• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Progress Thread Launched my own clothing line (in less than 7 days)

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Alxander, Jan 8, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Alxander

Alxander Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    After more than a year of pseudo entrepreneurship with apps etc (just trying things out lol);
    I created my own clothing line and webshop in less then 7 days (with help from awesome services)

The brand is called 10AM and the website is www.10amapparel.com

Together with a friend of mine we create minimalistic-"polyscape" inspired clothing

Here is one create by myself with the picture photoshopped on a model :p[​IMG]

Already made a mistake on the launch of making the clothes 5 dollars instead of having a 5 dollar-off sale lol.

Haven't had any sales yet.

I created a post on reddit to focus on the community of people who like these types of designs.
    Got a 2000 follower Instagram account where I'm now preparing stuff for, I'll do a giveaway on there to begin with.

Feedback/advice is highly appreciated!

I'll keep you guys updated :)

2. Ilhan

Ilhan New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    How do you go about getting your t-shirts made?

Also from a buyers perspective, what makes your t-shirts better than other ones?

also just a tip, try to get the t-shirts without bruises (if thats how it's called), they look kinda messy on the pics now

Arun Siva and Alxander like this.
  3. Gareth

Gareth Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,819
    As I discovered in my journey, building a website and building a brand are two different things.

A few years back getting a ecom site up and running was a major expense. But these days you can do it in a matter of hours.

You are competing with the other 1000 people who built a clothing ecom site this week.

Good luck on your journey.

I would suggest you start learn how to build your brand.

4. UnrealCreative

UnrealCreative 'Pre-Revenue' Unicorn Hunter Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $327
    Agreed, the barrier of entry is significantly low.

Props, but Op's offering must be compelling enough for a LOT of people to buy. This is a volume game.
    Of course, it's a fun experiment too

TrueCreator97 and Alxander like this.
  5. fhs8

fhs8 Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,487
    What is the expected COGS? What about CPA? Nobody is going to buy these shirts. The t-shirt design, product selection, checkout, website, product pricing, shipping times, and almost everything else is horrendous.

[​IMG]

Look at the quantity under cart. See how I can't see the "1" because of the up/down arrows blocking it? That's just one example of why the website sucks.

How did you decide on product pricing? Why did you pick $25 instead of $20?

[​IMG]

Do you see how there is a missing product on the 3rd column on the bottom? I've had these type of issues with my website and fixed everything in about 5 minutes because I was able to change things. It's so easy to fix. They are even using style=position: absolute; for the products! Total amateurs. You could probably fix it by making all your pictures the same dimensions though.

6. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    Thanks for the feedback, never have to be scared to hear the cold truth here lol.

I get them printed and dropshipping from Printful, therefore I'm out of control with shipping times, even though if I use another ecommerce software it be a little bit faster.

In 2 weeks I will create pictures with real models, I could have more fake ones but I'll skip that.

First off they are sweatshop free, and design wise we will create new designs every week or so. So we will create as unique as possible t-shirts that keep improving.
    I know people who have "rounds" of clothes for a limited time, I could do something like that too.

I can't change the site. I see 1 thing is missing if you have a lower resolution laptop and on firefox you can't see the quantity, they just haven't tested it good lol.

And for the rest I defenitly have to think about that. Ty for the honesty :p

Guess I have to think about some stuff now :woot:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Argue likes this.
  7. fhs8

Rep Bank:
    $1,487
    So your cost is how much? Why didn't you start printful? Wow they started in 2013 and look how good they're doing. Already hit millions of revenue in a year. Tons of slowlaners with small clothing websites place an order with them every couple of minutes.

You don't need pictures with models.

Nobody cares. American Apparel filed chapter 11 recently.

The t-shirt designs suck imho. New designs? All the t-shirts basically look the same.

Nobody is going to be interested enough to stick around waiting for your new round of clothes to come out.

There's a LOT more problems than that. It's on all resolutions. Here's a pic on IE.

[​IMG]

Notice how the footer is showing but I've only scrolled down half way and also a missing shirt on the last row and first column? The website sucks big time. If Tictail only hired one competent person for one day they could fix all of this but no. There's also a "start a shop" bottom on the top right. So if your customers order from you they'll just go through Tictail next time and not you. It's like starting an Ebay shop to build a brand name. What a great idea.

