't buy them if there's nothing to connect with.

Shirt stores are a dime a dozen. It's no longer about creating viral designs or mass marketing. You have to target a micro-niche around the people who already want the experience you offer. Right now that experience isn't clear. Right now it's just shirts. I don't know who this is for.

Some people like to watch t.v. <---- These people don't buy t.v. shirts.

Some like to watch Star Trek. <---- These people buy anything Star Trek but they have lots of options.

Some like the Klingons <----- These people buy Klingon shirts any chance they get because Klingon shirts are hard to find, and they identify so much it's all they talk about, it's all they think about, they even learn the language. These people are a micro-niche tribe and they'll pay higher prices for a Klingon tshirt because it defines them. It forms their identity. It tells their story.

Define your niche. Define your customer. Define your brand. Define your story.

Why should they buy from you?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Everyone has a nice t-shirt website, so you have to answer the questions nobody else does.

• What are they like?
• How do they think?

Regarding stories, I'm talking about the story told in terms of brand imagery as well as copy. There should be an unspoken story and a story told with words. Even those who like your designs won't buy them if there's nothing to connect with.

Shirt stores are a dime a dozen. It's no longer about creating viral designs or mass marketing. You have to target a micro-niche around the people who already want the experience you offer. Right now that experience isn't clear. Right now it's just shirts. I don't know who this is for.

Some like to watch Star Trek. <---- These people buy anything Star Trek but they have lots of options.

Some like the Klingons <----- These people buy Klingon shirts any chance they get because Klingon shirts are hard to find, and they identify so much it's all they talk about, it's all they think about, they even learn the language. These people are a micro-niche tribe and they'll pay higher prices for a Klingon tshirt because it defines them. It forms their identity. It tells their story.

(Hurries to the Google Keyword Planner to determine search volumes for "klingon t-shirts"... to the Facebook equivalent to determine how many people like Klingon... and to Wikipedia to find out how to say "Lex Rules" in Klingon...)

EDIT: In all my 45 years I've never uttered the word "hurries".

Great post Lex. Rep+

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015

• What are they like?
• How do they think?

Appreciate the priceless guidance!

There is a Japanese proverb: "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."
Normally I'm on the daydream side, now I just jumped right in without thinking about what I'm doing haha

It all comes back to me personally, and I hope I can have people that resonate with me, that is my main goal.
These designs are about *how do i explain* showing nature, and showing yourself with that.
ALERT VAGUE LANGUAGE IS COMING UP
The idea with the stars came to my mind because after star-gazing and listening to Alan Watts, that I was actually looking into myself; the universe itself. I want to show nature while at the same time show small "human" aspects like geometric shapes and a minimalistic design. So when a person looks at the shirt in the mirror, I want him to understand that he is looking into himself, a part of the cosmos :)

So if I see another person walking with my shirt on, I don't want to think "he likes brand ...", but rather that he likes the beauty of nature!

I want it simple, significant & authentic . That's where the shirts are about.

Now where do I find those spiritual hippies like me and convey my message good to them? Guess I'll have to find out :clench:

Btw I update the site with my own wordpress server with WooCommerce, @fhs8 must be very delighted about it :p

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

• What are they like?
• How do they think?

man this guy is good

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Don't forget to secure a license first. :innocent: :halo:

Rep+ @SinisterLex.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York

• What are they like?
• How do they think?

Another one added to my bookmark collection

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
So the rave scene?
Lol could be, if they mainly do it for the experience and not for bad escapism.

My perfect costumer would be:
(I'm just a little serious)

I see myself being like that in 5+ years :happy:

So it could also be for those van-life people, you know a person who suddenly became aware of their situation in life and decided for a change.
I mean everyone could wear the shirts but not everyone would get it, I neither want to discriminate certain people :playful:

Check out the new site, it got an HTTPS certificate too 10AM Apparel – Simple Is Perfect

Changed the background to video, think this brings it a step closer to the brand image, now I just need to put them into words :smile2:

Last edited:

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Hey guys heres a quick update!

So was focusing on the branding and soul searching and get some "ground" before I can jump forward.

It's all based around minimalism and freedom, so I don't want to use a lot of words (in real life that's also true lol).
But I do think with the new site it's making some nice progress, visually wise for sure.

I also found people who really like the designs and resonate with it, one person asked to model in it, another person will post a shirt I traded with him so he will post it on a 6000 follower IG account.

But there weren't really people who we're hooked and wanted to buy all of the clothes because there was barely any traffic on the site anyway. (haven't focused on it, only SEO to begin with)
Our IG account @10amapparel • Instagram photos and videos has 2000 followers right now, and get 50 likes due to the inactivity it has before, so I'm also still starting from scratch social media wise.

I'll have to continue to discover, practise and learn. :)

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
My own quick opinion on the website is that the background has a bit much going on especially for a minimalist t-shirt brand. The colors of the nebula clash with the prices especially. Maybe put them in a box like the "select options" button below.

