The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
This is a serious question since I have never been to a business conference or keynote...

Have any of the Fastlaners in here got any value from a keynote or conference through networking?
The reason I ask is that there is an Aubrey Marcus & Gary Vee keynote in Austin, TX tomorrow night (only 2.5 hours long). I live in Dallas, TX so it would be about a 3.5 hour drive one way & I am considering going.

I know people's opinions on Gary Vee can be split, but me personally he has brought me tremendous value that has helped my mindset and how to grow my Amazon FBA business. I am also aware that he probably won't say anything new or life changing that he has not said before ,and the keynote will probably be up on Youtube within a matter of weeks.

With that being said, I am only considering it for the networking opportunities but also realized that attendees may be so focused on the presenters that they are kind of closed off from networking. If anybody was actually planning on going let me know. What has been your guy's experience with conferences and keynote? Is it just another form of action faking?

Shortened version: never been to conference, considering going but not sure if it's worth it for networking potential.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I've been going to conferences for more than a decade.

Some are worthwhile, some not. It takes a bit of time to determine which are worthwhile.

I still go to 2-4 per year and some of my best connections came from these events.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
I've been going to conferences for more than a decade.

Some are worthwhile, some not. It takes a bit of time to determine which are worthwhile.

I still go to 2-4 per year and some of my best connections came from these events.

Thanks for the response! Do you mind sharing which ones you have found to be worthwhile or the ones you go to consistently?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Thanks for the response! Do you mind sharing which ones you have found to be worthwhile or the ones you go to consistently?
I go to a couple of crypto events, an event targeted towards publishers of financial newsletters, and a couple of digital nomad events.

I'm speaking at one digital nomad event in Bankso, Bulgaria in a couple of weeks.

My company also hosts occasional events.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
What has been your guy's experience with conferences and keynote? Is it just another form of action faking?

Shortened version: never been to conference, considering going but not sure if it's worth it for networking potential.

There are certainly people who put far too much time and effort into conferences, but you're talking about one conference (and your first, at that) that's near enough to drive. If the concern isn't financial, then go, and worst case, you burn a day and know will know how to better gauge and take advantage of future conferences.

The biggest impact my first conference had on me didn't really have much to do with the speakers or even the other attendees, but it was amazing for mentally shifting me to where I really felt like a part of the industry.

Here's a post I made recently about conferencing, different industry but still mostly valid I think.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-built-from-scratch.73281/page-13#post-766250

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
This is a serious question since I have never been to a business conference or keynote...

Have any of the Fastlaners in here got any value from a keynote or conference through networking?
The reason I ask is that there is an Aubrey Marcus & Gary Vee keynote in Austin, TX tomorrow night (only 2.5 hours long). I live in Dallas, TX so it would be about a 3.5 hour drive one way & I am considering going.

I know people's opinions on Gary Vee can be split, but me personally he has brought me tremendous value that has helped my mindset and how to grow my Amazon FBA business. I am also aware that he probably won't say anything new or life changing that he has not said before ,and the keynote will probably be up on Youtube within a matter of weeks.

With that being said, I am only considering it for the networking opportunities but also realized that attendees may be so focused on the presenters that they are kind of closed off from networking. If anybody was actually planning on going let me know. What has been your guy's experience with conferences and keynote? Is it just another form of action faking?

I went to a Gary V conference in Dallas at the Lakewood Theater 2011. He is a good speaker and good presentation. He took questions from the crowd. I took my 19 yo kid at the time. It was mainly to promote his new book "Thank You Economy." About 1000 in attendance. I didn't do much networking although I imagine some did. The event wasn't set up for meet and greet though.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Conferences are great.

...If you speak at one and get paid for it. Be that person instead. Not the listener.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
The biggest impact my first conference had on me didn't really have much to do with the speakers or even the other attendees, but it was amazing for mentally shifting me to where I really felt like a part of the industry.
I enjoy writing conferences for the same reason - they are motivating. I haven't been to one in a while, because I haven't been writing, but years ago I landed a YA Sports Illustrated book (written on contract) at one, from meeting with an editor.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.