8. regilmour

regilmour New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $101
    What material do you use? Where do you get the t shirts from? In my opinion, quality is the most important thing, then fit, then if I am happy with both the quality and fit, i consider the design.

Who is your target market?

9. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    First off I and other people like them at least a few designs, we will remove the ugly ones. We will keep on creating these types of shirts, if it hits. These shirts aren't made for everyone.

This is like a side-side-hustle for me, I didn't intent to build something brand new, just something to do with still putting my own twist to it to make it unique and wanted.

The guy who does rounds of clothes is a youtuber and makes tons of money, it does work good in certain conditions.

But I will try WooCommerce, that one got live shipping rates what makes it cheaper too.

Right now it's about 15$ per printed shirt

10. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    Most are 100% cotton, bought some samples to try it them soon.

The target market are (young) artsy people who like minimalism/polyscape designs, we will continue to explore/research.

11. SinisterLex

SinisterLex The moments that define you have already happened. Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Here you have to know who's inside to get in.
    Rep Bank:
    $76,614
    All that stuff is nice, but what's the story and who are you targeting?

Everyone has a nice t-shirt website, so you have to answer the questions nobody else does.

• What niche is this for?
    • Who is that person specifically?
    • What are they like?
    • How do they think?
    • What do they identify with?
    • How do they want your shirts to make them feel?
    • What story does your brand tell?
    • What story does each shirt tell?

Regarding stories, I'm talking about the story told in terms of brand imagery as well as copy. There should be an unspoken story and a story told with words. Even those who like your designs won't buy them if there's nothing to connect with.

Shirt stores are a dime a dozen. It's no longer about creating viral designs or mass marketing. You have to target a micro-niche around the people who already want the experience you offer. Right now that experience isn't clear. Right now it's just shirts. I don't know who this is for.

Some people like to watch t.v. <---- These people don't buy t.v. shirts.

Some like to watch Star Trek. <---- These people buy anything Star Trek but they have lots of options.

Some like the Klingons <----- These people buy Klingon shirts any chance they get because Klingon shirts are hard to find, and they identify so much it's all they talk about, it's all they think about, they even learn the language. These people are a micro-niche tribe and they'll pay higher prices for a Klingon tshirt because it defines them. It forms their identity. It tells their story.

Define your niche. Define your customer. Define your brand. Define your story.

Why should they buy from you?

Tyr, KSR, LucasJames and 23 others like this.
  12. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $126,277
    (Hurries to the Google Keyword Planner to determine search volumes for "klingon t-shirts"... to the Facebook equivalent to determine how many people like Klingon... and to Wikipedia to find out how to say "Lex Rules" in Klingon...)

EDIT: In all my 45 years I've never uttered the word "hurries".

Great post Lex. Rep+

KSR, InitialX, Colin Panarra and 5 others like this.
  13. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    Appreciate the priceless guidance!

There is a Japanese proverb: "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."
    Normally I'm on the daydream side, now I just jumped right in without thinking about what I'm doing haha

It all comes back to me personally, and I hope I can have people that resonate with me, that is my main goal.
    These designs are about *how do i explain* showing nature, and showing yourself with that.
    ALERT VAGUE LANGUAGE IS COMING UP
    The idea with the stars came to my mind because after star-gazing and listening to Alan Watts, that I was actually looking into myself; the universe itself. I want to show nature while at the same time show small "human" aspects like geometric shapes and a minimalistic design. So when a person looks at the shirt in the mirror, I want him to understand that he is looking into himself, a part of the cosmos :)

So if I see another person walking with my shirt on, I don't want to think "he likes brand ...", but rather that he likes the beauty of nature!

I want it simple, significant & authentic . That's where the shirts are about.

Now where do I find those spiritual hippies like me and convey my message good to them? Guess I'll have to find out :clench:

Btw I update the site with my own wordpress server with WooCommerce, @fhs8 must be very delighted about it :p

moolah likes this.
  14. Javin

Javin Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $123
    So the rave scene?

Alxander likes this.
  15. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,873
    man this guy is good

InitialX and Alxander like this.
  16. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $73,134
    Don't forget to secure a license first. :innocent: :halo:

Rep+ @SinisterLex.