That said I love the attitude, keep striving towards creating that brand identity!

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Nice to see Woocommerce. Now you need to remove the video background, add product categories, and fix/make a homepage just for starters. White is probably the best background for the T-shirts. I still don't think this will go anywhere near fastlane especially with the products and pricing. You're paying over retail for your t-shirts. $15 for each shirt? It should cost more like $1.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
There's a lot going on with that background... I'd also probably include the shirt material in the description. Is it 100% cotton? Is it pre-shrunk? I sure take that into consideration before purchasing a t-shirt.

LiveHappy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Oct 15, 2016
Texas
I thinks its cool that you're taking action. Congrats on that. T-shirts look ok - I don't know about the sweaters with the narrowing in the wrists... I don't think the same person who likes the design on the t will like the long sleeve shirt. Besides that I'd heed @SinisterLex 's advise - excellent.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Nice to see Woocommerce. Now you need to remove the video background, add product categories, and fix/make a homepage just for starters. White is probably the best background for the T-shirts. I still don't think this will go anywhere near fastlane especially with the products and pricing. You're paying over retail for your t-shirts. $15 for each shirt? It should cost more like $1.
I really like the background though lol, should find a middle way.
And my plan wasn't really to go fastlane, just to get experience and scratch my own itch to wear t-shirts I like :)
The shirts aren't cheap indeed, they are American Apparel (have no idea what to do when they are gone lol) and I dropship them.
I still want premium sweatshop free shirts but when I have enough sales I'd print and ship them myself.
There's a lot going on with that background... I'd also probably include the shirt material in the description. Is it 100% cotton? Is it pre-shrunk? I sure take that into consideration before purchasing a t-shirt.
Yes it's 100% cotton pre-shrunk! Thanks for the notice, I was trying to make my description as short as possible for now but I shouldn't forget things haha
I thinks its cool that you're taking action. Congrats on that. T-shirts look ok - I don't know about the sweaters with the narrowing in the wrists... I don't think the same person who likes the design on the t will like the long sleeve shirt. Besides that I'd heed @SinisterLex 's advise - excellent.
Thanks! I have the long sleeve shirt and I like it more than the normal shirt, that's why I give them 3 choices lol.
His advice is indeed amazing, just one of the many reasons this forum is awesome! Appreciate all of your advice also of course:innocent: :halo:

I'm also diving into deep learning, right now I'm working on (an existing project) having the computer learn a style of a picture and then apply it to another picture.
Like the app Prisma but then I'll be able to do it with my own style.
Later on I'd even like to completely let the computer create the designs, but I'll do that later on :cool:

cropped-10AM-Logo-Demo-3-Transparant-Final.png

Btw is the logo nice? We are working on some symbol logo's and I'd like to have your opinion on the font design.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
What's the story on this logo? Reminds me of Grant Cardone.
I was inspired by him
lol just kidding my friend (who also makes most designs) made it. We are still creating a symbol, had a clock that stands on 10:00 with the shape of a pyramid filled with stars. But the font is pure for aesthetics for now that will be added to the symbol later on maybe.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
I really like the background though lol, should find a middle way.

Only thing I can think of if you have to have the background is to put it in the header or footer. I wish the internet didn't have to be so plain and follow the same format but things have to be in a certain way in order to sell them well.

And my plan wasn't really to go fastlane, just to get experience and scratch my own itch to wear t-shirts I like :)
The shirts aren't cheap indeed, they are American Apparel (have no idea what to do when they are gone lol) and I dropship them.
I still want premium sweatshop free shirts but when I have enough sales I'd print and ship them myself.

This will be a learning experience. You'll be lucky to sell ten shirts by 2018.

As for the shirts I think more grey is better for both the pictures and rest of the shirt IMHO.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
My first order is in :D I already pre-ordered my lambo. Lol jk

But my goal is to double the sales each month.

I also got an idea to have a t-shirt generator. You'll be able to apply filters, like Instagram but also filters like the app Prisma where you can apply styles from other images to the design you want. Then afterwards you can have the image in shapes like what we have in our current designs.
I thought that it would add a dimension of fun and authorship to people that will provoke them to buy and show it to their friends much quicker.

A further goal is to completely let the computer design things from scratch, but that's one thing I don't know how to do yet haha :D

I also need more feedback, brand/marketing wise and product wise, but people are interested in our clothes, and if we approach people directly, surprisingly a lot like it even though I thought we were very nice oriented.

So if any of you have any ideas or feedback on the site, I would love to hear it!
For example the background video is cool but it may be too much. But I don't want to delete it and be done with it, if I take a step back I want to take 2 steps forward. (I thought of a shape/visual generator when you are moving the mouse on the site...)

With the time I I'm investing in it and what I'm learning from it, I believe it's going great!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.