17. ProblemOd

ProblemOd Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,203
    Another one added to my bookmark collection

InitialX and Alxander like this.
  18. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,738
    Not hijacking this thread but @SinisterLex just dropped some 24K Gold info! Thank you! Congrats on your progress to the OP. Keep grinding.

Kingmaker and Alxander like this.
  19. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    Lol could be, if they mainly do it for the experience and not for bad escapism.

My perfect costumer would be: (I'm just a little serious)

I see myself being like that in 5+ years :happy:

So it could also be for those van-life people, you know a person who suddenly became aware of their situation in life and decided for a change.
    I mean everyone could wear the shirts but not everyone would get it, I neither want to discriminate certain people :playful:

Check out the new site, it got an HTTPS certificate too 10AM Apparel – Simple Is Perfect

Changed the background to video, think this brings it a step closer to the brand image, now I just need to put them into words :smile2:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    LifeTransformer likes this.
  20. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    Hey guys heres a quick update!

So was focusing on the branding and soul searching and get some "ground" before I can jump forward.

It's all based around minimalism and freedom, so I don't want to use a lot of words (in real life that's also true lol).
    But I do think with the new site it's making some nice progress, visually wise for sure.

I also found people who really like the designs and resonate with it, one person asked to model in it, another person will post a shirt I traded with him so he will post it on a 6000 follower IG account.

But there weren't really people who we're hooked and wanted to buy all of the clothes because there was barely any traffic on the site anyway. (haven't focused on it, only SEO to begin with)
    Our IG account @10amapparel • Instagram photos and videos has 2000 followers right now, and get 50 likes due to the inactivity it has before, so I'm also still starting from scratch social media wise.

I'll have to continue to discover, practise and learn. :)

LifeTransformer likes this.
  21. Colin Panarra

Colin Panarra Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $150
    My own quick opinion on the website is that the background has a bit much going on especially for a minimalist t-shirt brand. The colors of the nebula clash with the prices especially. Maybe put them in a box like the "select options" button below.

That said I love the attitude, keep striving towards creating that brand identity!

fhs8, Alxander and LifeTransformer like this.
  22. fhs8

Rep Bank:
    $1,487
    Nice to see Woocommerce. Now you need to remove the video background, add product categories, and fix/make a homepage just for starters. White is probably the best background for the T-shirts. I still don't think this will go anywhere near fastlane especially with the products and pricing. You're paying over retail for your t-shirts. $15 for each shirt? It should cost more like $1.

Javin and Alxander like this.
  23. Under-Dog

Under-Dog Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $592
    There's a lot going on with that background... I'd also probably include the shirt material in the description. Is it 100% cotton? Is it pre-shrunk? I sure take that into consideration before purchasing a t-shirt.

Javin and Alxander like this.
  24. LiveHappy

LiveHappy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $293
    I thinks its cool that you're taking action. Congrats on that. T-shirts look ok - I don't know about the sweaters with the narrowing in the wrists... I don't think the same person who likes the design on the t will like the long sleeve shirt. Besides that I'd heed @SinisterLex 's advise - excellent.

Alxander likes this.
  25. Alxander

Rep Bank:
    $1,851
    I really like the background though lol, should find a middle way.
    And my plan wasn't really to go fastlane, just to get experience and scratch my own itch to wear t-shirts I like :)
    The shirts aren't cheap indeed, they are American Apparel (have no idea what to do when they are gone lol) and I dropship them.
    I still want premium sweatshop free shirts but when I have enough sales I'd print and ship them myself.
    Yes it's 100% cotton pre-shrunk! Thanks for the notice, I was trying to make my description as short as possible for now but I shouldn't forget things haha
    Thanks! I have the long sleeve shirt and I like it more than the normal shirt, that's why I give them 3 choices lol.
    His advice is indeed amazing, just one of the many reasons this forum is awesome! Appreciate all of your advice also of course:innocent: :halo:

I'm also diving into deep learning, right now I'm working on (an existing project) having the computer learn a style of a picture and then apply it to another picture.
    Like the app Prisma but then I'll be able to do it with my own style.
    Later on I'd even like to completely let the computer create the designs, but I'll do that later on :cool:

[​IMG]
    Btw is the logo nice? We are working on some symbol logo's and I'd like to have your opinion on the font design.